PDA

View Full Version : nothing is powerful enough

Golden Laurel
31st Oct 2008, 19:06
Alright, so i heard about the pc demo, and since they aren't realesing a ps3 demo, (all i have is ps3 and computer) i figured i could get the pc demo right?? :mad2: nope aparently not. I have 4 computers (mine, my moms, my dad's and my sisters) and i went to the thing that lets you know if your system can handle it, right? so i did that with all 4 computers, and they all failed both the minumum and the recomended hardware drive thing, graphics w.e. and i dont have enough money to upgrade any of my computers.

Is there anyway i can play the demo? I alredy tried downlaoding it on one of the computers and it said something like Tomb raider underwrold error, "failed to intitualize direct 3d..." :mad2: Is there any way to get past this without paying money for an upgrade?

thanks for your help ;)

tym
31st Oct 2008, 19:09
^ I too would like to know if there is a workaround--or if this is a possible bug as it seems to be affecting a good number of people.

Unless, of course, CD has partnered with graphics card manufacturers and is trying to get everyone to upgrade...

Golden Laurel
31st Oct 2008, 19:13
So im not the only one with the problem?? *phew* that makes me feel a little bit better....i wonder if they will release a less graphical version of the game (if that makes any sense :nut:) i meen to say like a demo that will work on most computers... i dont know how to put it. currently im trying to downliad the demo on the computer that came the closest to passing...i hope it works :mad2:

trlestew
31st Oct 2008, 19:39
I finnaly got the guts to try the demo on my crappy video card and i get the same error:(

i MAY have found a solution, its a tool called 3d analyzer which emulates pixel and vertex shaders and hw transform and lighting, i never tried it though and it may be risky.....

Dusk Knight
31st Oct 2008, 23:09
From the FAQ...

- Direct3d couldn't initialize - graphics card is under spec
No real workaround besides upgrading. :(
Even if you could emulate the needed GPU effects, performance would be way too slow to enjoy it.

I'm sure the PS3 version will be silky smooth and look great. So it's just a matter of time... :D

tym
31st Oct 2008, 23:33
^ I guess CD wants to push console games.

Unfortunately, Tomb Raider is the only game I'm interested in playing and I don't have a console, so that's just lost revenue for CD.

Golden Laurel
1st Nov 2008, 00:51
Thanks for the help guys, its sad to hear that ther's no safe solution though :(

bingojubes
1st Nov 2008, 02:14
PC games i think are beginning to become phased out of the market. i find myself even more carefully pondering purchases of "new" and existing "ported-over" games in the past few years. most games begin their debut on/for consoles to maximize a company's profits.

i get worked up about any game game that interests me and is debuting for the PC. maybe games are becoming too cliche and "redesigned", and i hope that games dont start to puch the hardware aspect of computers too fast: got to let those with average/below average computers catch up and enjoy the game like everyone else.

another thing to assume is that the "minimum" requirements is the computer setup the game was created on - never fails for me. i have saved a lot of money doing so. having the "recommended specs" just ensures all the bases are covered for maximum game experience. sorry for the ranting, but i forsee that this may be the last Tomb Raider to ever hit the PC, depending on the sales.

as for the "direct3d error" whatever it needs to "draw" i guess has to be drawn. if one of those computers supports expansion, try pulling together parts from both computers and throwing them into one? kinda like 2 decent cars put into one car for maximum awesome? (if that analogy made any sense).

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/guildie001/Snap1-4.jpg

buy that video card: all your problems will be solved :)

The One74
1st Nov 2008, 02:32
PC games r the futeure.
There R no limits to a PC game, U have to go and buy parts to for ur PC to run the newer better games, thus giving u an all together better experience

On the other hand on a console game they HAVE to limit the game to what the console can handle and nothing more, for u can NOT upgrade vital components in a console, living u with very poor experience.

tym
1st Nov 2008, 05:10
Well, a potential workaround for laptop users (I have a ThinkPad with P-M 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, ATI FireGL 128 MB that isn't new enough) would be to use a dock that has a PCI slot. Then you could add a PCI graphics card.

I might be able to swing this for around $100 for my laptop, but am not sure if it's really worth it.

USFORCES
1st Nov 2008, 06:27
Well, a potential workaround for laptop users (I have a ThinkPad with P-M 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, ATI FireGL 128 MB that isn't new enough) would be to use a dock that has a PCI slot. Then you could add a PCI graphics card.

