PDA

View Full Version : No TRU Demo for Me...

Facu!
31st Oct 2008, 20:50
I downloaded the TRU Demo but, as it has happened to a lot of people, an error window pops up indicating that it "Failed to initialise Direct3D with current settings **** "... I've checked the FAQ and this means my computer doesn't reach the minimum system requirements... That's a bummer!

Apparently Eidos or CD haven't even thought of us people who do not have high-end PCs this time around. I remember that one of the things I liked the best about TRL and TRA was that you could still play them (maybe not with the best textures or rendering) even is your computer was somewhat crappy. What happened this time? Is everybody supposed to run to the store and buy the latest graphics card available? I know I can't, I don't have enough money and the only game I play is TR, since other games don't even interest me. Obviously, the next-gen content is a great improvement for those who do have those graphic cards. I'm not complaining against that, but there's a lot of us who prefer playing the game in not-so-great textures than not playing at it at all. And on top of that, a version of TRU for the PS2 (obviously not as good in terms of graphics to that of the PS3) will be sold. So why not a PC version that a wider range of computers can run, not only the high-end ones?

I hope the final PC version takes this fact into account... I'm full of questions right now :confused:

qwerty
31st Oct 2008, 20:57
totally agree with you(i used to have such a crappy pc that it couldnt afford trann)

tym
31st Oct 2008, 21:01
^ Thirded. If that's really the cause of the Direct3D error (as opposed to a bug in the demo), then I'm very disappointed in Crystal Dynamics and Eidos. Purchasing a new machine is out of the question, so I'd simply save my money by not buying the game. It does seem that this time around they are pushing the console versions and leaving the casual PC gamer in the dust.

However, check this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=81793) for a possible workaround. I haven't tried it yet, though.

blyng105
31st Oct 2008, 21:08
I was able to download it but it would take 335 hours thats about 2 weeks:mad2: :eek: :mad2: :eek: :mad2:

tombraiderlaracroft1
31st Oct 2008, 22:54
mine did the same i have 2 wait 3 weeks and cancel the pre-order for TRU on PC thanx eidos........................ FOR MAKING LIFE HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Facu!
31st Oct 2008, 23:38
I'm so glad I didn't pre-order the game... Now the only chance for me to get the game is winning the contest I entered at Stella's Tomb Raider site :lol:
If I win I will put the game on a pedestal and look at it every day - then run off to the computer to search YouTube for TRU video walkthroughs because that's as close as I'll get to actually playing the game :lmao:

tym
31st Oct 2008, 23:52
^ Yep...glad I didn't order the game either, since I'd need to add a couple thousand dollars for a new computer!

Maybe in a few years I'll pick up a copy in the bargain bin or something. I'm so disappointed right now I'm not sure I'll be coming back.

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:00
Yes it does need a very good PC indeed.. just like many other games of this generation, so I don't see why you are blaming CD and Eidos, as they probably did their best to get lowest requirements possible..

tym
1st Nov 2008, 00:04
Yes it does need a very good PC indeed.. just like many other games of this generation, so I don't see why you are blaming CD and Eidos, as they probably did their best to get lowest requirements possible..

The volume of comments from people here who are unable to play the demo (or have it play poorly) is telling. It suggests to me that CD/Eidos missed the mark with the requirements.

Final sales will be the ultimate acid test, however.

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:09
You expect games of this generation to run on some old computer? I hope not.. else you're out of your mind. And a new PC for getting the min requirements costs about € 1000, it's not that much

tym
1st Nov 2008, 00:13
You expect games of this generation to run on some old computer? I hope not.. else you're out of your mind. And a new PC for getting the min requirements costs about € 1000, it's not that much

No need to be insulting. As I've said elsewhere, my machine (a laptop, even!) meets all requirements except for having pixel and vertex shader 2.0.

And for some, $1300 is a fair chunk of change. I guess casual gamers need not apply, huh?

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:15
I didn't mean to be insulting, and I know it's quite much money for some people.. I guess I'm just lucky then, oh well as I said before, i'm not insulting anyone

tym
1st Nov 2008, 00:17
Understood.

I will proudly stake my claim in the "some people" camp. ;)

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:18
Hehe, by reading other threads the pixel and vertex shader seems to be a big issue :scratch:

Rai
1st Nov 2008, 00:34
You expect games of this generation to run on some old computer? I hope not.. else you're out of your mind.

How old is 'old'. More than a year...or two? My laptop isn't that old and I can't play the demo, my video card isn't as powerful as it should be to run the game. I'd get the PS2 of the complete game,, but my son's console isn't working too great either :(. I think maybe CD overstretched the game's capabilities just for a few extras that aren't essential. Too many people go for looks in a game, I guess.

