PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Romeo
31st Oct 2008, 07:59
I know it's a long ways off until it warrants worrying about, but I would like to bring up one of the areas video games have definately matured in, and can actually make a big difference in who's targetted as a demographic.

One of the hallmark moments for a videogame trailer becoming more than a epileptic twitch of various screens and videos, and instead a thoughtful video, was the orginal Gears of War trailer (the which featured Mad World by Gary Joules). The video was slow paced, and didn't reveal any actual gameplay, but it set the mood for the game, and labelled itself as being slightly mature (argue all you want, but the actual core gameplay of Gears of War doesn't lend itself well to a younger crowd). Following this, Bungie went all-out on their advertising, with the Starry Night trailers which aired on Superbowl Primetime and thereafter, the Heroic trailers, which were mostly internet-based. Now I see Halo Wars, which has some phenomenal CGI trailers, and I can't help but wonder what Eidos intends to do when the release nears. Should they throw together some gameplay and leave it at that? CGI the hell out of it and use that? Use "Enhanced gameplay" (Gears of Wars' Mad World Trailer and Halo's Teaser Trailer used this. Runs on the game engine, but beyond what any computer could run while still running the core gameplay, so as to make it look better) as a sort of comprimise? Do you think it even matters these days?

Voice your opinion in the poll and via comments. And please, save your breathe if you want to slam any of the games I mentioned. Keep things dedicated purely to advertising.

spm1138
31st Oct 2008, 12:34
Hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk_3NuiX2M

:D

If your advertising is too po faced it can just look vaguely silly and unintentionally funny.
GoW was a B movie. With Steven Seagal. It went straight to DVD and his wrinkly oldman face is airbrushed baby smooth on the cover. He is standing in front of some explosions, grimmacing. It's called DEATH FORCE 4.
Hence I'm not sure about the ads.

They definitely want to do more than just show the gameplay though.

The storyline is a real feature with the game. If they could somehow play up that angle. Doesn't even have to be serious because conspiracy nuts are funny.

They should show the gameplay too and/or try and emphasise the player choice thing because again that's an important feature. Preferably without 40-a-day voiceover man saying "CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE".

I dunno if the whole thing needs to show in engine but it's very suspect when you only show off CGI.

Yargo
31st Oct 2008, 15:54
The teaser needs to do exactly that, tease the game. One aspect of that is showing gameplay. It is important to convince skeptics that it is a good game. On the flip side showing some guy running through a building shooting what not, is not really exciting to watch. The goal is to make the game memorable before it is even out so you can remember to get it when it comes out.

In other words give the raccoon something shiny to grasp :D . I always enjoy the really nice looking trailers. voted for the CG ;)

Overtime
31st Oct 2008, 16:09
I find the New York, World in Conflict trailer one of the best ive ever seen.

It sets the mod of the game so well. I just love it. If they could do something like this I would be more than happy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsbfCCap3w

I think the DX3 trailer was really well made. I don't want to see any gameplay footage yet, since it's probably not how the game will look like given the stage of development they're at.

I'd like to see more of what the engine can do tho, or a CGI trailer, I don't mind.

ThatDeadDude
31st Oct 2008, 18:00
Hmm... I'm not sure... but I think with current engines it's not worth bothering with CGI. Carefully cut bits of in-engine video would work best, I think.

Btw... I don't get it... somewhat off topic but how come you can't see who voted for what in this poll, but you could for the competition? I thought it couldn't be turned off...

VodunLoas
31st Oct 2008, 18:14
Btw... I don't get it... somewhat off topic but how come you can't see who voted for what in this poll, but you could for the competition? I thought it couldn't be turned off...

Yeah... what's up with that? :scratch:

SageSavage
31st Oct 2008, 18:45
First I want to see a series of trailers that show off the core gameplay elements like stealth, shooting, social, hacking etc.. - look at Mercenaries 2 or Bioshock for good examples. Bioshock did it very well. Unfortunately both teams promised too much, which should be avoided at all costs! After that I want one amazingly well done final cgi-release-trailer that concentrates on story and atmosphere.

Yerky
31st Oct 2008, 19:29
Blizzard has pretty much always done sweet CGI movies for their games. I think they help sell games. I really want this game to not only be awesome but to do well too. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was an awesome game but didn't do well and the company that made it, Troika, went out of business. They weren't able to patch all the bugs or make more cool games. The better Deus Ex sells the more Eidos will be able to do with it after release and the more money they will be able to spend on their next game. I think they should have a CGI trailer that really makes people want to play their game.