I might be able to swing this for around $100 for my laptop, but am not sure if it's really worth it.

Laptops aren't made for gaming. ****

rg_001100
1st Nov 2008, 06:30

And so it's a major offence if anyone wants to play a game on one? :scratch:

Unless, of course, CD has partnered with graphics card manufacturers and is trying to get everyone to upgrade...

...I guess CD wants to push console games.

:lol: Amazing conspiracy theory...

pleomax
1st Nov 2008, 10:52
you want to be looking at at least an 8800 series vid card, 2 gigs of ram and at least a dual core cpu running at 2.4.

If u can't manage that then get an xbox, sorry but thats the way it is.

Crystal dynamics are not going to make a crappy game just so u can play it on ur antique system, when theirs tombraider fans with gtx280's in sli that want the best game possible.

Veppie
1st Nov 2008, 11:35

Yes they are...some. Mine was 4 years ago. I could play every new game on every reslotion. Recent games like spore are still playable on it. TRU is not anymore so I bought a Desk Top this time. But I'm sure there are many laptops on which you can game just fine. They are more expensive than a desktop, thats true, but they are made for gaming!

To the OP: poor you. Guess you have to wait till the game is released for PS3. Or maybe one of your friends has a good PC that is able to run the game.

GoranAgar
1st Nov 2008, 12:31
And so it's a major offence if anyone wants to play a game on one? :scratch:
It is only a geek offense if someone wants to play a game on a laptop that is not equipped to play modern games.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p laptop that plays the game just fine. But it is a very powerful and expensive laptop. So much for stating laptops are not for gaming. :rasp:

But if you have a not that expensive laptop with a poor excuse for a graphic card (usually Intel graphic chips) then there is no blaming Eidos, but whoever suggested that laptop.

Spong
1st Nov 2008, 12:44
I think owners with older PCs have a right to complain about Underworld not running on their PCs when the game's coming out on "lower down" machines like the PS2 & Wii.

GoranAgar
1st Nov 2008, 12:51
I think owners with older PCs have a right to complain about Underworld not running on their PCs when the game's coming out on "lower down" machines like the PS2 & Wii.
You only say that because you might not know what that means.

Creating a PC game that runs on current PCs already means several 10.000 possible hardware combinations. That is already a challenge. If you make the game so it can run on the last 7 generations of graphic chips, sound cards, mother boards, AGP controllers, mother board chipsets and what not you get several million hardware combinations you need to cover. That is impossible.

Gitb97
1st Nov 2008, 12:54
Hmm.. this problem has hit too many of you for me to let you all down by saying the game wont work unless you upgrade your pc .. If u have a 360 and it says that you need to get a GOLD membership they cost round about £30.00 in britain and $50.00 in the U.S. but im not going to make you get it its up to you..
PC.. you need to upgrade it it costs alot of money but you WILL need to upgrade it to play on tombraider underworld. If you already downloaded it and then your upgrade runs out its OKAY because if you have played on it then that problem will be fine because you had the exprience.

360...again.. Upgrades dont run out that easily you have to have a gold membership or Platinum if you dont have that then maybe you can download it by creating a NEW account on your xbox it gives you FREE GOLD MEMBERSHIP for the first 10 weeks then you have to buy it ;)

i hope this helped and it took me about 5 mins to type all of this because im long sited :) (i dont have glasses yet :( )

Spoiler:
Im Very Pleased to see you again lara... how come shes in the tank lmao

Spong
1st Nov 2008, 12:54
You only say that because you might not know what that means.

Creating a PC game that runs on current PCs already means several 10.000 possible hardware combinations. That is already a challenge. If you make the game so it can run on the last 7 generations of graphic chips, sound cards, mother boards, AGP controllers, mother board chipsets and what not you get several million hardware combinations you need to cover. That is impossible.

Which is one of the reasons why I've never liked gaming on PCs, there's too many variables that the companies simply can't take on board. People are inevitably going to get their noses rubbed in it (unfairly so). Games should be for consoles and consoles alone. It'd certainly put a stop this kind of upset.

GoranAgar
1st Nov 2008, 13:04
It'd certainly put a stop this kind of upset.
That is just a silly thing to say.

Let me say something silly then too:
Consoles are for casual gamers. PCs are for enthusiasts. :p

It is a hobby and when you have a hobby you are willing to spend money for it. If you are not willing to spend money for your computer, yes, then you should get a console. But do not drive an old Volkswagen and complain that it is not as fast as a new one. Yes, it brings you from A to B, but the how is a different question.

tym
1st Nov 2008, 13:05
Hmm.. this problem has hit too many of you for me to let you all down by saying the game wont work unless you upgrade your pc ..

