PDA

View Full Version : An anchor point for AJ, "home"

Kohtalo
10th Oct 2008, 08:34
I hope this hasn't been discussed before.

I was just thinking about the differences between the first game and IW, and one thing I really missed was the feeling - or immersion - of being a real life working person.

In Deus Ex JC took orders from UNATCO and was paid for completing his missions. UNATCO HQ was also a safehouse, a home, for JC. Visiting the HQ on a regular basis made it feel very much more real. You felt being a part of the organization, not just some boy-scout-Alex scouting the streets and wandering around.

There were many similar moments when you had an anchor point of some sort, for example the Ton Hotel, Tracer Tong's compound and even Paul's apartment in Hong Kong. All those were great elements in boosting up the immersion of real life.

I really hope there will be a place to call "home" in some way. Just a familiar location you visit once in a while and chill. This actually brings me another matter in mind.

When you've grown accustomed to the HQ, it will be "taken away" from you after the MJ12 revelation etc. It was one of the best moments in the game when you felt sad having to leave UNATCO behind. So this "home" can also be used to add more emotion to the gaming experience.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has thought about this matter..

And sorry for the bad english, not my native language :)

imported_van_HellSing
10th Oct 2008, 08:39
Yup, no place like home. That's one of the things I loved about Thief 3 - the relaxing moments at Garrett's apartment, accompanied by the mellow synth music...

ThatDeadDude
10th Oct 2008, 09:03
Yeah, some sort of hub-based design would be cool. It would get kind of old if you went back to the same place after EVERY mission, but it would help you feel that the place is real, and provide a chance to really get to know some of the other characters.

rynn taylor
10th Oct 2008, 10:51
I agree with ThatDeadDude: it makes the world feel lived in and more real. Having locations that you revisted - such as UNATCO and Hell's Kitchen - that were detailed and had things change each time you came back was one of the great things about DX1. I would rather explore a small number of highly detailed locations than only visit a number of less detailed locations once.

Big Orange
10th Oct 2008, 13:35
The loboratory building that gets raided at the start of the game could be a major hub area for the first quarter of the game, although it would be cool that the PMC company that directly employs you has it's own compound that you spend much of the game in as well, with your own living quarters, shooting range, and vehicle bay (imagine UNATCO headquarters, but more corporate and with better graphical detail). I'd say Adam Jensen is the type to have several safehouses like Paul Denton.

Voltaire
10th Oct 2008, 16:21
This idea of a home map is a good one, if done well. I recall the intermittent "aboard the spaceship with the motley crew" levels that were crowbarred between the levels of Unreal II. Shockingly wooden.

Icky6
10th Oct 2008, 16:40
Wow this is a great point brought up here. When I think about it, I really liked the fact that you had a base of operations, and that where that was changed as the game progressed. Really good point.

Mr. Perfect
10th Oct 2008, 21:16
Yes, this did work well in Thief 3. I kind of wish it had a bigger role in the game, it didn't come up to much.

It might be hard to explain though. In a world where the government, and lots of other people, are literally in your head, it won't be to hard to find a safehouse.

K^2
11th Oct 2008, 03:05
although it would be cool that the PMC company that directly employs you has it's own compound that you spend much of the game in as well
I was under the impression that it was a private security company. Or are you implying a small difference between the two in the DX setting?

jordan_a
11th Oct 2008, 10:05
Don't you think it could be too "GTA"?

Tracer Tong
11th Oct 2008, 11:06
Again, it could be nice, if done well. I simply don't see a plot where AJ has to return to some hub every day, whereas JC did.

I simply can't make a plot up, wrap it around the currently known details and find a place that AJ returns to. (he seems pretty lonely and my thoughts revolve around solo missions only)

Big Orange
11th Oct 2008, 22:34
I was under the impression that it was a private security company. Or are you implying a small difference between the two in the DX setting?

The latter, since Blackwater provided domestic security for private property in the New Orleans debacle and other more obscure PMCs routinely provide security for VIPs anywhere, and since this is near future Cyberpunk, important security companies would have access to military hardware and also have ex-special forces people on their payrole by default.

TrickyVein
12th Oct 2008, 01:47
This idea of a home map is a good one, if done well. I recall the intermittent "aboard the spaceship with the motley crew" levels that were crowbarred between the levels of Unreal II. Shockingly wooden.

This is the only reason that I play Unreal II again and again intermittently. I don't like even going on the missions, I just like poking around the cabins and talking to Isaak and the like. Ship life was so...chill

If AJ is a bodyguard type employed by a corp, then this is inevitable. (you would think.)