PDA

View Full Version : Asking the question - non lethal

Bluey71
30th Oct 2008, 21:21
Have not seen anything mentioned so far - Rene, any chance of a nod in the yes or no direction as to non lethal takedowns?

Absentia
30th Oct 2008, 21:56
Stick with the prod.

And yeah, I'd like to know this too.

Overtime
30th Oct 2008, 22:04
I would be very surprised if you couldnt beat the game in a non-lethal manner. Im sure they've already looked at this. Further, I think (and hope) that the game world will react heavily to this style of play.

When I played DX in a non lethal run, it was my favourite run by far.

imported_van_HellSing
30th Oct 2008, 22:39
Stick with the prod.
Prod with the stick.

Mr. Perfect
30th Oct 2008, 23:35
There's no way there won't be a non-lethal option. Even IW held onto the baton, electric prod, and tranq darts.

What will really be interesting is if it will have an effect in game. In the new games coming out, like Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3, NPCs notice how you handle situations, and react accordingly. Deus Ex kinda had something like that, as seen with how Sam Carter reacted to Battery Park.

DXeXodus
31st Oct 2008, 03:44
I'll answer this on Rene's behalf....

It's a definite possibility

:D

Ihsan
31st Oct 2008, 07:14
I think it would be really something if you could disable enemies with guns, say shooting them in the legs or something- but they would live. So it would take even more skill to keep your oponent alive, then say slamming them with the prod.

If you did this, it could be interesting to see what kinds of reactions npcs (enemies and friendlies) would have towards you.

imported_van_HellSing
31st Oct 2008, 07:29
Actually, something like that was already done in the first game. The characters pretty much shared the locational damage model the of the player, so for example shooting them in the hands could result taking out their weapons. If you shot someone enough, they would stop fighting and start running, which is one of the tactics to avoid killing Anna etc.

gamer0004
31st Oct 2008, 13:33
I would be very surprised if you couldnt beat the game in a non-lethal manner. Im sure they've already looked at this. Further, I think (and hope) that the game world will react heavily to this style of play.

When I played DX in a non lethal run, it was my favourite run by far.

The question is not "will they implement it" because they will, but how they will implement it. It was possible in IW, but the prod didn't work.
But then again, there was an RPG system implemented in IW as well (exactly like the DX3 "RPG" system) but did we think it was?
And there was a sneak system. It was impossible to sneak without biomods, but hey, it was a sneak system.
In DX3 we have a sneak system. It's just not possible to use the shadows in your advantage, which makes this a sneak system as present in every FPS (i.e. not really a sneak system), but hey, it's going to be a "sneak" system anyway (according to the devs that is).

Yes, the devs will implement all those features that the fans want, but only as present in their vision; which doesn't have to mean anything.
EM: Yes it is definately possible to choose for the non-lethal approach in DX3.

Two months later, the game is released:

Reviewer: I was wondering... Two months ago you said there would be a non-lethal option in DX3 but all I could use were some very cool looking weapons [which are totally unrealistic] which were all very lethal.
EM: Well, you can choose not to use any weapon which would make it a non-lethal runthrough.
Reviewer: ...

Jerion
1st Nov 2008, 12:26
The question is not "will they implement it" because they will, but how they will implement it. It was possible in IW, but the prod didn't work.
But then again, there was an RPG system implemented in IW as well (exactly like the DX3 "RPG" system) but did we think it was?
And there was a sneak system. It was impossible to sneak without biomods, but hey, it was a sneak system.
In DX3 we have a sneak system. It's just not possible to use the shadows in your advantage, which makes this a sneak system as present in every FPS (i.e. not really a sneak system), but hey, it's going to be a "sneak" system anyway (according to the devs that is).

Yes, the devs will implement all those features that the fans want, but only as present in their vision; which doesn't have to mean anything.
EM: Yes it is definately possible to choose for the non-lethal approach in DX3.

