PDA

View Full Version : Rene! Got an idea for you.

Bluey71
24th Oct 2008, 15:30
A live Dev Blog

Looking at the forum right now its full of threads full of worried fans. So, why not hold a live Dev blog on a Ventrilo server? Fans can log onto a ventrilo server and a irc channel. They would post their questions in the text channel and the devs would answer them on the voice server.

Of course, you and the dev team would have to weigh up the pros and the cons of the idea. But its fits right in with Eidos getting closer to its customers, doesnt it?

Jerion
24th Oct 2008, 15:33
Interesting idea- but a Vent server would require a lot more time (and patience!) from Rene. The devs are too busy drinking caffiene and making our game to bother answering our silly questions. :p

Still, there are plans for a dev blog soon. I'd like that to happen.

Cugros
24th Oct 2008, 15:48
Oh how I would love an extensive blog. Then I would finally have some actual info on how the game is progressing. I don't even ask for a possibility to pose questions, bu just an extensive blog on game development. I would read it night and day, and it would be my holy book. I would re-read it till the point of boredom, memorizing each phrase and then annoy my not-interested-in-DX friends with countless citations on information they will never actually need. But on the other hand it could marginally delay the completion, but that would have no actual effect on release date, i suppose...

Well, anyway, my point was, a good blog would be sweet.

Though now someone will propably inform me that in fact such blog exists, but there is no way I will ever be able to read it. That would be... no fun at all.

Jerion
24th Oct 2008, 16:50
No, that blog does not yet exist. However, there is no way for you to read it. :p

DXeXodus
24th Oct 2008, 18:00
There won't be a live blog as far as I know, but there is a blog in the works. We are not entirely sure as to when is coming online though. Maybe Rene will clarify for us :)

René
24th Oct 2008, 21:44
There won't be a live blog as far as I know, but there is a blog in the works. We are not entirely sure as to when is coming online though. Maybe Rene will clarify for us :)

The last time I put a date on it I was very wrong. All I can say now is that it is in development so hopefully soon.

dixieflatline
24th Oct 2008, 22:24
I think this is a really bad idea.

The dev's should focus on working on the game. If they spend a bunch of time live-blogging about every little detail on the game then that wouldn't help out the final project.

I swear this is the reason why it takes Blizzard like 5 years to make a game -- they release info in the first year then spend another year's of work dealing with PR and forum-flak.

Larington
24th Oct 2008, 23:09
Its a matter of getting the balance right. They'll probably do an article now and then commenting on a particular feature set or artwork or what have you, rather than a daily I woke up, did, this, that, then the other.

Of course, I'm being a tad bit presumptuous there, time will tell I guess.

Officer Half
25th Oct 2008, 05:29
I say the Devs should go Guild Wars on us and get themselves a Gaile. (Or A-Net used to have Gaile. She left.)

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, shame on you. You should be playing guild wars.

Now, Gaile was the players connection between the game and the company. Gaile introduced the new stuff while the games were in development. Gaile played/plays the game. Gaile maintained a page on the GuildWiki. She was part of the community.

Now, I have NO idea what her actual job was. But, thats one thing I really like about GW. They are dedicated to their fans. Especially for a MMO without monthly payments.

René
27th Oct 2008, 12:42
I remember Gaile. She retired a while ago, no? (I played Guild Wars too...)

That's the intention with me here on DX3. Of course things will be different since Guild Wars is an ever-evolving online game while DX3 is a single player game (and still in development).

In any case, feel free to PM me any time.

Officer Half
27th Oct 2008, 13:02
I remember Gaile. She retired a while ago, no? (I played Guild Wars too...)

That's the intention with me here on DX3. Of course things will be different since Guild Wars is an ever-evolving online game while DX3 is a single player game (and still in development).

In any case, feel free to PM me any time.

Retired or something like that. I don't think she was quite old enough to retire though. (Certainly didn't look that way anyway. :nut: )

Mr. Perfect
28th Oct 2008, 00:21
Definitely looking forward the the blog. Every time a magazine article or news snippit comes out about the game, it's usually sensational or taken out of context. We then end up with massive threads of angry fans and Rene doing damage control. An official announcement site would probably help eliminate that.

DXeXodus
28th Oct 2008, 03:43
^^ 100% agreed.

Jerion
28th Oct 2008, 13:58
Definitely looking forward the the blog. Every time a magazine article or news snippit comes out about the game, it's usually sensational or taken out of context. We then end up with massive threads of angry fans and Rene doing damage control. An official announcement site would probably help eliminate that.

Yep. ;)