PDA

View Full Version : PC demo seriously lagging!!

blahblahperson
31st Oct 2008, 22:09
ok, so i donwloaded the TRU demo, and i played it and it is slow!!!!!! it stutters and its like slow mo even on the LOWEST SETTINGS!!!!

i pass the minumum and a little over but why is it so slow?!?!?!!! all my drivers are up to date and on my graphicse card, the settings for graphics are performance instead of quality so please help me!!

Dusk Knight
31st Oct 2008, 22:53
What hardware do you have?
I have a 3GHz Pentium 4, 3GB Ram, and an Nvidia GeForce 6800 (256MB).

It meets minimum requirements but the demo pretty slow for me too, even at lowest settings. I also find there is no noticeable performance difference between low and high textures. High looks much better of course.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any other way to improve performance except upgrade.:(

tomb_raider_fan_girl
31st Oct 2008, 23:01
when i download it, it says the file is corupt and i cant play! i wanna play!!!! :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Arnar
31st Oct 2008, 23:08
I know what you can do. Go to display something and take everything off no shadows or reflections.
then next go to the other display something and change the height and with to 960 and 4 or 5 hundred and something not quit sure and just try taking much stuff and put it on off it should work.

MissCroft88
31st Oct 2008, 23:11
ok, so i donwloaded the TRU demo, and i played it and it is slow!!!!!! it stutters and its like slow mo even on the LOWEST SETTINGS!!!!

i pass the minumum and a little over but why is it so slow?!?!?!!! all my drivers are up to date and on my graphicse card, the settings for graphics are performance instead of quality so please help me!!

that happens with my demo too... runs very good until the checkpoints and when the enemies appear and them starts going very slow for a while...first a thought that was my graphics card but when i try it in the lowest settings seems the same slower :confused: i'm happy i'm not the only one it means is from the demo and not from my pc :)

blahblahperson
31st Oct 2008, 23:16

It meets minimum requirements but the demo pretty slow for me too, even at lowest settings. I also find there is no noticeable performance difference between low and high textures. High looks much better of course.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any other way to improve performance except upgrade.:(

i have 2 ghz amd turion 64 x 2 mobile even my power plan is at high performance, texture filter something is 1, everything is off and its lagging it has one fps but when you visit the pda i get 167 fps its really frustrating:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

blahblahperson
31st Oct 2008, 23:18
I know what you can do. Go to display something and take everything off no shadows or reflections.
then next go to the other display something and change the height and with to 960 and 4 or 5 hundred and something not quit sure and just try taking much stuff and put it on off it should work.

like i said, everything is at the lowest settings so that doesnt help
ooh and the loading screen to thailand, i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"
its really frustrating

MissCroft88
31st Oct 2008, 23:20
ooh and the loading screen to thailand, i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " one of the ruins.......one of..........one of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"
its really frustrating

that happens to me too so i guess is from the demo not from ours pc's :) better that way is easier to resolve the problem :p

Dusk Knight
31st Oct 2008, 23:34
ooh and the loading screen to thailand, i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " one of the ruins.......one of..........one of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"
its really frustrating
That's also what happens to me.
In my experience, things like this happen when I try play games when I am under minimum requirements...

that happens to me too so i guess is from the demo not from ours pc's :) better that way is easier to resolve the problem :p
I agree. Either the demo is not properly optimized or someone underestimated what the minimum requirements should be. Not our fault either way.;)

Martin C
31st Oct 2008, 23:45
The demo isn't fully optimised from what I can tell. My PC is a medium/high end rig and I can play the game at 1400x1050 resolution max detail, antialiasing, antistropic filtering at max with V Sync on. The framerate is smooth as can be, yet when I use the auto lock on using the right mouse button the framerate comes to a complete stand still.

The thing that baffles me is that if I use the G key to do the same auto lock on the framerate is perfect. :scratch:

Martin C

tym
1st Nov 2008, 00:05
^ If so, perhaps they can patch the demo and game to make it run more efficiently. Wasn't there an issue like this with Legend?