AaronJ
31st Oct 2008, 20:02
Either way it's cut, I suggest more video footage. Some fans go nuts for that stuff. ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Oct 2008, 20:50
I voted for no 3 option. :)

Mr. Perfect
1st Nov 2008, 16:06
One of the hallmark moments for a videogame trailer becoming more than a epileptic twitch of various screens and videos, and instead a thoughtful video, was the orginal Gears of War trailer (the which featured Mad World by Gary Joules). The video was slow paced, and didn't reveal any actual gameplay, but it set the mood for the game, and labelled itself as being slightly mature (argue all you want, but the actual core gameplay of Gears of War doesn't lend itself well to a younger crowd).

Which advertisement was that? Is that the one with the lone soldier picking his way through a ruined city, and that "Burnt out places, burnt out faces" song playing? That was really well done. I always wondered what happened to that guy, but considering the size of the spider, it probably wasn't good.

[edit]OK, that Mad World song is the one I was thinking of. You mean this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8)? What option in the poll would that be considered?

Larington
1st Nov 2008, 17:49
I'm definately in favour of DX3 being advertised...

At the same time, I was somewhat aggrieved to realise today that 30 minutes after the scheduled start of Quantum of Solace in the cinema today, the piracy notice had only just come up.

THIRTY MINUTES of adverts and trailers (Mostly adverts, some for games, at roughly a 4 to 1 ratio).

I wasn't amused.

gh0s7
1st Nov 2008, 20:38
Second Option:

A CGI movie giving hints and teasers about the storyline and its characters, in order to spike curiosity.

Just don't overdo it like some publishers do...

Romeo
6th Nov 2008, 07:15
Hmm... I'm not sure... but I think with current engines it's not worth bothering with CGI. Carefully cut bits of in-engine video would work best, I think.

Because DXeXodus accidentally made the competition one public. I did not. MUA HA HA HA HA.

Romeo
6th Nov 2008, 07:18
Second Option:

A CGI movie giving hints and teasers about the storyline and its characters, in order to spike curiosity.

Just don't overdo it like some publishers do...
Didn't mean to double post, but you mean somewhat like Mass Effect did? It wasn't truly "CGI" (it was a souped-up version of their game, but looked like CGI). An truly "CGI" example would be the Halo Wars trailers, the last two are about plot and gameplay, yet are completely CGIed. And Ensemble Studios definately, definately overdoes it, yet they pull it off so wonderfully.

DXeXodus
6th Nov 2008, 07:36
Because DXeXodus accidentally made the competition one public. I did not. MUA HA HA HA HA.

Well I did my best while you were away frollicking with the Hawaii locals sipping Pina-Colada's and listening to Jack Johnson as the sun set over another sand-swept day.

All I had was this bunch of fools :D

No offense meant.. I actually love this community.

Jerion
6th Nov 2008, 07:38

We love you too, DXe.

*loads shotgun* In the killing you shortly kind of way. :p

jordan_a
6th Nov 2008, 09:17
DX3 needs very strong advertisement. But for now I'd prefer the subtle way: artworks and cgi but no gameplay.

ikenstein
9th Nov 2008, 15:10
forget advertising. spend the money on the game.

imported_van_HellSing
9th Nov 2008, 15:21
That's an overly idealistic and utopian approach. Remember, Eidos is a company. Their main goal is making money, and there's nothing wrong with that. Good marketing = more sales. You can't get far just by word of mouth these days. With good marketing, a mediocre game can sell much better than an excelent game that had poor marketing. And when do a good game with good marketing... you simply win.

Mr. Perfect
9th Nov 2008, 17:18
Amen. I know more then one great game that went nowhere because it didn't get any advertising. If you get upset every time an over hyped game flops, wait until you find an awesome one that gets swept under a rug. :mad2:

Romeo
12th Nov 2008, 08:25
Which advertisement was that? Is that the one with the lone soldier picking his way through a ruined city, and that "Burnt out places, burnt out faces" song playing? That was really well done. I always wondered what happened to that guy, but considering the size of the spider, it probably wasn't good.

[edit]OK, that Mad World song is the one I was thinking of. You mean this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8)? What option in the poll would that be considered?
He's good and well, he's actually the protagonist for the series. The spider things are called Corpsers (original, I know...) and they are a pain to fight. =)

Well I did my best while you were away frollicking with the Hawaii locals sipping Pina-Colada's and listening to Jack Johnson as the sun set over another sand-swept day.

