PDA

View Full Version : A request

Obscuritan
9th Oct 2008, 12:09
I read the "Deus Ex 3 - The Facts" thread, and in some ways am relieved to hear that a number of the fears I've had about the game have been quashed.

I suppose you could call me a "hardcore" gamer. I consider the first Deus Ex to be one of my favorite games and will continue to play it. I'm making this thread because if the devs read it, and ignore it, and the game isn't what I'm looking for, at least I'll know that I voiced my opinion and was ignored.

I want to request a few things of the development team for the game:

1) Make auto-healing optional. It can't be difficult to slap together a medkit model, place them along with other loot in the game and only make them spawn in the game if auto-healing is turned off. I don't care if you use the limb-damage system or not - It'd be nice, but a simple health bar along with medkits I can take with me would be lovely. I'm sure that this solution would be a welcome compromise between the folks who believe that the industry has "grown up" and those who want adherence to a system some would call obsolete.

2) It's probably too late to ask now, but the reason I loved the story of Deus Ex 1 was partially that everything was really well anchored, in my opinion, to the present. I could relate to the themes talked about in the first game, as opposed to Invisible War, which was just a little too sci-fi, and grated with me. I suppose being set before the first game would make this easier, and I'd certainly welcome story elements and themes discussed in the game being closely related to modern politics and conspiracy theories.

3) I'd like to ask that the team re-examine the stealth system (and I'm sure many have already complained about it). I understand the "line of sight + sound" system, but I don't consider the problem that was in Deus Ex 1's stealth system, of being able to sit 3 feet in front of a guy and not be spotted, to be a problem. I don't think it'd be too much effort to put in a distance check into the AI, which automatically detects you or makes the NPC say "hey, what's that?" and come closer. Being able to hide in the shadows was cool, and I want to be able to sit somewhere dark and observe enemy patrols.

4) Don't make the same mistake that Epic did with Unreal Tournament 3: A console game's options menu is smaller than a PC game's one. We want specific video options. I want a big options list. A lot of hardcore PC gamers love tweaking little things about their game. If you can put something in as an option, why not? I guess this is pretty vague, but it's the sort of thing that I like to see.

Everything else sounds pretty good. I'm glad to hear that the focus on non-linear problem solving is still present. This is what I want out of a Deus Ex game, or any FPS/RPG type game for that matter. It's about good map design, allowing the player to take multiple paths to reach his goal. It's about choices having consequences, and it's about rewarding exploration (in my eyes).

I'm not sure if I'll remember to check this thread, and I don't expect to get any special response from the team lead or anything. I just wanted to voice my concerns. I believe that if something can be made as an optional feature, why not? The answer is obviously "time = money", but I can tell you that I'm much happier to support the work of a development group that has its head screwed on, its ear to the floor and puts their craft ahead of sheer profiteering.

Thanks for reading,
Obscuritan

~Psychotic~
9th Oct 2008, 13:53
I read the "Deus Ex 3 - The Facts" thread, and in some ways am relieved to hear that a number of the fears I've had about the game have been quashed.

I suppose you could call me a "hardcore" gamer. I consider the first Deus Ex to be one of my favorite games and will continue to play it. I'm making this thread because if the devs read it, and ignore it, and the game isn't what I'm looking for, at least I'll know that I voiced my opinion and was ignored.

I could call myself a hardcore gamer, doesn't make it true, also doesn't mean your opinions will be heard over all others. I read heavily into the background of video games, doesn't mean I know best though.

You however, aren't saying that, but I'm just saying, being a "hardcore" gamer doesn't mean jack in the end. And I wouldn't "request" these as I would suggest them. That's all they are, suggestions, the dev team won't listen to the request of one person but more likely, of a group of people.

1) Make auto-healing optional. It can't be difficult to slap together a medkit model, place them along with other loot in the game and only make them spawn in the game if auto-healing is turned off. I don't care if you use the limb-damage system or not - It'd be nice, but a simple health bar along with medkits I can take with me would be lovely. I'm sure that this solution would be a welcome compromise between the folks who believe that the industry has "grown up" and those who want adherence to a system some would call obsolete.

I want this myself but the problem with having it is, as my mate pointed out today, people will know it's there. So they'll either want it on or off and if they find a part really hard they'll change and may "forget" to turn it off. Best way around that, IMO, is to make a option only available at the start of the game, to ether have auto-healing or medkits.

3) I'd like to ask that the team re-examine the stealth system (and I'm sure many have already complained about it). I understand the "line of sight + sound" system, but I don't consider the problem that was in Deus Ex 1's stealth system, of being able to sit 3 feet in front of a guy and not be spotted, to be a problem. I don't think it'd be too much effort to put in a distance check into the AI, which automatically detects you or makes the NPC say "hey, what's that?" and come closer. Being able to hide in the shadows was cool, and I want to be able to sit somewhere dark and observe enemy patrols.

This is worked by a line-of-sight method. Which is more realistic but we can't tell what the length of an AI's line of sight will be. But yes, I hope they add some AI intuitive (and better waypoints) in the game as well for more of a challenge.

4) Don't make the same mistake that Epic did with Unreal Tournament 3: A console game's options menu is smaller than a PC game's one. We want specific video options. I want a big options list. A lot of hardcore PC gamers love tweaking little things about their game. If you can put something in as an option, why not? I guess this is pretty vague, but it's the sort of thing that I like to see.

I agree, I love tweaking my video options in games, and even my PC in general. Also, PLEASE MAKE THE GAME PLAYABLE ON OLD PC'S LOL. I have a crap one but I still want to play it (graphics mean NOTHING to me, only gameplay and storyline).

I also see more and more developers leading players to editing the INI config files instead. While editing it potentially gives the same results as having a list of options it's by no means convenient for the user and not every gamer out there is going to know, or care, what the hell an "INI" file is. I know what it is, doesn't mean the rest of the community do though.