PDA

View Full Version : Then there were 3.... "Deus Ex Trilogy" (remake of DX1)?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Oct 2008, 22:10
Okay, when DX3 is released there will then be three games in the franchise. :cool:
Do you think that it would be a good idea for Eidos to eventually release all 3 games together as a "Trilogy" set?

If so, would you like to see the games and accompanying booklet set in the order that the games were published, or in the order of the in-game history: ie. DX3, DX1, DX:IW, ?

But wait! :eek: What about DX1? :scratch:
A stunning game to play... but do you think Eidos should remake it first (improved graphics/engine etc) before adding it to the Trilogy set?
Kind of like what they did with the 1996 original "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider", transformed to the 2007 "Anniversary"? (which, imo, was beautifully remade; I hasten to add).
A remake of DX1 would surely please fans, old and new, and improve sales of the Trilogy.

Maybe you think a Trilogy (even with a DX1 remake) would be a waste of time and you would rather see resources going on a possible DX4... ;)

Please share your thoughts on this one. :)

v.dog
25th Oct 2008, 22:52
I would love to see Dx brought to the modern age, ala TR:A or Black Mesa (http://www.blackmesasource.com/), especially if they did it as a director's cut with all they things they couldn't do at the time due to limits of time/money/hardware/etc.

3nails4you
25th Oct 2008, 22:53
I think this is a great idea, as long as the remake doesn't remove the voice acting/gameplay at all, just the visual aspect and maybe a few glitch fixes and such.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Oct 2008, 22:56
I would love to see Dx brought to the modern age, ala TR:A or Black Mesa (http://www.blackmesasource.com/), especially if they did it as a director's cut with all they things they couldn't do at the time due to limits of time/money/hardware/etc.

I agree, a director's cut/extra mission(s) would be an additional incentive to buy the Trilogy. :cool:

I think this is a great idea, as long as the remake doesn't remove the voice acting/gameplay at all, just the visual aspect and maybe a few glitch fixes and such.

Also agreed. :)

AaronJ
25th Oct 2008, 23:14
I doubt they'd release that. After a game (and possibly another) they'd rather forget, and a semi-cancelled multiplayer based game (Snowblind), I think Deus Ex has had too much turbulence to warrant a trilogy set.

And please, everyone get off of this Remake Horse. It's not going to happen.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Oct 2008, 23:46
I doubt they'd release that. After a game (and possibly another) they'd rather forget, and a semi-cancelled multiplayer based game (Snowblind), I think Deus Ex has had too much turbulence to warrant a trilogy set.

And please, everyone get off of this Remake Horse. It's not going to happen.

DX:IW wasn't that bad (compared to other games) so why would they want to forget it?
DX3 is yet to be played, so pessimism doesn't count. :p
Snowblind has nothing to do with it.
DX1 'turbulence'? :scratch:

Remake horse? http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/horse.gif
N-n-n-neigh, tis the first time I have discussed it (to reply personally). :D

Perhaps if a DX1 remake was published as a stand-alone game, I would agree with you.
But as part of a Trilogy set (as per this discussion), I think it could always be a possibility. :cool:

Officer Half
26th Oct 2008, 00:16
I think a trilogy set would be a great idea, it'd let all those people who have never played any of the Deus Ex games a chance to play DX1 and 2 without going on ebay to buy the first or steam for the second.

I'm against a remake though. I like DX1 the way it is. If they DID do a remake, I hope they'd package it with the original. That way people could get the whole experience.

Captain Barfmonger
26th Oct 2008, 00:19
I think a trilogy set would be a great idea, it'd let all those people who have never played any of the Deus Ex games a chance to play DX1 and 2 without going on ebay to buy the first or steam for the second.

I'm against a remake though. I like DX1 the way it is. If they DID do a remake, I hope they'd package it with the original. That way people could get the whole experience.

Because that is just sooo difficult, isn't it?

Why make a remake? Really, why :confused: ?

Would a remake really sell "that" well???

Officer Half
26th Oct 2008, 00:36

Steam is quite annoying. I like having a hard copy. What if you are somewhere without internet? (Blasphemy, I know) You wan't to play DX2! But wait? You brought ever single game you own, but not DX2! Why? Because you bought it on steam!

While it's an unlikely scenario, I like having CDs. They make it easier to manage, I think.

Captain Barfmonger
26th Oct 2008, 00:44
Steam is quite annoying. I like having a hard copy. What if you are somewhere without internet? (Blasphemy, I know) You wan't to play DX2! But wait? You brought ever single game you own, but not DX2! Why? Because you bought it on steam!

While it's an unlikely scenario, I like having CDs. They make it easier to manage, I think.

So the reason for having a remake is so there are physical copies of the game?

That is basically retarded.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 00:47

If a remake is an improvement on the original, yes. I'd buy it. :)
I purchased TR:A just so I could 'relive' TR1, but this time with better engine and eye-candy. :D

The question is: Did TR:A make money for Eidos? Yes, it did. It appealed to old and new fans/players.
Eidos also made the game available across more platforms the second time round.
A DX trilogy could be released on Windows, PS2, PSP, Xbox 360 and Wii.

Also, if a remake means directors cut/extra mission(s), then its a yes vote again, from me. :thumbsup:

Jerion
26th Oct 2008, 00:50
The purpose of a remake is better AI and graphics (textures, bloom, DoF effects, animations, models, shaders, etc.). I would buy it because I'm a die-hard fan of DX 1. The update graphics would be a significant bonus, and improved AI would give a fresher approach to dealing with enemies.

I like the idea of a 10th anniversary trilogy release of all three games. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 00:57
They'd never remake it, they'd "reimagine" it. Which would be awful.

No, we are talking of a respectful REMAKE of the original in this thread, so unwarranted pessimism isn't allowed.
Shoo! :p :D

Please think along the lines of Tomb Raider: Anniversary and you will have no cause for doubt. ;)

WhatsHisFace
26th Oct 2008, 01:03
Yeah, it would be awesome to have a Deus Ex Adventure Platformer, actually.

pewbeng
26th Oct 2008, 01:17
Probably wouldn't sell that well, but in terms of publicity it would be a genius move. In times where games[Spore] get rated down on amazon because the publisher made dumb decisions, you'd think making them love you would do the opposite and attract buyers :)

Just have a look at the orange box. Dammit that thing sold well. (Remake)Bundle would rock.

Won't happen though. :P
If it does, I'll buy five and upload photos of it - promise!

AaronJ
26th Oct 2008, 02:16
DX:IW wasn't that bad (compared to other games) so why would they want to forget it?
DX3 is yet to be played, so pessimism doesn't count. :p
Snowblind has nothing to do with it.
DX1 'turbulence'? :scratch:

Remake horse? http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/horse.gif
N-n-n-neigh, tis the first time I have discussed it (to reply personally). :D

Perhaps if a DX1 remake was published as a stand-alone game, I would agree with you.
But as part of a Trilogy set (as per this discussion), I think it could always be a possibility. :cool:

The reply wasn't personal. Invisible War sold badly, ergo Snowblind was derailed and given another name. It sold badly, that's what matters to companies like Eidos. You can't escape pessimism. The turbulence was referring to the entire series. The trilogy still won't happen.

Plus, as posted above, they would re-imagine it. Probably call Rob Zombie in.

jc_lemon_lime
26th Oct 2008, 03:12
Okay, when DX3 is released there will then be three games in the franchise. :cool:
Do you think that it would be a good idea for Eidos to eventually release all 3 games together as a "Trilogy" set?

If so, would you like to see the games and accompanying booklet set in the order that the games were published, or in the order of the in-game history: ie. DX3, DX1, DX:IW, ?

But wait! :eek: What about DX1? :scratch:
A stunning game to play... but do you think Eidos should remake it first (improved graphics/engine etc) before adding it to the Trilogy set?
Kind of like what they did with the 1996 original "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider", transformed to the 2007 "Anniversary"? (which, imo, was beautifully remade; I hasten to add).
A remake of DX1 would surely please fans, old and new, and improve sales of the Trilogy.

Maybe you think a Trilogy (even with a DX1 remake) would be a waste of time and you would rather see resources going on a possible DX4... ;)

Please share your thoughts on this one. :)

i know i'd buy it

3nails4you
26th Oct 2008, 05:32

You know you can put Steam in offline mode and if you have ever logged into Steam you have a Clientregistry.blob file that stores your login info just for that reason.

pauldenton
26th Oct 2008, 06:29
We have largely covered this in this thread -

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75251&highlight=dx+remake

Cugros
26th Oct 2008, 06:34
First about the trilogy: I too was thinking, that when DX3 comes, we could have a trilogy edition. Because it is nowadays pretty much impossible to find a copy of DX1, mine was the last, propably the only one to begin with, in a shops bargainbox, which I had to dig through in order to find DX. But it was really affordable. A trilogy could allow new players to find the excellence of DX. I really like the idea of the trilogy, or at least make a new edition (not necesseraly any different from original) of DX, so people could buy it.

But changing the original DX? If not done properly, it would lead to a catastrophe with a new game that is actually worse than the original. And it would take time away from the already busy programmers, who could very well be programming new, maybe better games. And it would cost money to update the graphics (maybe engine), which would make it less affordable. Though I would still purchase it, no matter how flawed and expensive it was. Just like I bought IW, and like I will buy DX3.

And I also enjoy having an actual, physical version of a game, rather than just some row of 0s and 1s on my harddrive. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but Steam scares me. Having physical copies of a game is a valid reason for having a remake. I won't be buying any games on steam in the next ten years at least.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 11:15
The reply wasn't personal. Invisible War sold badly, ergo Snowblind was derailed and given another name. It sold badly, that's what matters to companies like Eidos. You can't escape pessimism. The turbulence was referring to the entire series. The trilogy still won't happen.

Plus, as posted above, they would re-imagine it. Probably call Rob Zombie in.
Yes, I know your reply wasn't personal. I was just trying to add a little humour. :)
DX:IW as a stand-alone game did sell poorly but that's why being part of a trilogy could possibly address this issue. I love DX1... and DX:IW was a disappointment, I admit, BUT I didn't loathe it - to be fair, it had its good points if I stood outside of the DX1 box.
I still don't care about Snowblind, it really has nothing to do with a possible DX Trilogy set.
No, you can't escape pessimism (human nature) - but it doesn't have to rule the day and seeing as more people are for the idea rather than against, I can see optimism is so far the winner.
I'm still not sure about the turbulence you speak of as far as using it as justification that a trilogy would never happen.

We have largely covered this in this thread -

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75251&highlight=dx+remake

Not exactly... your thread proposes a remake of DX1 bundled with DX3. :)
I propose a complete Trilogy set with or without a remake... :)
But some of the convo within the thread has similarities, I admit - mainly related to Steam. :scratch:

Hopefully people will forget about Steam etc because it isn't that relevant in this discussion. ;)

So, back on topic. I can see that the general consensus gives favour to an idea of a Trilogy. :thumbsup:
If a remake of DX1 is made then it will be a complete and respectful "remake" and not a 'reimagination' as some have suggested.
There is no point getting confused about what a remake actually means. TR:A was a wonderful and FAITHFUL remake of the first ever TR game.
The same is possible for DX1. :cool:

AaronJ
26th Oct 2008, 13:16
DX:IW as a stand-alone game

When I say standalone, I mean a game that does not involve the events of the other games.

gamer0004
26th Oct 2008, 13:38
Putting DX and DX3 together in a trilogy is like putting LotR and Star Wars together in a trilogy...

DXeXodus
27th Oct 2008, 04:36
I would definitely buy a trilogy box set. But I really don't mind if they put DX1 in just as it is. It would be an opportunity to buy Deus Ex 1 for about the fourth time :D

Officer Half
27th Oct 2008, 13:34
I would definitely buy a trilogy box set. But I really don't mind if they put DX1 in just as it is. It would be an opportunity to buy Deus Ex 1 for about the fourth time :D

Why pray tell, do you own so many copies? :scratch:

imported_van_HellSing
27th Oct 2008, 14:08
Personally I also have three copies of DX:

-the original release
-GOTY version that came covermounted in a magazine
-re-release, this time text-translated into Polish, bundled along with polish versions of IW and Snowblind (the box is titled the Deus Ex Anthology).

I also have five or so copies of Thief.

Jerion
27th Oct 2008, 14:56

I own two copies because the first disc got scratched up one fateful day, in a terrible accident involving a cat, a 6 year old, and a serious case of little-kid-boredom. :( The damage was so severe that you couldn't play through the Hong Kong missions except for the initial Helibase area.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Oct 2008, 16:00
I also have five or so copies of Thief.

