PDA

View Full Version : DX3 FAN COMPETITION 1.0 - Get the details here

DXeXodus
13th Oct 2008, 08:12
For Everyone who has signed up:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/DXeXodus/DX3%20competition/Banner.jpg

After a lot of hard work and extensive planning we, the Deus Ex 3 moderators, wish to present you with the first
unofficial Deus Ex 3 Fan Competition!

This is where you get to flex your creative muscles and show us that you have what it takes to win. Please be
sure to read the following very carefully to avoid disappointment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Prizes: (The good stuff first)

The winner of each category will receive a hamper including the following:

(1) 1 x DX3 T-shirt
(2) 1 x DX3 Peak cap
(3) 1 x Eidos Montreal “beanie”
(4) 1 x Eidos pen (Built in 512mb flash drive and LASER pointer!)
(5) 1 x Eidos Montreal backpack/knapsack
(6) 2 x Brand stickers.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/DXeXodus/DX3%20competition/Prize.jpg

A big thank you to René and Eidos Montreal for agreeing to supply these amazing hampers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Competition Categories:

Category A: Alter the following image using Photoshop or a similar program in a funny or clever way. You may include
any imagery that does not carry a copyright law with it (even other DX3 images). Feel free to do what you want with the
image so long as it complies with the competition rules (see further below).

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/DXeXodus/DX3%20competition/Pshoplab.jpg
A laboratory.

Please note that due to the lack of high quality scans the above image is not
of a very high quality. Please think creatively before you rant about the limitations
of the image. If you can find a better quality version of the same image. Please post it in this thread.

Category B: Write a funny caption for the following image. The caption must be text based
and not incorporated into the image in any way (just submit the text). The same rules apply as in Category A.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/DXeXodus/DX3%20competition/1.jpg
Adam Jensen, our protagonist.

Please note that each of the respective images are related only to their specific categories. I.e: Do not write a
caption for Category A and do not Photoshop the Category B picture.

Entry Method:

Please send your entry to Romeo's e-mail address: im_too_icy_for_this_cow@hotmail.com with the following
subject line:

“Deus Ex 3 Fan competition – Category A / B” (A and B if you are taking part in both)

When submitting your image or caption, you must please include your forum name. If you send in a Category A
image, a short description of what the image is about will be appreciated.

Do not post your image or caption in this or any other thread as this will result in disqualification. We wish to keep
all entries anonymous until the competition is finished.

Judging Method:

Once the final entry date has come to pass, the three moderators (Romeo, René and myself) will choose ten finalists
from each category. The entries will be judged on the idea, originality, humour (if applicable), quality of work and
compliance with the rules. Two sticky threads will then be created in which the entries of all the finalists shall be
displayed. From this point on, members will be able to vote for the entries they believe to be the best.

Competition Dates:

The competition will run for approximately a week after the time that this thread is posted. Further dates will be
noted here at a later stage. We plan on playing it by ear as the competition progresses. We will give at least two
days notice as to the closing date of the competition.

Competition Rules:

1. Only those who have already subscribed in the “Pre: Fan Contest” thread may participate in the competition.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=847416&posted=1#post847416
2. You may take part in both categories only if you have subscribed to do so.
3. You may only submit ONE entry. Additional entries will not be considered so make the first one count.
4. Obscene language or imagery will result in immediate disqualification.
5. If you are not a fan and will not TRULY appreciate the prize, do not enter. Rather be fair and leave it to those who will love it.
6. The ten best entries chosen by the moderators for each category are final. No changes will be made by the moderators.
7. If a finalist has entries in both categories, they may only win once. If they comes first in both polls, then they shall win the
category for which they have received the most votes. The finalist who comes second in the other category will therefore be
the winner of that category.
8. Finalists may be disqualified should they disclose or hint at his or her entry number to other members. This is only
to ensure fairness.

Additional Notes:

1. Please consider the final results as indisputable.
2. If you act in a way that jeopardizes the outcome of the competition in any way your entry may be removed from the competition.
3. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them here. If you want to ask us whether something is appropriate
or you would like to ask something confidentially, then please PM one of the mods.

- René @ http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=94708
- Romeo @ http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=94335
- DXeXodus @ http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=92880

We apologize if this all seems so formal and abrupt, but taking into account the quality of the prizes on offer,
we want to keep this as fair as possible.

Please check here for any amendments to the competition criteria.

Well, there you have it. Be creative.
Enjoy,

Deus Ex 3 Moderating Team

DXeXodus
13th Oct 2008, 08:50
Please remember to keep your ideas and and any entries confidential.

Do not post any images (unless higher res. versions of existing ones) or captions here.

MrP
13th Oct 2008, 09:15
A big thank you to René and Eidos Montreal for agreeing to supply these amazing hampers.

++
Seconded... and to you mods too for organising it. http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/applaud.gif

rynn taylor
13th Oct 2008, 09:25
++
Seconded... and to you mods too for organising it. http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/applaud.gif

+++

Thirded - a BIG thanks to the mods and Eidos Montreal! :thumbsup:

Time to get creative...

MrP
13th Oct 2008, 11:58
Well, that's my photoshop entry in. Thought I'd just run with my first idea... hope I don't think of a better one now! :nut:

I mentioned in the email but thought I'd put it here too, in case you think it might help you with organising if others do the same - I made my username part of the filename.
You'll obviously need to rename them before hosting for the vote thread but as I said, it might help you in the preliminary stages.

Good luck all. :thumbsup:

binaryboy
13th Oct 2008, 12:19
Well, that's my photoshop entry in. Thought I'd just run with my first idea... hope I don't think of a better one now! :nut:

Wow you're fast! My brain hasn't even woken up yet.

DXeXodus
13th Oct 2008, 12:25
Wow MrP! That really was quick! Well done. :thumbsup:

LeatherJacket
13th Oct 2008, 12:39
What's the reason behind not allowing new sign-ups?

MrP
13th Oct 2008, 13:10
Wow you're fast! My brain hasn't even woken up yet.

Wow MrP! That really was quick! Well done. :thumbsup:

Hehe, cheers guys. I thought I'd strike while the iron's hot and all that.
Besides, you know what they say... while the cat's away the mice will play (with photoshop)... :whistle: ;)

MrsP's probably on the train now, so I've texted her to tell her what the subject matter is. She's probably thinking of a caption right now.
I'm still waiting for inspiration on that one, whereas the photoshop one came to me almost immediately.

PS. I'd have posted some higher res pics but I don't have drivers for my scanners and I had lighting issues with my camera, sorry. :o

WindexChugger
13th Oct 2008, 13:14
woah! The prizes are so awesome! Big thanks to Rene and Eidos:)

Now if I can only think of something witty to go with AJ's picture...

binaryboy
13th Oct 2008, 14:00
Yeah, I'd love that shirt.

DXeXodus
13th Oct 2008, 14:45

The competition is meant for those who regularly attend this forum. We are sorry if you don't get to participate in this one. But there will probably be another one. There has been a sign up thread for weeks now. So those who have signed up have been paying careful attention to this. :)

woah! The prizes are so awesome! Big thanks to Rene and Eidos:)

Now if I can only think of something witty to go with AJ's picture...

Darn right those are cool prizes. Rene is the man.

I am really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with here. I chose the pictures to be a challenge and really get you thinking. I have my own ideas, so lets see if anyone has similar ones :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Oct 2008, 14:52
Phew, arrived safely in London. Found an internet cafe near Marble Arch so all is sorted... and I get to see a glimpse of the contest.

Wooooot! Nice goodies! :cool:
Thank you EM, thanks Rene, thanks Mods. :thumbsup:
I'm particularly loving that peak cap... perfect for the British winter that's about to come, hehe. We never had any sunshine this year anyway. :(

Trust MrP to have submitted his entry already... don't know whether I feel proud of him (what a genius!) or threatened by him (what a ****), lol. :p
Grrrrr, I'm going to have to spend a good few nights thinking about this one. :scratch:

Algarys
13th Oct 2008, 16:17
Nice ! Thanks guys ! =)

Good luck everyone !

Malah
13th Oct 2008, 21:33
Caption: Done

PhotoShop: Skillz inadequate - alert!! :mad2:

I'll get it done, even if it means I add a stick figure to the picture. :rolleyes:
I just can't get it right. It keeps taunting me, laughing in my face because it knows I can't force it to look the way I want it to...

El_Bel
13th Oct 2008, 22:23
How much time do we have?

Jerion
13th Oct 2008, 22:59
Caption is sent in.

Time to get to work on that photoshopping! :)

EDIT:

Photoshoped image sent in!

-K :D

ricwhite
14th Oct 2008, 00:15
I'm a little confused about the pre-registration requirements. Can somebody clarify? Is it too late to register to enter the contest?

Also, I know the winners will receive the prizes listed; however, is there an option to PURCHASE one of the items if not a winner? I would like to buy a T-shirt if I lose.

Thanks in advance for responses.

JCD
14th Oct 2008, 02:55
Oh no, I 've just missed it...:o :(

Anyway, great move by you guys, really nice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DXeXodus
14th Oct 2008, 03:45
How much time do we have?

Probably about a week at least. Might even run for a few days longer than that.

I'm a little confused about the pre-registration requirements. Can somebody clarify? Is it too late to register to enter the contest?

Unfortunately yes, it is too late. Registration has been taking place over the last few weeks in the thread mentioned in the competition rules. It is now, however closed. Sorry if you have missed it.

Also, I know the winners will receive the prizes listed; however, is there an option to PURCHASE one of the items if not a winner? I would like to buy a T-shirt if I lose.

I don't think so. Not at this point in time.

IH-Denton
14th Oct 2008, 03:46
I have some kind nicer quality of picture of morgue for you guys (with a bit of gauss blur, just a little). Here it is

[ IMAGE updated in original post - Thanks - DXe ]

MrP
14th Oct 2008, 04:19
Phew. Finally came up with a caption after sleeping on it. That was harder than I expected.
Kudos to DXeXodus for making it this challenging. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see all the entries.

Trust MrP to have submitted his entry already... don't know whether I feel proud of him (what a genius!) or threatened by him (what a ****), lol. :p
I should consider myself lucky you didn't think me a fool for rushing it, I s'pose. :rasp:

I have some kind nicer quality of picture of morgue for you guys (with a bit of gauss blur, just a little). Here it is
http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/081014/15URuurUYT.jpg

Phew, you had me worried for a second there... first I thought you'd messed up and posted your entry inline; then I thought I'd messed up and captioned the wrong pic! :eek:

Need more coffee... :whistle:

DXeXodus
14th Oct 2008, 04:25

Thank you! I will update the first post.

To anyone who has photoshopped the initial (lower quality) image, you will not be penalized for not using this image. If you would like to re-do your entry then feel free to do so. Just explain in the email that you are using the newer image.

SemiAnonymous
14th Oct 2008, 04:56
Dude! Brilliant prizes!
Alright, time to get creative. May the best man/woman win, eh?
Side note: I want that shirt. Badly.

Jerion
14th Oct 2008, 04:59
Dude! Brilliant prizes!
Alright, time to get creative. May the best man/woman win, eh?
Side note: I want that shirt. Badly.

