PDA

View Full Version : What about Aliens In DX3

DX3
20th Oct 2008, 13:36
I thought about posting this for a while now and I couldn't find anything specified about the Alien connection to all of this.
We can clearly see in previous DX games and in the PC Zone issue that they released some artwork what looks like an Alien Grey or whatever you call it.
Point is What is the connection with these Aliens and the story of DX, perhaps they were the starting point of our technology and augmentations I hope Eidos Montreal makes a bigger approach to this case.

I saw a video some time ago, when J.C Denton was being attakted and protected by Alien Grey's, could they be the maipulative force for J.C Denton loosing his own humanity and trying to turn everybody into a robot ?

rynn taylor
20th Oct 2008, 14:04
I thought about posting this for a while now and I couldn't find anything specified about the Alien connection to all of this.
... What is the connection with these Aliens and the story of DX

In DX1 the 'alien' grays are transgenic monkeys (see info below). Off the top of my head, I think that the gray experiments were run by Versalife.

What role the grays may or may not play in DX3 remains to be seen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAB 12 TESTING REGIMEN
SUBJECT: LIFEFORM MJID-9803HU8932 ("GRAY")
REGIMEN: SERIES 112-A

PROCEDURE: "GRAY" LIFEFORM APPEARS TO THRIVE IN AREAS OF HIGH RADIOACTIVITY
WHILE ALSO BEING ABLE TO STORE AND RELEASE RADIOACTIVITY IN A CONTROLLED MANNER
THROUGH AN ORGAN OF UNKNOWN OPERATION. FURTHER VIVISECTION IN COMBINATION WITH
REGIMEN SERIES 112 WILL BE REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE A COHESIVE UNDERSTANDING OF THIS
MECHANISM. SERIES 112-A SEEKS TO ESTABLISH BASELINE READINGS OF THE "GRAY"
LIFEFORM IN BOTH A RADIOACTIVE AND NON-RADIOACTIVE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE
PROCEEDING TO SERIES 112-B.

RESEARCHERS ACQUIRING BASELINE READINGS SHOULD USE CONTAINMENT AREA SECURITY
CONSOLE WITH LOGIN "LAB 12" AND PASSWORD "GRAYTEST" TO ENABLE OR DISABLE
RADIOACTIVE FIELD AS REQUIRED AND REPORT ALL FINDINGS TO DR. FRANK ROAN FOR
PROCESSING.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suzie,

Go! The cages are open... I don't know what happened... some kind of attack...
I got into the Aquinas Hub... Yes, the code works, and our monkey friends are
transgenics, I'm pretty sure...

I will be in the Reactor Lab. Don't come to find me... I will meet you on the
surface... when it's safe...

K^2
20th Oct 2008, 15:37
Yeah, there are no real aliens in Deus Ex so far, and I'd like it to stay that way.

ZylonBane
20th Oct 2008, 17:08
The question of whether the Grays are alien clones or genetically modified monkeys is never clearly answered. The information DX1 provides is inconsistent and conflicting.

Weren't the "blue fusion" reactors based on alien technology?

gamer0004
20th Oct 2008, 18:12
The question of whether the Grays are alien clones or genetically modified monkeys is never clearly answered. The information DX1 provides is inconsistent and conflicting.

Weren't the "blue fusion" reactors based on alien technology?

Grays: the terrestrial transgenics

Written by Chris the Cynic, Added to and Edited by walton simons

An explanation of the Gray's terrestrial nature.

The grays are not aliens. This is not a theory, this is a fact. There will be no, "Problems with this theory," and no alternate theories. There will be only proof.

For starters the developers said that the Grays are not aliens, as they created the grays they should know. Although where and when the developers said this is lost in the twisting nether of the internet as walton simons found out after spending hours doing Boolean searches on AltaVista.
Thankfully there is enough in-game evidence to prove the Gray's terrestrial nature.

Now then, in game evidence.

"From: MLundquist//VersaLife.783.48.90
To: MBates; ADonovan
Subject: Gray Project Schedule

I've attached a preliminary schedule for the Gray Project and want to get your input before we meet next week. Couple of issues I want to whiteboard are their ability to spontaneously generate radiation as a form of "attack", and their apparent resistance to a number of environmental conditions.

We're still trying to resurrect all the information from the old Dreamland data wells, but we have managed to extract a complete genetic sequence from the old bovine experiments that have given us two viable test subjects.
They've been isolated in a radioactive field downstairs for observation if you want to work up your informal impressions prior to the meeting.

BTW, we still haven't heard from Feng about the karkian eggs - we've got the Hong Kong police out looking for him now, but we'll need to push back our planned infant karkian development studies until we hear something.

Thanks,
Dr. Lundquist"

Note that the gray's entire genetic sequence was in the bovine manipulation project, although I don't think they are cows I have noticed that the bone structure of the feet does resemble hooves. It would make sense for them to be an early transgenic project. Also possible is that they were grown inside of cows, and this was the cattle mutilation that you hear so much about.

"From: LDeBeers//UpNet.873.484
To: BPage//UpNet.658.9044
Subject: RE: Bovine Manipulation

>I'd like to investigate the possibility of resurrecting
>the bovine manipulation project (MJID-9803HU8932), with
>an eye towards recreating the "Gray" lifeform - while
>the project was deemed a failure at the time, it _was_
>successful as a propaganda tactic in diverting attention
>away from actual Dreamland research. With recent advances
>in genetic science, the Gray lifeform could be engineered
>to protect MJ12 facilities while also serving as a useful
>bit of meme indirection.

An interesting idea, Bob, but I'm sure MJ12's research allocations can be put to more substantial use pursuing our human augmentation projects; however, I'll bring up the idea with Stanton and Morgan.

Lucius"

The grays were used in meme indirection. One example of how successful this is was the email on Smuggler's computer saying that there were no genetic tests via vaccinations (even though there were) because the US had already sold out to the grays.

Also of note is that the gray turned attention away from the real research in Area 51 (Dreamland) This means that the Area 51 projects were unrelated to aliens and benefited from the belief in aliens. Further if there was a cover up to hide the existence of aliens (Roswell) why would they use the aliens to keep people from looking at a different project and risk exposing the existence of aliens thus negating all the work that went into the first cover up?

"Suzie,

Go! The cages are open... I don't know what happened... some kind of attack... I got into the Aquinas Hub... Yes, the code works, and our monkey friends are transgenics, I'm pretty sure...

I will be in the Reactor Lab. Don't come to find me... I will meet you on the surface... when it's safe..."

If he was sure rather than pretty sure this would be all I needed to present.

I'd like to call attention to the inventory images. The gray image has patent numbers and a serial number. Not really anything that we didn't already know. The image is also labled "Alien Genome" which doesn't necessarily mean they are from another planet. There are many different definitions of the word alien (at least 5) only one means "from another planet".

"Alien:
Ecology. An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native."
-dictionary.reference.com

The above defintion can be used to describe grays as alien without labeling them as being native to another planet.

The Blue fusion device image I find just plain funny. The mechanism is under study, but that doesn't mean anything because they tell you that Area 51 is filled with all kinds of stuff that they have lost track of (the bovine manipulation project was dug up with difficulty, there are "doors with unknown codes.")

But what gets me is that the device is said to come from aliens.

"MiBSpecial We want to remove the keypads.
MechanicSpecial I wouldn't wanna do THAT. Didn't those things come from the aliens?
MiBSpecial The origin of the blue-fusion devices is classified.
MechanicSpecial Well, I ain't touching them. Talk to Mac."

This means that if the devices came from aliens the keypad was attached when they got it, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem removing the keypad as someone managed to put it in just fine.

The schematic even has it listed as ROS172-E, ROS as in Roswell. This is also where they say that the grays are cloned from. So apparently an alien spaceship crashed carrying antimatter reactors that can't handle full power, and blue fusion reactors with keypads attached that were the standard human type.

How likely is that?

But it gets better, see the grays are not clones, they are genetically engineered.

So let us say for a moment that the grays are aliens (even though they aren't) that means that the statement "They were cloned from cells gotten at Roswell" is a lie. (Actually it's "The grays are just clones -- they SAY from cells they got at Roswell".)

As that is the only thing supporting the belief that the grays are aliens, and we know it's a lie, the argument that they are alien's has no ingame, out of game, or any other form of evidence supporting it.

What does it say about it in the (Deus Ex) bible? Well it doesn't mention them spesifically, but it does give us a clue as to when MJ12 was created. MJ12 was created after the Bilderberg Group, after 1954. As the Illuminati's technology and communications leader. That's 5 years or more between the supposed Roswell crash and MJ12's founding. This goes against the alien theories stating that MJ12 was founded as a result of the Roswell crash, and had numorus operations starting in 1949.

Put simply the conspiracy theories are wrong.

Finally we have Deus Ex Invisible War info specifically calling them engineered transgenics, and not aliens.

SOURCE: http://theosek.sitesled.com/grays.html

DX3
20th Oct 2008, 19:45
hahaha thanks for the info guys, maybe because DX3 is going to be a prequal we will see more of the engineers, I hope so and a lot of other cool features as well, like playing the game non-lethal style as much as you can.;)
Thanks guys:)

Laokin
21st Oct 2008, 00:10
Grays: the terrestrial transgenics

Written by Chris the Cynic, Added to and Edited by walton simons

An explanation of the Gray's terrestrial nature.

The grays are not aliens. This is not a theory, this is a fact. There will be no, "Problems with this theory," and no alternate theories. There will be only proof.

For starters the developers said that the Grays are not aliens, as they created the grays they should know. Although where and when the developers said this is lost in the twisting nether of the internet as walton simons found out after spending hours doing Boolean searches on AltaVista.
Thankfully there is enough in-game evidence to prove the Gray's terrestrial nature.

Now then, in game evidence.

"From: MLundquist//VersaLife.783.48.90
To: MBates; ADonovan
Subject: Gray Project Schedule

I've attached a preliminary schedule for the Gray Project and want to get your input before we meet next week. Couple of issues I want to whiteboard are their ability to spontaneously generate radiation as a form of "attack", and their apparent resistance to a number of environmental conditions.

We're still trying to resurrect all the information from the old Dreamland data wells, but we have managed to extract a complete genetic sequence from the old bovine experiments that have given us two viable test subjects.
They've been isolated in a radioactive field downstairs for observation if you want to work up your informal impressions prior to the meeting.

BTW, we still haven't heard from Feng about the karkian eggs - we've got the Hong Kong police out looking for him now, but we'll need to push back our planned infant karkian development studies until we hear something.

Thanks,
Dr. Lundquist"

Note that the gray's entire genetic sequence was in the bovine manipulation project, although I don't think they are cows I have noticed that the bone structure of the feet does resemble hooves. It would make sense for them to be an early transgenic project. Also possible is that they were grown inside of cows, and this was the cattle mutilation that you hear so much about.

"From: LDeBeers//UpNet.873.484
To: BPage//UpNet.658.9044
Subject: RE: Bovine Manipulation

>I'd like to investigate the possibility of resurrecting
>the bovine manipulation project (MJID-9803HU8932), with
>an eye towards recreating the "Gray" lifeform - while
>the project was deemed a failure at the time, it _was_
>successful as a propaganda tactic in diverting attention
>away from actual Dreamland research. With recent advances
>in genetic science, the Gray lifeform could be engineered
>to protect MJ12 facilities while also serving as a useful
>bit of meme indirection.

An interesting idea, Bob, but I'm sure MJ12's research allocations can be put to more substantial use pursuing our human augmentation projects; however, I'll bring up the idea with Stanton and Morgan.

Lucius"

The grays were used in meme indirection. One example of how successful this is was the email on Smuggler's computer saying that there were no genetic tests via vaccinations (even though there were) because the US had already sold out to the grays.

Also of note is that the gray turned attention away from the real research in Area 51 (Dreamland) This means that the Area 51 projects were unrelated to aliens and benefited from the belief in aliens. Further if there was a cover up to hide the existence of aliens (Roswell) why would they use the aliens to keep people from looking at a different project and risk exposing the existence of aliens thus negating all the work that went into the first cover up?

"Suzie,

Go! The cages are open... I don't know what happened... some kind of attack... I got into the Aquinas Hub... Yes, the code works, and our monkey friends are transgenics, I'm pretty sure...

I will be in the Reactor Lab. Don't come to find me... I will meet you on the surface... when it's safe..."

