PDA

View Full Version : Eidos - any chance of a TR CCG computer game please?

ianpwilliams
11th Oct 2008, 07:50
I am a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but I am also a big fan of Customizable Card Games, and in particular turn-based strategy games as I get older and my reactions get slower :P. I recently discovered a Tomb Raider CCG which is based on the original Tomb Raider game.

Cards are made up of different types, such as Location Cards (which make up the level map), Obstacle Cards (creatures and traps which your Raider has to overcome), Item and Trigger Discoveries (secret doors, guns and many other things to discover) and Action cards (played to help the player out). The game is predominantly multi-player (as it could be possible to do in a computer game), but there are also solo rules which work really well, and it is easy to modify other rules to make it even more fun for solo play, as I have done. I believe that the solo version would make an excellent computer game.

The game is now discontinued, but there are over 600 different cards in total, giving a huge amount of variation and therefore very different games every time. The game is very well designed and balanced, and works really well every time.

I believe that Eidos should consider making this CCG into a computer game. Games like Metal Gear Acid 1&2, Marvel Trading Card Game and Warhammer: Battle for Atluma have generally been well received, and a CCG computer featuring Lara Croft would definitely sell really well.

Because there are over 600 cards, there could be a generic animation for each card. For example:

Lara walks into an Uneven Corridor Cave Location. She has to Move or Think her way past a Dart Trap Obstacle. She jumps out of the way with a successful Move. Then she encounters a Bear Creature Obstacle, which she has to Fight or Move. She successfully Fights and kills the Bear, using her Take Aim Action to increase her chances of hitting it. Lara then Searches the area, increasing her chances with her Concentration Action, and discovers a Hidden Exit to the West, which she walks through into the next location.

Each animation could be played after each card was played, or a group of animations could be strung together at the end of a round, or one great big animation could be played out at the end of the whole game, or you could have a combination of the three.

I'm not sure if you are allowed to post links here (feel free to remove it if not), but there is an excellent website which has scans of every single card ever released, which gives you a good idea of how good it looks:

http://trccg.mahasamatman.com/Lists.HTML

TR CCG really is a great game in my opinion, as it's infinitely replayable being different every time, but also very well balanced and engaging, and that's just in solo mode.

I don’t know if Eidos employees visit this forum much (or at all), but I hope they do because I really believe that this could be a really great game for both Tomb Raider fans and Turn-Based Strategy fans alike, and I for one would be more than happy to pay full price for such a computer game.

:)

Treeble
11th Oct 2008, 09:13
I'd totally love to see that, being a lover of the original TR CCG myself, but I just don't see it happenning. :(

I know, though, there are/were some software available on the web that would allow you to play the CCG over the internet. I don't know if these are still working these days, since I never found anyone to play back when I found about it. I have these program files stashed away on some random discs, when I find out their names I'll let you know.

(This might also interest you: if you hop over to www.raiderstorm.com you'll find a custom TR card creator as well as a number of new card concepts.)

ianpwilliams
11th Oct 2008, 09:22
Holy moly! That website is amazing! And 381 cards too! Thanks, I would never have found that site! The cards are great quality too! Of course the only problem is that if I printed all of Big Guns (I have most of Premier, two starters, and am getting Slippery When wet), and printed the custom ones too then I would have around 1000 cards!

rg_001100
11th Oct 2008, 18:24
Wow, that looks pretty cool.

I can't see it happening in the next-gen market, but looks like it would be something cool for PSP or DS...

ianpwilliams
11th Oct 2008, 18:28
Yeah it's a great game. I would highly recommend buying some of the starter decks (and full sets too if you can find them). I am enjoying Metal Gear Acid 1&2 on the PSP, and also have Marvel Trading Card Game and Warhammer : Battle For Atluma to look forward to, so I obviously I would love to see TR CCG on the PSP

fattom
15th Oct 2008, 13:27
I wonder when they will make a flash version of tomb raider. No one plays games these days unless they are Free Online Games (http://www.playedonline.com/)