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:12
I've played the demo this afternoon and I had no problems at all, not even any lagg moment on the highest settings

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 00:16
I've played the demo this afternoon and I had no problems at all, not even any lagg moment on the highest settings

it depends on the specs of your pc, what are your specs?

mine is amd turion 64x2 mobile tl 60 2 ghz
100 gb hard drive
3 gb ram
geforce 7150m/n630
directx 10

mine is pretty crappy:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:19
Too tired to look them up now and I don't know them by head

But I passed the min requirements just by a bit and everything works very good without lagging on the highest settings

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 00:30

But I passed the min requirements just by a bit and everything works very good without lagging on the highest settings
i pass the min requirements too and a little over but its really laggy

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:31
Hmm.. seems like some people have a laggy version and others don't... so weird :scratch:

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 00:34
Hmm.. seems like some people have a laggy version and others don't... so weird :scratch:

well can you send me a link where u downloaded it?

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:35
I dl'ed it on the other PC, I'll check if I can find it again tomorrow. I just clicked on one of the links this afternoon in the forum and it worked perfectly

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 00:37
I dl'ed it on the other PC, I'll check if I can find it again tomorrow. I just clicked on one of the links this afternoon in the forum and it worked perfectly

ok anyways how long do you have to wait on the loading screen with the natla stuff and thailand and does yours stutter?

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:39
I think about 30 seconds.. and yeah the sentence stuttered

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 00:56
I think about 30 seconds.. and yeah the sentence stuttered

well i waited for 5 minutes on the loading screen and how bad was your stuttering? is it just the audio stuttering or even the video??

MissCroft88
1st Nov 2008, 01:06
Look what i did with the arms of the Shiva :p

http://i38.tinypic.com/2q1to28.jpg

I know it has nothing to do with this post sorry :p but i did put the two arms of the Shiva down ;)

mikey716
1st Nov 2008, 01:32

I know it has nothing to do with this post sorry :p but i did put the two arms of the Shiva down ;)

omg omg omg omg i really love ue pic its so nice how u have shiva and then u have lara wit mud on her beaytiful

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 01:40

on the pc version or 360 version?

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 01:43
eidos please do something to the poor optimization of TRU demo and possibly TRU itself
(on the pc version)

CrisGer
1st Nov 2008, 01:50
the specs are clear and the cards they support are good for this. I have a 7600 FX and AMD 3300 and 2.6 gz and it si running like silk on highest settings, a great game and well done. try de fraging and turning off ALL other programs like the read me says, and trry again.

should work fine.

Moon32890
1st Nov 2008, 01:54
I've Been dying to get out of school go through the long download to play the demo and for what?!?! Just to find out my computer isn't good enough!!! What a stab to the heart!!!! Goshh if everyone is having trouble playing the demo than I strongly hate to see what happens when the real thing comes out!! Plus i just got my laptop in March!!! So What the Hell!!! Graphics Updated that fast!!! I Rather them postpone the game realease and fix this problem rather than me and several others throw our computer across the room!!!

bingojubes
1st Nov 2008, 02:00
if u are trying to play it on a regular laptop (not one made for gaming) that may be the larger issue. most laptops i think have integrated video memory, which is shared between the operating system, game itself, and graphics. if it is running slo on your laptop, that may be the case, cause your laptop memory (RAM) is shared amongst all the stuff AT ONCE. memory + CPU = processing power. laptop may not have enough to play Underworld.

GoLarago
1st Nov 2008, 02:16
For once I was not disappointed. This demo ran fast. After getting this freaking quad core 5 or 6 months ago and finding my new games ran better on the old single core; I was totally blown away with the look and speed of this game. She moves fast. Love the melee attack. I've got everything but v-sync and triple buffer on. Going to turn them on and try it again:eek:

bingojubes
1st Nov 2008, 02:26
you shall be amazed at the look after...i just maxxed all my options out, and it runs great!

