PDA

View Full Version : How Can I stop Thief 2 From Crashing?

Rapalaripper
23rd Oct 2008, 19:52
OK.. I have read a lot of threads, and i haven't seen any that sound like mine. Most say that they have problems when they install the game or when they are loading the game. In my case the installation went fine the loading goes fine as well, but in the first level when when you walk to the side door and enter the servant's chamber, it freezes. No response at all. CRTL-ALT-DEL doesn't work to get out of it nothing does. I have waited thinking it just needs to catch up, but nothing. I actually have to pull the power on my laptop. Just so I can restart. I tried turning the graphics to the lowest setting and it still happens. It calls for Direct X 7. I Have updated through direct X 9c. I tried going back to direct X 7, still nothing. I made sure all my 3D acceleration is working properly. Still it freezes. I am all out of ideas here guys! Really need some help. Would like to be able to play this game.

theBlackman
23rd Oct 2008, 22:29
DX is not your problem. What are your system specs? Is it a laptop? Are you running XP or Vista?

What CPU?
What Opsys?
What Video card?
Laptop or desktop?
Homemade or off the shelf?

The games will run with DX 9b with no problem

If you have XP look at the administrative tools (accessories) and check the EVENTS both in application and in system.

Double click any error at the time of the crash. It should list what the error was at that moment.

Rapalaripper
24th Oct 2008, 03:23
First off let me say thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

So I am not a wizard at finding i this info you were looking for but here it goes.

I am running a stock Laptop... Toshiba Satellite.
System: Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 Service Pack 3
Genuine Intel Centrino Duo: T2250 @ 1.73 GHz
99 GB of Ram

Display drivers: 945GM Express Chip set family

Also I went into the events log and it said nothing about Thief. I don't get an error message on the screen either when it crashes. It just freezes and is non-responsive.. Well there you go. See what you can make of that. I don't know if I have something out of date, or if there is a setting that is out of place. I'll wait for your reply. Thanks again..

Ripper

Peter_Smith
25th Oct 2008, 12:08
Did you read my sticky thread on how to make Thief run on a modern computer? Have you tried all the things mentioned there?

The graphics chipset sounds like on-board graphics. That could well be the problem. Thief 2 is not officially supported with odd on-board graphics. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

One possible fix if the graphics or graphics drivers don't work is to install the DDFIX patch, which makes the graphics interface to the video card compatible with recent versions of direct draw. There is a link to DDFIX information in my sticky thread.

Some really modern graphics cards don't work either, for the same reason - lack of backward compatibility. I have to use DDFIX to run Thief 2 with my Nvidia 8800 GT.