That's what gets me. I don't recall this issue coming up much here when the last two Tomb Raider games came out. As I've said before, it seems that Crystal Dynamics missed the mark badly with the PC requirements this time.

I'm not a console gamer, so if games move to a console-only format, I simply stop playing. A lot of other casual gamers would do the same, I suspect.

tym
1st Nov 2008, 13:14
It is only a geek offense if someone wants to play a game on a laptop that is not equipped to play modern games.

I thought my T42's FireGL 128 MB was still "modern"!

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p laptop that plays the game just fine. But it is a very powerful and expensive laptop. So much for stating laptops are not for gaming. :rasp:

Nice machine. I suspect my next laptop (probably 8 months off) will be a W500, the successor to the T6x line. I could probably pickup a loaded one for $1600.

Chaostheory6682
1st Nov 2008, 18:48
Is there any way to get past this without paying money for an upgrade?

Just upgrade the computer!! it's really not that expensive and if you really wanted to all you would have to do is get a little extra work for a week or a month(whatever) and wham there is the extra money you'll need. you can get a decent dual core processor that can handle everything out there for around 60$ or 70$US, 70$ to 100$US for a graphics card. 30$for some memory and if ya have to 50$ for a new motherboard!! You could have yourself a computer that handles everything on the market for right around 250$ and thats if you can't just throw another graphics card or other component(S) in one of the computers you already have. not bad and really not to expensive. Expensive is my computer :)

Atlantis3735
2nd Nov 2008, 17:55
I agree with Spong and Goran.

I think people who complain about their hardware not being good enough should simply get a console and be done with the problems. It just seems the easiest way for me.

On the otherhand, if I had the money I would really like to have a MEGA-Computer with the latest hardware and maybe one day I will. College EMA doesn't provide that sort of money though, so for now I will happily stick with my Lovebox360.:D

rg_001100
2nd Nov 2008, 18:02
Let me say something silly then too:
Consoles are for casual gamers. PCs are for enthusiasts. :p

If only people fell into these groups appropriately.
It's not that PC gamers are more enthusiastic about games; it's that they're more enthusiastic about the machine and the graphics, enough so to be able to put up with the hinderances presented by PC gaming, that casual players aren't used to.

Atlantis3735
2nd Nov 2008, 18:12
If only people fell into these groups appropriately.
It's not that PC gamers are more enthusiastic about games; it's that they're more enthusiastic about the machine and the graphics, enough so to be able to put up with the hinderances presented by PC gaming, that casual players aren't used to.

I agree with that too.

bingojubes
2nd Nov 2008, 18:24
PCs will reign supreme, because enthusiasts will be right up there at every change. what happens when you spend $300+ on a console that is going to be obsolete in a few years? you have to buy a whole NEW console + games. with PCs, you can still play all of your games, most likely even better than when u first bought your computer. i had the first neverwinter nights game, and my first PC build couldn't run it. 2 years later with a few upgrades, i can run that beast of a game without hesitation.

wait for Black Friday (almost that time again!) and go get yourselves a new video card...your computer deserves it, and will thank you later by running Underworld. if you depend so much on your PC, might as well give it some new parts. you won't be disappointed.

bingojubes
2nd Nov 2008, 18:39
That's what gets me. I don't recall this issue coming up much here when the last two Tomb Raider games came out. As I've said before, it seems that Crystal Dynamics missed the mark badly with the PC requirements this time.

I'm not a console gamer, so if games move to a console-only format, I simply stop playing. A lot of other casual gamers would do the same, I suspect.

i think at the time, however, both Legend and Anniversary were released when the hardware for PC and consoles "matched", so there wasn't any hardships & problems. now that Eidos and Crystal Dynamics have decided to simply PUSH the envelope a bit to test the water with some new stuff, yes, the hardware demand got a bit steeper. if you want to be able to play Underworld and other PC titles in the future, you have to prep for it.

at the moment, the motto for "enthusiasts" (if not, advice to other players) should be:

"He/She who can run Crysis....can run any game out there."