If he was sure rather than pretty sure this would be all I needed to present.

I'd like to call attention to the inventory images. The gray image has patent numbers and a serial number. Not really anything that we didn't already know. The image is also labled "Alien Genome" which doesn't necessarily mean they are from another planet. There are many different definitions of the word alien (at least 5) only one means "from another planet".

"Alien:
Ecology. An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native."
-dictionary.reference.com

The above defintion can be used to describe grays as alien without labeling them as being native to another planet.

The Blue fusion device image I find just plain funny. The mechanism is under study, but that doesn't mean anything because they tell you that Area 51 is filled with all kinds of stuff that they have lost track of (the bovine manipulation project was dug up with difficulty, there are "doors with unknown codes.")

But what gets me is that the device is said to come from aliens.

"MiBSpecial We want to remove the keypads.
MechanicSpecial I wouldn't wanna do THAT. Didn't those things come from the aliens?
MiBSpecial The origin of the blue-fusion devices is classified.
MechanicSpecial Well, I ain't touching them. Talk to Mac."

This means that if the devices came from aliens the keypad was attached when they got it, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem removing the keypad as someone managed to put it in just fine.

The schematic even has it listed as ROS172-E, ROS as in Roswell. This is also where they say that the grays are cloned from. So apparently an alien spaceship crashed carrying antimatter reactors that can't handle full power, and blue fusion reactors with keypads attached that were the standard human type.

How likely is that?

But it gets better, see the grays are not clones, they are genetically engineered.

So let us say for a moment that the grays are aliens (even though they aren't) that means that the statement "They were cloned from cells gotten at Roswell" is a lie. (Actually it's "The grays are just clones -- they SAY from cells they got at Roswell".)

As that is the only thing supporting the belief that the grays are aliens, and we know it's a lie, the argument that they are alien's has no ingame, out of game, or any other form of evidence supporting it.

What does it say about it in the (Deus Ex) bible? Well it doesn't mention them spesifically, but it does give us a clue as to when MJ12 was created. MJ12 was created after the Bilderberg Group, after 1954. As the Illuminati's technology and communications leader. That's 5 years or more between the supposed Roswell crash and MJ12's founding. This goes against the alien theories stating that MJ12 was founded as a result of the Roswell crash, and had numorus operations starting in 1949.

Put simply the conspiracy theories are wrong.

Finally we have Deus Ex Invisible War info specifically calling them engineered transgenics, and not aliens.

SOURCE: http://theosek.sitesled.com/grays.html

While your 100% correct, this is how they were referenced, this doesn't mean they aren't aleins. Technically gray's shouldn't exist in DX 3, because VersaLife doesn't exist yet and they were a new idea in DX1.

In DX 3, you could find out that aliens did crash here, we developed tech from them -- and everything you know right now could be disinformation. In other words... they could have succeeded in brain washing people to believe we genetically engineered them while in all actuality they are aliens.... but we chose not to disclose. Remember, DX's foundation is conspiracy theories.... and what is bigger than Aliens?? We could find out that this is the meat of the DX3 story.

ZylonBane
21st Oct 2008, 00:23
Gee Laokin, thanks for quoting that ENTIRE FREAKING HUNDRED-PLUS LINE POST. I really needed to see it TWICE. Honestly!! :mad2:

Mindmute
21st Oct 2008, 00:27
In DX 3, you could find out that aliens did crash here, we developed tech from them -- and everything you know right now could be disinformation. In other words... they could have succeeded in brain washing people to believe we genetically engineered them while in all actuality they are aliens...

Wait, so the Illumanti brainwashed themselves AND MJ12 to believe that they did engineer the Grays?
Either DeBeers had some masterplan on that one or the concept is sort of silly.

I seriously do hope they stay as transgenics if they or an earlier part of the program is mentioned.

Unstoppable
21st Oct 2008, 01:35
This should interest ya :D.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27279684/

Skulgun
21st Oct 2008, 05:06
As gamer0004 pointed out, it's stated pretty blatantly during the Antarctica level of Invisible War that the Grays are in fact heavily genetically-modified humans, so unless the developers decide to throw all of IW out as non-canon (not entirely a bad idea IMO), then I very much doubt that that explanation is going to change in DX3.

On an a side note, the DX explanation for "Grays" (i.e. they being genetic experiments produced through false vaccinations of the general population) is actually exactly the same as one put forward in the late 90s seasons of The X-Files before the "Alien conspiracy" is completely proven, so DX wasn't exactly being original in that regard.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2008, 16:03
I can take them or leave them as far as DX3 goes. :)

Accuse me of "specism" (Wait!... okay, it could just be obsession? :o ), if you like... but I just want the Omar to return. :rasp:
(But as normal Russian scientists, that is). ;)

Bluey71
21st Oct 2008, 16:25
I can take them or leave them as far as DX3 goes. :)

Accuse me of "specism" (Wait!... okay, it could just be obsession? :o ), if you like... but I just want the Omar to return. :rasp:
(But as normal Russian scientists, that is). ;)

MRS P, I am really quite worried about you. What is it about the Omar that floats your boat so much?:whistle:

foxberg
21st Oct 2008, 16:31
While your 100% correct, this is how they were referenced, this doesn't mean they aren't aleins. Technically gray's shouldn't exist in DX 3, because VersaLife doesn't exist yet and they were a new idea in DX1.

In DX 3, you could find out that aliens did crash here, we developed tech from them -- and everything you know right now could be disinformation. In other words... they could have succeeded in brain washing people to believe we genetically engineered them while in all actuality they are aliens.... but we chose not to disclose. Remember, DX's foundation is conspiracy theories.... and what is bigger than Aliens?? We could find out that this is the meat of the DX3 story.

I like this idea. They could've gotten some dead alien at the crash site and then use bovine cells, alien cells plus a human specimen to genetically engineer a "new", sort of terrestrial alien.

This should interest ya :D.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27279684/

Nice. By the way, speaking of the extraterrestrial origins of life on Earth, the best set of books written about this subjuct, in my mind, are six books of Earth Chronicles by Zecharia Sitchin.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Oct 2008, 13:59
MRS P, I am really quite worried about you. What is it about the Omar that floats your boat so much?:whistle:

They are the 'underdog'... the 'misunderstood' and even the 'underappreciated'.
Often overlooked just because of the way they look. ;) Instantly disliked... but for no real reason.
Yeah, sorry... I'm a curious soul. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and in this case it is the Omar. :p

Their past/history has yet to be fully explored/explained in a DX game.... as is the matter of their future.
Which is why I'm hoping DX3 will provide some of the answers for their past and DX4 (which I hope will happen) will no doubt address their future. :cool:

gamer0004
22nd Oct 2008, 16:41
I didn't like them because they wre supposed to be good fighters, but they weren't, because of what they did to Leo (I actually kind of like Leo) and because their prices were too high... :rasp:

Larington
22nd Oct 2008, 16:56
I do wonder if the Omar were painted a bit too evil in DX:IW, it certainly made them less interesting as an organisation/character.

foxberg
22nd Oct 2008, 17:26
I think I got tired of paying their priced and whacked one or two eventually. They didn't like me after that for a long time.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Oct 2008, 23:44
I didn't like them because they wre supposed to be good fighters, but they weren't, because of what they did to Leo (I actually kind of like Leo) and because their prices were too high... :rasp:
Was it said that they were supposed to be good fighters? I can't remember that. :scratch:
Anyway, if you don't have a natural instinct for aggression, then it would make sense that you are not going to be good at fighting.
Personally, that's an endearing quality of theirs that attracts me in the first place, hehe. Surely, you can achieve objectives without having to hurt people.
Also, if you get aggressive with them, they don't murder you on the spot. They just reduce your discount, lol.

They didn't do anything to Leo in the way you think. I mean, he was given the choice and he clearly chose. There is a hint that he is somewhat egged-on by the Omar but Leo was very indecisive about everything at the time (only out for himself) and the Omar obviously just got tired of it. At no point in the game is there any proof, or definite suggestion, that he was actually forced to undergo modification against his free will. At the end of the game, after modification, Leo says something like "I am watching from a spy satellite, Alex. I am an Omar now. It is good...."

LOL @ their prices being too high. At least you didn't resort to violence... see last quote. :)

I do wonder if the Omar were painted a bit too evil in DX:IW, it certainly made them less interesting as an organisation/character.
Did the game actually paint them as too evil? I don't think so.. can't recall this myself.
Perhaps only the individual player can deem them as evil, based upon reasons I don't really know... an instant dislike for their appearance, perhaps? I just can't see how they were "evil"; not in any logical or justified way. If you weigh up the murderous/secretive/questionable antics of the other groups/factions and their candy-coated lies and promises.. the Omar were the only group that were unpretentious and open about their intentions.

I think I got tired of paying their priced and whacked one or two eventually. They didn't like me after that for a long time.
Poor Omar! Shameful human beings! :(
Too greedy to pay a fair price for a very useful item. Prefering instead to dishonestly obtain merchandise by use of violent means.
Yeah, I wouldn't like you either, hehe. :rasp:

All this talk of the grays in interesting though as the Omar were studying them.
Remember, one of they tasks they offer you is to obtain a sample of gray tissue from the basement of Club Vox.

Anyway, just for fun... a little game of "Spot The Similarities" ;)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/omar2-4.jpg http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/gray.jpg
:D

Oh yeah, if I ever see proof/find out that the Omar are not as forward-thinking and intentionally good as I think they are... I'm going to join the Grays instead.
If weird means wonderful...I can handle it. :p

"That Hateful Ones threaten all that we have worked and waited for."
"We don't understand this violence toward her own Kind."

gamer0004
23rd Oct 2008, 06:44
You should play IW again... Yes, they did try to force Leo to get augs. If he didn't they'd kill him.
And yes, they were supposed to be great fighters, that was what their augmentations were all about.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Oct 2008, 06:50
You should play IW again... Yes, they did try to force Leo to get augs. If he didn't they'd kill him.
And yes, they were supposed to be great fighters, that was what their augmentations were all about.

I've played it 3 times, lol. :p

They might have "suggested" force to help him hurry and make his mind up but there isn't any evidence that they forced any augs on him. If I am wrong, please can you link to a walkthrough or something. Maybe my memory is worse than I thought, lol. :eek:

No, that is incorrect. The modifications were to improve their chances of general survival - not just on this earth but other planets too. ;)

Mindmute
23rd Oct 2008, 07:22
No, that is incorrect. The modifications were to improve their chances of general survival - not just on this earth but other planets too. ;)

That was my impression aswell, they seemed more inclined towards survival than combat every single time they mentioned any details about themselves.

They were incredibly adaptable and because of that could hold their own in a fight, as Leo said, but that wasn't the purpose for their modification.

DXeXodus
23rd Oct 2008, 07:29
I was also under the impression that the Omar's modifications were more targeted at self-preservation and long term survival than combat.

I still think they look stupid. :D

Jerion
23rd Oct 2008, 07:31
I was also under the impression that the Omar's modifications were more targeted at self-preservation and long term survival than combat.

+1 :thumbsup:

DXeXodus
23rd Oct 2008, 07:37
True. But being able to survive the elements and nuclear fallout may not mean that you can take out a specialized combatant in a fight.

Jerion
23rd Oct 2008, 07:37
True. But being able to survive the elements and nuclear fallout may not mean that you can take out a specialized combatant in a fight.

Dude, the last time I checked, a twinkie could be a lethal weapon. :D

DXeXodus
23rd Oct 2008, 07:40
Ah yes, but it depends how you use it..... :D

Jerion
23rd Oct 2008, 07:41
Ah yes, but it depends how you use it..... :D

Freeze it, then use it like that guy from Shoot 'Em Up ( I forget his name) used the carrot.

Link to a vid of what I"m talking about. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zbCeyYTys) It's a little gory.

DXeXodus
23rd Oct 2008, 07:49
I remember the scene you are talking about. A bit of a difference between edible goods being used as weapons and modifying oneself for survival though :)

[EDIT] Oh, and the name you are looking for is Clive Owen I believe

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Oct 2008, 08:08
That was my impression aswell, they seemed more inclined towards survival than combat every single time they mentioned any details about themselves.

They were incredibly adaptable and because of that could hold their own in a fight, as Leo said, but that wasn't the purpose for their modification.

Absolutely, thank you. :) See what I mean about them being misunderstood, hehe. :scratch:

Quote: "Though many individuals outside the group are augmented in the game, the Omar are the only post-Collapse group to openly espouse "Posthumanism;" their ultimate goal is to become capable of surviving in any environment, no matter how harsh, so that they may eventually inherit the Earth through natural selection."

Omar modifications are definitely geared toward "survival", not combat. They were constantly in search of new technologies to improve their existing cybernetic modifications. Modifications included the gas mask-like respiratory system for breathing in many types of atmosphere and the exoskeleton suit for surviving a range of extreme temperatures (from sub-zero arctic climates to harsh desert heat). The suit was also fire-proof and resistant to most forms of radiation.
Also, don't forget at the end of the game Leo hints that Omar research/modifications goes way beyond what has been seen, so that suggests there was much more to them than the player ever got to find out in DX:IW.

Incidentally, back to the grays. They were created by Versalife, right?
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but weren't the Omar also created by VersaLife in what was "then" Russia.
When I say 'created', I mean that the Russian scientists who worked there first developed their modifications at Versalife. Initially, in an attempt to address the massive famine problems after the great Collapse.

Hehe, I guess they didn't have a lot of choice when it came to the way they look. :D
Still, maybe it makes more sense to look stupid rather than to be stupid? I mean, the earth is dead and polluted. You can either decide to look stupid and ultimately survive... or be stupid and die.
As the Omar would say: "The choice is yours...." ;)

Morgan_Everett
23rd Oct 2008, 17:24
In IW nobody is a good fighter.

Jerion
23rd Oct 2008, 17:34
I remember the scene you are talking about. A bit of a difference between edible goods being used as weapons and modifying oneself for survival though :)

[EDIT] Oh, and the name you are looking for is Clive Owen I believe

Yeah, Clive Owen. Thanks. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Oct 2008, 22:44
In IW nobody is a good fighter.

LOL, true. :D

Jerion
23rd Oct 2008, 22:46
Yeah. :P

Tstorm
28th Oct 2008, 19:33

Long post :eek: :eek: :nut: :nut:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Oct 2008, 00:38
^
Observant. :)

I'm mischievous, so can't help but ask... did you read it all? :p ;)

Jerion
29th Oct 2008, 02:00
^
Observant. :)

I'm mischievous, so can't help but ask... did you read it all? :p ;)

I did. Very interesting. :p

DXeXodus
29th Oct 2008, 03:44
Long post :eek: :eek: :nut: :nut:

So, you quoted the whole post just so you could say "Long post"?

Can I respectfully ask, why?

gamer0004
29th Oct 2008, 15:49

Exactly. Could people stop quoting the whole text? :P

And once again: I don't want ANY credit for it, it is not a long post, it is just a long good article written by somebody else.

hem dazon 90
19th Dec 2008, 04:54
the greys were cute i hope they come back

(first post)

SemiAnonymous
19th Dec 2008, 07:13
Just a thought, a while ago I wrote about Aug-Zombies, and there was a long argument about them, basically culminating in the poor use of name. However, I just thought of another way for them to show up.

DX3 takes place during a time period where (presumably) there is a large amount of scientific experimentation. Why can't we have early versions of the Greys? Genetically modified humans, or what have you, that would be basically deranged, damaged, incomplete...whatever you want to call them. Mainly showing up either dead on a disection table or in a containment area, but fighting them would be like fighting a maddened human that can shoot radiation.

Perhaps I'm just simply too hopeful for this time period to give us brain damaged maniacal science experiments, but I think a grey-human that bears major resemblance to both, both in appearance and in action, would be an interesting enemy.

I suppose I'll expand on this tomorrow, typing at night is not a generally good idea.

NK007
19th Dec 2008, 13:17
I don't want to fight them unless I make them mad. They have a very interesting culture (cyber Borscht!), why make them an instant enemy?!

InGroove2
19th Dec 2008, 19:19
anyone seen the episode of xfiles 731??? i'd like to run into some people who are modified genetically who are good guys, good people who got picked...

Radox Redux
19th Dec 2008, 20:24
We could well see the grays return in DX3. In Invisible War it says that the Roswell Conspiracy was just a cover for the Illuminati genetically creating the Grays as 'super-soldiers', so they've existed since at least 1947.

