PDA

View Full Version : I just realized something.

phlebas
25th Oct 2008, 17:23
The reason why I like DX1 so much is because it is a simulation game in guise of a first-person RPG. I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out.

Folks, Deus Ex is a simulation game, albeit with a story and FPS mechanics.

So the question now would be, does the development team aim to keep it that way for DX3? Or rather, do they even think of it that way?

Absentia
25th Oct 2008, 18:49
http://www.edge-online.com/news/deus-ex-was-%E2%80%9Ckinda-slow%E2%80%9D-says-deus-ex-3-dev

Nathan2000
25th Oct 2008, 19:12
I'll just leave this here.

Conceptually, Deus Ex is a genre-busting game (which really endeared us to the marketing guys) -- part immersive simulation, part role-playing game, part first-person shooter, part adventure game.

It's an immersive simulation game in that you are made to feel you're actually in the game world with as little as possible getting in the way of the experience of "being there." Ideally, nothing reminds you that you're just playing a game -- not interface, not your character's back-story or capabilities, not game systems, nothing. It's all about how you interact with a relatively complex environment in ways that you find interesting (rather than in ways the developers think are interesting), and in ways that move you closer to accomplishing your goals (not the developers' goals).

It's a role-playing game in that you play a role and make character development choices that ensure that you end up with a unique alter ego. You make your way through a variety of minute-to-minute gameplay experiences (which add up to a story) in a manner that grows naturally out of the unique aspects of your character. Every game system is designed to differentiate one player-character from another, and to allow players to make decisions that reflect their own biases and express character differences in obvious ways in the game world.

It's a first-person shooter because the action unfolds in real time, seen through the virtual eyes of your alter ego in the game world. Your reflexes and skill play an important part in determining your success in combat. However, unlike the typical FPS, Deus Ex doesn't force you to shoot every virtual thing that moves. Also unlike the average FPS, in which gameplay is limited to pulling a virtual trigger, finding blue keys to open blue doors and jumping to reach seemingly inaccessible locations, Deus Ex offers players a wide range of gameplay options.

And finally, Deus Ex is like adventure games in that it's story-driven, linear in narrative structure, and involves character interaction and item accumulation to advance the plot. However, unlike most adventure games (in which you spend the bulk of your time solving clever puzzles in a search for the next static, but very pretty, screen), Deus Ex asks players to determine how they will solve game problems and forces them to deal with the consequences of their choices.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001206/spector_01.htm

phlebas
25th Oct 2008, 19:58

Yeah, and I'm saying that with all things considered, DX1 is a sim, even with traits of different genres. What was your point?

Nathan2000
25th Oct 2008, 21:02
Yeah, and I'm saying that with all things considered, DX1 is a sim, even with traits of different genres. What was your point?

To prove you right, what else?

ZylonBane
25th Oct 2008, 23:45
Get over yourself. DX was, among other things a sim. This great revelation of yours has been common knowledge for years.

pewbeng
26th Oct 2008, 01:19
I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out.

Me neither.

jc_lemon_lime
26th Oct 2008, 03:17
The reason why I like DX1 so much is because it is a simulation game in guise of a first-person RPG. I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out.

Folks, Deus Ex is a simulation game, albeit with a story and FPS mechanics.

So the question now would be, does the development team aim to keep it that way for DX3? Or rather, do they even think of it that way?

i agree; there really aren't enough nano-cyborg secret agent/freedom fighter *** techno messiah sims out there

Abram730
27th Oct 2008, 04:22

He worked at Origin Systems.. that explains a lot.. I loved their games.

My fav was strike commander. The game was kind of a flop as they missed their hyped up release by years if I remember correctly.. :lol: I think I remember a joke poster or something about it come out in 1999 or something extreme like that.. :lol: If I remember correctly it was to come out in 91 and came out in 93.. but my memory could be wrong on that. I remember gourd shading or however you spell that being hyped and it was great. The game also was a bit advanced for the 486 as not everybody had the 66's and it really needed one. I bought both add ons and then the cd lol I seem to of lost them and may buy it again for s**** and giggles.

In that game governments and military all had collapsed and corporation ruled the world.. you played a merc pilot. flight sim/story(like wing commander) with economics like freespace but on earth and you had to make money to keep the squadron going. It even had a romantic part.
That's one totally out of date game I'd play again lol(CD version).

Origin really made amazing games... but they had no concept of time as many great creative types.. Marketing their games must of been a hair puller lol. Missing dates by years and all :lol:
But those were the days of fun flight sims:) after Origin went under I drifted away from flight sims and that dull tactical map. I played 3 missions and moved a line on a map.. yeh.. umm no It wasn't rewarding.:mad2: