PDA

View Full Version : The Exponential Function

Overtime
1st Nov 2008, 14:15
Hey,

So i just watched this long lecture on YouTube and thought it would be worthwhile to post it here. Since this is a DX forum, I can relate it by saying the game could include much of the content in this lecture video to explain the catastrophic collapse of human society.

In the prequel, the devs can draw from this information to set the scene for a society at its peak, but also on an irreversible path of complete collapse.

Briefly, the video examines the growth of population and oil consumption. This is NOT a politically charged video, but one that's made to make you think with simple mathematics. Im embarrassed to say that although im an undergrad physicist, I never made many of the rather simple connections presented here and have even taken some positions which the lecturer shows to be utterly ridiculous!

This is the lecture in question: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY&feature=related

P.S: This is not a standard rant on how the world is going to end. What separates this from all others is that simple mathematics takes the lead is used to project forecasts. Of course, maths/statistics can be used to support any argument if tinkered with, however, from my knowledge of maths I can say that his analysis was legit.

I dont expect any responses for at least an hour!

spm1138
1st Nov 2008, 16:11
Interesting.

So far he has made the assumption that statistics are accurate, that external factors won't intervene and also leaves out that most first world nations are not actually replacing their population quickly enough to sustain their economy hence the need for immigration and encouraging childbirth.

Haven't got time to watch the whole thing. If there's an executive summary somewhere that'd be nice.

Overtime
1st Nov 2008, 17:45
Interesting.

So far he has made the assumption that statistics are accurate, that external factors won't intervene and also leaves out that most first world nations are not actually replacing their population quickly enough to sustain their economy hence the need for immigration and encouraging childbirth.

Haven't got time to watch the whole thing. If there's an executive summary somewhere that'd be nice.

I dont know of one...When you have time, id recommend you finish off the parts since the really interesting stuff comes towards the end. I was worried that no one would bother to watch it since it is an hour but at least you watched a few parts!

He makes some very interesting points of how we need to fundamentally attitudes in society wrt consumption and the growth of consumption.

Again, since this is a DX forum, I think it would be great if the devs could put some of this info to explain the collapse of the world economy we saw in DX1.
After all, wasnt the grey death partly there to slash the world population?