PDA

View Full Version : Subway question

IH-Denton
28th Oct 2008, 17:04
So, what we have here...

http://www.planetdeusex.ru/denton/dx3/metro.jpg

An underground! Or metro, or subway, or the tube... anyway

Recently Rene has said - "Our tech supports streaming of data so the transition from indoors to outdoors will be seamless"

So... does it mean, that in Deus Ex 3 we could reach some in-game places by metro and, finally, see the trip-process itself? You know... staring into windows of train, hanging around from station to station, behold a beautiful view of Shanghai when underground becomes to a surface railway... and so on.

In previous Deus Ex games it was really sad - we didn't have any transport and even metro was just a method of level-changing, without showing the process of transportation.

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 17:11
Yeah, that would be neat. If this is the case, then in theory it would also be possible to reach those other places without taking the metro. Sightseeing, anyone? :D

Spyhopping
28th Oct 2008, 17:52
I initially thought René was just talking about more immediate transitions in and out of buildings.
But I really like the sound of that! Although some people might get impatient during the "journey". Perhaps it would be necessary for something interesting to happen whilst on the train so that a realistic amount of time is allowed to pass- rather than just let people skip it if they want.

Also, I've just noticed that there is a cow on the sign in the left hand side of the scan... is it a cow?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Oct 2008, 17:56
Also, I've just noticed that there is a cow on the sign in the left hand side of the scan... is it a cow?

Yes, this has been noticed. As with the 'bull head' on Barrett's belt buckle.
We had discussed the possible connections with Greek mythology and the temple of Knossos... (Daedulus/Icarus).

Spyhopping
28th Oct 2008, 18:29
Yes, this has been noticed. As with the 'bull head' on Garrett's belt buckle.
We had discussed the possible connections with Greek mythology and the temple of Knossos... (Daedulus/Icarus).

Yeah, I've seen comments about the bulls head on Barrett's buckle. I've probably missed plenty of interesting discussion on the "Deus Ex 3 Information" sticky thread. Its turned into such a huge thread that I stupidly tend to overlook it

René
28th Oct 2008, 18:30
Garrett's belt buckle.

Barrett. Garrett is from another Eidos brand. :D

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 18:38

Yeah, don't want to mix those up! :D

Yeah, I've seen comments about the bulls head on Barrett's buckle. I've probably missed plenty of interesting discussion on the "Deus Ex 3 Information" sticky thread. Its turned into such a huge thread that I stupidly tend to overlook it

Same here. I've kind given up on that topic except for the most recent 5 or 6 pages. Only DXe could have created such a monstrosity!

Spyhopping
28th Oct 2008, 19:04
Garrett... Ah, knew that name rang a bell :D

IH-Denton
28th Oct 2008, 19:17

Well... I like Thief too, but not as DX so, is there any chance to put this amazing possibility (about subway) into the game? :rolleyes:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Oct 2008, 19:28
LOL, that's twice I've got names mixed up over the past two days... sorry guys. :o
At least I keep it in the Eidos family, huh?! I love Thief! :p

I've edited my mistake, hehe. :D

GmanPro
28th Oct 2008, 22:12
It would be awesome for like an introductory cutscene reminiscent of the Half-Life 1 intro on the transit system ride through Black Mesa. Does anyone remember the HL2 Episode 1 train ride at the end of the game. That was a pretty long train ride. Anyway just a thought, but I seriously doubt that they are going to make the outdoor areas big, or at least bigger than they were in DX1 just from what they said about not wanting us to "search around for medkits" or whatever. So getting a chance to explore all of shanghai is definitely not going to happen. It will probably be more like the way Mass Effect did it, unfortunately.

It would be awesome if u could ride the train through the city at the beginning of the game, on your way to the job, and the credits are displayed along the sides of the buildings all the way there. You could have some cool techno playing... :whistle:

:thumbsup:

AaronJ
29th Oct 2008, 18:26
Someone has to have spotted the cow by now.

René
29th Oct 2008, 21:43
^^
Apparently we have cows and horses in this forum!

Flobulon
29th Oct 2008, 21:54
Someone has to have spotted the cow by now.

Did I completely miss some sarcasm or an outside reference, AaronJ, or...?

Absentia
29th Oct 2008, 22:26
This seems like a really cool idea, and an idea just shot into my head about how it could be done...
I dont like the idea of having to wait around ages for the train to surface though, but Im thinking a train might be a really cool idea for NPC interraction.
Lets say you go on this train, and there isnt much to see outside because it's just the black walls from the underground tunnels. You're also not given a specific time limit until the train reaches the station - but when you interract with a train door, it triggers the moving of the train to the station where you can get off, so train journeys can be speedy if you want them to be and you could head straight for the door as soon as the train starts moving. Maybe the screen could fade out and in, signalling the passing of time.
However, you could also spend your time interracting with people on trains if you wished. Maybe someone you know just happens to be there, or maybe as part of a shady underground exchange of information, you're asked to meet with an insider on a train...Maybe some guy is selling drugs (Zyme! xD) or theres some bonus you can get by exploring. It also means this allows for a lot of variation within the same concept- different trains at different places in different times could have different people.
Although, this might be kinda dumb if the game is totally free roaming, cause you could play through half the game and then visit the same train station to find exactly the same people on presumably the same train journey they were on before...

[EDIT:] I don't think I was that clear about the transition from the train being in the tunnel to it reaching the next station. I don't want it to seem like you just black out and suddenly youre at the station. I mean, as far the game engine is concerned, the train might not even be moving (the windows would be blackened) but the sound and maybe movement of the carriage would make it seem like it is. All the triggering does it make the carriage physically move to the station, so its pretty much seamless. Or even better, have some kind of looping area of movement (it moves to one point and then the part that it just moved from is redrawn in the distance or something, seeming like its endlessly travelling when its mostly the same backdrop, and the previous one is deleted once its impossible for the player to see it)

I'm probably being too technical about something that isn't even going to be implemented anyway, but yeah...

GmanPro
29th Oct 2008, 23:19
Well it seems to me like what you are describing is a big sandbox style city where you can jump on the train and move around if you want to (reminds me of Oblivion or GTA IV). I was going for more of a linear, story-driven cinematic experience. The train scene in Half Life was cool and later on you end up going back to the transit system. In DX the subway was just there for that one transition between Battery Park and Hell's Kitchen.

I was thinking about having one big (not too big) and awesome train ride through shanghai that allows you to establish the setting in a cool way. You'd have people getting on and off at stops maybe. You could have an announcer speaking over the intercom talking about current world events (the subway bomber strikes again or something) and you could show off your pretty city and shiny graphics too :nut:. And like I said before, you could have the credits displayed on the sides of the buildings (like in Panic Room).

Absentia
30th Oct 2008, 00:10
Yeah I think the cinematic idea is probably a lot more impressive actually. I'm just a little confused as to how the game's structure is working, because I'm sure I read somewhere that you have some kind of city hub and you roam around freely, in which case my idea might be cool as simply a transport between two places. A cinematic experience on a train with all the sightseeing and scripted actions would be pretty damn cool to see though.

GmanPro
30th Oct 2008, 00:13
I'm all for having a big explorable environment. But it has to actually be different and interesting and not just like Oblivion or GTA IV. But just judging from what they said about not wanting us to search around for medkits I'm guessing that the levels are going to be small like Mass Effect or KotOR unfortunately. But we will see...

[EDIT] I just remembered that they said the transitions between indoor and outdoor areas is going to be seamless, so I guess that means that it IS going to be one big environment. But how big and explorable is yet to be revealed.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Oct 2008, 09:19
The bigger, the better... :cool:

DXeXodus
30th Oct 2008, 09:26
Gman, there have been many hints at large, explorable environments. Jordan_a mentioned, after his visit to the studio, that it is a major focus of the game. Also, the TRU engine being used supports large levels. So I would put my money on DX3 having big levels, unlike DX2.

GmanPro
30th Oct 2008, 12:59
Cool

Yargo
30th Oct 2008, 17:04
The bigger, the better... :cool:

Gman, there have been many hints at large, explorable environments. Jordan_a mentioned, after his visit to the studio, that it is a major focus of the game. Also, the TRU engine being used supports large levels. So I would put my money on DX3 having big levels, unlike DX2.

Big is always nice, but detailed and thoroughly thought out is more important;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Oct 2008, 17:34

Of course. ;) :cool:

DXeXodus
31st Oct 2008, 03:51

I think, looking at the screenshots, we can see a relentless attention to detail by Eidos Montreal. I feel it is safe to say that from an art/aesthetics and level planning perspective, they are hitting the nail on the head.

Ritter
31st Oct 2008, 04:21
oh well,I hope DX 3 won't be ended by saving the world from an evil girly guy plan to becoming God by crashing a meteor into the earth :|

Yargo
31st Oct 2008, 16:01
I think, looking at the screenshots, we can see a relentless attention to detail by Eidos Montreal. I feel it is safe to say that from an art/aesthetics and level planning perspective, they are hitting the nail on the head.

Do you think the subway pic is a screenshot? It looks like it could be but it seems to polished :scratch: . if it is that would be cool!

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 04:01
A very large amount of the pictures we have so far are screenshots. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Subway pic is a screenshot. I wasn't really referring to the subway picture though, more to the other pics we have already.