PDA

View Full Version : mercy? will it be included?

super...
13th Oct 2008, 20:35
One thing I liked about Deus ex is players have always had options to not kill people. So what non-lethal methods will we see in deus ex 3?

ZylonBane
13th Oct 2008, 20:37
So what less non-lethal methods will we see in deus ex 3?
The less non-lethal method is to shoot them.

super...
13th Oct 2008, 20:43
oh one thing i have always wanted was to shoot guys in the leg and not have them die instantly. This is a roll playing game, so could we have a some type of hit location, disable/disarm options? how cool would it be to shoot guns out of other guys hands! you would be like a heroic cowboy.

El_Bel
13th Oct 2008, 22:22
In Deux Ex you could do that. But i doubt DX3 will allow to target hands. From what i understood from the info we got, there will be only health bars. Lets hope i am wrong.

Big Orange
13th Oct 2008, 23:21
Why do people keep dredging up unsourced and unconfirmed negative rumours?

Anyway, I think the player should be rewarded for moderation in combat and showing mercy to key characters, since you're more likely to be opposed and attacked by more people if you leave every area you go into as a charnel house. Being needlessly brutal and killing too many innocent people should bite you on the ass bigtime.

Jerion
13th Oct 2008, 23:31
Why do people keep dredging up unsourced and unconfirmed negative rumours?

Anyway, I think the player should be rewarded for moderation in combat and showing mercy to key characters, since you're more likely to be opposed and attacked by more people if you leave every area you go into as a charnel house. Being needlessly brutal and killing too many innocent people should bite you on the ass bigtime.

Ditto. Of course, there should be some people that won't have heard of your reputation, even if it does precede you, so they won't know to judge you as either a pacifist or as rambo incarnate.

Big Orange
13th Oct 2008, 23:50
Ditto. Of course, there should be some people that won't have heard of your reputation, even if it does precede you, so they won't know to judge you as either a pacifist or as rambo incarnate.

I expect a similar but more sophisticated and immersive version of the reward system from the Hitman franchise (in Blood Money a newspaper article after a mission would label you a 'Psychopathic Mass Murderer' if you leave too many bodies).

super...
14th Oct 2008, 01:22
Oh yes this was in deus ex one i think. the info terminals would describe the crimes you had committed (like drug trafficking and theft) though I'm not sure if your always accused of those things regardless of your actions.

Big Orange
14th Oct 2008, 02:07
Oh yes this was in deus ex one i think. the info terminals would describe the crimes you had committed (like drug trafficking and theft) though I'm not sure if your always accused of those things regardless of your actions.

I think that was MJ12 spreading falsified bad news about JC Denton and framing him for terrible things he didn't do (like MJ12 demolishing the VersaLife building to cover its tracks by getting rid of the compromised R&D facilities and Universal Constructor located in the sublevels).

super...
14th Oct 2008, 02:15
That may be true, but you do actually have the opportunity to traffic drugs in the game, remember all the stuff you do with zime in the subway station? and your stealing things left and right. so i wonder if your list of crimes really is based on your actions

Jerion
14th Oct 2008, 04:01
It certainly could be in this game, though I managed to avoid killing manderly and the news terminal at the paris cathedral said I had anyway. :)

JCD
14th Oct 2008, 04:20
Of course I approve the idea of having a "Non-Lethal-Takedown" system.

It's really great imo, an excellent option. I remember that when I played DX for the 1st time, I was totally non-lethal since I heard that Paul was killed (except Navarre, she died on the 747) - I went "mad" from there on and started killing.

This IS Role-Playing imo, having the choise to do such things.

I also noticed that someone mentioned the "hit-in-the-leg" option. This is a very nice idea imo. Implement a system from the SWAT 3/4 games - you could shoot a guy in the leg and he would drop down, in the hand and his gun would fell off.

It would be cool if the dev team approves sth like this ;) :cool:

Spiffmeister
15th Oct 2008, 06:32
Hit them on the head with a steel pipe!

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 06:39
Just don't do it in front of the kid in the park or he won't give you the code to the secret vending machine door. :lol:

gamer0004
16th Oct 2008, 16:09
I hope non-lethal takedowns won't be rewarded. It's a moral choice for YOU, I don't want the devs to decide for me that non-lethal takedowns are better (even though I think so). That was a main part of DX and I sincerely hope it remains so.

Overtime
16th Oct 2008, 17:26
I hope non-lethal takedowns won't be rewarded. It's a moral choice for YOU, I don't want the devs to decide for me that non-lethal takedowns are better (even though I think so). That was a main part of DX and I sincerely hope it remains so.

Perhaps not rewarded, but the game should react to it. Just like when Paul reacted to your actions on liberty Island.

ewanlaing
16th Oct 2008, 17:46

In fact IW often punished you for not killing people by having other characters become distrustful of you, while at the same time making you feel morally superior.

minus0ne
16th Oct 2008, 20:09
The script in Deus Ex made no distinction between prodding or knocking someone unconcious, and killing them. While I agree with your post to some extent, I've always thought it a bit odd that after going out of your way to zap/knock nearly everyone in your path unconcious on Liberty Island - Paul lectures you on going all rambo killing machine.

JCD
16th Oct 2008, 20:12
Paul NEVER told me (:D) that, when I chose the silent non lethal takedown method...

He always congratulated me for doing the right thing - I think you've done somthing wrong...:)

MURDERER :rasp: :rasp:

gamer0004
17th Oct 2008, 09:29
Paul NEVER told me (:D) that, when I chose the silent non lethal takedown method...

He always congratulated me for doing the right thing - I think you've done somthing wrong...:)

MURDERER :rasp: :rasp:

You should've used less TNT then Paul would've told you

SICKO :rasp: :rasp:

;)

ZylonBane
17th Oct 2008, 15:00
"My mercy is augmented."

rhalibus
17th Oct 2008, 18:37
The script in Deus Ex made no distinction between prodding or knocking someone unconcious, and killing them.

There was some distinction: If you knock out Rock the drug dealer in the subway tunnels instead of killing him, the gang leader El Rey criticizes you for not killing him like he asked but still gives you the LAM as a reward.

Absentia
17th Oct 2008, 23:02
In Deux Ex you could do that. But i doubt DX3 will allow to target hands. From what i understood from the info we got, there will be only health bars. Lets hope i am wrong.

I've read both the online information and the whole PCZONE article. Nowhere does it say that. the only health-related piece of information is that the PLAYER will use a self-regeneration system akin to the one on Call of Duty. Hit locations don't even come into it. How do people even get these ideas?

Jerion
17th Oct 2008, 23:25
I've read both the online information and the whole PCZONE article. Nowhere does it say that. the only health-related piece of information is that the PLAYER will use a self-regeneration system akin to the one on Call of Duty. Hit locations don't even come into it. How do people even get these ideas?

Beats me.

I should point out that DX had health bars- It just had a separate health bar for each section of the body. That rumor is a moot point.

Abram730
18th Oct 2008, 06:14

I created such a blood bath at castle Clinton that the guy at the armory wouldn't give me ammo.. he gave me a multi tool and a lecture.. lol

binaryboy
19th Oct 2008, 01:57
One of my favorite gaming moments was in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, when I went back to a guy I had knocked out earlier and saw another guy helping him up. I just stared and thought, "WTF?!" I hope DX 3 has some sort of feature like that. It would add a little extra challenge to stealth gameplay.