PDA

View Full Version : Blood Omen sound found in Weird Al video

Linikratyo
14th Oct 2008, 16:23
I just found the dying sound from blood omen in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDckbqhpW8)

go to 2:24

Yautjatraker/Albatraous
15th Oct 2008, 12:58
I don't remember the sound that well, but it could be one of those widespread sounds that anyone can use. Often when they show pigs in film they use the same squeal noise (same as Warcraft 2 when you click on the farm I think).

Linikratyo
15th Oct 2008, 16:56
I thought that you heard a Defiance fall into the deepness sound at 2:13 and a return to castle wolfenstein sound after that...........

The_Hylden
15th Oct 2008, 20:12
Could be. Put a ton of reverb on it and yeah. I'd have to listen to the Defiance one again. One scream a bit after sounds like Kain's death a lot from BO1, but I am pretty positive that was Simon Templeman's actual voice, lol.

Linikratyo
15th Oct 2008, 21:18
you also here the sound when you sacrifice someone else on the Spirit Forge or kill them with a very nasty spell.... :D

blincoln
28th Oct 2008, 15:00
That single is from 1993, which predates all of the Kain games.

Linikratyo
28th Oct 2008, 19:30
That single is from 1993, which predates all of the Kain games.

ok... that makes it clear then: BO stole that sound from Weird Al!!! :D

The_Hylden
28th Oct 2008, 20:12
It's entirely possible that both Weird Al and Silicon Knights/Crystal Dynamics borrowed sounds from the same sound library CDs. Not only do games do it, but certainly movies do it all of the time. The most infamous one is the scream in Star Wars that then was used in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and then about a bagilion other movies. I also believe that scream did not originate with Star Wars and was used for ages before in other movies as well.

It's much easier (saves time) and cost-efficient to search a library of pre-recorded sounds to enrich something than to use a sound stage and record your own. You'd have to pay the folley artist(s) and the license the stage for the time needed, etc. Sound Libraries, lots of them, are free, or copies can be bought at a much more cost-effective rate.

I've also heard screams and practical sounds in movies of the past that have been used in movies now and games as well. It's fun to hear the opening of a door that I've heard in one of my favorite movies for year in a game, or vice/versa. So, anyway, one predating the other means little.

Matter of fact, most, if not all, of the sounds heard in Ozar Midrashim's background and stuff are from either other songs, movies, and sound libraries. Mixing artists in music have been doing this for ages.

FearGhoul
28th Oct 2008, 23:53
That scream in Star Wars is orginally from some 1950's movie. I think that it was first brought back in a Star Wars move (not sure if it was a decision by George Lucas or not), and since then it's been used a lot. I actually read quite a bit about it a few months ago, but I can't remember what that scream is called or what movie it's from.

Yautjatraker/Albatraous
29th Oct 2008, 12:56
What scream in star wars are you guys talking about?

The_Hylden
30th Oct 2008, 02:25
Yay, Google!

lol, read this article on it. It's friggin' facinating!

http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm/

There are links in the text for the various versions of the "Wilhelm Scream."