Silverbird0000
2nd Nov 2008, 19:54
What do you people want? For the games to never move forward, to stay looking like last years games, or the years before. You can't expect the gaming company's to stay in the past because you don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money on a new PC. Either don't play the game, or get a new or upgraded PC. By the way, i'm playing on a Macbook Pro (Early 2008) and the game runs perfectly in Windows Vista under Bootcamp. I don't mean to sound rude, i'm just so sick of people complaining about the games requirements. Games are going to move forward, and you have to as well to continue playing them. If they made TRU playable on older PCs it would not look nearly as good as it does, i'm glad it has the requirments it does.

ray50
3rd Nov 2008, 16:17
I guess i also agree with Silverbird0000 eventhough my video card (X700) is only Shader 2.0 and I can't play the DEMO. I do want games to move ahead and if the means $60USD for a video card (HD 3650) that is not so bad. Remember we are at Shader 4.1, I am happy I got 4+ years out of the X700. (BTW my new HD 3650 should be here today!!)

GeorgeMaciver
3rd Nov 2008, 16:29
Goran, your words should be etched in stone mate, etched in stone. I didn't complain because I knew the game wouldn't run on my old PC, I saved up and bought a new PC! I'm ready!

:thumbsup:

USFORCES
19th Nov 2008, 00:29
Yes they are...some. Mine was 4 years ago. I could play every new game on every reslotion. Recent games like spore are still playable on it. TRU is not anymore so I bought a Desk Top this time. But I'm sure there are many laptops on which you can game just fine. They are more expensive than a desktop, thats true, but they are made for gaming!

To the OP: poor you. Guess you have to wait till the game is released for PS3. Or maybe one of your friends has a good PC that is able to run the game.

Sure you can play some games, but try playing crysis on low settings and watch it smoke.
Even the highest end laptop couldn't play crysis all at veryhigh without catching fire after 1 minute, my watercooled desktop warms up to crysis.
I use to play BF2 on my high end lappy and talk about blowing some heat, I know it wasn't good for it and don't game on it now.

The new Tomb raider will heat up a lappy fast, I wouldn't do it unless you want to shorten it's life.

pleomax
19th Nov 2008, 16:51
You can get some killer laptops, these are the specs of 'rocks' best gaming lappy....

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q9550 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz

Supports up to 8GB DDR2 RAM (up to 800MHz) and
1.5 Terabyte Hard Disk

2x NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX 1GB SLi graphics

But it's serious money, more than a desktop.

ray50
20th Nov 2008, 05:02
OK i had to upgrade my desktop for TR Underworld. Cost me $69USD for a HD3650. Last video upgrade was 4 years for ~100USD. Seems upgrades are getting cheaper. Didn't try it on my 3 year old laptop but it should work, the demo did. (Acer Aspire 5672WLMI not really a gaming laptop)

jules
22nd Nov 2008, 00:01
I can run Crysis with full graphics on but this game just grashes on me, my spec is very high indeed with a Nvedia GTX 260 i'm still having problems:(

trlestew
22nd Nov 2008, 00:12
Goran, your words should be etched in stone mate, etched in stone. I didn't complain because I knew the game wouldn't run on my old PC, I saved up and bought a new PC! I'm ready!

:thumbsup:

im seriously not going to buy a new pc for 1 game. thats just downright crazy. all i need is a video card upgrade *read my recent thread*
and on a side note, you wouldnt be abandoning the level editing world now would you? (please say no your levels are great:( )

Dragonranger
23rd Nov 2008, 23:19
Some laptops are built very much for gaming! Any SLi laptop for example, stupid thing to say really. GoranAgar is definetly right about the PC vs Console thing. We are willing to pay to get more out of things because it's our passion. You pay less you get less and that's fine if that's all you want. But this forum isn't for a PC vs Console discussion its for TRU. As for myself I find it dissapointing when developers release things before they are ready. Most of them seem to manage fine with regards to making it work across everyones hardware configuration. Eidos failed in that respect. It's be nice to see some useful input as well instead of people blindly saying you need a top of the range PC to play new games. You really don't, only to get the max settings really and sometimes not even then. Unless your running a seriously cheap or old system or one with integrated graphics (definetly not good for gaming.. or anything else much either!) you should be able to play it on the lowest settings. It's just worth it to upgrade for the full experience. Also consoles have there fair share of downsides then are never perfect and TRU has plenty of console bugs as well.

US FORCES - I beg to differ my laptop runs crysis on top settings without too much of a problem and it's 2 years old now it wasn't that much and the newer (cheaper ones) would run it fine also. TRU however runs about as fast as a cat with no legs! But thats not the hardware its the game so hopefully it'll get sorted!