All I had was this bunch of fools :D

I wasn't sipping Pina Coladas. I was chugging them.

Amen. I know more then one great game that went nowhere because it didn't get any advertising. If you get upset every time an over hyped game flops, wait until you find an awesome one that gets swept under a rug. :mad2:
A moment of silence for Psychonauts... Odd as it sounds, I think that the gaming industry is borderline "too big" to sustain itself. With so many a-list games coming out, there's no room for the newcomer with a great idea to break in. That's a very serious threat for Deus Ex, as it runs the risk of being stuck in the shadow of the next Call of Duties/Halos/Resistences/Bioshocks/What-have-yous. That's where I think a little advertising well beforehand can actually help matters along. It's what Ensemble Studios did with Halo Wars, and now that a release date has finally rolled around, they're holding on to one of the most anticipated RTS. On the flip side, advertising to early, and then leaving a complete lack of progress can obviously be counter-productive, as you irritate and alienate those who joined up early and then were shunned with regards to information. Post your thoughts/opinions/insults.

Tracer Tong
12th Nov 2008, 19:38
Hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk_3NuiX2M

:D

If your advertising is too po faced it can just look vaguely silly and unintentionally funny.
GoW was a B movie. With Steven Seagal. It went straight to DVD and his wrinkly oldman face is airbrushed baby smooth on the cover. He is standing in front of some explosions, grimmacing. It's called DEATH FORCE 4.
Hence I'm not sure about the ads.

They definitely want to do more than just show the gameplay though.

The storyline is a real feature with the game. If they could somehow play up that angle. Doesn't even have to be serious because conspiracy nuts are funny.

They should show the gameplay too and/or try and emphasise the player choice thing because again that's an important feature. Preferably without 40-a-day voiceover man saying "CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE".

I dunno if the whole thing needs to show in engine but it's very suspect when you only show off CGI.

GREAT!

I also liked the Team Fortress 2 advertisements. Well done work and it was even the game's own graphics!

spm1138
12th Nov 2008, 20:48
The TF2 adverts were awesome. The better ones were viral. People'd link them to each other because they were funny to watch.

The "Demoman" one still has me in stitches.

To be fair that's a really different kind of game to many others (it's meant to be funny) but excellent example.

gh0s7
12th Nov 2008, 22:29
Didn't mean to double post, but you mean somewhat like Mass Effect did? It wasn't truly "CGI" (it was a souped-up version of their game, but looked like CGI). An truly "CGI" example would be the Halo Wars trailers, the last two are about plot and gameplay, yet are completely CGIed. And Ensemble Studios definately, definately overdoes it, yet they pull it off so wonderfully.

Something like Halo Wars, but with just a movie or two. :) No need to invade nearly every online magazine with "exclusive" screenshots and interviews...

For Deus Ex 3, I think that getting Gamespy, IGN, GameTraillers, and Gamespot, featuring exclusives and feeding propaganda to the masses would be enough.
Save the ads' budget for other (more popular) games, like TR... :whistle:

Romeo
16th Nov 2008, 07:21
Something like Halo Wars, but with just a movie or two. :) No need to invade nearly every online magazine with "exclusive" screenshots and interviews...

For Deus Ex 3, I think that getting Gamespy, IGN, GameTraillers, and Gamespot, featuring exclusives and feeding propaganda to the masses would be enough.
Save the ads' budget for other (more popular) games, like TR... :whistle:
Yeah, I don't Ensemble has been whoring themselves out for exclusives, I think magazines want to get exclusives because of the anticipation for that game. We should start tipping off IGN to Deus Ex 3. I wonder how one would go about contacting them?

Jerion
16th Nov 2008, 07:33
Yeah, I don't Ensemble has been whoring themselves out for exclusives, I think magazines want to get exclusives because of the anticipation for that game. We should start tipping off IGN to Deus Ex 3. I wonder how one would go about contacting them?

I'll call Rooster Teeth. I'm sure they know people.

Mr. Perfect
16th Nov 2008, 18:02
The Gears of War 2 ads are out, and they're using a similar method to the first ones. The first one seemed... longer maybe? That or they where trying to fit to much in the second one.

Either way, they're well done.

Romeo
19th Nov 2008, 01:31
I'll call Rooster Teeth. I'm sure they know people.
You know the makers of Red vs Blue? OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!! Last season was so well done.

