PDA

View Full Version : Trench Coat?

Dead-Eye
14th Oct 2008, 00:42
Should Adem Jensen have a Trench Coat? We haven't seen if he has one or not yet so he could have one. I seem to recall that about 3/17 of the world had Trench Coats in Deus Ex (source (http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor/tutorials/customnpc/customnpc.htm))

If he has a Tench Coat this might make it that every Deus Ex game will feature a hero in a Trench Coat forever, but that might not be a bad thing.

3nails4you
14th Oct 2008, 00:51
Alex didn't have a trench coat...

Dead-Eye
14th Oct 2008, 00:54
Dose?

Dose what?

DX:IW is something that should be forgotten forever.

ZylonBane
14th Oct 2008, 00:58
Considering that goatee makes him look like a total douche, I'm thinking something more in a polo shirt with a popped collar.

3nails4you
14th Oct 2008, 01:09
Dose what?

Dose what what?

CarloGervasi
14th Oct 2008, 01:32
Yeah. It makes sense for people like Adam and JC to wear clothes like that, it makes it more difficult for people to tell if they're carrying.

super...
14th Oct 2008, 02:27
it's also the only half way reasonable explanation as to why he can carry so much junk.

Yargo
14th Oct 2008, 02:32
it's also the only half way reasonable explanation as to why he can carry so much junk.

Well the way the augs are going so far that I can tell, he might have a backpack aug sense he can obviously carry tentacles back there:mad2:

ikenstein
14th Oct 2008, 02:34
Should Adem Jensen have a Trench Coat? We haven't seen if he has one or not yet so he could have one. I seem to recall that about 3/17 of the world had Trench Coats in Deus Ex (source (http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor/tutorials/customnpc/customnpc.htm))

If he has a Tench Coat this might make it that every Deus Ex game will feature a hero in a Trench Coat forever, but that might not be a bad thing.

deus ex 3 will require us to do more than frighten the NSF with our baggy coats that make us look bigger than we really are.

JCD
14th Oct 2008, 03:24
deus ex 3 will require us to do more than frighten the NSF with our baggy coats that make us look bigger than we really are.
Hehe, good catch Anne Navarre :D

I would like to see a trench coat, but not from the start...I would like him to wear it after a specific in-game point, where the scenario escalates.

Sounds a bit like a comic book tale, but I like it :cool:

Igoe
14th Oct 2008, 03:39
I hope we have the option to choose. In games nowadays its not unlikely to see whole SUITES of armor and the likes. The choice between 3-4 specific styles certainly shouldn't be out of the question.

DXeXodus
14th Oct 2008, 03:53
I voted for a trench coat, if even for good old nostalgia. But, considering that Adam is going to be mechanically augmented, I am pretty sure that whatever he wears will show off his augmentations in a better way than a baggy trench coat. Besides, look at the Joystick articles cover, he is wearing something that reminds me of Gordan Freeman's HEV suit. (At least the collar part because that is all that we can see)

Another interesting point to note: The characters that we have seen thus far in terms of NPC's have a very stylized look. Long thin legs, etc. I wonder if AJ will look like this too in terms of style?

rynn taylor
14th Oct 2008, 04:08
I voted for a trench coat, but I am not really fussed either way.

It could be a one off item to disguise Adam's augs in a specific area. If you choose to make the **** hit the fan then, Hulk-like, Adam's augs could rip through the trench coat and give away his real identity whilst he beats/jumps enemies.

Dead-Eye
14th Oct 2008, 04:44
I thought the idea was to humanize the character as much as possible. People would be less likely to notice his augmentations from a far if he was wearing a Trench Coat. Pulse as I said before Anna and Gunther seemed like extreme cases of augmentation work. I think Adam's work will be more along the lines of the bartender in hells kitchen. Unless augmenting your face has extreme advantages.

Jets Connor
14th Oct 2008, 04:49

No, he had a sexy as whatnot mesh shirt with glowy bits. At least, sexy as whatnot in the box art. The ingame model looked like his torso was subtly painted on the shirt. I'm not sure how they got from the suggestively stanced bad boy on the box to the sedated Planet Of The Apes extra in the game, but I don't think Adam's boyish enough to pull it off. No. He should wear a pink spandex leotard and striped pantaloons. To go with the Renaissance theme.