Also, good catch to whomever noticed the similarities between the Grays and the Omar. It seems they've been adapting some of the Grays' durability for their own use. Personally, I always viewed the Omar as a bad thing. Forcing their conversion on other people, like some sort of virus. As for their motives? I don't really think they have any specific motives, they're simply militant augmentors; modifying themselves whenever they see something that can be improved.

InGroove2
19th Dec 2008, 22:11
[QUOTE=Radox Redux;916904]We could well see the grays return in DX3. In Invisible War it says that the Roswell Conspiracy was just a cover for the Illuminati genetically creating the Grays as 'super-soldiers', so they've existed since at least 1947.
QUOTE]

again.. anyone an x files fan here!!??! sheesh. it's all there. as far as i'm concerned DX did the same thing xfiles did. took all good conspiracy theories and fictionalized them. which rules.

super soldiers, yes. grays? yes. ambiguity as to whether greys are alien or part alien or not? yes.

the idea is for it all to remain ambiguous. if you answer too many questions, the mystery is gone (like IW tried to do answer the grey question etc...) and the drama falls flat.

i personally love the alien idea as a subject. it never should be answered if they exist or not. there should be characters who believe it and some who dont and some who think they're that and this etc etc...

Radox Redux
20th Dec 2008, 01:21
[QUOTE=Radox Redux;916904]We could well see the grays return in DX3. In Invisible War it says that the Roswell Conspiracy was just a cover for the Illuminati genetically creating the Grays as 'super-soldiers', so they've existed since at least 1947.
QUOTE]

again.. anyone an x files fan here!!??! sheesh. it's all there. as far as i'm concerned DX did the same thing xfiles did. took all good conspiracy theories and fictionalized them. which rules.

super soldiers, yes. grays? yes. ambiguity as to whether greys are alien or part alien or not? yes.

the idea is for it all to remain ambiguous. if you answer too many questions, the mystery is gone (like IW tried to do answer the grey question etc...) and the drama falls flat.

i personally love the alien idea as a subject. it never should be answered if they exist or not. there should be characters who believe it and some who dont and some who think they're that and this etc etc...

People have been doing it for well before the X-files. (and with much better taste I might add.) but yeah, I agree with you with the ambigiouity thing. It felt as though that's what Deus Ex was purposely going for.... which makes it all the more of a shame that IW went ahead and told you everything, whether you wanted to know it or not. :P

InGroove2
20th Dec 2008, 02:38
[QUOTE=InGroove2;916960]

People have been doing it for well before the X-files. (and with much better taste I might add.) but yeah, I agree with you with the ambigiouity thing. It felt as though that's what Deus Ex was purposely going for.... which makes it all the more of a shame that IW went ahead and told you everything, whether you wanted to know it or not. :P

OOOHHH snap!!! did you just open up a debate on the quality of Xfiles????

dangerous. very dangerous. :D

Radox Redux
20th Dec 2008, 02:43
[QUOTE=Radox Redux;917034]

OOOHHH snap!!! did you just open up a debate on the quality of Xfiles????

dangerous. very dangerous. :D

No, not quality. Just taste. Hell, I'm a Doctor Who fan, and that has no taste whatsoever, and it's often about a subtle with it's concepts as a train collision. Doesn't stop me loving it though. :rolleyes:

InGroove2
20th Dec 2008, 02:47
[QUOTE=InGroove2;917078]

No, not quality. Just taste. Hell, I'm a Doctor Who fan, and that has no taste whatsoever, and it's often about a subtle with it's concepts as a train collision. Doesn't stop me loving it though. :rolleyes:

oh oh. great. i love the DR. too.

taste? good taste is mostly a waste of time. most of the reason i love Xfiles is because of it's blatant disregard for what would traditionally be called taste...

in other words... DX should keep some of that sweet b movie feel.. keep it serious slightly over top in how seriously it takes itself.

Necros
20th Dec 2008, 08:37

Can't you edit posts like that? I don't think it would offend the poster. :scratch:

Jerion
20th Dec 2008, 08:40
Yeah, but he'd rather merge threads all day. :rasp:

I have no such distractions.