The Gears of War 2 ads are out, and they're using a similar method to the first ones. The first one seemed... longer maybe? That or they where trying to fit to much in the second one.

Either way, they're well done.
Yeah, if there's one thing those games have done extremely well on, it's advertising.

AaronJ
19th Nov 2008, 02:58
Aim it at the mainstream.
Viral advertisements.
Maybe a few commercials.

It's inescapable.

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 03:43
How about:

Aim it in whatever direction they feel works best for the story.
Advertise it to the mainstream as something new and different, but still really fun.
Maybe a few commercials. Not as many commercials as Mirrors Edge; while those commercials were well done, they were played too often.

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 06:58
If I saw a DX3 commercial on tv, that would be awesome. Even if it's only something short and simple, along the lines of the GoW commercials.

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 07:42
I desperately want some footage to make a fan trailer with. Oh well.

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 08:09
You could always just h4x some stuff together from DX1 and 2, and maybe throw in a little bit of the teaser trailer, concept art etc...

Let's see how creative you are!

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 10:45
I'll see what I can do. It'll take a while to gather together enough footage, but when I have something finished, it'll be good. ;)

rokstrombo
19th Nov 2008, 14:03
I don't usually pay much attention to advertising, but tend to feel that the TV advertisements for modern big-budget games tend to be too dramatic and serious to be sandwiched between the usual mobile ring tone club and network promos that you usually get on TV. Most commercials rely on sex appeal in some way, and overly-serious computer games are not sexy to most people (I know, right!?).

I think some of the more recent advertising campaigns (GTA IV, Fallout 3) have been very clever because they have just showed cinematic in-game footage set to popular music. I think it was a wise choice not to include many details about the games, because I don't think gamers make their purchasing decisions based on a few facts crammed into an out-of-place 30-second TV commercial. Also, nostalgia is a very powerful tool for manipulating TV audiences, so the older the song, the better!

I think online advertising (releasing screenshots and gameplay videos, paying off gaming magazines, and communicating with the uh... community) is still the best way to go for PC games. The fact that Deus Ex is a successful franchise should mean that hype and word of mouth will play a big role in promoting Deus Ex 3. Console games seem to get more attention on TV, so I guess slapping together some gameplay footage and playing something like Piano Man or Livin On A Prayer over the top should take care of the nostalgia market :p. If only they could be so bold!

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 17:17
Maybe not quite that over the top, but close anyway. I would totally dig that :cool:

AaronJ
20th Nov 2008, 05:26
Advertise it to the mainstream as something new and different, but still really fun.

I vote paint it on the moon.

Jerion
20th Nov 2008, 05:29
If you can get the funding, I'm all for it. :D

Igoe
20th Nov 2008, 05:50
Totally go viral. They've got it GREAT so far. 10 pnts to EM for the masterpiece that was the teaser video. It was EVERYTHING I'd hoped for in a DX trailer. Mysterious dark, cryptic, with hidden messages.

I think this is the way to go from now on. You need to have ONE more MAJOR media burst with info and character stuff, but after that no more media frenzy, or just enough to get some cash monies.

Every so often SECRETLY (no media attached) put out a teaser video with hidden secrets to unlock.

You'll get the DX clans clamoring to unlock all the secrets and ALL the sites will go CRAZY trying to be the FIRST to crack the code and get the new DX3 screenshots.

Think TDK, but on a slightly smaller scale. People get involved, they get anxious, it gets their minds working. EXACTLY what DX3 should be about.

The first trailer was an absolute masterpiece and a tribute to all things DX and I FULLY believe this is how the media coverage needs to be.

GmanPro
20th Nov 2008, 05:51
:thumbsup:

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/full_moon_largec.jpg?t=1227160266

Jerion
20th Nov 2008, 10:15
^^:thumbsup:

That's a biiig logo! :p

Romeo
21st Nov 2008, 05:59
Totally go viral. They've got it GREAT so far. 10 pnts to EM for the masterpiece that was the teaser video. It was EVERYTHING I'd hoped for in a DX trailer. Mysterious dark, cryptic, with hidden messages.

I think this is the way to go from now on. You need to have ONE more MAJOR media burst with info and character stuff, but after that no more media frenzy, or just enough to get some cash monies.

Every so often SECRETLY (no media attached) put out a teaser video with hidden secrets to unlock.

You'll get the DX clans clamoring to unlock all the secrets and ALL the sites will go CRAZY trying to be the FIRST to crack the code and get the new DX3 screenshots.