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 06:48
I think Adam could pull off a trenchcoat. but it would have to be with some damn spiffy body armor underneath.

jordan_a
15th Oct 2008, 08:34
Voted no, because of AJ's picture.

Nathan2000
15th Oct 2008, 09:15
Besides, look at the Joystick articles cover, he is wearing something that reminds me of Gordan Freeman's HEV suit. (At least the collar part because that is all that we can see)

My impression was that it's just a leather jacket and a sweater under it.

DXeXodus
15th Oct 2008, 09:36
You could be right. it just seems a little bit more sophisticated than a jacket to me.

Lo Bruto
15th Oct 2008, 14:58
I voted for a trench coat, if even for good old nostalgia. But, considering that Adam is going to be mechanically augmented, I am pretty sure that whatever he wears will show off his augmentations in a better way than a baggy trench coat.

I guess hiding your augmentations, rather than showing them, is the big deal.
That's why I think he is using sunglasses. Maybe his eyes are big and red just like Gunther's.

"My vision is augmented." is back.

ewanlaing
15th Oct 2008, 18:50
Trenchcoats are out. Anoraks are the cool coats of 2027, baby!

StalinsGhost
15th Oct 2008, 19:09
I'm indifferent.

But the trenchcoat was definitely one of those things contributing to JC's pretty blatantly lack of subtlety. Though not nearly as bad as wandering into a night club noticably just asking "DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT NICOLETTE DUCLARE".

UNATCO really needed to train JC in conversational skills, that's all I can say.

rhalibus
15th Oct 2008, 19:33
The trenchcoat is iconic to the DX realm. And yeah, it would explain how someone could carry a few hundred pounds of hardware unnoticed.

Voted Yes. :)

ewanlaing
15th Oct 2008, 21:49
The trenchcoat is iconic to the DX realm. And yeah, it would explain how someone could carry a few hundred pounds of hardware unnoticed.

Voted Yes. :)

Good point! But it would be cool to see our weapons appearing on Adam's model, now that we're going to get more 3rd person glimpses.

serene_chaos
16th Oct 2008, 07:45
Yes. Yes a million times over.
People in Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner wear trenchcoats. Therefore they are awesome.

Dead-Eye
16th Oct 2008, 23:03
I'm indifferent.

But the trenchcoat was definitely one of those things contributing to JC's pretty blatantly lack of subtlety. Though not nearly as bad as wandering into a night club noticably just asking "DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT NICOLETTE DUCLARE".

UNATCO really needed to train JC in conversational skills, that's all I can say.

JC Denton - "What do you mean I look like an assassin? I'm the only good guy!"

Nicolette - "Right and I should believe you because according to you didn't have time to change cloths after getting fired by an agency that kills people they call terrorist like Nicolette Duclare?"

At any rate looks like the trench coat wins.

Skulgun
17th Oct 2008, 00:21
Definitely yes. It's a a DX tradition, and I think the new guy can pull it off just fine. :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Oct 2008, 01:10
I voted YES!
Why not... it is kind of a trademark. :)

But, I'm not feeling too fashion-conscious about it all, so if he isn't going to own a trenchcoat, I wouldn't mind. :p

ikenstein
17th Oct 2008, 06:31
Trenchcoats are out. Anoraks are the cool coats of 2027, baby!

how about a tank top?

DXeXodus
17th Oct 2008, 06:56
Someone mentioned a mesh vest. I think Adam should wear a mesh vest and a gold chain around his neck. Instead of a dollar sign at the bottom of the chain there could be a golden Credit Chit.

WhatsHisFace
17th Oct 2008, 16:57
Either this game allows me to customize my "grill", or it's a no-sale.

ewanlaing
17th Oct 2008, 18:59
how about a tank top?
I like it!

Inane Mythos
17th Oct 2008, 21:25
Adam reminds me a lot of JC, as if DX1 was made now thats what he would look like.

A Trenchcoat seems like a sort of Cyberpunk trademark, so it has to stay. :cool:

TrickyVein
19th Oct 2008, 20:23
I dunno. I'm thinking more of a Devo-esque yellow jumpsuit for AJ.

AaronJ
19th Oct 2008, 20:46
I voted yes. Because it's the right answer.

jordan_a
19th Oct 2008, 23:59
Voted no, because like time, Deus Ex has changed and must change.

Jerion
20th Oct 2008, 03:06
Voted no, because like time, Deus Ex has changed and must change.

Fashion knows no season.

JakePeriphery
20th Oct 2008, 12:50
I'm all about the knee-duster with a mandarin collar.

TrickyVein
20th Oct 2008, 18:40
Codpieces anyone?

One would fit nicely with AJ's goatee.

imported_van_HellSing
20th Oct 2008, 18:53
If we're talking codpieces, the Black Russian is a must.

Bluey71
20th Oct 2008, 19:14
Voted yes.

But remember the third person look for special moves, thats (thankfully) been made optional? That is being put in so that we can see AJ doing cool things - Im willing to bet the devs will also want you to see any augs present so prolly wont get a full trench coat. Just MHO.

ewanlaing
21st Oct 2008, 16:56
In all seriousness, I think it would look cool if AJ wore a guards uniform throughout. It would make him more credible and practical in appearance.

Also, I think the trenchcoat was supposed to come into major fashion around the 2050s, according to an interview with Warren Spector I read in a really old PCZONE, though I may be mistaken.

spm1138
26th Oct 2008, 18:07
Optional please for the non-goths playing.

mouse
26th Oct 2008, 19:38
I'm fine as long as AJ isn't attached to much to some contemporary (youth) style like goth/emo, chavs or even gangsta hiphop :mad2: In fact that would be extremely annyoing. *)

The clothing has to be practical and casual. A leather trenchcoat isnt too conspicuous IMO, and it allows carrying all that gear you need when you are in this kind of business: dozends of multitools, shotgun, flamethrower...

*) That gives me the idea of having some role-playing with some annoying gangta street thugs. Options are 1) beat them up 2) use your stun prod 3) use your persuation skills to make them believe you're one of their hood and then beat them up

imported_van_HellSing
26th Oct 2008, 19:53
NEWSFLASH!

Adam will not wear a trench coat. Instead, he will wear a FRENCH COAT! (Actually, a french-canadian coat).

:rasp:

Flobulon
26th Oct 2008, 22:32
Security uniform makes the most sense to me. That said, there is something about people with big guns and trenchcoats that just looks cool.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2008, 22:41
NEWSFLASH!

Adam will not wear a trench coat. Instead, he will wear a FRENCH COAT! (Actually, a french-canadian coat).

:rasp:

Accessorised with a a black felt beret and oignon collar trim. :D

GmanPro
27th Oct 2008, 04:59
Yes. Yes a million times over.
People in Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner wear trenchcoats. Therefore they are awesome.

:lol: I agree lol. Trench coats are pure win.

J.CDenton
27th Oct 2008, 17:51
Yeah! Definitively yeah! Trenchcoat are emblematic of cyberpunk fashion like mirrorshades. So I vote le yes!

But please, don't make him strip every seconds like Motoko in Ghost in the Shell. Or it'll be less cyberpunk.

Tstorm
27th Oct 2008, 23:34
Trench coat to hide all of his body augmentations. Like his forehead, he can't do anything bout that (except maybe fill it in with some concrete or something), but he could wear a trench coat to cover the rest of his augmentations. Mmm trenchcoats... the breakfast of champions.

Tstorm
27th Oct 2008, 23:39
Voted yes.

But remember the third person look for special moves, thats (thankfully) been made optional? That is being put in so that we can see AJ doing cool things - Im willing to bet the devs will also want you to see any augs present so prolly wont get a full trench coat. Just MHO.

Better yet, instead of not getting a full trench coat, why not make him naked? Just like the terminator he can showcase his augmentations. What a retarded idea, I should gas myself.

spm1138
28th Oct 2008, 00:02
why not make him naked? Just like the terminator he can showcase his augmentations.

:scratch:

:mad2:

Tstorm
28th Oct 2008, 23:16
He wants a half-trench coat. I say if they going to do that they might as well make him naked. Which is stupid. Therefore dont make half trench coat. Hope this saves you some time.:rasp: