PDA

View Full Version : Message for Mods

Azrepheal
23rd Oct 2008, 23:05
Firstly I would like to say that I fully support our mods for what has to be an incredibly difficult job (internet supervisor? Youre kidding right?) And I understand that they cannot be on here all the time (they arnt 'Mods from the machine', if youll forgive that excellent pun :p ) And Im also not just saying because they have the power to kick me out of this forum :D

However we have had an onslaught of duplicate threads recently, mainly from overreacting people coming here to start a new conversation about something already covered in depth elsewhere. And while you (Moderators) have been closing down a fair few of these, there have been about 3 or 4 Ive seen recently where its been Rene who has closed these down.

Yes, Rene. The inside guy. Our direct link, the only one can sift the wheat from the steaming pile of internet... well, you get the idea. Having Rene here to close threads is like asking James Bond to do some photocopying. Is there any way to allow new members only to reply to threads and not create them for a certain period of time, or not post for a couple of days or some such?

Then we can stop debating with fools and deleting 'old news' and get back to why we're really here - pestering Rene to give us more information about DX3:rasp:

Overtime
23rd Oct 2008, 23:12
Is there any way to allow new members only to reply to threads and not create them for a certain period of time, or not post for a couple of days or some such?

Then we can stop debating with fools and deleting 'old news' and get back to why we're really here - pestering Rene to give us more information about DX3:rasp:

Dunno, kinda elitist don't you think? Plus, how many posts would the new member have to post before he/she can make a thread? 10? [EDIT] 20? 50? Or would they have to wait a certain period of time? Im not someone that posts that often. It took me a while to get 10 posts! But doesnt mean I should have my thread making tools disabled. If anything, we should just make more mods. [END EDIT]

What about ppl who make an account so they can post news that has just come out? Wont help the forum grow imo.

K^2
23rd Oct 2008, 23:14
Mods don't have this kind of control. You need admin access to the board settings to make this happen.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Oct 2008, 23:16
Firstly I would like to say that I fully support our mods for what has to be an incredibly difficult job (internet supervisor? Youre kidding right?) And I understand that they cannot be on here all the time (they arnt 'Mods from the machine', if youll forgive that excellent pun :p ) And Im also not just saying because they have the power to kick me out of this forum :D

However we have had an onslaught of duplicate threads recently, mainly from overreacting people coming here to start a new conversation about something already covered in depth elsewhere. And while you (Moderators) have been closing down a fair few of these, there have been about 3 or 4 Ive seen recently where its been Rene who has closed these down.

Yes, Rene. The inside guy. Our direct link, the only one can sift the wheat from the steaming pile of internet... well, you get the idea. Having Rene here to close threads is like asking James Bond to do some photocopying. Is there any way to allow new members only to reply to threads and not create them for a certain period of time, or not post for a couple of days or some such?

Understand your concern but I think it is much easier for current mods to either merge or lock duplicate discussion threads... rather than creating a new rule you suggest, ie. new members cannot create new threads. The latter undermines a person's intelligence, imo. I mean, not all newbies are too lazy to read up/catch up on current discussion. :p

Perhaps appointing another moderator might be a good idea and the most simplest solution. What I think is they need a female presence... a girl-gamer with a natural instinct to keep the board extra tidy. ;)
Cue me..... lol. :cool: :D

Overtime
23rd Oct 2008, 23:25
Perhaps appointing another moderator might be a good idea and the most simplest solution. What I think is they need a female presence... a girl-gamer with a natural instinct to keep the board extra tidy. ;)
Cue me..... lol. :cool: :D

haha, very diplomatic! You have my vote of confidence which counts for...well nothing!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Oct 2008, 23:30
haha, very diplomatic! You have my vote of confidence which counts for...well nothing!

Oh, that counts for everything. Thank you. :)

Votes for a female moderator @ +1. :thumbsup:

Any more votes for me, lol? :p

K^2
23rd Oct 2008, 23:37
The only thing that worries me about a possibility of a female moderator is that we might end up with a mass thread deletion every month or so. But I suppose on average it would be about the same.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Oct 2008, 23:39
... But I suppose on average it would be about the same.

Hehe, so is this a Yes vote? :o
:p

René
23rd Oct 2008, 23:40
The only thing that worries me about a possibility of a female moderator is that we might end up with a mass thread deletion every month or so. But I suppose on average it would be about the same.

Funniest. Post. Ever. :lol:

As I wait for a co-worker or two to smack me upside the head for that comment, I'll just say that I see where you're coming from but I think it's manageable for now. Romeo in particular is away this week so that hasn't helped, but otherwise we're doing pretty good. We've also made a decision on who the next mod will be which will be announced after the contests close.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Oct 2008, 00:02
We've also made a decision on who the next mod will be which will be announced after the contests close.

Fair enough. :cool:

Still, this thread could be fun and offers some light-hearted discussion away from the usual serious talk about the game, so I'm glad you haven't locked it. ;) :)

I want to see how many members here (predominantly male, no doubt) would vote for a female moderator?
Call it an experiment in psychology, if you like. :whistle:

Okay, so who would like to see a female mod on this forum.... and who doesn't?
Please explain your reasons (... if you dare, ha!).

Jerion
24th Oct 2008, 00:04
Funniest. Post. Ever. :lol:

As I wait for a co-worker or two to smack me upside the head for that comment, I'll just say that I see where you're coming from but I think it's manageable for now. Romeo in particular is away this week so that hasn't helped, but otherwise we're doing pretty good. We've also made a decision on who the next mod will be which will be announced after the contests close.

When you get swatted, I'm just gonna watch. and laugh more. :lol:

Really? It would be nice to have another mod around. :)

Officer Half
24th Oct 2008, 00:20
Female mod? I'm all for female anything! ;)
:nut:

But, seriously? More the merrier. :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Oct 2008, 00:44
Yes, seriously... that's another vote for female moderators! Thank you. :D

+2 :thumbsup:

Just waiting for confirmation from K^2, to make it 3 votes. ;)

Jerion
24th Oct 2008, 00:47
you can make that +4 if K^2 votes. ;)

DXeXodus
24th Oct 2008, 03:54
Girl moderator FTW.

;) ;) ;)

@OP: We do our best on here. It is quite tough in a community that can be so passionate about their game that as soon as one thing is different from the original they throw a hissy fit.

Also, It is tough to merge every thread that should be merged and get all this right all of the time. We often rely on members pointing things like this out for us. If you send me a PM I can guarantee you that I will lock, delete, merge, etc anything if it is appropriate.

Thanks for the message by the way.

K^2
24th Oct 2008, 07:46
Just waiting for confirmation from K^2, to make it 3 votes. ;)
I'm currently in a superposition of voting for it an abstaining. You may count it as half a vote if you wish.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Oct 2008, 11:29
Excellent, half a vote is greatly appreciated. :)

+ 3.5 votes for a female mod. :thumbsup:

Incidentally, how many other female gamers are on this board? :scratch:

Larington
24th Oct 2008, 11:35
The answer is as usual:

Not enough.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Oct 2008, 12:30
^ Agreed. :cool:

"...not enough" = +1 vote :thumbsup: ?????

:D

imported_van_HellSing
24th Oct 2008, 12:33
K^2, I see what you did there, so the superposition should be reduced now.

Another vote for MrsP here :).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Oct 2008, 12:40
OMG, I'm more popular than I thought I was.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/coolXtina/SMILEYS/thanku.gif

Thank you! Thank you! :)

LOL, seriously... this restores my faith in Mankind. ;)

+4.5 votes :thumbsup:

DXeXodus
24th Oct 2008, 13:48
I said something of interest to you a while ago MrsP. Hmmm. Now what exactly was it again :scratch:

Oh well. Nevermind :)
I'm sure I will remember soon

Jerion
24th Oct 2008, 13:50
Oh, that was subtle. :p

Larington
24th Oct 2008, 13:55
Yeah go on, put that down as a +1 vote.

DXeXodus
24th Oct 2008, 14:05
Oh, that was subtle. :p

What?

Darn, it appears that someone hacked my account. I didn't say that. :p

It must of been K^2.... He is the clever one around here :thumbsup:

MaxxQ1
24th Oct 2008, 14:05
I said something of interest to you a while ago MrsP. Hmmm. Now what exactly was it again :scratch:

Oh well. Nevermind :)
I'm sure I will remember soon

Maybe YOU don't, but I do...hehehe

Jerion
24th Oct 2008, 14:29
What?

Darn, it appears that someone hacked my account. I didn't say that. :p

It must of been K^2.... He is the clever one around here :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, shifting blame onto poor K^2. That sounds perfectly reasonable. :D

Overtime
24th Oct 2008, 16:13
I'm currently in a superposition of voting for it an abstaining. You may count it as half a vote if you wish.

Interesting, but MrsP is about to make a measurement, therefore the wf must collapse. 0.5 of a vote is just not gonna cut it, it's either a 1 or a 0!

DXeXodus
24th Oct 2008, 18:02
But 0.5 rounds up to 1..... :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Oct 2008, 20:49
Yeah go on, put that down as a +1 vote.

Thank you. +5.5 votes :thumbsup:

Interesting, but MrsP is about to make a measurement, therefore the wf must collapse. 0.5 of a vote is just not gonna cut it, it's either a 1 or a 0!

Well, I thought it would be rude to complain... :o

Yes, but 0.5 is still a value that could be deemed negative or positive.
Therefore, it is only fair that we await K^2's decision as to whether to round it up or down. ;)

5.5 votes stands.... but it still looks good, lol. :cool: :D

Overtime
24th Oct 2008, 21:09

haha! It does but its not a valid solution! Now we could start assigning probabilities to 1 and 0, but that would be the absolute limit of the knowledge we can tease out of the system!

Anyhow, I think we've taken this QM analogy to its limits! It was fun whilst it lasted!