PDA

View Full Version : Manual Ledge Grab...?

FinalKai
1st Nov 2008, 00:43
Anyone know if the option to allow a manual ledge grab will be available in TRU? Like it was in Anniversary? or is it just gonna be automatic like in Legend?

I'm playing the PC Demo...but I can't find the option to do so, and was wondering if it's not featured in the demo or just not featured in the game at all.

I Liam I
1st Nov 2008, 08:51
it will proberly be like Legend because the controlls. ie, we have sticky's so that takes up a button. and other moves which we didn't have in Anniversary!

RainaAudron
1st Nov 2008, 08:59
it is not in the demo?:scratch: I hope it will be in the final game, it is too easy without it:(

Atlantis3735
1st Nov 2008, 09:56
The developers felt that it would be too complex to have a manual grab, to shoot whilst hanging and to move at the same time. Therefore there will be no manual grab, sorry. But it's actually not that bad when not using manual grab. I used it at first in Anniversary and then realised that I prefer not using it. :)

Mr Croft
1st Nov 2008, 10:04
The developers felt that it would be too complex to have a manual grab, to shoot whilst hanging and to move at the same time. Therefore there will be no manual grab, sorry. But it's actually not that bad when not using manual grab. I used it at first in Anniversary and then realised that I prefer not using it. :)

It happened the same with me.:)
And now with all these moves, it is rather hard to use manual grab ;)

Spong
1st Nov 2008, 13:12
it is not in the demo?:scratch: I hope it will be in the final game, it is too easy without it:(

You got that right. I hated the auto-grab in Legend and was overjoyed to see manual control return in Anniversary. And now to see it gone again, Underworld is just Tomb Raider with armbands. It's like going bowling and having the gutters blocked with those big inflatable tubes.

Come on Crystal, bring the manual grab back! Pleeeeease!

Dr.Willard
1st Nov 2008, 13:16
I enjoyed the manual grab. I felt a bit more apprehensive with my jumps as I knew I had to time it right.

Jurre
1st Nov 2008, 13:20
Thats odd... In early previews they're was manual grab reported. Not that I could care.....

Atlantis3735
1st Nov 2008, 15:28
The manual grap was vital for the classics, but with the new control scheme for CD's games, I just don't need to use it. I used it for a while but it was a bit tedious with having the right bumper as the manual grab button.

I can see how it would be a welcome return for PC players because you can assign it to any key if I'm correct, whereas I had to have it as the right bumper or R1 which was not good. I've adjusted to auto-grab though and I'm perfectly happy with it now.

:)

FinalKai
1st Nov 2008, 17:11
Well, I mean...you'd figure that with their new feature of "player tailoring" they'd at least let us tailor a manual or auto grab feature as well.

I personally really like having to actively grab the ledge. It makes me feel more of a part of the environment and adds another sense of urgency to all of Lara's high flying maneuvers. Plus, I just felt it really helped Tomb Raider stand out from other platforming games. In most other platforming games (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted...) Everything is auto-function now, granted it does help streamline gameplay, but with the case of Tomb Raider, I just think it made it feel more immersive and real.

Hopefully it'll be in the actual game, because I honestly don't see why CD would leave that option out...

rg_001100
1st Nov 2008, 17:30

You got that right. I hated the auto-grab in Legend and was overjoyed to see manual control return in Anniversary. And now to see it gone again, Underworld is just Tomb Raider with armbands. It's like going bowling and having the gutters blocked with those big inflatable tubes.

Come on Crystal, bring the manual grab back! Pleeeeease!

Well, I mean...you'd figure that with their new feature of "player tailoring" they'd at least let us tailor a manual or auto grab feature as well.

I personally really like having to actively grab the ledge. It makes me feel more of a part of the environment and adds another sense of urgency to all of Lara's high flying maneuvers. Plus, I just felt it really helped Tomb Raider stand out from other platforming games. In most other platforming games (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted...) Everything is auto-function now, granted it does help streamline gameplay, but with the case of Tomb Raider, I just think it made it feel more immersive and real.

Hopefully it'll be in the actual game, because I honestly don't see why CD would leave that option out...

I don't think there's room on a PS3/360 controller without going stuffing the control scheme into over-context senstivity.
And what's so wrong with auto grab? It's just the same as holding down the MG-button all throughout the game :scratch: If it makes you feel better, you can pretend you're holding a button down, and just press "drop" every time you're not pressing it. :)

The manual grap was vital for the classics, but with the new control scheme for CD's games, I just don't need to use it. I used it for a while but it was a bit tedious with having the right bumper as the manual grab button.

It's not so much the "control scheme" of TR:L/TR:A, so much as the mechanics of moving around a level, that don't allow for "Manual Grab".
If the classics had automatic grab, it would be murder. In the classics, the player has direct control of Lara, and everything that Lara does (other than aiming).
The amount of ledge shimmying in the classics is pretty low compared to TR:L. There were some moments where it was a decent monkey swing, or ladder climb, but moving around a level was about jumping platform to platform, climbing/dropping, running around. Lara was on 2 feet for most of that.
TR:L/TR:A style of moving around a level throws the idea of jumping from platforms out the window. Lara shimmys across edges in TR:L/TR:A, jumping from edge to pole/edge, and vaulting up to move around. There's a few bits where she's standing on a ledge to jump across to another ledge, or using a grapple swing, but it's mostly clinging to the edges of ledges to move about.
TR:U implements balancing along poles on top of that. Because Lara can now shoot while hanging/balancing, it allows them to make traversing a pole a lot more exciting than a dull obsticle/corridor between platform 'a' and platform 'b'. Not so epicly exciting, sure, but there's more reason to for the balancing poles to be there in getting about an environment than just an excuse to hinder the player.
"Manual Grab" on a balancing pole?

Rusty_DK
2nd Nov 2008, 06:20

its not like pushing a button to grab a ledge manually really adds anything to the difficulty of the game...

kiss-bite
2nd Nov 2008, 06:47
The manual grab worked great in the classics obviously as the level designs always had it in mind but I feel it is less relevant in CD's TR. It makes sense, I think especially with Lara being able to now shot whilst climbing the manual grab could be a bit fiddly.:D

firesprite
2nd Nov 2008, 08:32
Anyone know if the option to allow a manual ledge grab will be available in TRU? Like it was in Anniversary? or is it just gonna be automatic like in Legend?

I'm playing the PC Demo...but I can't find the option to do so, and was wondering if it's not featured in the demo or just not featured in the game at all.
IFOUND this button ! Just press "E"