Tips
1st Nov 2008, 02:29
the game run perfectly for me.:thumbsup:

bingojubes
1st Nov 2008, 02:34
sorry for all the repetitive posting in the forums, but this has to be said:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/guildie001/Snap1-4.jpg

buy that video card: all your problems will be solved :)

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 02:35
if u are trying to play it on a regular laptop (not one made for gaming) that may be the larger issue. most laptops i think have integrated video memory, which is shared between the operating system, game itself, and graphics. if it is running slo on your laptop, that may be the case, cause your laptop memory (RAM) is shared amongst all the stuff AT ONCE. memory + CPU = processing power. laptop may not have enough to play Underworld.

my laptop is for gaming, but its only a 7 series

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 02:36
the specs are clear and the cards they support are good for this. I have a 7600 FX and AMD 3300 and 2.6 gz and it si running like silk on highest settings, a great game and well done. try de fraging and turning off ALL other programs like the read me says, and trry again.

should work fine.
i defrag every single day and no apps r running in the background
my laptop ran TRA and TRL perfectly and this just lags:mad2: :mad2:

Shehi
1st Nov 2008, 03:01

Come on B, do not insult our intelligence! I am way past the recommended system requirements, game still runs around 20-25 FPS at 1280x1024 - I haven't even activated FSAA.. Yes, game is slow, not as good optimized as Anniversary was (I had it with all FX on at 1280x1024 resolution - FPS was above 60 most of the time). It is understandable that game has a lot of improvements, most of which are graphics-wise, which makes it very slow. Still tho, I believe it can be further optimized, Also, we should not forget that there might be few settings disabled in demo, those which we cannot access for now - when they become avail on retail version, it might be possible to disable a lot more unnecessary FX.

daygo
1st Nov 2008, 09:33
I passed the minimum requirements on the can you play it web site by the first mark, I think thats a quarter past the minimum, and am having no problems whatsoever, am using a gamepad though.:eek:

GoLarago
1st Nov 2008, 13:24
you shall be amazed at the look after...i just maxxed all my options out, and it runs great!

You were right! I figured it would slow her down or lag but it didn't. This is the first next gen game I've played on new rig and been pleased with the performance. Need to run FRAPS and see what FPS are.:nut: :lmao:

GoLarago
1st Nov 2008, 14:17
Just got thru' running thru the game again full spec and with FRAP's on. Its running in the 55 to 62 fps with drops down to 27 once in a while. I still see no lag or freezing of screen. If demo runs this good the full game will rock (he says this as he crosses his fingers):thumbsup:

blahblahperson
1st Nov 2008, 14:30
Just got thru' running thru the game again full spec and with FRAP's on. Its running in the 55 to 62 fps with drops down to 27 once in a while. I still see no lag or freezing of screen. If demo runs this good the full game will rock (he says this as he crosses his fingers):thumbsup:

thanks for rubbing in my face the fact that TRU doesnt run on my pc very well!

adisan
1st Nov 2008, 16:03
Not all the people has rigs like 8800 dualcore at 5g etc. I sincerely don't understand why these producers don't make games for all the users, how come DEAD SPACE works on my computer and this demo doesn't :mad2:

drkmandalorian
1st Nov 2008, 17:23
Athlon 64 3800 2.2 Ghz, 2G RAM, 8800GT. The demo runs incredibly smooth as silk for me, which surprised me as well, since this rig technically doesn't meet the minimum specs, as far as the processor goes anyways. The GT is obviously taking up the slack of the processor is all I can figure so if you have a pretty decent card and only a so-so processor, you might be good to go, unless this demo is deceptive of the requirements for the entire game. That has happened before in other games. =(

Resy
1st Nov 2008, 17:59
at least your demo tries to play. My demo took forever to DL and when I installed it, it loads up to the menu and then reboots my computer. :scratch: :confused: :mad2:

Why is it rebooting my computer? I know I meet the system requirements. I downloaded the demo right off Tombraider.com

Golden Laurel
1st Nov 2008, 18:06
ooh and the loading screen to thailand, i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"
its really frustrating
I know the same thing happend to me, eventuialy i just quite. :( I want a ps3 demo!!! or a demo that will actualy work on my computer!! :mad2:

MercuryRapids
1st Nov 2008, 22:52
Played the TR: Underworld PC demo this morning. Lovely looking game, but it doesn't half need some PC power behind it!

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5629/trunderworlddemo1amq4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/793/trunderworlddemo2aef0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/208/trunderworlddemo3amv8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/9061/trunderworlddemo6acr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/904/trunderworlddemo7aid2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2575/trunderworlddemo8apj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think I'll be getting it on XBox360 or PS3 rather than PC, as my computer struggles with the game, even when the game settings are lowered!

Here's my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor
3GB DDR2 RAM
256MB Nvidia 7600GT graphics
300GB HDD
Windows XP Home

GoLarago
2nd Nov 2008, 13:47
thanks for rubbing in my face the fact that TRU doesnt run on my pc very well!

I'm sorry blahblahperson I didn't mean to do so. I was just so supprised that the demo ran and ran so well (for me). Blacksite Area-51 was a nitemare on new rig (which I had to save for along time to get) until new game and video driver patches came out. I ended up haveing to play it on my old rig with the 13in CRT screen.:mad2:

Its bad enuf when your rig dies of old age its even worse to spend the money and nothing plays right.:eek:

trlestew
2nd Nov 2008, 14:03
sorry for all the repetitive posting in the forums, but this has to be said:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/guildie001/Snap1-4.jpg

buy that video card: all your problems will be solved :)

REALLY!!
that was the card i was planning to get before you even posted the pic.

Also it has to be the demo and not your pc's, it is not supposed to lag like that and possibly a patch should fix it? :scratch:

MissCroft88
2nd Nov 2008, 14:15
Also it has to be the demo and not your pc's, it is not supposed to lag like that and possibly a patch should fix it? :scratch:

I agree with you :scratch:

GoLarago
2nd Nov 2008, 17:00
I running a:
AND Phenom 9600 Quad core, 2.3 ghz
512 mb Nvidea 8800gt
4 gb of ram
Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
5meg cable conection

Is most everone that is having a problem playing this game running XP or Vista or is it a mix. I can't see a pattern yet. As for the long download, I believe it was1.3 gigs and took me almost 25 minutes to download which was slow. So that may be server problem.

Going to load it up on my old rig and see how it plays there . It has XP on it.

bingojubes
2nd Nov 2008, 17:02
lotsa ppl are having problems with graphics...their cards are not any of the supported ones.

jacobinos
2nd Nov 2008, 20:13
Hi,

I am also having some serious lagging/stuttering problems during the demo especially in the section after you kill the last three tigers as soon as you enter the narrow corridor, it slows down to a crawl for several seconds and then it gets to normal frame rates around 45fps but once you move it slows down again, also when you are attacked by bats and spiders it slows down, this is the worst part but it happens in other areas of the demo, apart from these sections when maybe textures are getting loaded for the remainder of the level the frames are good and smooth.

I have NO AA and textures set at high and the texture filtering is set at 16x Anisotropic and all other effects set apart from vsync and Triple buffering, resolution is 1280x1024.

PC specs: 2gb ram, 2x7800 GTX at 480/1300 and AMD x2 4400 at 2.45MHZ - XP - Forceware 180.43

bingojubes
2nd Nov 2008, 20:40
try gimping the game details a bit, to see if it helps. if you start by going through each detail slowly, u may be able to find a compromising solution to the framerate.

ray50
3rd Nov 2008, 15:55
Please include your video driver with you system specs. I would guess drivers could make a big difference in lag. I should get my new HD3650 tonight can't wait to try Underworld. I may try is on my laptop but the video is only X1400 but has 256meg. + 256meg shared so it may works OK.
ray50

daygo
3rd Nov 2008, 15:58
Mine is fine, it slows a little in couple of places in demo but otherwise is alright. graphics are awsome, better than crysis in my opinion.:rolleyes:

Darkiz
3rd Nov 2008, 16:35
This game is apsolutly perfect ......!!!

I played demo version on maximum ....

I have :
ati radeon hd 4450 ( graphic card )
dual core processor 2.5
3 ghz ram
640 gb hard drive

zr0
3rd Nov 2008, 16:49
TESTED

installing the lastest video drivers will reduce lags about 30%

GoranAgar
3rd Nov 2008, 16:54
TESTED

installing the lastest video drivers will reduce lags about 30%
Splendid.

daamenee
4th Nov 2008, 13:18
hey... i've downloaded the demo and played it once (yea its pretty slow) but the thing is when i quit game and tried to start again... i didn't know how to do it... like which file to click on...

blahblahperson
6th Nov 2008, 03:17
i have the latest drivers but it runs worse than TRL with next gen!!:eek:
but i still enjoy kicking tigers in the face

Bampire
7th Nov 2008, 08:58
My demo was slow too, but what made it slow was my RAM, and lack of a better graphics card. But it still worked and I managed to beat it within a 3 hour time limit. Slow, but oh so worth it.