Two months later, the game is released:

Reviewer: I was wondering... Two months ago you said there would be a non-lethal option in DX3 but all I could use were some very cool looking weapons [which are totally unrealistic] which were all very lethal.
EM: Well, you can choose not to use any weapon which would make it a non-lethal runthrough.
Reviewer: ...

EM: Well, we were afraid of that reaction.
*EM rep pushes red button*
Reviewer: What was that?
*Trap-door opens under Reviewer*
Reviewer: YEAAAAARRGH!
EM: What a shame. NEXT!

Just kidding. I have plenty of faith that EM will be spending money on perfecting DX 3, not hidden trap doors and secret pits of death.

Mr. Perfect
1st Nov 2008, 15:44

Handled like a pro! I'm voting Rene/DXeXodus in '08. ;)

kalit
2nd Nov 2008, 03:30
I'm hoping to be able to not kill anyone (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, I think Deus Ex had 1) throughout the whole game, although I doubt it. One thing that annoys me about a lot of games is you can't just sneak throughout the whole game, a lot of times you have to fight.

Absentia
2nd Nov 2008, 13:34

Anyone else a bit worried that it's only a 'possibility'? Unless that post was just deliberately being very ambiguous so as not to really give it away but to get as close as possible so that we all know it anyway. Then that's fine =D

Mindmute
2nd Nov 2008, 14:54
Unless that post was just deliberately being very ambiguous so as not to really give it away but to get as close as possible so that we all know it anyway.

It's a definite possibility that it was that :rolleyes:

Jerion
2nd Nov 2008, 16:54
Anyone else a bit worried that it's only a 'possibility'? Unless that post was just deliberately being very ambiguous so as not to really give it away but to get as close as possible so that we all know it anyway. Then that's fine =D

It's the ambiguous idea. ;)

It's a definite possibility that it was that :rolleyes:

Definitely.

spm1138
3rd Nov 2008, 00:56
I'd be really, really surprised if they didn't have non-lethal take-downs especially with with the proposed 3pv elements.

If they're going to enable you to crush heads there's no reason they can't also enable you to clobber people from behind, get people in sleeper holds etc. etc.

The whole thing just yells "expanded melee combat" at me.

GmanPro
3rd Nov 2008, 07:11
Its like giving them cigarettes or something.

lol, I loved using the electric prod. I think I used it a lot through every play-through although I always seemed to run out of juice for it and drop it in favor of just headshotting everyone with my pistol. :rolleyes:

mouse
3rd Nov 2008, 07:35
I'd be really, really surprised if they didn't have non-lethal take-downs especially with with the proposed 3pv elements.

If they're going to enable you to crush heads there's no reason they can't also enable you to clobber people from behind, get people in sleeper holds etc. etc.

The whole thing just yells "expanded melee combat" at me.

Splinter Cell anyone? I like that game play element, in fact I beat that game with knocking enemies out only (well, almost).

me.exe
3rd Nov 2008, 07:53
Stick with the prod; it'll stun your enemies, or knock them unconscious.

Bluey71
3rd Nov 2008, 16:19
Bump.

Still hoping for an answer.

-|°
3rd Nov 2008, 17:11
I always wondered why it's more pacifist to knock out a guy in DX1 rather than killing him, since in both cases he would never wake up again :D
That's maybe why NPCs consider KO ennemies as dead :scratch:
It would be nice to have them waking up in DX3, or being waken up by their comrades. That would add interest in hiding bodies (in DX1, if an ennemy found an unconscious fellow, you just had to hide while he's running around :whistle: )

AaronJ
3rd Nov 2008, 17:48

The beans.

Here they have been spilled.

Lazarus Ledd
3rd Nov 2008, 18:06
Bump.

Still hoping for an answer.

ah. Tha man wanted orange and you're giving him lemon lime :D

Jerion
3rd Nov 2008, 18:12
ah. Tha man wanted orange and you're giving him lemon lime :D

Damn maintenance, always screwing with the machines...:D

Non-Lethal?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/Queelez/Motivational%20Posters/Spoooon.jpg