I realise that you weren't trying to be insulting, but that line about being 'out of your mind' was a tad rude. Ah well, you already apologised. ;)

Brambo111
1st Nov 2008, 00:37
Oh sorry Rai :o I shouldn't have said it.. and by old I mean 1-2 years (mine is like 6 months)

And I'll prob get the full PS2 version too, playing on consoles is more fun imo :p

Rai
1st Nov 2008, 01:11
Well lucky you! ;) .

and I agree, I prefer plying on the console too...or with a gamepad. but as I say, my son's PS2 isn't working too good either.

my birthday is in a month....:p

Tips
1st Nov 2008, 01:32
I'm lucky, i've got a good pc so i can play the demo without problems. However, i will buy it on Ps3, i prefer play on console system.:thumbsup: In my point of view, pc is better for fps, tactical, point & click games and so on....The game seems really interesting but the graphic isn't revolutionary.

Moon32890
1st Nov 2008, 02:06
Yeah KNow what you mean Cause TRA worked just fine on my laptop when the analyzer said i was low on graphics. To me thats funny cause i just got this laptop in march!! so how the hell are my graphic cards bad already??? I just want to play the game!! I don't need all that HD fancy smancy. Just make the game to were i can play in peace without having to spend $300 or more just for a Graphic card or whatever. Futhermore keeping up to date with these graphics is hard cause by time you up date they got a bigger better version and then it keeps repeating itself!!!

Tips
1st Nov 2008, 02:14
Yeah, we will need to pay a new graphic card every month.

The game may don't correctly run with these cards :

ATI : Radeon X1300, Radeon X1500, HD 2300/2400, HD4550
nVidia : GeForce 6200, GeForce 6600, GeForce 7300, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8500, GeForce 9400/9500

bingojubes
1st Nov 2008, 02:22
Just assume is that the "minimum" requirements is the computer setup the game was created on - never fails for me. having the "recommended specs" just ensures all the bases are covered for maximum game experience. sorry for the ranting, but i forsee that this may be the last Tomb Raider to ever hit the PC, depending on the sales. game developers are pushing the envelopes of playability and graphics. sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and either upgrade or forget about it for awhile.

heck, if you wait to upgrade long enough, the game would be eventually cheaper than when it was originally released.

i have the x360 controller i use with my vista machine - very VERY awesome gameplay experience.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/guildie001/Snap1-4.jpg

buy that video card: all your problems will be solved :)

LC is Me
1st Nov 2008, 12:16
My computer meets the requirements and it doesn't work.

It's a freakin' bug in the demo.
I'm so pissed off right now.

GoranAgar
1st Nov 2008, 12:24
If your hardware meets the requirements your graphic card or sound card drivers are too old. Upgrade all drivers!!!

pleomax
1st Nov 2008, 15:36
Maybe they have made it a bit demanding, i don't know.

I can run the demo fine, maxed 1680*1050 4*AA. I get average 50fps which is acceptable.

In aniversary i used to get silly frame rates like 350 fps in places same settings as above.

So i can see how some of u lappys were able to run it.

Even if u didn't get that direct3d error, it would be so slow that u wouldn't be able to play it anyway.

lara778
1st Nov 2008, 16:45
Yeah, we will need to pay a new graphic card every month.

The game may don't correctly run with these cards :

ATI : Radeon X1300, Radeon X1500, HD 2300/2400, HD4550
nVidia : GeForce 6200, GeForce 6600, GeForce 7300, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8500, GeForce 9400/9500

my niece managed to get the demo to run with a geforce 6600, not as fluidly as it should, but at least i got a chance to try it before the card gave up with a headache:nut: after about 30 mins
i'm looking forward to getting the game
i know there are so many negatives posted at the moment, and a lot of disappointed people who have had problems with downloads etc. but from what i could see, i think the game is going to be excellent:) {fingers crossed}

Angie Croft
5th Nov 2008, 09:13
I'll by the game, frame it and look at it every *uckin' day and imagine how it would look like if I had the chance to play it :( :( :( :( If it wasn't so sad, It would be hilarious!!!!!!!

munchkin21
5th Nov 2008, 11:27
i didnt reach even the minimum requirments of that DEMO

but my downloading time is 7hrs. only...

and it got a problem about the "failed to initilize Direct3D etc..."

Xenthia
5th Nov 2008, 11:35
Actually I must say I'm extremely pleased with the TRU demo's system requirements.
My computer is quite old too (I have it for about 6 years now) and there was no way I could enjoy playing TR Legend with the next gen features. But TRU runs smoothly with quite a high resolution (1280x960) and all graphic effects turned on, which is great!
I just hope the final version will be the same.

If all new games were be like TRU, I'd be very happy. Well done, CD!

:thumbsup: