PDA

View Full Version : Oh Noes....

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 15:08
Someone's got to help me. All my TR games ran fine a few weeks ago. I broke the disc drive and it got taken away to get repaired. I've got it back and its all fine, but all my TR games are really lagging. It's like stop motion. What's happened? :(
Not only will I not get to play the classic again, but no TRU for me. :(

TombRaiderBabbii
25th Oct 2008, 16:46
Sorry dont know how to fix it but.. the same thing happened to me a couple of years back, and i had to wait until i got a new computer :(

Rexie
25th Oct 2008, 16:55
The best way is to ask the guys who fixed the computer.

andrew90
25th Oct 2008, 16:58
well, if you can't solve the problem, get another HDD! if i were you that's what i would do!
good luck:)

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 17:06
well, if you can't solve the problem, get another HDD! if i were you that's what i would do!
good luck:)

If you don't mind my asking, what's HDD? :o
And Rexie, they won't do anything becuase it's on warranty. They only fixed the drive becuase they thought I hadn't done it. :o

andrew90
25th Oct 2008, 17:11
If you don't mind my asking, what's HDD? :o
And Rexie, they won't do anything becuase it's on warranty. They only fixed the drive becuase they thought I hadn't done it. :o

HDD is disk drive, hard drive whatever you call it!:)
that is what you said,right? you have problems with your disk drive!

rg_001100
25th Oct 2008, 17:14
By "disk drive" do you mean the CD drive, or the Hard-disk drive?

and is it only TR that's slow and laggy? If it's your CD drive that's broken, what about other games/CDs?

andrew90
25th Oct 2008, 17:17
i meant hard disk, i just said that cause he called it like that so he can understand what i'm saying:)
and yes, it is only TR with problems? if so try reinstall them!

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 17:20
By "disk drive" do you mean the CD drive, or the Hard-disk drive?

and is it only TR that's slow and laggy? If it's your CD drive that's broken, what about other games/CDs?

I meant by the part you put discs in. ;) Like cd's and such. And yeah it's TR, becuase I don't have any other PC games. I mean, dvd's and the like are fine, but the games are just really laggy, you know? Like unplayable. :(

andrew90
25th Oct 2008, 17:27
I meant by the part you put discs in. ;) Like cd's and such. And yeah it's TR, becuase I don't have any other PC games. I mean, dvd's and the like are fine, but the games are just really laggy, you know? Like unplayable. :(

Oooo wait,wait,wait! i thought you were talking about the hard disk:). now i understand, it is your CD,DVD ROM right?. you say it doesn't read it or install it?

rg_001100
25th Oct 2008, 17:28

You can maybe see where the confusion is... "disk drive" could've meant Hard-disk drive or Optical-disk drive...

Well, other games would be something to try...

Maybe try a disk-image emulator (so you can run CDs without them being in the CD drive), but that probably wouldn't work for TRU... (or TRA, or TRL).

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 17:33
You can maybe see where the confusion is... "disk drive" could've meant Hard-disk drive or Optical-disk drive...

Well, other games would be something to try...

Maybe try a disk-image emulator (so you can run CDs without them being in the CD drive), but that probably wouldn't work for TRU... (or TRA, or TRL).

Sorry, I'm really confusing, but I don't get computers. :lol: So, it's not the game disc I mean. Basically I've got my computer back from repairs and its suddenly really slow on games. I know its not a virus.....Maybe the people that repaired it messed with it? :eek: :o

Veppie
25th Oct 2008, 17:40
Sorry, I'm really confusing, but I don't get computers. :lol: So, it's not the game disc I mean. Basically I've got my computer back from repairs and its suddenly really slow on games. I know its not a virus.....Maybe the people that repaired it messed with it? :eek: :o

If it was working fine before the "repair" and not there after. Go complain. It's their problem now.

rg_001100
25th Oct 2008, 17:41
What happened with the old CD drive?
Was it broken + tossed out? Did the repairmen put in a new, different CD drive?

Is the CD drive good enough for games?

Does it say your comp's good enough to run the games (TR:L/TR:A) here: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
What does it say about the CD drive?

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 17:41
If it was working fine before the "repair" and not there after. Go complain. It's their problem now.

Or mine....because it's on warranty.
:o

What happened with the old CD drive?
Was it broken + tossed out? Did the repairmen put in a new, different CD drive?

Is the CD drive good enough for games?

Does it say your comp's good enough to run the games here: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
What does it say about the CD drive?

1. I knocked it out of place with my knee.
2. Tossed out. (technically) though not completley out)
3. I think so. Becuase it's a bit spastic. Like sometimes you open it and it closes itself again.
4. Yep. It was fine before.
5. Yep.
6. That its good enough to run. (BTW, I can only test Legend on there)

blahblahperson
25th Oct 2008, 17:44
try updating your graphics card driver
go to device manager, display adapter, then double click your graphics card
click update device driver software or something like that

andrew90
25th Oct 2008, 17:47
Or mine....because it's on warranty.
:o

1. I knocked it out of place with my knee.
2. Tossed out. (technically) though not completley out)
3. I think so. Becuase it's a bit spastic. Like sometimes you open it and it closes itself again.
4. Yep. It was fine before.
5. Yep.
6. That its good enough to run. (BTW, I can only test Legend on there)

get another CD drive, it's not very expensive, and you solve the problem lol

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 17:50
get another CD drive, it's not very expensive, and you solve the problem

[not trying to be rude]When I just got a new one that works? :scratch: :o [/not trying to be rude]

andrew90
25th Oct 2008, 17:57
[not trying to be rude]When I just got a new one that works? :scratch: :o [/not trying to be rude]

you're not, it's just a question!
i'm not sure what you mean. is it: if you get a new one will it work?
if so, it should work cause it's new. like i said, if you can't solve the problem take this option

Rexie
25th Oct 2008, 19:40
Are any other games (besides TR) are like that for you?

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 19:42
Are any other games (besides TR) are like that for you?

Well, I only have TR PC games. :o

Rexie
25th Oct 2008, 19:44
Try downloading the patch(es) for the games, and see if thaat'll fix the problem.

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 19:44
Try downloading the patch(es) for the games, and see if thaat'll fix the problem.

Well, I obvioously have the patches for AOD, and still the same problem. :(

rg_001100
25th Oct 2008, 19:48
Um, not sure if I should ask this, but have you tried running the games without background processes to see if it works?

(In the task manager [Ctrl + Alt + Delete], go to processes tab, sort by "User name", & Apart from "explorer.exe" and "taskmgr.exe", End the processes under your user name (NOT ANYTHING ELSE)...)

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 19:49
Um, not sure if I should ask this, but have you tried running the games without background processes to see if it works?

Background processes? You mean like other programs running at the same time? If so, then yeah. :o

rg_001100
25th Oct 2008, 20:01
Background processes? You mean like other programs running at the same time? If so, then yeah. :o

And other programs running that you don't know about :) ... I'll bet there are quite a few, it can speed up the game (slightly), but it would appear that it doesn't have so much of an impact on your problem.

Have you tried a disk-image emulator? (Like Daemon tools, or Alcohol 120%...)

LaraCroftRox
25th Oct 2008, 20:03
And other programs running that you don't know about :) ... I'll bet there are quite a few, it can speed up the game (slightly), but it would appear that it doesn't have so much of an impact on your problem.

Have you tried a disk-image emulator? (Like Daemon tools, or Alcohol 120%...)

Care to repeat in idiot language? :lol: :lmao: :rasp: :p

rg_001100
25th Oct 2008, 20:07
Disk-image emulator is like a fake CD drive on your computer. It copies the CD from the CD drive to your hard-drive, then pretends that there's another CD drive, and that CD is in the drive. (So you can run the CD/game without actually having the CD in the drive... I think so long as you actually own and have a copy of the CD there aren't issues with this.)

"Daemon Tools" and "Alcohol 120%" are just a couple of programs that will let you do this. (Copy/Piracy protection programs included in recent games don't like these programs, however... use your imagination and you'll be able to figure out why)

lara 4 ever
25th Oct 2008, 20:13
I think it's something to do with the CD Drive...
Try another game,CD or DVD to see how it plays.:scratch:

_Love2Raid_
25th Oct 2008, 20:57
Disk-image emulator is like a fake CD drive on your computer. It copies the CD from the CD drive to your hard-drive, then pretends that there's another CD drive, and that CD is in the drive. (So you can run the CD/game without actually having the CD in the drive... I think so long as you actually own and have a copy of the CD there aren't issues with this.)

"Daemon Tools" and "Alcohol 120%" are just a couple of programs that will let you do this. (Copy/Piracy protection programs included in recent games don't like these programs, however... use your imagination and you'll be able to figure out why)

I´ve got all TR´s on disc, but I play them (the oldies) without the disc with Daemon Tools, because I hate it when my laptop makes noise everytime the game loads and it actually runs quite faster. I don´t know if the programme is illegal but it works!

O yeah, one more thing. How about the speed of the drive, is it the same as the old one? I don't know that much about this stuff, sorry....:o