PDA

View Full Version : So far, Deus Ex 3 is a standalone game.

AaronJ
25th Oct 2008, 14:57
A prequel to the events of Deus Ex and a "new tale" with a date before DX1 thrown on it are two completely different things. Remember when that guy posted that it was in fact a standalone? I can only speak for myself (and I shat bricks), but some other people were pretty worried as well.

But a prequel is described as a literary, dramatic, or filmic work that prefigures a later work, as by portraying the same events in an early stage. Now, while it's possible to do this without portraying JC at a young age (I'm at peace with that), it's ridiculous to call this a prequel if it's something different. What Deus Ex 3 is looking like now is a standalone game trying to disguise itself as a prequel. It has to be about Deus Ex, not biotech firms and security guards.

Icky6
25th Oct 2008, 15:53
Very very good point, although where did you get the idea that it wasn't going to be related to the first game's story and characters? Or were you saying that just in case? Either way, good thought.

Lo Bruto
25th Oct 2008, 16:06
Wait until the game is released and play it. If it isn't related with DX1's plot in any way, well, then start complaining... go indie, start modding, make your own prequel.

WhatsHisFace
25th Oct 2008, 16:20
It doesn't bother me if they're just making a game in the Deus Ex universe, as long as it plays just like Deus Ex.

Which it doesn't, but still. I'm okay with the game not referencing JC Denton or setting up for Deus Ex 1. They'll have more freedom going forward as far as content goes.

AaronJ
25th Oct 2008, 16:37
Wait until the game is released and play it. If it isn't related with DX1's plot in any way, well, then start complaining... go indie, start modding, make your own prequel.

I have this weird obsession where I look at things before I buy them, to see if they're worth it. Crazy, no?

Very very good point, although where did you get the idea that it wasn't going to be related to the first game's story and characters? Or were you saying that just in case? Either way, good thought.

I'm saying that so far it seems as if nothing is related.

Mecranth
25th Oct 2008, 17:11
It will likely be a good game, directly related or not. I've set aside the fan of the first game within me and will just accept the third game as a very good choice-driven shooter + stealth.

Besides, the game will need players that are so unbiased, seeing as hopefuls regarding the concepts of the first game will bash it and give it very subjective reviews, even if it turns out a very good game indeed.

gamer0004
25th Oct 2008, 17:30
A prequel to the events of Deus Ex and a "new tale" with a date before DX1 thrown on it are two completely different things. Remember when that guy posted that it was in fact a standalone? I can only speak for myself (and I shat bricks), but some other people were pretty worried as well.

But a prequel is described as a literary, dramatic, or filmic work that prefigures a later work, as by portraying the same events in an early stage. Now, while it's possible to do this without portraying JC at a young age (I'm at peace with that), it's ridiculous to call this a prequel if it's something different. What Deus Ex 3 is looking like now is a standalone game trying to disguise itself as a prequel. It has to be about Deus Ex, not biotech firms and security guards.

Exactly what I think. And I liked to quote my signature again: "Apparently there are people who think the best way to make a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel."

Absentia
25th Oct 2008, 19:08
I have a few ideas of how elements of DX1 can be present, or at least proof that its the same universe.
JC was born in 2029, so DX3 is set 2 years before he's born. However, nano-augmentation was well within its testing stages. According to the DX Bible, before the successful implementation of nano-augmentation in Paul, they cloned him and let the clones grow to be children before trying to find ways to use the nanites on them. As most of the clones were unsuccesful, they left them alone, presumably to die, although apparently 'some lived'
It'd be really cool to uncover the abandoned clones from MJ-12s work, and possibly even talk to and help one of them. It would also be interesting to talk to Mr and Mrs Denton, even if theyre just minor NPCs. or have some kind of mission revolving around them. Also, Paul would be around 9, so there's always the possibility of running into him. Paul has always needed more character development, as he's supposed to be rebellious and "flamboyant", and Adam could probably vouch for young Paul's attitude, as he's seeking out for revenge himself.
Thing is, I just wonder what drives Adam to bother running after a bunch of black-ops soldiers. He would've had to have lost someone pretty special in the shooting, because I doubt he cares that much about the fact that they've stolen some piece of technology. Anyway, I digress.