OMG, glad I'm not the only one, lol! :o
I bet one of the five is the old, original "big box" version, right? :D :cool:

imported_van_HellSing
27th Oct 2008, 16:10
Sadly, no. I only first played Thief in, I think, 2002, which was both the time when I finally got a computer able to run the game decently and when the game was put on a magazine cover-cd. (The original DX release I got as a gift.)

I checked, and I do indeed have five copies of Thief (four vanilla TDP and one TG) - three covermounted ones, one standard Sold-Out edition and the Thief Anthology, analogous to the DX Anthology i mentioned, containing Thief Gold, Thief 2 and Thief: Deadly Shadows, all with polish text translations.

J.CDenton
27th Oct 2008, 17:33
I think it'll depend of the success of the game. If the game has bad reviews and/or in unsuccessfull it may freeze the possibility to have a box set.

But if not, yeah I'd like a DX Ultimate Pack with the three game and, why not, extra bonus like soundtracks, making of, artbook and other stuffs.

About DX4 once again it'll depend on the success of the game. A failure would result into the possibilité we would have to wait a loooooong time before hearing about a possible DX4.

For now, let's wait and see about DX3.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Oct 2008, 19:43
Putting DX and DX3 together in a trilogy is like putting LotR and Star Wars together in a trilogy...

LOL, I get the humour but not the reasoning. :p

DXeXodus
28th Oct 2008, 04:03

And you call yourself a fan. pfft.
Just joking.

My first one died in a tragic scratching accident. So I went and got another one which is very old now. So when they re-released it recently I couldn't resist.

Brashen
2nd Nov 2008, 22:08
Ok my plans are very simple. 1: Update Deus Ex graphically to an invisible war level. 2: Get Invisible war to run at 60fps with AA. 3: Update Project Snowblind's multiplayer graphics to a Deus Ex 3 level. 4: Include all in addition to Deus Ex 3, making a Deus Ex Box!!! Does anyone agree?

Mindmute
2nd Nov 2008, 22:33
Waste time and ressources that could be better used perfecting DX3 to do three other things that I won't really care much about anyway...

Can't say I agree there, mate. Just personal opinion.

SageSavage
2nd Nov 2008, 22:50
Nope, they shouldn't waste ressources on anything else. Pulling DX 3 off should be hard enough...

Brashen
2nd Nov 2008, 23:00
Couldn't they get another team/company to do it while they work on 3?

Unstoppable
2nd Nov 2008, 23:07
Eidos/SCI does not have the resources/money to do that. However there are free mods out there that update the Deus Ex graphics to high definition. Also plenty of texture packs for Invisible War. Just google them for more info.

Probably nothing for Snowblind since not many people know about it. Better to just focus on Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 :).

K^2
2nd Nov 2008, 23:14
Couldn't they get another team/company to do it while they work on 3?Yes they could. But that costs money. I'm not sure it would be worth for Eidos to invest in that. This really sounds more like a community project. I'm sure you could increase the poly counts and texture resolutions on DX, for example. Unreal engine should handle that alright. As for IW, it already runs well on modern hardware. If you also create a virtual drive on RAM, loading times aren't a problem either.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Nov 2008, 23:57
LOL, when will they ever make CDs that don't scratch? :D
Wait a minute, we will soon ditch 'the disc form' of course... :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Nov 2008, 23:58
Ok my plans are very simple. 1: Update Deus Ex graphically to an invisible war level. 2: Get Invisible war to run at 60fps with AA. 3: Update Project Snowblind's multiplayer graphics to a Deus Ex 3 level. 4: Include all in addition to Deus Ex 3, making a Deus Ex Box!!! Does anyone agree?

You mean like a kind of Trilogy box with updated game content? :p
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=81490

Jerion
3rd Nov 2008, 00:05
Thats exactly what he means.;)

Brashen
3rd Nov 2008, 00:54
That's exactly what I mean. Think Orange box, only Deus Ex. I think a lot of people with only a console would be more likely to buy it. As the first game was never released on xbox. Also Invisible war was never released for ps2. I'm sure you're all right about the cost factor but, I think it would be worth it.

spm1138
3rd Nov 2008, 01:04

Nope.

It's a horrible waste of developer time.

There's never "enough" time to finish a game and always compromises to be made so I'd really rather Eidos concentrate resources on the new game rather than messing around remaking old games.

The difference with Valve is it's their old engine, their old art assets. Here's it's a different team.

Sounds like a fascinating mod project though.

Brashen
3rd Nov 2008, 01:27
I respect that opinion. But like I said they could hand off development to a third party while concentrating on 3. I think it would help build a lot of hype for the game. I know people that will not buy a game unless it has multiplayer. That's where snowblind would come in. Snowblind's multiplayer was very underrated.

minicrossbow
3rd Nov 2008, 01:59
Negative on the tech for Deus Ex 1. Granted the game had good graphics, but the story line was the selling point of the game. I don't recall when exactly the game was released, but I'm nearly certain that there were other games with far better graphics.

Deus Ex 2 (Invisible War) was a huge let down. The story line was mundane and didn't evolve the original plot. Deus Ex 1 kept us in suspense through out the development of the storyline.

Honestly, If the Deus Ex 3 had Doom 1 graphics but a story line whose quality equaled that of Deus Ex 1, I would buy it in a heart beat. Lately, developers place so much emphasis on "video quality" that they've lost the skills to entertain us with an original character involving story.

MiniC

3nails4you
3rd Nov 2008, 03:16
We seriously need to have this sent as a PM to everyone. The number of duplicate threads is ridiculous. I have seen AT LEAST two other threads saying the exact same thing. They exist for a reason, put your opinions there, please. It makes the forums chaos and hard to read.

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 03:26
^^ Thanks 3nails4you. Saved me having to say it.

Jerion
3rd Nov 2008, 03:29
We seriously need to have this sent as a PM to everyone. The number of duplicate threads is ridiculous. I have seen AT LEAST two other threads saying the exact same thing. They exist for a reason, put your opinions there, please. It makes the forums chaos and hard to read.

Cue new mods...;)

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 04:06
Threads merged :thumbsup:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2008, 09:19
Cue new mods...;)
Be patient now... ;) :p

Jerion
3rd Nov 2008, 09:25
Be patient now... ;) :p

Aw fine. I'm already being very patient for something else though...;) :p

JC-Jack&coke
3rd Nov 2008, 09:50
A trilogy? Hell no.

Simple fact is DX:IW was just awful when compared to the original and should never be played again. A remake of the original IMO would be great. Let's face it. It had a great story, gameplay and a cracking soundtrack that kept you involved in the game. However with how TR was killed with the "remake" I'd prefere DX to be left alone because any fan of the game would still recomend that game to their friends and regard it as one of the best games to date. I'd be more in favour of them releasing the original as it was but with the twist of you being able to stay with unatco and hunt down your brother (DX was the first game to introduce mass choices for me and goddammit I want more):D

Really looking forward to DX3 and just hope they capture some of the magic that made DX one of the best games period.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2008, 09:58
Aw fine. I'm already being very patient for something else though...;) :p

You are? :eek: *raises eyebrow* :D

Tell us more... :p

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 10:11
I hereby order MrsP and Kierenator to keep quiet :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2008, 10:20
I hereby order MrsP and Kierenator to keep quiet :)

Well, you don't have to worry about me... I honestly have absolutely no idea what Kierenator is talking about when he refers to "something else". :o :p

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 10:29
You will soon. :rasp:

But anyway, back to the topic....

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2008, 11:40
Curiosity wins. PMs Kierenator immediately... :p

Yes, back on topic. :whistle:

Lazarus Ledd
3rd Nov 2008, 18:21
Eidos/SCI does not have the resources/money to do that. However there are free mods out there that update the Deus Ex graphics to high definition. Also plenty of texture packs for Invisible War. Just google them for more info.

Probably nothing for Snowblind since not many people know about it. Better to just focus on Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 :).

Exactly.

Exactly.

Thief Triology is pretty. Every game is an dedication to the era they were made. The graphics, the gameplay, the story...that's why we scrap the dust from them to play them again. Wrinkles are sexy, my lady! DX is in no need for botox from Eidos.

Jerion
3rd Nov 2008, 18:27
You will soon. :rasp:

But anyway, back to the topic....

She will? *raises eyebrow* :whistle:

Right...back on that topic thing. :D

Yargo
3rd Nov 2008, 20:49
She will? *raises eyebrow* :whistle:

Right...back on that topic thing. :D

Bunch of no good mods. FINE keep your secrets but you'll never know what I know mwah haha!!!!

DXeXodus
4th Nov 2008, 03:50
I was only talking about K and MrsP becoming mods :D

Phew, now that I have that off my chest......