PDA

View Full Version : Nothing you say here will have any effect on the game.

pauldenton
26th Oct 2008, 11:16
Nothing you say here will have any worthwhile effect on the game, they have said as much.

That's right folks, even if you had a poll(where is that poll by the way?) demanding that Shadow stealth be bought back and that Auto healing and third person be scrapped and the poll got 100% backing to scrap such ideas with thousands of fans demanding a change - NOTHING will happen, you will be ignored just as you were in Invisible war.

These people claim to know best, just as with invisible war.

Fact is these people are making a game that they feel has maximum comercial appeal and the true fans of DX will be squeezed out with a long list of compromises to the mainstrem market.

Stop kidding yourselfs.

DX is dead.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 11:25
Nothing you say here will have any worthwhile effect on the game, they have said as much.

That's right folks, even if you had a poll(where is that poll by the way?) demanding that Shadow stealth be bought back and that Auto healing and third person be scrapped and the poll got 100% backing to scrap such ideas with thousands of fans demanding a change - NOTHING will happen, you will be ignored just as you were in Invisible war.

These people claim to know best, just as in invisible war.

Fact is these people are making a game that they feel has maximum comercial appeal - as with Invisible war and the true fans of DX will be squeezed out with a long list of compromises to the mainstrem market.

Face facts, DX is dead, i have no more interest in this game than any other game being produced i'm sad to say.

Although I understand where you are coming from, the only facts I will be facing are.... well, the facts. ;)
So, I'm going to wait for EM to finish making DX3 and I have played it. AFTER I have played the game, then I will judge.

Anyway, in before the lock, I hope.
I think this sort of stand-alone thread isn't necessary. You could of said what you have said in any number of other existing threads (and it has been expressed already). :p

pauldenton
26th Oct 2008, 11:35
I think this sort of stand-alone thread isn't necessary. You could of said what you have said in any number of other existing threads (and it has been expressed already). :p

Why the fascist lock, because i'm not a sycophant like you?
I may be wrong but i don't recall other starter threads that have directly highlighted the fact that we are being willfully ignored?

Anyone willing to put forward the following simple poll? -

Would you like to see Eidos scrap auto healing, third person and bring back shadow stealth?
yes or no?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 11:44
Why the lock, because i'm not a sycophant like you?
What other threads have directly highlighted the fact that we are being willfully ignored? care to give me a link?

Ooooh, no need for you to stoop so low in conversation that you must call me names, hehe! :eek: :p
The lock suggestion wasn't meant to be taken seriously by you or even the mods. I'm not a mod, so don't take it personally please.

I am not going to plough through threads finding other posts where people have suggested that our opinions are being ignored, sorry.
But you can find them if you have time to waste on the matter, I don't have that time or inclination. ;)
Hint: Just look through the threads that discuss the magazine reviews. :)

EDIT: Oh, I see you have edited your reply now... :)
Ooooh, adding "fascist"?!!! LOL. :D

JakePeriphery
26th Oct 2008, 11:52
:nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 11:54
Would you like to see Eidos scrap auto healing, third person and bring back shadow stealth?
yes or no?

Oh, you keep editing your replies. It gets confusing. :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:
But to reply to the new bit quoted above... why not create a poll to ask? :)
There are threads discussing the healing, third person and stealth issues etc already, but nobody has made a poll, for sure....

Bluey71
26th Oct 2008, 12:03
Although I understand where you are coming from, the only facts I will be facing are.... well, the facts. ;)
So, I'm going to wait for EM to finish making DX3 and I have played it. AFTER I have played the game, then I will judge.

Sorry MRS P, but Ive got to pick up on one point here.

No, dont buy the game first. This is a big part of whats going wrong in my opinion.
Judge the game first using magazine reviews and the demo (if there is one), then decide whether or not to buy.

If you just buy the game straight off - the money men win, and then any future DX game will be a simple rinse and repeat.

Look at the effort EM are putting into DX3's storyline,character development and npc interaction. They are doing that because of the ****storm that followed IW.

Yes there does appear to be some points of this game that arnt going to be fun - but hey, you have to fight for what you want. Dont just hand over your money like a robot.

pauldenton
26th Oct 2008, 12:03
Ooooh, no need for you to stoop so low in conversation that you must call me names, hehe! :eek: :p
The lock suggestion wasn't meant to be taken seriously by you or even the mods. I'm not a mod, so don't take it personally please.

EDIT: Oh, I see you have edited your reply now... :)
Ooooh, adding "fascist"?!!! LOL. :D

Stoop low? you state that you hoped the thread would be locked with no indication of humour in sight ( a lame post event excuse when called out) and yes i do consider it rather fascist and sycophantic to seek the locking of a thread because it is critical.

However no name calling is needed - it is clearly self evident!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 12:07
Stoop low? you state that you hoped the thread would be locked with no indication of humour in sight ( in my view, a lame post event excuse when called out) and yes i do consider it rather fascist and sycophantic to seek the locking of a thread because it is critical.

Self evident really!

Yes, name-calling stoops low and isn't necessary. ;)
LOL, many threads on this forum are critical and I haven't asked for those to be locked.
I was merely pointing out that what your new thread was saying has already been discussed elsewhere. BUT... if you wish to only focus on this invalid point... I'll leave you to it. :rasp:

Meanwhile, back on topic... are you going to create a poll? :)

WhatsHisFace
26th Oct 2008, 12:09

No, dont buy the game first. This is a big part of whats going wrong in my opinion.
Judge the game first using magazine reviews and the demo (if there is one), then decide whether or not to buy.

If you just buy the game straight off - the money men win, and then any future DX game will be a simple rinse and repeat.

Look at the effort EM are putting into DX3's storyline,character development and npc interaction. They are doing that because of the ****storm that followed IW.

Yes there does appear to be some points of this game that arnt going to be fun - but hey, you have to fight for what you want. Dont just hand over your money like a robot.

I agree. There are certain things I'm looking to hearing for from this game, and if I don't hear them, I'm not buying it. And I hope the other 1.1 million Deus Ex 1 fans do the same.

And it's true, the developers aren't going to change the game at all. But we can at least express disapproval, so when this thing tanks hard, they can't say they weren't warned.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 12:12

No need to apologise, I understand what you are saying, yes. :)
But, in reality.... I would still buy DX3.
That's because I don't expect it to be DX1 - I do know that it will be different. I'm not against change... I'm open to all possibilities.
Therefore, I merely wish to judge DX3 on its own merits.

Larington
26th Oct 2008, 12:21
DX1 isn't dead, its just resting. Pining for fjords... Etc.

I didn't seriously believe for one second that DX3 was going to be anything like DX1. Whether we buy the game or not we'll find out if Eidos Montreal made a mistake once the game has been released.

Problem is, in a publisher driven world, the main thing that will be looked at is day one sales and I have a feeling that it doesn't matter if it was a more DX1 or IW or whatever approach, marketted well it'll still sell well because even if the gameplay ain't ideal, I'm pretty sure a lot of emphasis will be placed on the setting anyway.

There are scant few near future games around at the moment, you see.

Who knows, maybe DX3 will be extremely successful anyway, all the publishers will jump on the new thing like 'a politician on a protect the children podium' and one of the rut of near future games that comes out will be far closer to what people want to see from a game like Deus Ex (Gameplay as simulation, emphasis on story, depth of gameplay, etc.)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 12:34
Who knows, maybe DX3 will be extremely successful anyway....

Exactly. :cool:
That is why I can only judge DX3 after I have played it.
To play it, I must buy it...

Hopefully, the game will rock our socks off... but we shall have to wait and see.
:)

Mindmute
26th Oct 2008, 12:58
snip
Here's a tissue.

To be honest, I'll "use" your title and say that nothing you say here will have any effect on the posters.

AaronJ
26th Oct 2008, 13:57
I think we're all aware that they're dismissing all of our criticism.

pauldenton
26th Oct 2008, 15:14
Here's a tissue.

To be honest, I'll "use" your title and say that nothing you say here will have any effect on the posters.

Great! as I would hate to see one of your sarcastic, arrogant posts in this thread - ooops too late! :nut:

Cugros
26th Oct 2008, 15:26
Your sarcastic remark and post demonstraits that something i have said has had `some` effect on you and given the other replies makes your arrogant blanket statement look rather foolish.