WhatsHisFace
25th Oct 2008, 19:18
Paul has always needed more character development, as he's supposed to be rebellious and "flamboyant", and Adam could probably vouch for young Paul's attitude, as he's seeking out for revenge himself.

When you're first in Paul's apartment, you can hack his e-mail to see that he actually has a girlfriend. :thumbsup:

gamer0004
25th Oct 2008, 19:26
BTW, has anyone else noticed the enormous difference between the mod 2027, which is set within the DX universe in the year 2027 (for a trailer: http://www.planetdeusex.ru/2027/download/2027Trailer.avi or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9QVEV5PnE) created by hardcore DX fans (and which is, like TNM, highly anticipated but will not feature English voice acting, only Russian) and DX3, which is set in the year 2027 as well but created by Eidos Montreal?

Cugros
25th Oct 2008, 19:36
Prequel=A work that prefigures a later work, as by portraying the same events in an early stage.

But what are the main events of DX1? To me it wasn't mostly about the characters and their life, but about the future world being a harsh place with conspiracies after another. DX was a RPG, so I got the biggest role. There was not much space left for JC. And that is why IW JC irritated me: he was not like I made him in the first game. Though it was said he had gone crazy.

Prequel should not be about the original DX guys, but about the world of concerned era, and the events that will make DX3 world turn into the DX1 world. How does a modern reneissance full of prosperity and happines turn into an awful dystopic world full of death and poverty in just a few decades? And how does our world turn into the DX3 world?

But some actual reference to DX1 would be kind of sweet, exactly as depicted above. But if Paul (or some other later-on-in-series-essential NPC) was there, he should not be killed, for that would be very... strange, for he is later on very alive. Should he be invincible, like essential NPCs in DX1, should you be stripped of everything possibly harmful whan talking to him, like in DX:IW, or should his death cause game over, like in... MGS3? Because if DX1 NPCs will exist, I will without doubt try to kill them, just to see what happens.

But my point was, in prequel I think world development should outweight character preappearing (Strange word to me)

EDIT: About the trailer: Same year, a nice coincidence, or a tip of a hat from Eidos to russian HC-fans. There really wasn't much in the trailer, and on the other hand we really don't have much info on DX3, so it's hard to compare. But the obvious, and most important difference is, that the mod was done by fans, for fans, and DX3 will be done by Eidos, and for wide gaming audiences. DX3 will propably (without doubt) be much more different from DX1 than the mod, but at this point is is hard to say which is better.

Should Play mod. Does it at least have subtitles? Or do I really have to start studying really basic russian?

gamer0004
26th Oct 2008, 08:29
The game will be available in English, but - according to the latest news - will only feature Russian voice-acting, no English. So yeah, there will be English subtitles.

AaronJ
26th Oct 2008, 13:32
BTW, has anyone else noticed the enormous difference between the mod 2027, which is set within the DX universe in the year 2027 (for a trailer: http://www.planetdeusex.ru/2027/download/2027Trailer.avi or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9QVEV5PnE) created by hardcore DX fans (and which is, like TNM, highly anticipated but will not feature English voice acting, only Russian) and DX3, which is set in the year 2027 as well but created by Eidos Montreal?

Not really fair to Ded is it :/

lol, so far Project 2027 looks more promising anyway.

imported_van_HellSing
26th Oct 2008, 16:24
DX != soap opera. It's not a family saga. It's not The Denton Dynasty. It's not The Bold and the Augmented.

As Cugros said, it's more about the themes. Politics, conspiracy, sociology, philosophy, transhumanism... DX3 has plenty of room for all of those. Has it not occured to you that the corporate war of DX3 might be instituted by MJ2, for instance?

Also, it has been said that in relation to DX, the DX3 endings will make sense in the same way all of DX' endings made sense in IW. So, we're bound to have Adam play a key role in events which lead up to the state of the world in DX.

Mindmute
26th Oct 2008, 16:40
DX != soap opera. It's not a family saga. It's not The Denton Dynasty. It's not The Bold and the Augmented.

As Cugros said, it's more about the themes. Politics, conspiracy, sociology, philosophy, transhumanism...

:thumbsup:
Thank you.

One of the things I'm afraid is that they try too hard to connect DX3 and DX1. If everything falls too neatly into place the world seems stale, as if no one else's actions could shape the future.
I'd rather have a looser ending that does lay the set for some of the events in DX1 without actually making them happen directly.