PDA

View Full Version : The cake is amazing.

AaronJ
28th Oct 2008, 21:33
Eidos Montreal sent Bethesda a cake.

http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v357/151/90/616002040/n616002040_1380581_7751.jpg

Win.

René
28th Oct 2008, 21:35
:D

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2008/10/28/this-takes-the-cake/

spm1138
28th Oct 2008, 21:40
Was it delicious and moist?

imported_van_HellSing
28th Oct 2008, 21:43
Did you guys bake the cake yourselves? :D

fivecheebs
28th Oct 2008, 21:45
hmmm, I thought the cake was a lie! :whistle:

Nice cake

GmanPro
28th Oct 2008, 21:49
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake. If the way is hazy, you gotta do the cooking by the book! You know you can't be lazy! Never use a messy recipe, the cake will end up crazy! If you do the cooking by the book, then you'll have a cake! We gotta have it made, you know that I love cake. Finally it's time to bake a cake!

Making food is just like science, with tools that blend and paste. And every fun appliance gives the food a different taste!

It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake. If the way is hazy, you gotta do the cooking by the book! You know you can't be lazy! Never use a messy recipe, the cake will end up crazy! If you do the cooking by the book, then you'll have a cake! We gotta have it made, you know that I love cake. Finally it's time to bake a cake!

:lol: :lol: I couldn't help myself lolz

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Oct 2008, 21:55
Awww, that's as cute 'n' cool as it must be delicious. :cool:
Very thoughtful too - and funny because I was actually reading up a lot about Fallout 3 earlier today. :)

What I want to know (if you please) - is it plain sponge with a raspberry/strawberry jam and buttercream filling... or was it one of those heavy kind of rich fruit cakes?
Hopefully the former. :D *drool*

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 21:58
Win. :thumbsup:

SageSavage
28th Oct 2008, 21:59
Although it sure is also some sort of self-advertising, I really like this handsome gesture. It feels strangely human in the context of the multi-million dollar business that video games became. Nice!

mr_cyberpunk
28th Oct 2008, 22:10
Pfft.. I hope that doesn't mean they want to buy the IP for Deus Ex 4..

God that'd be a nightmare!

imported_van_HellSing
28th Oct 2008, 22:16
The above post makes no sense.

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 22:39
This goes to prove my point: When it comes to DX, the cake is never a lie.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Oct 2008, 23:29
I've just noticed that the baker forgot to put a cigarette in Adam's mouth, lol. :eek:

Easily done too, a trip down the sweet shop for a packet of candy cigarettes... a very realistic effect could have been achieved. :D

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/candycigs.png

LOL @ the "... Just Like Dad" slogan. :D

Wiki:
In Canada federal law prohibits candy cigarette branding that resembles real cigarette branding[2] and the territory of Nunavut has banned all products that resemble cigarettes[3].

^
That could explain it... and rightly so too. :cool: I wonder when my country will follow suit. :mad:

JakePeriphery
29th Oct 2008, 01:49
Really cool, very thoughtful!

René
29th Oct 2008, 02:08

I have no idea.

Did you guys bake the cake yourselves? :D

Nope. A random bakery near Bethesda's office did.

It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake. If the way is hazy, you gotta do the cooking by the book!

I'm really disappointed in myself that I know what that's from!

What I want to know (if you please) - is it plain sponge with a raspberry/strawberry jam and buttercream filling...

I think it was chocolate inside.

...I really like this handsome gesture. It feels strangely human in the context of the multi-million dollar business that video games became. Nice!

Bethesda does good *****. I hope the game does well, and I'll be picking up my own Collector's Edition (PC) later this week.

I've just noticed that the baker forgot to put a cigarette in Adam's mouth, lol. :eek:

Actually, they missed a couple things. Still, can't complain because they still did a pretty dang good job!

DXeXodus
29th Oct 2008, 03:41
Awesome cake!

So now we can finally see what Adam wears. It is not a trench coat. It is in fact a Pip boy suit! Exactly as I had suspected.

MaxxQ1
29th Oct 2008, 09:04
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

Oh, nooooooo....

:rasp: :lol: :eek:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Oct 2008, 11:08
"Let Them Eat Cake"

You really can't get any more French than that. :p

MaxxQ1
29th Oct 2008, 11:30
"Let Them Eat Cake"

You really can't get any more French than that. :p

I can get a little more French, and quite a bit more Canadian as well (admittedly, they're from Toronto, but still...)

Theres no bread, let them eat cake
Theres no end to what theyll take
Flaunt the fruits of noble birth
Wash the salt into the earth

But they're marching to bastille day
La guillotine will claim Her bloody prize
Free the dungeons of the innocent
The king will kneel, and let his kingdom rise

Bloodstained velvet, dirty lace
Naked fear on every face
See them bow their heads to die
As we would bow as they rode by

And we're marching to bastille day
La guillotine will claim Her bloody prize
Sing, o choirs of cacophony
The king has kneeled, to let his kingdom rise

Lessons taught but never learned
All around us anger burns
Guide the future by the past
Long ago the mould was cast

For they marched up to bastille day
La guillotine -- claimed Her bloody prize
Hear the echoes of the centuries
Power isn't all that money buys

-- Rush, Bastille Day

imported_van_HellSing
29th Oct 2008, 11:30
Did you guys bake the cake yourselves? Nope. A random bakery near Bethesda's office did.

Actually, they missed a couple things. Still, can't complain because they still did a pretty dang good job!

Bah, outsourced development :p

DXeXodus
29th Oct 2008, 11:52
So long as they didn't make the cake all one flavour to appeal to the casual eater. :rasp:

Jerion
29th Oct 2008, 16:59
So long as they didn't make the cake all one flavour to appeal to the casual eater. :rasp:

Or give the cake auto-regeneration. Think of it! an infinite supply of cake!

ZylonBane
29th Oct 2008, 17:35
The cake does not support locational damage, so you can only eat an entire layer at a time.

v.dog
29th Oct 2008, 18:11
hmmm, I thought the cake was a lie! :whistle:Look at us still talking when there's development to do. ;)

Red
29th Oct 2008, 21:13
Yep. They've set a very high bar with Fallout 3 for you to overcome...

Tracer Tong
30th Oct 2008, 09:51
what an awesome game... Can't wait for my collectors' edition pip-boy bobblehead!

MaxxQ1
30th Oct 2008, 11:39
what an awesome game... Can't wait for my collectors' edition pip-boy bobblehead!

Got mine Tuesday.

Now if I can just keep the lunchbox and bobblehead out of my kids' hands...

Ihsan
30th Oct 2008, 12:33
What a really nice gesture! Iv been playing fallout 3 a bit and its a good game, has some great ideas too (like no regen health....:P).

René
30th Oct 2008, 16:18
For those that may have wanted a higher res version of the image for avatars or whatever, here you go!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/ares7777/adam_pipboy.jpg

Yargo
30th Oct 2008, 17:19
my signature goes great with this thread:lol:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Oct 2008, 17:33
For those that may have wanted a higher res version of the image for avatars or whatever, here you go!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/ares7777/adam_pipboy.jpg

LOL, awesome! :cool:

It would make a great promo banner for the "Transhumanism" thread, hehe. :D

F3nyx
30th Oct 2008, 19:49
The DX3 team are Bethesda/FO3 fans? Well, so much for DX3.

René
30th Oct 2008, 21:09

Ah, the Internet! Got to love it!

DXeXodus
31st Oct 2008, 03:49
Lol. Now where did I put that face-palm image. :scratch:

Romeo
31st Oct 2008, 08:18
Although it sure is also some sort of self-advertising, I really like this handsome gesture. It feels strangely human in the context of the multi-million dollar business that video games became. Nice!
Yeah, I was genuinely impressed by this, and not just because I'm a fan of Deus Ex. That was a very kind thing for them to do.

Easily done too, a trip down the sweet shop for a packet of candy cigarettes... a very realistic effect could have been achieved. :D

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/candycigs.png

LOL @ the "... Just Like Dad" slogan. :D

Wiki:

^
That could explain it... and rightly so too. :cool: I wonder when my country will follow suit. :mad:
I'm from Canada, and I didn't even know that. That's terrible...

I have no idea.

Nope. A random bakery near Bethesda's office did.

I'm really disappointed in myself that I know what that's from!

I think it was chocolate inside.

Bethesda does good *****. I hope the game does well, and I'll be picking up my own Collector's Edition (PC) later this week.

I have to agree with you, The Elder Scrolls are the only only swords-and-shields RPGs I play, because once you have, everything else just feels like a failed attempt by comparison. Still, that was pretty cool for you guys to do that.

Or give the cake auto-regeneration. Think of it! an infinite supply of cake!
That. Would. Be. The God. lol

spm1138
31st Oct 2008, 12:12

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallout3

SO MUCH FOR DX3 :nut:

Bloodwolf806
31st Oct 2008, 17:42
That's awesome! It shows that Eidos Montreal has respect for the amazing work Bethesda does.

Jellybelly
31st Oct 2008, 18:20
Is everyone here drunk? The work Bethesda does is dismal. Dreadful. If DX3 is anything like FO3 - and the premises are quite similar - there is nothing good in store for this franchise.

What Bethesda consistently brings to the table:

- Unimaginative, derivative plots.
- Extremely poorly written dialogue.
- Flat, unconvincing, unmemorable characters.
- Very poor voice acting to go along with the abysmal writing and characterization.
- Dire game and story structure problems.
- Absolutely no consequence to go along with your "choices".

This list could go on ad infinitum. Now, are these things we want in Deus Ex 3? Obviously, there are some people here that think bad writing and general lack of creativity are well and fine. They should keep in mind that everything that was good about Fallout 3 was plagiarized from the original two games. The only thing Bethsoft can do to satisfaction is make semi-pretty vistas. The fact that the new development house actually respect Bethesda enough to send them a cake is worrying. I do not think you would see Obsidian doing that.

Also, why the hell does the new main character look like Stephane D'Astous?

F3nyx
31st Oct 2008, 19:18
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallout3

SO MUCH FOR DX3 :nut:

Whoa, a metacritic link! This conclusively proves that Fallout 3 isn't a watered-down heap of **** from a developer that can't even model a human face or gait, much less design a game worth playing.

AaronJ
31st Oct 2008, 20:12

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/GlobalNode/1225229005439.jpg?t=1225487330

No matter what the mods say, the content (and size) of this picture is extremely necessary in reply to this confused young boy, and I stand by it.

SageSavage
31st Oct 2008, 20:45
Welcome aboard, NMA?!

F3nyx
31st Oct 2008, 20:55
Welcome aboard, NMA?!

Haha, I'm not from NMA and I only care about the inviolability of the Fallout franchise in the general context of sequels getting handed off to dimwits (Tribes Vengeance is a notable second example, here's hoping we don't get a third). Bethesda isn't a remotely competent developer even when it's their own franchise they're abusing -- Oblivion was trash too.

spm1138
31st Oct 2008, 23:46
edit
People keep telling me I should be nicer to people.

gamer0004
1st Nov 2008, 09:13
Is everyone here drunk? The work Bethesda does is dismal. Dreadful. If DX3 is anything like FO3 - and the premises are quite similar - there is nothing good in store for this franchise.

What Bethesda consistently brings to the table:

- Unimaginative, derivative plots.
- Extremely poorly written dialogue.
- Flat, unconvincing, unmemorable characters.
- Very poor voice acting to go along with the abysmal writing and characterization.
- Dire game and story structure problems.
- Absolutely no consequence to go along with your "choices".

This list could go on ad infinitum. Now, are these things we want in Deus Ex 3? Obviously, there are some people here that think bad writing and general lack of creativity are well and fine. They should keep in mind that everything that was good about Fallout 3 was plagiarized from the original two games. The only thing Bethsoft can do to satisfaction is make semi-pretty vistas. The fact that the new development house actually respect Bethesda enough to send them a cake is worrying. I do not think you would see Obsidian doing that.

Also, why the hell does the new main character look like Stephane D'Astous?

Shivering Isles was pretty good though - Sheogorath was memorable, as were the Duke and Duchess. Martin (Oblivion) was fine too.
Overall Oblivion was pretty good - atmosphere, gameplay, music (that was particularly good), the voice acting is nit (always) that bad... It's just that (apart from the graphics) it did nothing better than Morrowind. Which is a shame, because there was room for improvement.
But hey, there's room for improvement with DX as well. But EM is too busy changing stuff which did work (perfectly).

imported_van_HellSing
1st Nov 2008, 11:06
Shivering Isles was pretty good though - Sheogorath was memorable, as were the Duke and Duchess. Martin (Oblivion) was fine too.

Don't forget Haskill! :D

SageSavage
1st Nov 2008, 12:33
I hated the auto-leveling system but apart from that I pretty much enjoyed Oblivion. The amount of freedom combined with a very good looking world intrigued me so much, that I was willing to overlook most of its shortcomings (like the generic dungeons, the lack of different voice actors or the horrible interface for example). I think parts of the script were actually excellent although certain things also felt flat. Nevertheless I had loads of fun with doing all the guild-quests and other stuff even before I did a majority of the main quests. I loved the quick travel option and the way you were pointed to the relevant places of your quests, which were serious issues I had with Morrowind. I know there are a lot of hardcore-fans disagreeing with me but as a matter of fact I never managed to finish Morrowind (because I became clueless and felt exhausted after a while), whereas I had quite a lot of fun with Oblivion and after finished Shivering Isles right after that. I think the one main issue with Morrowind and Oblivion is that they lack a bit in emotions and feel kind of sterile (maybe even a bit depressing) for a fantasy world.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Nov 2008, 15:21
No doubt, this thoughtful 'Baking of The Cake' ceremony will continue with Bethesda's baker creating their own delicious mix of sponge and icing for EM, once DX3 has been shipped! :cool:
I can't wait to see what they come up with, hehe. :D

Jellybelly
2nd Nov 2008, 15:31
Likely it will feature extremely bad writing and characterization.

ZylonBane
2nd Nov 2008, 16:59
You have to admire the double-think of the DX3 team. They admire Bethesda's creation of a modern action-RPG that features locational damage, no auto-healing, and a traditional skill upgrade system -- but still remain convinced that all the dumbing-down of their own action-RPG is the right thing to do.

imported_van_HellSing
2nd Nov 2008, 17:04
Apples and oranges.

Orange and lemon-lime?