PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3: Your age?

El_Bel
14th Oct 2008, 17:36
Just curious, how old are you? Should Eidos have in mind making the game for teens or for more mature people?
And will you buy the game?(I will use this data in another thread later)

JCD
14th Oct 2008, 17:51
It is more than certain that I am going to buy Deus Ex 3. I strongly desire to see it's sales really high, something that imo is not impossible, because of the lack of a "strong" multiplayer - see what Half-Life 2 and Bioshock have done :cool:

Mecranth
14th Oct 2008, 17:55
Oh, my mistake. The thread title is rather misleading. I thought this poll was what we thought should be the target ages for the game.

10-20 with a definite Yes on the buy.

And why is Pirating an option? That will definitely raise some eyebrows over at EM.

imported_van_HellSing
14th Oct 2008, 18:00
I see what you did there, El_Bel, but it's not going to work.

Noticed how the Tomb Raider games sell better than DX, yet DX is far higher on the "favourite Eidos franchise" poll? That's because Tomb Raider appeals to a lot of casual gamers who will play the game and then forget about it, never even visiting any forums for it. DX on the other hand has a comparatively small, yet very loyal hardcore fanbase - us, and it's only us who are going to vote in this poll. Eidos needs to appeal to a lot more people than just us, and we aren't even a close approximation of what the DX3 target might look like.

ZylonBane
14th Oct 2008, 18:03
10-20 with a definite Yes on the buy.

You want a Deus Ex game that can be enjoyed by TEN-YEAR-OLDS?

:mad2:

Mecranth
14th Oct 2008, 18:04
You want a Deus Ex game that can be enjoyed by TEN-YEAR-OLDS?

:mad2:

If there was an 18 option, I would have chosen that. Unfortunately, I had to choose 10-20. Bah.

El_Bel
14th Oct 2008, 18:26
I see what you did there, El_Bel, but it's not going to work.

Noticed how the Tomb Raider games sell better than DX, yet DX is far higher on the "favourite Eidos franchise" poll? That's because Tomb Raider appeals to a lot of casual gamers who will play the game and then forget about it, never even visiting any forums for it. DX on the other hand has a comparatively small, yet very loyal hardcore fanbase - us, and it's only us who are going to vote in this poll. Eidos needs to appeal to a lot more people than just us, and we aren't even a close approximation of what the DX3 target might look like.

I am not quite sure about that. I would like to see how many copies DX sold. I am not sure Tomb Rider sells much more than us.

ZylonBane I was 11 when i first played the first DX and i fully appreciated it. :cool:

imported_van_HellSing
14th Oct 2008, 18:33
Oh come on. Ask 10 random persons in a street about Lara Croft. Now ask them about JC.

Kaze103
14th Oct 2008, 18:46
11 -17
18 -24
25 -39
40+

would have been better ages.

<Is 18 + will buy

Icarus AI
14th Oct 2008, 18:47
I think 10-20 category should be broken down to several. There is a huge difference between a 10 year old and 20 year old.

JCD
14th Oct 2008, 18:50
Oh come on. Ask 10 random persons in a street about Lara Croft. Now ask them about JC.
Unfair - It's the -omg- boob factor inside :lol: :lol:

I think you are right though, the popular games are not the ones that require so much "devotion" from their players. Most PC Gamers just want to satisfy their main urges like greed (Diablo/WoW-likes), or just have fun in a fantasy world (easy FPS games, Platform games, Arcade Racing games, and so on).

That is why true RPG/Strategy/Realistic Simulator games don't get such praise from the public - but they get it from the Press.

Kinda like what happens with the movies - a quality film does nothing financially, compared with a mindless blockbuster. But we all agree that the blockbuster is fun ;)

ZylonBane
14th Oct 2008, 18:59
ZylonBane I was 11 when i first played the first DX and i fully appreciated it. :cool:
No, you didn't. You may have enjoyed it, but unless you were a child prodigy, there was no way that you even noticed all the themes and subtext present in the game.

Mecranth
14th Oct 2008, 19:30
No, you didn't. You may have enjoyed it, but unless you were a child prodigy, there was no way that you even noticed all the themes and subtext present in the game.

Indeed. While I absolutely loved the game when I played it at age twelve, it was at age seventeen that I started to finally figure out what the hell was going on. :scratch:

Larington
14th Oct 2008, 19:38
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mfv_hOFT1S4

Not sure what his source is, but apparently the average age of gamer is now around 40 (EDIT-Actually, 30).

MaxxQ1
14th Oct 2008, 19:45
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mfv_hOFT1S4

Not sure what his source is, but apparently the average age of gamer is now around 40.

Well....I'm 44.

So, does that make me above average?:lol:

Larington
14th Oct 2008, 20:51
Went back to the vid to check my facts, average age of gamer is 30, average age of game buyer 37.

Its always nice to be above average. :cool:

Papy
14th Oct 2008, 21:54
The ESA has a nice PDF with player statistics for 2008. Average age is now 35 and it goes up year after year. Under 18 is now 25%, 18-49 is 49% and 50 and over is 26%.

As for Deus Ex 3, if we're stuck with things like auto-healing, no shadows and "cool" 3rd person view of our character, then I might buy it from a bargain bin in a few years. If there are options to disable those, meaning there is a "Deus Ex gameplay mode", then I will probably buy it the first day. I'm 39.

El_Bel
14th Oct 2008, 21:56
Went back to the vid to check my facts, average age of gamer is 30, average age of game buyer 37.

Its always nice to be above average. :cool:

Thats what i was looking for!!! What are your sources?

rynn taylor
14th Oct 2008, 22:14
I think 10-20 category should be broken down to several. There is a huge difference between a 10 year old and 20 year old.

I agree; not just because of maturity but there is a greater chance that an 18 - 20 year old is likely to have more disposable income than a 10 year old (at least in my day they did - perhaps I am showing my age). I know that just because a person has the money to buy a game does not mean that they won't pirate it, but I think that it is more likely that a person will buy a game - perhaps with a view to supporting the developers - if they like the game and can afford it.

That said, a ten year old asking/bugging/nagging mummy or daddy sometimes has an amazing amount of buying power.

AsukaoYl
15th Oct 2008, 00:02
20-30 I will buy the game 100%

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 00:07
I played DX first when I was 12, but it wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd time through that I started really understanding it. Even for a kid that didn't quite figure out everything the first times through, I still enjoyed it immensely. (I gotta thank my brother for letting me use his machine back then- sometimes a 7 year age gap is a good thing). Now, I still play through it on Hard (or Realistic if I have a lot of time to kill) and the experience gets a little bit richer every time.

I'll be 19, or maybe 20 when DX3 is released, depending on how far away the release date is. I plan to buy the game and enjoy it for years.

K^2
15th Oct 2008, 01:07
The above poll clearly demonstrates that software pirates die really young.

DXeXodus
15th Oct 2008, 03:59
20-30. Will buy the game 100%. Will per-order it if I have to. Will get the collectors edition if there is one. Heck, I will probably buy a normal version too in case the other one breaks. I'm a big fan OK, thats why I'm here :)

Noticed how the Tomb Raider games sell better than DX, yet DX is far higher on the "favourite Eidos franchise" poll? That's because.....

I made a thread telling everyone to vote for Deus Ex and raise it from 5th place with under 50 votes to first place overall :D :D

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 06:45
Are we winning the poll? seriously? :D

DXeXodus
15th Oct 2008, 07:36
Yes! And by quite a margin at that: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74288&page=6

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 07:38
Oh my. GO US! :D

gh0s7
15th Oct 2008, 13:28
"20-30 I will buy the game 100%". I'll buy a Collector's Edition, if available. :D

Algarys
15th Oct 2008, 14:33
I played DX first when I was 12, but it wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd time through that I started really understanding it. Even for a kid that didn't quite figure out everything the first times through, I still enjoyed it immensely. (I gotta thank my brother for letting me use his machine back then- sometimes a 7 year age gap is a good thing). Now, I still play through it on Hard (or Realistic if I have a lot of time to kill) and the experience gets a little bit richer every time.

Exactly the same :) I was 11 when I urged my parent to buy Deus Ex. On the first time I played it I was quite lost (moreover English isn’t my native language), and I remember that the think that most marked me was letting Paul and learning after that he had died (I didn’t knew we were able to save him until the sixth time I played). The more we played, the more we could understand what were the real issues.
I'll be 19 when it'll comes out, and I’m planning on buying it.