LOL! Now I simply have to resort to extreme measures and use a smiley: :lol:
That reply made my day!
But really, why are you editing them posts of yours all the time?
While I was writing this, A new version of your last post was created.
The quoted version was better than the new, it was so " "smart" "

But now, to avoid being accused of off-topic, I'll share you my thoughts on the subject. "Posts wont make difference", you say? Well, while most of the actual developers might give the forum little or no attention, some are bound to read it. And even if they don't really care, at least we get to complain and let the anger towards game developers out. And we also get a little bit of community spirit when we all express our hatred towards bad games. We know that we are not alone with our views. That is kind of consoling.

But honestly our posts truly will only have little or no effect on the game. But just in case they do have at least some meaning to the developers, I think it pays off to post. We have a chance to make a difference, so why waste it?

Icky6
26th Oct 2008, 15:29
No one here should give any mind to pualdenton, being an antagonistic moron seems to be his main goal.

Mindmute
26th Oct 2008, 16:23
Great! as I would hate to see one of your sarcastic, arrogant posts in this thread - ooops too late! :nut:

You don't need to have an effect on me for me to be arrogant or sarcastic, I'm just built like that, no need to flatter yourself. :rolleyes:

And note that I was trying to kid with you on my original post, if you didn't get that I'll just have to quote JC:

What a shame ;)

Disclaimer:80% of every seemingly "attacking" comment I make is actually a light hearted joke, I am perfectly aware however that people me usually have a hard time telling if I'm being serious.
Because of that, I'm considering adding this disclaimer as a forum signature of some sort.
Don't take it personally ;)

Bluey71
26th Oct 2008, 16:47
Exactly. :cool:
That is why I can only judge DX3 after I have played it.
To play it, I must buy it...

Hopefully, the game will rock our socks off... but we shall have to wait and see.
:)

Well that doesnt make any sense to me. How do you expect developers, or anyone for that matter,to improve their product if you keep buying it, regardless if its any good or not?

Take the item back for a refund?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 16:52
Oh dear. I can see there is more name-calling going on and things are still being taken too personally, lol. :D
"You are only minimally modified. We can help you correct this."

To get back on track and try to redeem any point to this thread (my suggestion in no way being fascist or sycophantic :p ) I have to ask if pauldenton can at least create a poll, with reference to my earlier suggestion to, yes, his earlier edited reply. ;)

Thank you for reading/listening... :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 17:19
Well that doesnt make any sense to me. How do you expect developers, or anyone for that matter,to improve their product if you keep buying it, regardless if its any good or not?
Take the item back for a refund?

Why doesn't it make any sense? :)
To keep this in perspective, I don't keep buying it. My purchase of DX3 will be my first one ever (*fun application of logic there*:p ).

Sure, its nice to state what we want/expect and hope the devs will adopt accordingly. However, I am not the artist creating the brush strokes, I'm merely the observer. If I love the finished picture, then I'll be happy. If it isn't quite the picture I had imagined or hoped for, I may still like it - especially if I consider the fact that (even for the DX franchise) change can be for the better.

So, come on. Are you categorically saying that if the devs do not follow our every desire/command, you won't buy the game?
If so, fair enough. This is your perogative and nobody here can take that away from you.

Personally, I have no intention of dismissing DX3 for any of these reasons, especially BEFORE I have played the game.
I like and respect art and creativity. I love it best when it is free to explore its own path, without rules or expectations. Often, it is these defining moments that allow for genius to unfold.

So, I have every intention of buying this game and letting it paint its OWN picture for me.
I am very sorry if this doesn't make any sense; I'm only expressing my personal views. :)

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
26th Oct 2008, 17:24
YES YES YES!!!!

Definitely wait until this has been out for a while before you buy it. If the past is any indication, this game will be a dog....a dog you cannot return.

I got the original Deus EX free as part of a two pack....and I WASTED 50 bucks on IW.

NEVER AGAIN.

Bluey71
26th Oct 2008, 19:24
So, come on. Are you categorically saying that if the devs do not follow our every desire/command, you won't buy the game?
If so, fair enough. This is your perogative and nobody here can take that away from you.

Nope thats not what Im saying.

What I am saying is that I expect DX3 to be a deus Ex game, and not another dumbed down, fast buck maker, and to determine that I will want to try before I buy. I also believe that is what every other DX1 fan should do too.

Why? Because as I said earlier, if you simply buy it without any respect for the type of gameplay it has, you are sending the wrong message to both developers and publishers. And in the end when we are all fed up with the cr@p being fed to us, we will sadly only have ourselves, and our attitude to buying games, to blame.

Voltaire
26th Oct 2008, 19:30
Good god, man. What is it with all this whining. The fact that the frigging "original" post keeps morphing and changing shows that somebody doesn't know what the hell they're on about. You think that if the Eidos people listen to the some potential internet whackjobs then they're game will be better for the "hardcore fans"? (By the way what is that? Everyone who liked the game is a fan, did the "hardcore" ones just put more feeling into it? Or are they the ones with a DX mouse mat and a JC Denton bed-spread?)

Well why don't we take Paul's advice here, like the rookie agent that we are (ooh inside reference, how hardcore of me). Let's "face facts". If the suggestions on this forum were heeded, any of these could be true of DX3:

Universal ammo, multiple ammo, 1st person throughout, 3rd person interactions, male lead, female lead, customisable gender, prequel, sequel, dx1 remake, cameos from forum members, cameos from EM staff, cameos from ex DX writers & directors & producers & cleaning ladies, cameos from dx1 characters, contradictory plotlines, strictly dx1 adherent plotlines, decanonisation of IW, cone of vision stealth, shadow stealth, made up stories, "real" conspiracies, weight based inventory, slot based inventory, how it can be arranged in a stocking based inventory.

Yeah, go for it EM. You should know by now what us hardcore fans want, our picky needs and wants aren't diverse and contradictory in the slightest.

Edit: And, just a thought here... religious pining for the old regime, retrospectively adjusting media, hypocritical outbursts (accuse MrsP of "attacking" in her posts... nice touch there)... all these seem relatively fascist concepts to me.

Mecranth
26th Oct 2008, 19:36
Problem is, Blue, developers and publishers can't really take such things into consideration so easily. They've decided on the game they will make and will not let a few misfired flames or generic complaints stop them from making it. One can either stick around and continue to do so, though, seeing as the game doesn't even have a release date yet, I fail to see the logic there, stick around and be a good sport about the concept of change, or just leave.

However, I guess that nitpicking about every single little detail is the..."mature" thing to be doing. I mean, what about the game is worth getting excited about?

Verification of open-ended environments? Nah, the automatic healing totally ruins that, no matter how good they may be.

How about the many augmentations to help add depth to the gameplay? Nah, because they look too "unrealistic" and clearly don't belong in a fictional futuristic world.

Okay...Maybe we can be mature regarding the fact that stealth exists at all? Of course not, it's cover-based now. Who cares if they bothered to implement it at all? They wasted their time.

:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for EM. All that work and the only thing they get for it is a paycheck. I'm indescribably glad I'm not involved in game development these days.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 21:31
What I am saying is that I expect DX3 to be a deus Ex game, and not another dumbed down, fast buck maker, and to determine that I will want to try before I buy. I also believe that is what every other DX1 fan should do too.
Why? Because as I said earlier, if you simply buy it without any respect for the type of gameplay it has, you are sending the wrong message to both developers and publishers. And in the end when we are all fed up with the cr@p being fed to us, we will sadly only have ourselves, and our attitude to buying games, to blame.

Sure, I have no wish to see DX3 be a dumbed down, fast buck maker either. It goes without saying that I'm hoping the game will be beautifully crafted and as immersive as DX1 - BUT I'm not expecting it to be an exact copy so that's why I'm pretty laissez-faire about 'the changes' that the devs appear to have made. I just prefer to keep open-minded about it for the time being.... *meditates*

As for trying the game before you buy - I'm expecting there will be a playable demo closer to release date anyway. Problem solved. :cool:
Hopefully, this demo will give all of us an opportunity to either support or dispel any doubts we may have.
(EDIT: This gave me an idea for a new thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=81548)

Finally, how can buying the finished game be sending the wrong message to the devs and publishers? :nut:
The game is going to be made regardless... I can only physically buy it when the game has been released, correct?
Only after the game has been played can messages to the devs be a relevant source of critique or inspiration. That is my attitude to buying games anyway... and 'blame' doesn't come into it because, as said, the game is going ahead... whether we decide here and now to buy it or not.
I'm going to buy it, and I make no apology for not feeling guilty over this decision. :rasp:

Good god, man. What is it with all this whining. The fact that the frigging "original" post keeps morphing and changing shows that somebody doesn't know what the hell they're on about. You think that if the Eidos people listen to the some potential internet whackjobs then they're game will be better for the "hardcore fans"? (By the way what is that? Everyone who liked the game is a fan, did the "hardcore" ones just put more feeling into it? Or are they the ones with a DX mouse mat and a JC Denton bed-spread?)

Well why don't we take Paul's advice here, like the rookie agent that we are (ooh inside reference, how hardcore of me). Let's "face facts". If the suggestions on this forum were heeded, any of these could be true of DX3:

Universal ammo, multiple ammo, 1st person throughout, 3rd person interactions, male lead, female lead, customisable gender, prequel, sequel, dx1 remake, cameos from forum members, cameos from EM staff, cameos from ex DX writers & directors & producers & cleaning ladies, cameos from dx1 characters, contradictory plotlines, strictly dx1 adherent plotlines, decanonisation of IW, cone of vision stealth, shadow stealth, made up stories, "real" conspiracies, weight based inventory, slot based inventory, how it can be arranged in a stocking based inventory.

Yeah, go for it EM. You should know by now what us hardcore fans want, our picky needs and wants aren't diverse and contradictory in the slightest.

Edit: And, just a thought here... religious pining for the old regime, retrospectively adjusting media, hypocritical outbursts (accuse MrsP of "attacking" in her posts... nice touch there)... all these seem relatively fascist concepts to me.

LOL @ hardcore fans having a DX mousemat and JC Denton bedspread! That made me laugh just visualising it, hehe. :lmao:

pauldenton
27th Oct 2008, 04:02
Good god, man. What is it with all this whining. The fact that the frigging "original" post keeps morphing and changing shows that somebody doesn't know what the hell they're on about. You think that if the Eidos people listen to the some potential internet whackjobs then they're game will be better for the "hardcore fans"?

Post changes -

two posts i believe were changed slightly, with the original meaning of the post fully intact and before anyone had replied to them, i did not expect people to have replied and quoted me so fast. No further changes were made once the replies had started to come in, as that would be wrong, without reason given.

I have since learnt that changing the posts very slightly while people `may` be replying is not such a good idea but this really is trivial.

why this small change in the way i said something i said seems to bother you so much comes accross as rather grasping and weak much like the rest of your largely spurious post.

DXeXodus
27th Oct 2008, 04:17
There are plenty other places to voice your opinion about the game.

Voltaire
27th Oct 2008, 09:08
Post changes -

two posts i believe were changed slightly, with the original meaning of the post fully intact and before anyone had replied to them, i did not expect people to have replied and quoted me so fast. No further changes were made once the replies had started to come in, as that would be wrong, without reason given.

I have since learnt that changing the posts very slightly while people `may` be replying is not such a good idea but this really is trivial.

why this small change in the way i said something i said seems to bother you so much comes accross as rather grasping and weak much like the rest of your largely spurious post.

"Spurious" or not though the post may be, my point remains: There is no "voice of the fans", just a kicking, biting cacophonous rabble made up of anoraks, imbeciles and the occasional ape with enough think power to present his or her ideas in an intelligent fashion.

And that's all this forum will ever be.

Tracer Tong
27th Oct 2008, 09:42
I think we're all aware that they're dismissing all of our criticism.

True, but we still need some place to rant and let off some steam, right?

DXeXodus
27th Oct 2008, 09:51
Because we get a new thread like this almost every single day (and the authors get really angry if their threads get closed) I am contemplating making a sticky rant thread in which people can post this kind of thing. I don't see the point in cluttering up the forum with these kinds of threads. Maybe one focussed thread would be better.

Kaze103
27th Oct 2008, 10:03
If you want to play a game that is exactly like DX1, I have a suggestion, its called DX1. It has the exact same game play mechanics, the exact same storyline, and best of all, there isn't auto regeneration from the start.