Think TDK, but on a slightly smaller scale. People get involved, they get anxious, it gets their minds working. EXACTLY what DX3 should be about.

The first trailer was an absolute masterpiece and a tribute to all things DX and I FULLY believe this is how the media coverage needs to be.
Much like www.ilovebees.com was to Halo 3?

:thumbsup:

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/full_moon_largec.jpg?t=1227160266
Kinda reminds me of the Bat-Light. lol

Jerion
21st Nov 2008, 06:47
Kinda reminds me of the Bat-Light. lol

Something a bit more like this?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/starry-sky.jpg

Romeo
22nd Nov 2008, 05:15
Should be an "h+", in this one's humble opinion. :cool:

Igoe
22nd Nov 2008, 08:36
Oh man, seconded.

I would LOVE it if [h+] became synonymous with DX3.

I just dig the "greater than human" deal.

Jerion
22nd Nov 2008, 17:19
I'm working on a remix of the teaser. It will be ready very soon.

Romeo
23rd Nov 2008, 08:14
Well, I mean it seems to be. It's the dawn of human modification, or h+, and I think that will drive much of the conflict this time around.

jordan_a
23rd Nov 2008, 15:52
h+ has to be exploited, it has to become the "brand" of the game.

Romeo
24th Nov 2008, 04:50
Again, it already seems to be, to a small degree in Deus Ex. The only reason you were so powerful was because of your mods. And DX3 is supposed to be near the introduction of human modification, which would imply that it's going to be one of the central themes of the game.

Igoe
24th Nov 2008, 08:15
I just mean I would love it if people would use [h+] instead of "DX3." Like instead of the DX symbol we get [h+] floating around and people instantly know what you're talking about. h+ was an obscure symbol no one used before now, and I'd LOVE to see it rise in ranks along side the lambda in Half-Life and "number" for Halo. So DX could have its own movement alongside its media.

GmanPro
24th Nov 2008, 08:21
Maybe EM should put a big ol' [h+] on the cover of the box. Although I'd miss the old school DX symbols.

I'm going to get soo excited when I hold the box in my hands for the first time lol.

Jerion
24th Nov 2008, 08:37
I don't know...I would bask in the awesomeness of walking by and seeing the classic DX logo displayed in golden glory on a banner. :D

Igoe
24th Nov 2008, 08:47
Perhaps they will work in both? They need the classic DX logo, but I'd love to see the [h+] taking center stage on the back of the box as it describes to you how you can become "greater than human"

I don't want another cliche pandering box that says OLOL U CAN SHOOT GUNS AND JUMP 8 STORIES! I want a box that tells me this is my chance to become something more.

To be greater than human.

Jerion
24th Nov 2008, 13:13
Maybe. Like, put the Golden DX logo front and center, and place the [H+] on the back, in a corner, but easily visible.

Yargo
24th Nov 2008, 15:46
Maybe. Like, put the Golden DX logo front and center, and place the [H+] on the back, in a corner, but easily visible.

How bad would that be to have the cover be the big Golden DX logo on a black backdrop w/ the stylized DX3 under that and thats it. No other marks on the front. :D

Jerion
24th Nov 2008, 16:42
How bad would that be to have the cover be the big Golden DX logo on a black backdrop w/ the stylized DX3 under that and thats it. No other marks on the front. :D

:thumbsup: That's a striking mental image.

jordan_a
24th Nov 2008, 16:47
A box shaped like the DX logo and the disc in the middle. How great and expensive that would be!

GmanPro
24th Nov 2008, 17:56
^^
That's a really striking image. :D

spm1138
24th Nov 2008, 21:00
One thing you under no circumstances should do is hire a PR firm to "manage" your review scores for Deus Ex 3.

Just saying.

:rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/technologynews/3513861/Tomb-Raider-Underworld-reviews-embroiled-in-furore.html

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56037

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/11/21/eidos-pr-managing-review-scores-of-new-tomb-raider

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 05:09
I don't want another cliche pandering box that says OLOL U CAN SHOOT GUNS AND JUMP 8 STORIES!

:lol:

that's so true tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1SqSupBfKw

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 20:31
They won't need to, cause they are all going to be 100% :thumbsup:

Jerion
25th Nov 2008, 20:39
^^

They are going to get a 11/10. :thumbsup:

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 21:38
I like how on the back of the Half life 2 box, some reviewer just says "best game ever"

That's when you know you've made a good game :thumbsup: