PDA

View Full Version : Keypads & Passwords

Tracer Tong
28th Oct 2008, 06:27
Hello,

I'd like to see the return of keypads in DX3. When playing DX1 the ~11th time, I've already got to the stage that I remember some codes. It was very nice at the time and was pretty immersive during the first gameplay.

NSF001, smashthestate, anyone? :p

Share your thoughts.

VodunLoas
28th Oct 2008, 06:36
It would be great to have in DX3, but not sure how it would work on consoles. Best way I can think is the Doom 3 way, where you can press on the numbers when mouse is over the keypad.... man I loved the doom 3 monitors.

Tracer Tong
28th Oct 2008, 06:56
Yeah Doom 3's monitor system (+ Quake IV) was totally awesome

DXeXodus
28th Oct 2008, 06:58
I agree. It would be great to have to type in the codes and passwords manually again. The lack of this element really added to Invisible Wars dumbing down crusade. I don't know why it would be an issue on consoles however. All you need is a keyboard on the screen which can be used with the controller. It was possible with the NES games back in the day so I am sure it is possible with an XBOX or PS3.

Yeah Doom 3's monitor system (+ Quake IV) was totally awesome

+ Prey (I think)

(Although, they did all use the same engine so it is understandable)

Tracer Tong
28th Oct 2008, 07:02
+ Prey (I think)

That's correct, plus one of the versions of Duke Nukem: Forever.

It's called the id Tech 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_4) engine. 5 is coming up too.

DXeXodus
28th Oct 2008, 07:21
Yip. I believe they are using it for Rage and Doom 4 (Probably in your link but I don't have the time to check it out right now.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Abram730
28th Oct 2008, 09:19
I agree. It would be great to have to type in the codes and passwords manually again. The lack of this element really added to Invisible Wars dumbing down crusade. I don't know why it would be an issue on consoles however. All you need is a keyboard on the screen which can be used with the controller. It was possible with the NES games back in the day so I am sure it is possible with an XBOX or PS3.

+ Prey (I think)

A tab system like how items are selected in menus for consoles... Also there are keyboards for the new systems and perhaps a detected keyboard could type it in.

spm1138
28th Oct 2008, 09:24

cudlla
28th Oct 2008, 09:52
Really hope it will be like in first Deus Ex, not like IW. BTW: Doom 3 monitors really rock. PCs in DX3 could look like that.

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 14:01
That's correct, plus one of the versions of Duke Nukem: Forever.

It's called the id Tech 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_4) engine. 5 is coming up too.

Yeah, really looking forward to a project made with Tech 5. :)

El_Bel
28th Oct 2008, 15:55
The industry as a whole has grown up and changed quite a bit in the last eight years and the designers didn’t want people exploring levels just for pass codes....

Really, if they dont want us to search for medkits, why should we search for codes?

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 16:35
The industry as a whole has grown up and changed quite a bit in the last eight years and the designers didn’t want people exploring levels just for pass codes....

Really, if they dont want us to search for medkits, why should we search for codes?

Oh hush. Are you really gonna bring that into this? :p

ZylonBane
28th Oct 2008, 16:50
The industry as a whole has grown up and changed quite a bit in the last eight years and the designers didn’t want people exploring levels just for pass codes...
Oh come on, you can troll better than that. I've seen you do it.

As for keypads and passwords, I'm strongly in favor of them. However, this time around I'd favor a hybrid approach somewhere between DX's manual entry system and IW's entirely automatic system.

What I'd like to see is this-- when you click on a keypad or computer or whatever, the interface offers the choice to enter something manually, AND, displays a list of recently discovered passcodes, from which you can simply select one and have it auto-entered. This would offer the best of both worlds. You'd have the freedom to guess passcodes if you felt like it (which could be used to support passcode-based puzzles), while not having to faff about on the keyboard if you already know exactly what the passcode is (while at the same time not making it feel like the game is just playing itself).

In a sense, this would merely be the logical integration of two systems that already exist in DX-- the keyboard interface, and the Goals/Notes tab. It always bugged me that I couldn't being up the notes tab when trying to enter someone's ATM numbers. Imagine if you could simply display them side-by-side, scroll to the note for the passcode you need, and click on it to auto-enter it. That's what I want.

Also, one other change-- Randomize plot-critical keycodes. No more being able to walk right into VersaLife as soon as you arrive in Hong Kong because you remembered the keycode from last time.

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 17:16
As for keypads and passwords, I'm strongly in favor of them. However, this time around I'd favor a hybrid approach somewhere between DX's manual entry system and IW's entirely automatic system.

What I'd like to see is this-- when you click on a keypad or computer or whatever, the interface offers the choice to enter something manually, AND, displays a list of recently discovered passcodes, from which you can simply select one and have it auto-entered. This would offer the best of both worlds. You'd have the freedom to guess passcodes if you felt like it (which could be used to support passcode-based puzzles), while not having to faff about on the keyboard if you already know exactly what the passcode is (while at the same time not making it feel like the game is just playing itself).

In a sense, this would merely be the logical integration of two systems that already exist in DX-- the keyboard interface, and the Goals/Notes tab. It always bugged me that I couldn't being up the notes tab when trying to enter someone's ATM numbers. Imagine if you could simply display them side-by-side, scroll to the note for the passcode you need, and click on it to auto-enter it. That's what I want.

Also, one other change-- Randomize plot-critical keycodes. No more being able to walk right into VersaLife as soon as you arrive in Hong Kong because you remembered the keycode from last time.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VodunLoas
28th Oct 2008, 17:26

If Doom 3 had it, why can't Deus Ex 3?

mouse
28th Oct 2008, 18:49
Hello,

I'd like to see the return of keypads in DX3. When playing DX1 the ~11th time, I've already got to the stage that I remember some codes. It was very nice at the time and was pretty immersive during the first gameplay.

NSF001, smashthestate, anyone? :p

Share your thoughts.

This is exactly the reason why I don't like the idea of simple and fixed passwords. I dont know how to make it more challenging though without making random passwords or abandon them in favor of a mini-game of some kind. :scratch:

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 18:53
This is exactly the reason why I don't like the idea of simple and fixed passwords. I dont know how to make it more challenging though without making random passwords or abandon them in favor of a mini-game of some kind. :scratch:

As has been said, randomizing plot-critical passwords, or better yet, randomly picking each plot critical password/code from a large list (which is more practical for speech) is the way to go. :thumbsup:

spm1138
28th Oct 2008, 21:38
Even just a few alternates would help out the replay value I think.

And help me resist cheating :o

GmanPro
28th Oct 2008, 22:03
I also loved the Doom 3 style of in-game screens. I think this would look awesome not only for entering key codes but also for hacking into computers, atm machines, reading the news on those public news thingies. I also think that it would be kinda cool if for some of the more high-security zones in the game, an alarm would trigger if you enter an incorrect code too many times. They could also add maybe half-life style eye-scans or fingerprint scans. Things like that could prevent the player from entering an area that they aren't yet supposed to be entering. And randomized codes is definitely a good idea, although I'm not sure how it would work for randomized logins/passwords :scratch:. You'd want the login and password to have something to do with the situation and the dude who uses the computer...

Tstorm
28th Oct 2008, 22:53
It would be great to have in DX3, but not sure how it would work on consoles. Best way I can think is the Doom 3 way, where you can press on the numbers when mouse is over the keypad.... man I loved the doom 3 monitors.

Thats why consoles are inferior and the game should be made for pc. Dumbing down the game because you are trying to write with a square box.

Tracer Tong
29th Oct 2008, 04:23
I can't believe it's even up for discussion.
I support randomized codes for some cases (ATM IDs and PIN codes, and non-trivial non-crucial keypads) but for the others?

Let me give you an example: In my first playthrough of DX1, when I first reach Hong Kong, 911 was a complete guess for the police door. Man, was I happy to find out that I was right! These experiences, IMHO, make DX what it is.

Wow, I really forgot Doom 3 did it too. If so then even the "times are changing" argument is silly and useless.