PDA

View Full Version : First steps towards mechanical augmentation

Jets Connor
10th Oct 2008, 11:29
Reference: http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en.do?pn=tech&articleID=3010829

As of this Friday, elderly and less-mobile Japanese people will be able to rent thought-controlled robotic leg exoskeletons that help them walk. Yoshiyuki Sankai, Chief Executive of the company producing the suit, Cyberdyne (No, really, I'm not making this up), has announced the company is also designing a full-body version to be made available at a date to be advised (currently only one-leg and two-leg models exist).

In addition, Sankai has stated that he has rejected requests by the Military to share the technology, insisting it exists only for social welfare purposes and adding that the next generation model, code named Gundam, will provide physically impaired users with unprecedented levels of mobility. And firepower.

The suits are being produced in several incremental variations depending on user requirement, which may be upgraded. According to Sankai:

"At level one, speed and jumping are increased slightly, while falling damage is reduced.
At level two, speed and jumping are increased moderately, while falling damage is further reduced.
At level three, speed and jumping are increased significantly, while falling damage is substantially reduced.
And at level four, a user can run like the wind and leap from the tallest building."

Concerns have already been raised by others with disability who cannot afford the substantial US$2200 per month to rent the system. One disgruntled citizen, forced to continue using last-generation "rotary limb-substitute" technology, wrote: "Well be sld at flee markets,. old gray golems for scareing the children. So what about my legss? What about my LIFE?"

Other critics have expressed concerns that should the technology become too effective, giving elderly Japanese citizens unrestricted independence and providing unnatural levels of mobility, then they may possess an unfair advantage over more able-bodied people. One well-known industry spokesman warned: "Within the week, there will be electronic old men running the world."

What other steps towards augmentation have you seen in the news?

jordan_a
10th Oct 2008, 11:33
technological advances (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=80061).

Jets Connor
10th Oct 2008, 11:38
Oh, sorry! I didn't realise there was already such a thread.

~Psychotic~
10th Oct 2008, 12:25
"At level one, speed and jumping are increased slightly, while falling damage is reduced.
At level two, speed and jumping are increased moderately, while falling damage is further reduced.
At level three, speed and jumping are increased significantly, while falling damage is substantially reduced.
And at level four, a user can run like the wind and leap from the tallest building."

Isn't that the SAME DAMN DESCRIPTION for the Speed Enhancement Augmentation in Deus Ex? If someone said that then that's such a rip, but at least he's played Deus Ex LOL.

Jets Connor
10th Oct 2008, 22:59
Ok, so I made SOME of it up.

El_Bel
11th Oct 2008, 00:07
Reference: http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en.do?pn=tech&articleID=3010829
The suits are being produced in several incremental variations depending on user requirement, which may be upgraded. According to Sankai:

Concerns have already been raised by others with disability who cannot afford the substantial US$2200 per month to rent the system. One disgruntled citizen, forced to continue using last-generation "rotary limb-substitute" technology, wrote: "Well be sld at flee markets,. old gray golems for scareing the children. So what about my legss? What about my LIFE?"

Other critics have expressed concerns that should the technology become too effective, giving elderly Japanese citizens unrestricted independence and providing unnatural levels of mobility, then they may possess an unfair advantage over more able-bodied people. One well-known industry spokesman warned: "Within the week, there will be electronic old men running the world."

What other steps towards augmentation have you seen in the news?

That was hilarious. Nice job!:thumbsup: