PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art

Icky6
9th Oct 2008, 17:22
Please, let's not have Adam pointing a gun right in our faces. DX1 had very nice box art in my opinion, emphasized the conspiracy feel and night-time setting of the game.

Bluey71
9th Oct 2008, 18:14
Please, let's not have Adam pointing a gun right in our faces. DX1 had very nice box art in my opinion, emphasized the conspiracy feel and night-time setting of the game.

Yes. I got PC Zone today and the more I look at the cover, the more I like it.
(The cover shot is the same shot we have already seen of Adam - just flipped over so that he is looking in the other direction.) Something close to this I think would be ideal - what do others think.

René
9th Oct 2008, 20:33
Yes. I got PC Zone today and the more I look at the cover, the more I like it.
(The cover shot is the same shot we have already seen of Adam - just flipped over so that he is looking in the other direction.) Something close to this I think would be ideal - what do others think.

http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_205564.jpg

Icky6
9th Oct 2008, 20:48
Yeah I agree, Adam actually does have a really good look to him. Still, for the box art - and I admit it's difficult to not reference the box art of DX1 justbecause it's DX1 - but I truly think that the original's was indicitave of game style, while not shouting ACTION at us... because it wasn't primarily an action game.

Icky6
9th Oct 2008, 20:49
Oh I'm sorry, I was referring to the box art when the game itself comes out... magazine cover looks cool though!

Igoe
9th Oct 2008, 21:09
I very much loved the DX1 boxart. Not that the boxart means anything other than being a superficial label you see before you tear open the box for the goodness inside. I do however very much believe that the initial impressions of a game are decided before the game is played.

Setting the mood shouldn't be ignored, and while something as trivial as boxart isn't TERRIBLY important my personal preference would be to NOT have the protagonist toting an Abercrombie and Fitch model smirk whilst pointing gun at my face.

ZylonBane
9th Oct 2008, 21:30
I'd say that the box art of a game is a good indicator of how much influence the marketing department had over the game as a whole. See: Invisible War and Bioshock, with their respective obnoxious "In yo FACE!" box art.

The fact that people even remember the box art for the original Deus Ex after all these years speaks volumes.

Icky6
9th Oct 2008, 23:01
Agreed.

jc_lemon_lime
10th Oct 2008, 01:16
i think that box art is a lot like the cover of a book: you shouldn't use it judge the contents, but if it's well, or poorly done it can do alot to attract or repell a person browsing though a store.

that said, it would be neat to see a nod or throwback to deus ex's iconic cover image

~Psychotic~
10th Oct 2008, 01:30
i think that box art is a lot like the cover of a book: you shouldn't use it judge the contents, but if it's well, or poorly done it can do alot to attract or repell a person browsing though a store.

that said, it would be neat to see a nod or throwback to deus ex's iconic cover image

I've played some decent games with crappy box cover art. But I do like good cover art and good packaging, just a personal preference really.

jordan_a
10th Oct 2008, 01:34
Hey that's an interesting subject, do the best games have nice covers? 'Haven't ever paid any attention in that.

DXeXodus
10th Oct 2008, 04:17
I wouldn't mind at all if the box art is simply that picture of Adam posted above.

3nails4you
10th Oct 2008, 04:26
Speaking of which, anyone know where in the states I can get the magazine? I have very limited car access, so shopping around isn't much of an option...Barnes & Noble? Target? Thanks guys.

ThatDeadDude
10th Oct 2008, 09:00
Given the tendency in what I've seen of that PC Zone article to have connections to the Renaissance, I think an interesting idea for box art could be a modification of the good ol' Vitruvian Man, with Adam's face, and the limbs augmented. And in blue, rather than parchment tones.