Me too. :cool:

DXeXodus
14th Oct 2008, 05:17
Had a look at some of the entries thus far and all I can say is WOW! A few of them have had me laughing. Looking forward to seeing the rest. :lol:

Romeo
14th Oct 2008, 05:24
As DXeXodus mentioned, the option to sign up has been open for weeks now, so indirectly, it's almost a reward for those who have been here contributing for a while. Secondly, and on a more official level, it's because we have a strict schedule and system in place, so in the interest of keeping everything flowing, cut-off dates had to be made.

rhalibus
14th Oct 2008, 19:36
Considering the state of the US economy, I might need a shirt to replace the one off my back. :cool:

El_Bel
14th Oct 2008, 22:00
I am a bit scared of the competition, and you will probably wont find it funny because i dont have humor :p but i am not the kind of man who quits easily!! Expect my entry in one or two days!!

DXeXodus
15th Oct 2008, 03:45
^^ Don't be scared. If your entry isn't funny just make sure it is very clever, thats all. :D

Mindmute
15th Oct 2008, 10:49
^^ Don't be scared. If your entry isn't funny just make sure it is very clever, thats all. :D

Not sure if mine's clever or funny but it was spontaneous... Read the details and submitted in the same 5 minutes. Do I get points for that? :rolleyes:

*crosses fingers

DXeXodus
15th Oct 2008, 10:54
^^ Of course! You get +5 internet point to use as you wish. :)

Mindmute
15th Oct 2008, 19:59
^^ Of course! You get +5 internet point to use as you wish. :)

Huzzah! Now to find a way to use them that torments Kaze!

Overtime
16th Oct 2008, 17:28
Can we buy that shirt somewhere?

Kaze103
16th Oct 2008, 18:12

I don't think so. Not at this point in time.

Overtime: Your answer

René
16th Oct 2008, 19:35
Can we buy that shirt somewhere?

Not at the moment, but hopefully in the future!

Overtime
16th Oct 2008, 19:39
Overtime: Your answer

My bad!

MrP
16th Oct 2008, 21:09
For those of you who're disappointed that you missed the sign-ups, here's a consolation prize to tide you over until the next one. http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/clickme.gif (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=81148)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Oct 2008, 00:27
^
People should refrain from participating in this fun thread for now. :)

Okay, I should submit my entry to the caption contest tomorrow.
The photoshop entry should follow soon after. Wow, lots to do and so little time... :nut:

DXeXodus
17th Oct 2008, 03:41
MrsP. I take it you are back. :)

An important not to everyone:

The entry period will be ending next week, so please try and submit your entries ASAP.

binaryboy
17th Oct 2008, 04:41
Submitted mine just now. Good luck, everyone!

Romeo
17th Oct 2008, 05:19
I am a bit scared of the competition, and you will probably wont find it funny because i dont have humor :p but i am not the kind of man who quits easily!! Expect my entry in one or two days!!
Hey, I snorted, and my IQ is slightly larger than my shoe size, so you must be doing not too badly. lol

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Oct 2008, 16:10
MrsP. I take it you are back. :)

An important not to everyone:

The entry period will be ending next week, so please try and submit your entries ASAP.

Yes, thank you.

I have just sent in my entry for the Caption contest. Please let me know if you haven't received it. :)

Photoshop entry arriving by Sunday latest. Hope that isn't too late, is it? :eek:

Romeo
18th Oct 2008, 03:54
Yes, thank you.

I have just sent in my entry for the Caption contest. Please let me know if you haven't received it. :)

Photoshop entry arriving by Sunday latest. Hope that isn't too late, is it? :eek:
Sunday's the last day I'm here, I leave for Hawaii the day after. Try and do it early Sunday, if you can. But I think that`s a good cut-off date.

Jerion
18th Oct 2008, 06:15
Sunday's the last day I'm here, I leave for Hawaii the day after. Try and do it early Sunday, if you can. But I think that`s a good cut-off date.

So mid Sunday then? sounds good to me. :)

MrP
18th Oct 2008, 10:52
Hawaii? Lucky b'stard.
Love the way you just nonchalantly drop that in there... :p

So mid Sunday then? sounds good to me. :)
Me too. Can't wait. http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/trampoline.gif
Are all the other entries pretty much in now then?

Hurry up MrsP... you've been back since Wednesday. http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/slap.gif

Btw DXe, am I allowed to help her if she needs/wants it?
I know it might lessen my chances of winning a bit but I know she wants this prize as much as I do.

Oh and can you clarify if we're allowed to vote for our own entries?
If so, I'm hoping it wouldn't matter if I then knew which was hers (because, let's face it, it won't swing my vote will it? ;)).

Azrepheal
18th Oct 2008, 20:46
Just sent off my entry, yay! :lmao:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Oct 2008, 11:47

Hawaii! :eek:
Very nice.... :p

Umm, I doubt I'm going to be finished early today (or even late tonight, the way it is going :o ) so please don't wait on me guys.
Pleae close the contest when you deem fit as I don't wish to be holding anyone up. Thank you. :)

MrP
19th Oct 2008, 14:15
I'll donate one of my spare ones for MrsP to use, as long as no-one else has any objections.

DXe - those ones I sent you for safekeeping? The first one was completely her idea anyway.
I think the last one was the best, personally but I'll leave it up to your discretion which one to use. :thumbsup:
They should be sufficiently different from the entry I sent in to preserve anonymity in voting (but you might want to let her know which one you choose so she can vote accordingly ;)).

I'll give up my rights to the prize if she wins (but I wouldn't mind the beanie for my troubles :whistle: ).
:)

gamer0004
19th Oct 2008, 17:02
My "photoshop" thingy is made with 80%* MS Paint! YAY! (my PS isn't working for some reason...). Lol.

*The other 20% with MS Picture it! (which isn't even that bad, I found out today).

MrP
19th Oct 2008, 18:02
I used Paint Shop Pro for mine.
There's a free trial available here (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1208530085925) for anyone who fancies it. :)

Nearly forgot... there's also the awesome and free Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/)

imported_van_HellSing
19th Oct 2008, 18:25
Isn't revealing your technique cheating a bit? I mean, "I did it in Paint" conjures up images in a... specific style. Could be used for determining which work is yours.

MrP
19th Oct 2008, 21:04
Isn't revealing your technique cheating a bit? I mean, "I did it in Paint" conjures up images in a... specific style. Could be used for determining which work is yours.
I take it you're not familiar with the 'How to draw a xxxx in MS Paint' series then?

Go watch this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU) and then tell me that you'd be able to pick out that guy's work from ten out of seventeen entries based on the fact that he said 'I did it in Paint'.

Or this guy (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWqRhReaZk), for that matter...
(this was the guy I was originally looking to show you but his first video is no longer available unfortunately)

imported_van_HellSing
19th Oct 2008, 21:10
Well, that's some of the proverbial exceptions that prove the rule. Also, note the wording, I didn't say I'll know for sure, did I? ;)

However, I do maintain that posting any details about your own contest entries is a nono ****.

I mean, with AaronJ around? Be prepared for DX3 Photoshop Contest Entry Analysis video on youtube! :D

MrP
19th Oct 2008, 21:25
I would hope that people would vote based on the judging criteria given in the first post -
the entries they believe to be the best.

My post (on the back of his) was intended to reassure people that they don't actually need £500+ software to be in with a chance.
I took his pretty much the same way. http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/shrug.gif

El_Bel
19th Oct 2008, 21:32
Of topic...
Seriously, has anyone here actually bought photoshop? :p

Ok you can continue your conversations :D

MrP
19th Oct 2008, 21:41
Of topic...

Ok you can continue your conversations :D
Sure. I got mine in a Thai market for about 250 Baht. :D

Just kidding... but there's always Photoshop Elements (http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm) for casual users like us though.
It's often bundled free with hardware like scanners and cameras (or maybe the Lite version is, anyway).

binaryboy
19th Oct 2008, 22:33
Of topic...

Good question. It's so expensive and yet it seems almost everyone (except me) has a copy.

rhalibus
20th Oct 2008, 02:59
I bought mine, although it was an earlier version. I used it for this example of DX3 lock picking in an earlier thread about interactivity:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8183/deusexlockpickexamplera1.jpg

Jerion
20th Oct 2008, 03:03
Good question. It's so expensive and yet it seems almost everyone (except me) has a copy.

I bought the entire CS3 collection for $400 with my academic discount. great stuff. :)

DXeXodus
20th Oct 2008, 03:53
Btw DXe, am I allowed to help her if she needs/wants it?
I know it might lessen my chances of winning a bit but I know she wants this prize as much as I do.

Yes you may help her :)

Oh and can you clarify if we're allowed to vote for our own entries?
If so, I'm hoping it wouldn't matter if I then knew which was hers (because, let's face it, it won't swing my vote will it? ;)).

We have no way of forcing people NOT to vote for their own entries so yeah, I guess you may. Won't really make a difference in the end if all the finalists vote for themselves because the vote will be up to many other people anyway.

I'll donate one of my spare ones for MrsP to use, as long as no-one else has any objections.

DXe - those ones I sent you for safekeeping? The first one was completely her idea anyway.
I think the last one was the best, personally but I'll leave it up to your discretion which one to use. :thumbsup:
They should be sufficiently different from the entry I sent in to preserve anonymity in voting (but you might want to let her know which one you choose so she can vote accordingly ;)).
:)

I didn't get any from you because you probably sent them to Romeo. You will have to send him a PM explaining this to him. :thumbsup:

DXeXodus
20th Oct 2008, 03:55
A note to everyone. The competition entries will be ending any time from now on. So if you have not sent in your entries please do so immediately. We don't want any tears now do we?

MrP
20th Oct 2008, 04:54
Yes you may help her :)

Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup:
Trouble is, she won't be round till later on, so it could be 12 hours before we're done with an entry... :(

We have no way of forcing people NOT to vote for their own entries so yeah, I guess you may. Won't really make a difference in the end if all the finalists vote for themselves because the vote will be up to many other people anyway.

Thought as much but again, cheers for the clarification. :)

I didn't get any from you because you probably sent them to Romeo. You will have to send him a PM explaining this to him. :thumbsup:
Just got your reply to the PM... as you said in a previous one, yes, you ought to check them first. ;) :D

gamer0004
20th Oct 2008, 06:17
Isn't revealing your technique cheating a bit? I mean, "I did it in Paint" conjures up images in a... specific style.

Those images have a 78.71% chance to be correct...

Jerion
20th Oct 2008, 07:50
[QUOTE=van_HellSing;863045]Isn't revealing your technique cheating a bit? I mean, "I did it in Paint" conjures up images in a... specific style.[QUOTE]

Those images have a 78.71% chance to be correct...

You know, 90% of statistics are made up. :D

pewbeng
20th Oct 2008, 10:27
[QUOTE=gamer0004;863368][QUOTE=van_HellSing;863045]Isn't revealing your technique cheating a bit? I mean, "I did it in Paint" conjures up images in a... specific style.

It's actually 86.53%!

rynn taylor
20th Oct 2008, 10:59
Isn't revealing your technique cheating a bit? I mean, "I did it in Paint" conjures up images in a... specific style.

[QUOTE=gamer0004;863368]

It's actually 86.53%!

And 73.89% of people have the tendacy to make up statistics in an argument.

~Psychotic~
20th Oct 2008, 11:11
I'd so do this, I just suck at thinking of humorous things lol. Ideas in this category is not my strong point.

ThatDeadDude
20th Oct 2008, 11:53

Screw you guys! I'm a stats major :D (Or maybe that should be :()

DXeXodus
20th Oct 2008, 11:59
76% of people who claim be be stats major's are in fact semi-professional cow milkers.

gamer0004
20th Oct 2008, 13:07
76% of people who claim be be stats major's are in fact semi-professional cow milkers.

Did you know that in fact 15,3% of all Moderators are in some way related to wet trenchcoat fetish parties at which semi-professional cow milkers are bashed by a large majority of 79,9%?

Btw, I seriously messed up a lot of posts by forgetting to type a "/"...

K^2
20th Oct 2008, 15:29
gamer0004, where are you from? There aren't a lot of countries left where a comma is still used to delimit decimals.

And just for the record, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Algarys
20th Oct 2008, 18:20
Well, in France we still use commas, as well as in Spain or Germany.
Any percentages about the number of states that keep using commas ? :p

@ MrP : I also used Paint Shop Pro \o/

imported_van_HellSing
20th Oct 2008, 18:24
Poland also, yay! It's pretty much about personal preference here.

gamer0004
20th Oct 2008, 18:36
gamer0004, where are you from? There aren't a lot of countries left where a comma is still used to delimit decimals.

And just for the record, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

HOLLAND! YAY!

I believe about every European country still uses commas... Even though almost everything now uses the American system, I will keep using our system... EUROPE RULES (from now on probably, the EU is becoming way more important than the US).

Btw, K^2, I'd really like to hear your opinion about the released "DX"3 (artwork) technologies...

K^2
20th Oct 2008, 21:56
Btw, K^2, I'd really like to hear your opinion about the released "DX"3 (artwork) technologies...
I think it is in good agreement with everything else. I do expect a brief Renaissance-like period before any serious technological breaktrhough, like nano-robotics would be. And that has always happened along with changes in art and technology. The later starts to become incredibly intricate and complex version of existing tech, like very fine clockwork that is built of gears that are rather simple by themselves. Art becomes more important, and tends to mirror styles of the past. It also has an effect on what technology looks like. This has happened several times in the past, and the period we refer to as Renaissance is simply the longest one. Greece, Rome, and middle east, at least, have had similar periods in their history. I'm sure other civilizations have had them as well.

So I really think it makes sense for us to see something like what we see in the early art work. If devs manage to pull this kind of style consistently, it'd be perfectly fine.

DXeXodus
21st Oct 2008, 03:39
Competition entries are officially closed.

:D

Good luck to all those who have entered. Keep an eye out for two new threads created by Romeo in the near future. It is in these threads that you will be able to choose the ones you like the most.

And remember, please do not make reference to your entry in order to keep things fair.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2008, 08:54
Yay, looking forward to seeing all the submissions.

The very best of luck to each and every one of you guys! :cool: :cool: :cool:

DXeXodus
21st Oct 2008, 08:58
Now we all just have to wait for Romeo. I have no idea when he will make the threads. I know he is busy doing lots of other things at the moment. If he cannot do it soon then I will :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2008, 09:05
Now we all just have to wait for Romeo. I have no idea when he will make the threads. I know he is busy doing lots of other things at the moment. If he cannot do it soon then I will :)

Well, seeing as he already let slip that he was going to Hawaii, I take it that "busy doing a lot of other things" means he's surfing the waves, sunbathing on a beach, drinking pina colado with fresh coconut juice and dancing the Hula with pretty damsels. ;)

LOL... nice to be "busy", isn't it. :whistle:

:D :p

K^2
21st Oct 2008, 14:50
People can be busy with real work at Hawaii. My girlfriend went there for a conference, and I tagged along. Since I was in the middle of a research project, that's what I was doing. Of course, the beauty of theoretical physics is that you can do it while sitting on a beach at a beautiful island and sipping funny looking cocktails with umbrellas in them.

So for all we know, Romeo really is busy, but I'm sure he's having fun either way.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2008, 15:57
...ng on a beach at a beautiful island and sipping funny looking cocktails with umbrellas in them.

Okay, no need to rub it in... :mad:
:p

So for all we know, Romeo really is busy, but I'm sure he's having fun either way.
Yes, of course. :D

imported_van_HellSing
21st Oct 2008, 17:07
Of course, the beauty of theoretical physics is that you can do it while sitting on a beach at a beautiful island and sipping funny looking cocktails with umbrellas in them.

Now what would Gordon Freeman say about that?

Wait, Gordon Freeman... say... nevermind.

ThatDeadDude
21st Oct 2008, 17:24
Of course, the beauty of theoretical physics is that you can do it while sitting on a beach at a beautiful island and sipping funny looking cocktails with umbrellas in them.

Obviously you guys aren't drinking strong enough cocktails, or else we'd have a GUTE by now.

imported_van_HellSing
21st Oct 2008, 18:24
Ultimately, I didn't manage to think of an entry for the caption contest in time, all I could think of was overly obvious "My lungs are augmented." type stuff. However, I think I might have just found a moderately good idea:

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Pity I won't have a chance to use it. Oh well. :)

Nathan2000
21st Oct 2008, 19:17
Ultimately, I didn't manage to think of an entry for the caption contest in time, all I could think of was overly obvious "My lungs are augmented." type stuff. However, I think I might have just found a moderately good idea:

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Pity I won't have a chance to use it. Oh well. :)

There's always Role Playing (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=81148).

K^2
22nd Oct 2008, 01:14
I'm sure he'd take Hawaii over Ravenholm any day.

rynn taylor
22nd Oct 2008, 02:20

Wait, Gordon Freeman... say... nevermind.

Don't you know yet? Episode 3 is set in Hawaii and revolves around Gordon trying to woo Alyx. It will also be the first time we hear Gordon speak - the player gets to choose the pick up lines Gordon will use on Alyx.

DXeXodus
22nd Oct 2008, 05:01
Still no word from Romeo. Think he is too busy entertaining the Hawaii locals. ;)

If there are no threads by the end of the week I will make them for you guys so you can start voting. I am very interested to see the outcome of this. There are some really good entries.

El_Bel
22nd Oct 2008, 13:14
Is there a reason to wait? Haven't you chosen the entries?

Jerion
22nd Oct 2008, 13:26
Yeah, close the entries already. I want to see the winners so I can congratulate them.

And then beat them down with a baton and steal their winnings.
:whistle:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Oct 2008, 13:45
Still no word from Romeo. Think he is too busy entertaining the Hawaii locals. ;)

Well, well.... http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/stampfoot.gif

Looks like Romeo has reached his tropical destination already and is "busy" (did someone actually suggest that? :nut: ) updating his blog.
First pics have gone up... can anyone spot any more? If so, please post in here, thanks.
Ssssh. It's all incriminating evidence that may prove useful to us at some point in the future. ;)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/pinacoladaglass.jpg

^ I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I think the contest vote thread might be seriously delayed.
Judging from the lipstick evidence on that pina colada glass, it looks like he's going to be otherwise occupied... :rasp:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/surfer-2-1.jpg

^ What a show off! :rolleyes:

Romeo has obviously completely forgotten about us. We have been abandoned. :(
I wouldn't be surprised if he never returns. :eek:
I mean, would you? :p

Azrepheal
22nd Oct 2008, 15:30
Is this the latest contest? Photoshop Romeo into Hawaii?

minus0ne
22nd Oct 2008, 22:41
Good luck to everyone, I know I'll need it :D Now say goodbye to the Hawaiian girls already and make with the contest thingie! :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Oct 2008, 23:50
Is this the latest contest? Photoshop Romeo into Hawaii?
No, these pics are from Romeo's personal blog.
With a name like his, who else would wear a t-shirt with big hearts on it? :p

Seriously, these pics are real. :)

I'm sure there will be more pics up soon, when someone finds them.
Right guys? ;)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/mischief.gif

DXeXodus
23rd Oct 2008, 03:40
Big Lol at the blog entries. Haha!

I will set up the poll threads today sometime. I fear we may well have lost our dear Romeo.

*moment of silence*

And moving on.... Keep an eye out for the polls today. It may take me a while to set up.

DXeXodus
23rd Oct 2008, 05:08
POLLS ARE UP. Get voting :)