PDA

View Full Version : London BS:P

raston
10th Oct 2008, 10:40
My thanks go to Mike oldman for inviting me along and to hes team members who made me feel welcome from the minute i arrived.
What a day.......force feed things on sticks...drinks readily available and top notch waiting staff never left me alone"would you like some more sir" was all i heard for 3 hours.
AND BS:P single player is more than what has been reported...FAR more.
I didnt get a look at the MP version as they had server problems although i took 1 thing from that when it was explained that it was,nt gamespy hosting.....lets hope it stays that way.

Well,what can i say......
Graphicaly far in advance of BS:M.....islands are coverd in thick dence trees,more like crysis from a distance.
The water effects were superb with shoreline margins heavily defined.
As the water became deeper further of shore it changed colour and looked as tho it WAS getting deeper.
Ship sunk in these shallows stayed there and were visible for the whole map.
The ships themselves have been re touched and seemed to stand out more on screen.
Plane graphics have also been improved with additions like vapour trails from the wing tips and improved plane dynamics when rolling or turning.
The "free"look facility while flying is much improved with a "lock on"to your next target being the most obvious addition.
The rockets were trully awsome but they wont give the flyer supremacey with dogfights as some have forseen belive me.
Various tweeks to the control system are very evident like the damage control,which has done away with the "3 little men" and has been replaced with the "damage control hub" laying out the 4 damage control areas individualy as quaters of a pie which you select individualy from your main screen instaed of moving of to another area .
The way point sysyem has been improved to alow the player to set a target at the end of multiple way point headings.
A night map is definatley on the cards even tho,as along with a lot of other questions i asked,i didnt get a strait clean answer as this also was concering the MP side of the game which they wasnt strictly alowed to talk about.
I only saw 2 maps,PORT MORESBY and LETTE GULF but was very impressed with the layout and make up of both maps.
Map size has definatley been increased and again i asked if this also transferd over to MP but an answer was not given although i was led to believe that,as in the devs own words,"Why put all that work in on the SP and not use it in the MP".

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/Harpoon2008/P1000347.jpg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/Harpoon2008/P1000346.jpg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/Harpoon2008/P1000345.jpg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/Harpoon2008/P1000344.jpg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n417/Harpoon2008/P1000343.jpg

On piky num 2 you will see the better detail on ground instalations and in piky 3 and 4 you may notice the green dots under your machine gun sights,these as we thought represent your bomb loadout.
With piky 3 you will see just 3 dots which displays in this case 3 bombs,
After dropping these green dots turn red and slowly move round like a clock until they are green again showing that your bombs are now "re-charged"
In pik 4 they represent rockets and they re-charge in exactly the same way.
The small dial below and just to the left of your speed gauge is again as we thought a meter to represent your boost power which comes from a POWER Up.
You may also notice on piky 2 on the right hand side of the frame 3 jap planes set up for a kamikaze attack waiting to take off.

We spoke at great lengths about the "tutorial" and i was pleased to see and hear how much imporoved it was giving the new player a greater insight into the set up and control of the game.
Let us hope this greater knowledge transfers over to the MP.
I must say being a complete noob myself with the controls of the X box left me at a great dissadvantage when getting to grips with all the finer points to the game but i felt i picked it up very easily.
The new layout of command screen made it very easy to switch over to launch and dam con screens and still stay in the action.
I will also say that im not too good with a console controller and i most certainly prefer the more hands on feel the pc gives me so i did cut short the devs evident pain in watching me crash repeatedley and gave the controls back to him and watched him finish the level and sink the jap bb.
But not after watching him get wasted a good few times by the much improved and to me,more vicious A.I fire which took its toll in many ways as we have seen and herd from previous reports.
Planes broke up before my eyes and went down with 1 wing,no wings and no tail fin which far improved that feeling of "gotcha ya".
Thats all my grey matter can cope with right now.
I know theres not much NEW info there but i hope i have put a balanced view of the game over to you and have made some players waiting for BS:P a bit happier in the knowledge that its on the way,looking bloody good and will be well worth the wait.

chip5541
10th Oct 2008, 12:28
Good job raston. :thumbsup:

Did you get a chance to switch to cockpit view?

How many showed?

raston
10th Oct 2008, 13:59
Good job raston. :thumbsup:

Did you get a chance to switch to cockpit view?

How many showed?

I did and very eye catching it was lol.....

Just me im affraid.....the only sado. lol

crazyhorse128
10th Oct 2008, 15:22
how long were you on it?

raston
10th Oct 2008, 15:51
how long were you on it?

Just about an hour of playing but about 2 hours watching and listening.

M0n3y
10th Oct 2008, 16:47
i like the new health bar and the graphs look awesome :D

crazyhorse128
10th Oct 2008, 18:18
Did you get to control any other war machines other then panes?

raston
10th Oct 2008, 19:18
Did you get to control any other war machines other then panes?

A cv or 2...and a ca.....but i tryd to stay in the planes as you can see more flying around the tree tops.

Polarshark
10th Oct 2008, 19:49
nice job rston

F4F
11th Oct 2008, 06:54
:D nice job^^

Red October
11th Oct 2008, 14:56
A cv or 2...and a ca.....but i tryd to stay in the planes as you can see more flying around the tree tops.

Did Cvs have secondary guns?

raston
11th Oct 2008, 17:02
Did Cvs have secondary guns?

I cant say yes or no im affraid......you cant take it all in with just an hour or so which is a sod.
I did see 2nd guns on the transport ships tho.
I will add........ it was made clear to me that the dd will not be able to shadow a sub like they do now,it should be,,,DROP DC...get a look and yr back on deck.

Red October
11th Oct 2008, 18:44
I cant say yes or no im affraid......you cant take it all in with just an hour or so which is a sod.
I will add........ it was made clear to me that the dd will not be able to shadow a sub like they do now,it should be,,,DROP DC...get a look and yr back on deck.

Oooh :rolleyes: sounds nice.

crazyhorse128
11th Oct 2008, 21:54
I was a little bit bored so I was picking random pages on the members list and I found a BS:M developer: Rfx (http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=76768) and he/she was last active yesterday :cool:

LORD BLACKFIRE
12th Oct 2008, 01:50

That will only help if the DD can't spam depth charges like they can now.

chip5541
12th Oct 2008, 05:55
I was a little bit bored so I was picking random pages on the members list and I found a BS:M developer: Rfx (http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=76768) and he/she was last active yesterday :cool:

Well, I have to say I told you all so. There actually are a couple of developers for the Battlestations series that read what everyone has to say.

crazyhorse128
12th Oct 2008, 07:24
ive seen 'Eidos Hungary' online before, but never Rfx

LORD BLACKFIRE
12th Oct 2008, 13:08
That will only help if the DD can't spam depth charges like they can now.

And also if there is no free look when the view switches to depth charge perspective. If you can still turn the camera underwater and you can still spam depth charges then you should be able to shadow a sub.

Hopefully the devs have figured that out and locked the view. I wouldn't mind if there was a limit on depth charges either, or at least a recharge time after say 12 or 16 charges.

It3llig3nc3
12th Oct 2008, 15:35
Well, I have to say I told you all so. There actually are a couple of developers for the Battlestations series that read what everyone has to say.

Yes. I know this "Rfx" guy and had the opportuity to meet him in person, when I was on the focus group testing. He and the others were very up to date about what is happening on this forum. They read and remember. He quoted me my own post from 2007! I'm sure they would be more active here had the EIDOS HQ allow them to do so...