Got to see how she moves, close-up and if they're screwed up or not. It was interesting.

pleomax
7th Nov 2008, 16:38
I get similar frame rates to other top games.

1680*1050 maxed i get minimum frame rate of 40 fps and average of 60 which puts it about the same as codemasters Grid on my comp.

i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"

Hahahaha your comp is too slow for this game.

I believe it was1.3 gigs and took me almost 25 minutes to download which was slow.

This was funny, some people waited like 8 hours.

Astara
8th Nov 2008, 10:13
its really frustrating
It finally gets past the first screen?

It just slowly displayed the first paragraph on the first scene -- but I didn't wait 5 minutes.
All key's locked out....

I only tried down to 1024x768 with all effects off.
I have 2 Xeon Core-2 Duo's at 3.4GHz (4 processors total), 4GB physical, (3GB software limited under XP (32-bit linux sees all 4GB! :-), )-- which is well above both the minimum and the recommended...
I have an Nvidia 4500 w/512MB video memory --

TRA runs easily in the 60-70 frames/second with max settings (4x anti-alias, 1920x1600 all effects on...etc).

Their recommended was 3GHz Core-2 Duo I've got 10+% on that and 50% more memory -- and the Xeon, I think has more cache (don't know what else it would be good for :-)).

Have the game on advance order from Amazon...wonder if I need to cancel it....

Naw....eidos will make it right....right??? They have such responsive customer support,
right?? :o

Aristillus
8th Nov 2008, 13:41
Hi There,

Just completed the PC demo, and I accept Tomb Raider: Underworld to be the best of the series and franchise.

The controls for the demo take a little getting used to, but all-in-all, navigation is quite simple. The graphics of the game are quite simply superb! Lara has never looked more lifelike, fleshed out and full-blooded. The game's environments equally look stunning, and without reservation, I commend the dev's on a job well done!:thumbsup:

Now, the point of my post is to respond to the OP's query regarding specifications required to run TRU. The first thing to understand and accept is that TRU will require a medium to high-end computer. Minimum spec requirements do not do modern games any favours, nor do they aid the gamer either. The minimum expectation of the gamer who shells out a fair bit of money on a game, should reasonably fulfil a level of quality for which the game is bought. Having a minimum spec computer will not enable the gamer to realise a level of expected quality that is in his/her head at the time of buying the game. I have always considered minimum specifications as a ruse to get a gamer simply to part with their money. Basically, the minimum specifications shown on the cover of the box need to be upped, so that they do not give a 'false' expectation of what one's computer is capable of in rendering and running the game.

The other options for this game are, of course, PS3 and XBox 360. I have been playing computer games since the original Doom came out back in '93, and have always upgraded my computer's innards as and when necessary. My computer today is something of a hybridized machine, where the various parts are balanced to provide speed, quality, and stability. To buy a similar machine as mine today would probably set you back just over a £1000-00, and unfortunately, for many younger gamers this is prohibitive. Nevertheless, the PC remains the ultimate gaming machine, but at both a cost and in maintenance time. This is the route I prefer to follow, no doubt others will hold different opinions on the matter; nevertheless, the dev's produce games to the benchmarks set by current computer technology, and then downgrade (I assume) to produce it for mainstream porting to other platforms.

Modern games look at a computer's specs and set the game to optimal usage during installation, and often, this leads to a disappointing experience of the game itself. The only way to overcome the experience of disappointment is to ensure that one's computer not only matches minimum spec, but exceeds it by a factor of at least 50%.. Furthermore, one also needs to ensure that one's drivers for motherboard, graphics, and sound are as up-to-date as possible...this is very important! Also, that one's power supply is large enough to feed the computer's components, and to have power in reserve: a wattage of at least 500 will do fine.

It goes without saying that one's computer components need to be the best one can afford, and it is essential that potential 'bottleneck' problems are avoided, so they need to be well-matched for a balanced machine. It's a simple and basic PC philosophy, to provide oneself with a machine that can fall back on plenty of reserve power and function in order to gain a superb PC experience, especially with PC games. Here are the specs for my machine...

AMD Dual Core 64 3.6hz
Gigabyte S-series motherboard
4GB of balanced ram
Palit GeForce 8800 GT super+ 1GB graphics card PCI express 2.0
Creative Labs X-Fire Fatal1ty Champion series sound card
600 watt power supply
32" Samsung HI-DEF TV
Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system...this is by no means a high-end system, but it plays any game I throw at it, and at high specification. Hope this helps in making a informed choice when it comes to buying PC games.

Best wishes

fbacall
8th Nov 2008, 14:15
The GeForce 7150M is an integrated graphics card and is not meant for playing games on.

TR:U is way more graphically intensive that TR:L and TR:A, and perhaps could use some optimization. I could run Legend and Anniversary on max settings without lag, but with Underworld, even on minimum settings my game lags .

qwerty
8th Nov 2008, 14:36
not even 1 lag for me.graphics on high,aliasing x4 and the game looks brilliant without probs

My dog Max
8th Nov 2008, 14:45
lucky you some people could not play the demo at all:)

lara778
8th Nov 2008, 15:00
ooo... can I have one of each too please:D
and a new comp to play TR:U

TF.Denis
8th Nov 2008, 15:24
lucky you some people could not play the demo at all:)
you forget something in the shoping list...a new croft manor...anyway it`s something that made me laugh for a moment...also my demo runs ok too...maybe a litlle slow...but only a litlle...anyway everyone has to buy a new card...more than 8000gt..

CL489
9th Nov 2008, 23:08
Hi. I just downloaded the demo for TRU last night and I seem to be having the same problems with lagging that some other people are having. The loading screen takes a good 5 minutes to go away and then the cinema stutters like crazy. Just the way blahblahperson described it: "it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"". I'm not a very technical person so I found a site the states all the specs for my comp. and I'll paste that in below. Maybe someone can make sense of it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=hp+pavilion+dv6000+specs&cid=2575833440148160150#ps-tech-specs

If my computer just sucks and isn't capable of playing the demo, that's ok. I've never played any PC games on it before, so I don't know if it can play PC games or not. I just would like to know if there's any way I can fix the problem without having to buy anything. If not, I can just buy one of the console versions when it comes out. Thanks for your help.

-CL489

bingojubes
10th Nov 2008, 00:49
you may have to gimp a few items as far as graphics, but it may be safe to say it should run "okay". vista takes already 1GB of the 3 GB u are getting, so you have 2GB left. after video ram (256MB), that right there may kill it - laptop video chips aren't supported too well with Underworld.

CL489
10th Nov 2008, 01:10
you may have to gimp a few items as far as graphics, but it may be safe to say it should run "okay". vista takes already 1GB of the 3 GB u are getting, so you have 2GB left. after video ram (256MB), that right there may kill it - laptop video chips aren't supported too well with Underworld.

Hmm...okay. This may be a stupid question, but how can I turn down the graphics on my comp.so that it'll run better?

-P.S. Thanks for responding!

bingojubes
10th Nov 2008, 03:43
you can't gimp computer graphics, only game graphics thruogh the game's settings in the options menus.

1. could try using the "classic" desktop mode, which changes the look of the desktop to windows 3.1, relieving stress on overall system performance. (vista)

2. turn off/disable all non-essential background tasks like anti virus, and other stuff like music players and background changers. try to have as little programs running all at once as possible, see if that works.

3. defragging the hard drives may help as well. fragmented information on a PC can cause slow performance in the long run, so defragging will consolidate all that data, improving performance.

4. run a system wide disk cleanup, removing excess, un-needed files.

5. try hiding all desktop icons: you end up using some of your system memory by keeping too many things on the desktop. try temporarily moving the icons into one folder, or hiding them.

sikasika
10th Nov 2008, 04:02

I have 2 pc`s
the one I have the demo on is weaker than yours, but how come it runs tru demo perfectly with the highest settings on?
I find this strange.
and my other pc had better graphics than the one i downloaded the demo for first.
though i had the same settings and it runs the demo perfect too.

bingojubes
10th Nov 2008, 05:01
whats the clock speed of the 256MB 6800 nvidia? is it DDR1 or DDR2 OR DDR3? judging by the recommended ATI Radeon card (4800) that supplies the gamer with at least 1500MB of video RAM. i run a DDR2 1GB video card (3650) and it says i have 2GB, which makes the cut.

@ DDR1 = 256MB. short.

@ DDR2 = 512MB. short.

@ DDR3 = 768MB. short.

@ DDR4 = 1024MB. closer to the recommended specs.

i think that the newer nvidia cards are pushing 512MB-1024MB+, so those numbers at those clock speeds will reflect that. i am not an nvidia user (!ATI all teh way!) but if you are running that card + alot of system memory, the extra memory i think will get taken from the system ram pool of what is leftover, so u will end up with less performance.

CL489
11th Nov 2008, 20:32
you can't gimp computer graphics, only game graphics thruogh the game's settings in the options menus.

1. could try using the "classic" desktop mode, which changes the look of the desktop to windows 3.1, relieving stress on overall system performance. (vista)

2. turn off/disable all non-essential background tasks like anti virus, and other stuff like music players and background changers. try to have as little programs running all at once as possible, see if that works.

3. defragging the hard drives may help as well. fragmented information on a PC can cause slow performance in the long run, so defragging will consolidate all that data, improving performance.

5. try hiding all desktop icons: you end up using some of your system memory by keeping too many things on the desktop. try temporarily moving the icons into one folder, or hiding them.

Hi! Sorry it took me like, FOREVER to respond. I've been really busy lately. Anyway, I took your advice and turned down the graphics for the demo, put all my desktop icons into one folder and turned off all background programs, and it runs better, but it's still really jumpy. I'm afraid I don't know how to do #1, 3 and 4 on your list. If you could explain how, that'd be great. Thanks!

-CL

P.S. Thanks so much for helping me!

bingojubes
11th Nov 2008, 21:03

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/guildie001/Snap1-5.jpg

right-click the desktop and go to Themes in the Personalization menu. change the current selection to "Windows Classic". doing this wont have all the fancy-schmansy Aero graphics to manage...just plain ol' school windows.

these are found in ---

START > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
* Should only take a minute or two, depending on how many/how big the files are, if any.

START > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
* Note that this takes a long time with Vista

CL489
11th Nov 2008, 21:13
OK. Thanks! I'll try it right now. :)

Dr.Willard
12th Nov 2008, 15:56
Hey guys, I am just wondering if any of you can help with a problem.

My version of the demo was laggy rendering the demo unplayable. However, I rechecked if my computer could handle the game (systemrequirementslab.com I think it is) and it once again said I could handle the game.

So I checked if my drivers had been fully updated and I found that they hadn't. Could this be the source of my problem?

bingojubes
12th Nov 2008, 16:51
that could well indeed be a possibility. updating drivers to their latest versions sometimes adds/modifies the existing ones to sty up to date.

CL489
13th Nov 2008, 03:52

OK. So I've now tried EVERYTHING you recommended doing and the demo still lags quite a bit. It's BETTER but still not even close to OK. So, I'm thinking that my comp. just sucks and cannot play the game (even though it meets the minimum requirements). I cannot think of anything to do to fix it, unless there is a specific combination of graphics specs that I need to apply in order to get it to work. Could you tell me what exactly to gimp the graphics to? I know this probably getting annoying, but I'm REALLY desperate to play the demo before the game comes out since it's in my comp and I can't play it and it's driving me mad!

Anyway, thanks for your help. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'll just have to wait til the console versions come out. :(

-CL

pleomax
13th Nov 2008, 04:50
You need to aim for the recommended not the minimum. If ur comp is not powerful enough then nothing is going to change that.

I think underworld runs quite well, it's much faster than assasins creed which on the same settings lags like a mofo.

bingojubes
13th Nov 2008, 04:54
You need to aim for the recommended not the minimum. If ur comp is not powerful enough then nothing is going to change that.

I think underworld runs quite well, it's much faster than assassin's creed which on the same settings lags like a mofo.

agreed. assassin's creed runs about the same speed as underworld for me, but hopefully everything works out for you, CL489. if you are shooting for just the minimum, you'll just end up needing to upgrade the computer. but Underworld will have a multi-platform release, so good luck with that.