PDA

View Full Version : Drawbacks...

lara 4 ever
1st Nov 2008, 14:28
Having finished the demo, I realised that, despite all the goodies the game offers including graphics etc, there are some drawbacks...
First the camera which is in an awkward position and is showing lara from a very close aspect. Second and last is the breathing meter. Its duration is too long, causing the game to appear unreal...:(
What do you think? What are your problems?:D

I Liam I
1st Nov 2008, 14:31
the Camara is my issue but i will learn to live with it! like MOST people should! :rolleyes:
as for the Air Meter Lara has lots of storage for air! :lol: in her chest! :lol:

josh1122
1st Nov 2008, 14:31
Having finished the demo, I realised that, despite all the goodies the game offers including graphics etc, there are some drawbacks...
First the camera which is in an awkward position and is showing lara from a very close aspect. Second and last is the breathing meter. Its duration is too long, causing the game to appear unreal...:(
What do you think? What are your problems?:D

I think they stated that you breath underwater for so long and didn't want to give you a meter of how long you can stay underwater was because they wanted the player to be able to explore their under water environment without having to be restricted to coming back up to the surface every few seconds.

Wess~Gamer
1st Nov 2008, 15:30
Well, actually I think that air meter is more realistic now.
the world record holding breath under water is what? 17 minutes or so?
So why should Lara only do it for 20 seconds? :rolleyes:

Jurre
1st Nov 2008, 15:33
Yeah but those people designed their entire bodies through specific kinds of exercises to need as less oxygen as possible. They don't have to do climbing and jumping as well....

But who cares about realism? its the source of all evil in the game universe (together with grafics and fanboys)

rg_001100
1st Nov 2008, 16:59
But who cares about realism? its the source of all evil in the game universe (together with grafics and fanboys)

Although I loved the Floating Islands level of TR2... realism in a game is nice, so long as it's beneficial. 1-2 shots to kill a tiger in a TR game would only lead to a tiger-carpet across the level (and 6 or 7 tigers are plenty for a level), so I think having to dodge/jump your way around them is good. Lara being able to hold her breath for longer may not have made sense for Thailand, but it gives indication that there'll be levels with longer underwater sections (without breathing apparatus).

I think camera/animation have been the biggest disappointments complained about on these boards...

Jurre
1st Nov 2008, 17:20
Although I loved the Floating Islands level of TR2... realism in a game is nice, so long as it's beneficial.

Well lets put it this way: realism itself I think is a benefit when it makes the happenings more recognizable to the player who becomes therefore more sucked into the story and involved into the experience which is good. But of course games are there in the first place to step out of the rules of reality and doing really wild stuff nobody could ever do in real life. So with realism comes an enormous danger that it will make the game dull or even frustrating because the developers sacrificed workable gameplay and fun! for realism. This is a mistake I see Ubisoft making a lot lately.
I am very glad to see that the Eidos studios -not only Crystal but also Io- are maintaining the balance well by presenting very realistic enviroments and everything that makes fictional sense but not to forget to make some artistic liberties in order to fight frustration in gameplay as well as to spice the gameplay up by throwing in all the magic stuff, the giant spiders, the woman with the wings and everything else...

Chaostheory6682
1st Nov 2008, 19:47
My biggest issue was by far the camera, but then again that's been an issue with every TR game to date. I think maybe a little more so with this one. They should have worked on the realism a little more. I hate when there is obviously a ledge or rail directly above or below you that you could grab to get to where your going and it makes you do 3 jumps to the left, 9 up, 14 down, 553 in a circle just so you can basicly land in the same place(an exaaggeration but you get the point, it's a little irritating) plus they should have put a little more into the plant detail it's a little lackluster when the camera gets near it, a little Blurry. it took a few frustrating minutes to get the controls down(more than one fall into the water) and they should list CTRL as the drop button in the control configuration window instead of waiting untill your further into the demo and telling you when your hangin from a colum,we needed to use that control before that and it isn't listed as one of the controls. Thanks!!

And by the way the Demo runs great on my computer!!!

brat352
1st Nov 2008, 20:11
Okay so I've only gotten to just before the tigers, but come on, the camera angles absolutely suck! Trying to figure out where to jump and the camera is behind a plant? :mad2: I sure hope they fix that before the official release.

Although I do like the way she climbs now (is it my imagination or do her legs s-t-r-e-c-h w-a-y too far out when she climbs sideways? :lmao:

The sound and textures are beautiful (I have mine cranked up all the way - bought myself a brand spankin' new PC just so I could play this game: Vista 32 bit, Gateway Quad Core2 Q6600 @2.40 GHz, 3 GB Ram and SLI NVidia GeForce 8600GT with 512 MB memory - SWEET!) :cool:

Well, I guess I'll go back and try to kill the tigers, just had to drop in and give my two cents worth. Still not happy with the camera though.

brat352

Tihocan
1st Nov 2008, 22:12
I just hope that they tested the WCLD (the what could Lara do) concept. I've found bugs that worry me just a little to this end.

For example, the backwards handspring seems like a pretty obvious one to me, so I posted this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9K0eutU4o

Resy
2nd Nov 2008, 01:20
The camera angle never bothered me. But then again I'm always moving it around anyway.

Bluescreen_of_Death
2nd Nov 2008, 02:20

just to note, the world record for holding ones breath is around 10 min, and thats with somebody sitting completely still, not moving around / panicking / etc [there was a man who held his for 17 min, but he was allowed to breath pure oxygen for 20 min before going in, and as such, isnt recognized by AIDA]. the average breath for a well trained athlete is about 1-1.5 min with movement involved.

and, as others have stated, the camera is an issue for me. not only is it WAY too sensitive [but that could be my mouse... 3200 DPI ftw xD] but it tends to throw off the controls at certian points. Plus, the fact that headshots are only usable at certain times kinda threw me for a loop as I'm used to just aiming for somebody's face.

The graphics are nice, but there are a few bugs on my machine [like how shadows are blocky during a cinematic, some creatures would appear and disappear, etc] but that could be because of my 3870 X2 drivers not being optimized for the game. hard to tell in the demo stages lol.

but, major issue for me was the overall control system. I can be defined as a hardcore gamer. I have one hell of a PC sitting in front of me [Q9300 @ 3.39, 8gb ram, Radeon HD 3870 X2 1gb, 22" wide screen monitor, etc], and I'm used to my buttons being more easily accessed than "press [G] to lock on, and press [Q] while your target is close to perform a headshot!!" I could always go and rebind keys, but the game should come packaged with better controls than forcing me to strech my hand across the keyboard by default. I usually rebind keys to make my life easier and to use the two thumb buttons on my G9 anyway.

Plus, while fighting tigers, you have to dodge way too much, and they take way too much of a beating imho. if your fighting a tiger, things should be more of a cloak and dagger operation. Tiger sees you, you see tiger. tiger pounces, you retaliate, tiger retreats to try and attack from another angle rather than both of you are out in the open [in other words, better AI]. could be alot scarier that way, thus more immersing.

just a hardcore gamer's $0.02