That's what you want isn't it?

Rather than ask for a carbon copy of DX1 and moan your backside off when you see something different, and complain because the dev's haven't made it exactly the same as the first one, be quiet and get out your copy of it. They aren't making DX1, they're making DX3, so get over it, there are going to be changes.

El_Bel
27th Oct 2008, 10:07
True, but we still need some place to rant and let off some steam, right?

No i dont do it to let off some steam!! I want my voice to be heard. And if a lot of the community has problems with something, the developers must give as some explanations. If we are not heard we are here just as a form of free advertisement and this feels like we are being used..

Kaze103: Blah blah blah i am a smart guy

Well mister smart guy, we want to play a new Deus Ex game. I dont have a problem with new futures and changes, because DX had flaws. But going for a new direction, from immersive simulation to fps-stealth rpg is something different.

DXeXodus
27th Oct 2008, 10:14
No i dont do it to let off some steam!! I want my voice to be heard. And if a lot of the community has problems with something, the developers must give as some explanations. If we are not heard we are here just as a form of free advertisement and this feels like we are being used..

I agree with you to an extent. We must however remember that we also visit forums to talk with people who are fans just like us. Because our mother sure as heck doesn't care whether or not Eidos incorporate universal ammo or not. We need a place to talk about it with people who actually care :)

imported_van_HellSing
27th Oct 2008, 10:17
And if a lot of the community has problems with something, the developers must give as some explanations.

No, they don't have to do anything.

El_Bel
27th Oct 2008, 10:28
No, they don't have to do anything.

Well they dont do it anyway. But then they cant complain when we yell about auto regeneration...

imported_van_HellSing
27th Oct 2008, 11:28
Yes, they can.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Oct 2008, 11:31
Because we get a new thread like this almost every single day (and the authors get really angry if their threads get closed) I am contemplating making a sticky rant thread in which people can post this kind of thing. I don't see the point in cluttering up the forum with these kinds of threads. Maybe one focussed thread would be better.

I hope that I am at liberty to absolutely agree with this proposal. :thumbsup: :)

imported_van_HellSing
27th Oct 2008, 11:37
That's a utopian idea. The people who post rants are usually too egocentric and self-important to follow such a rule.

"I'm a hardcore DX fan and my hardcore rant is more intelligent and original and hardcore than any other, therefore I deserve my own hardcore thread!"

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/1886/jhpk9.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Oct 2008, 11:40
That's a utopian idea. The people who post rants are usually too egocentric and self-important to follow such a rule.

"I'm a hardcore DX fan and my rant is more intelligent and original than any other, therefore I deserve my own thread!"

Yes, yes... :) - but at least the mods can merge any thread or post into proposed main thread, at will.
Headache over, hehe. :D

DXeXodus
27th Oct 2008, 12:21
Well, if they make another thread it will be nicely merged into the rant thread. Nice and easy.

[EDIT] Beaten by MrsP. :)

Tracer Tong
27th Oct 2008, 20:24
Well, if they make another thread it will be nicely merged into the rant thread. Nice and easy.

You're the most thread-merge-loving moderator I know

imported_van_HellSing
27th Oct 2008, 20:31
Resistance is futile.

DXeXodus
28th Oct 2008, 04:00
You're the most thread-merge-loving moderator I know

Lol. Funny, the last time I merged a thread was about four weeks ago, and that was after getting a PM asking me to do so :scratch:

That hurts. *sob*

F3nyx
28th Oct 2008, 21:26
Yeah, I spent way too much effort prior to the DX2 release trying to convince the developers the game needed to be delayed and reworked. It came to nothing, of course. Partly because developers, understandably, aren't much interested in being second-guessed by kids on the internet, and partly because Eidos (the publisher) was focused on getting the game out the door.

The publisher has to have a huge amount of trust in the dev team to allow a "finished" (read: runs, but is unpolished, unenjoyable crap) game to be delayed -- Ion Storm Austin was a proven studio at the time of DX2, but Eidos still didn't give them any leeway. Guess how they'll treat a green studio. This game isn't going to get the extra time it'll need for polishing, so don't bother complaining when it finally becomes clear, 2-4 weeks before release, that the good parts of the game have failed to materialize.