PDA

View Full Version : Some new/old info on BS:P

It3llig3nc3
8th Oct 2008, 16:52
There was an article published on a local Hungarian site about BS:P.
http://pcdome.hu/cikk/2320/battlestations_pacific_pc

Since it's in Hungarian but nicely sums up many discussion we were having about the game recently here is a rough translation of the infos.

Single Player campaign - twice as much as in Midway: 14 US missions and 14 Japanese.
US Side follows the events from where Midway left off until the end of the war. The Japanese campaign takes a fictional route in order to avoid "defense only" missions played by the Japanese in the real war after 1942.

Missions planned to have 1-2 hours playtime, which is not surprising given the map size of 20km * 20km. [BSM had 10x10maps I guess - the translator]. There will be 20-30 minutes checkpoints with autosave included.

Engine has been improved: transparent water, more details on dry grounds, HDR effects. Ship model improved, they can break, fall apart during huge explosions.
Unlike in BS:M where missions were only happening at daylight be prepared for night missions and the weather is going to play part as well. [hmmm. storms??? - the translator]

EIDOS designers decided to give up some reality in order to improve the playability.
Recharging weapos will be added so rockets on planes re-charge after a certain period of time for example.
There will be a brand new addition to unit behavior compared to Midway: POWER UPs. Planes having power ups will be capable of flying faster for a period of time, ships can get repaired quicker, entire map becomes visible for a while, etc...
There will be unit unlocks so as we progress in the campaign bigger and better units will be available for the missions. This will improve replayability since those unlocked units will be available from the beginning at a re-start. So imagine to start the campaign in 1942 with units that showed up only at the end of the war...

Kamikazes will be available and even shoot down planes falling on friendly (or enemy) ships can cause serious damage.

The control interface has been improved - for example there won't be a separate screen for REPAIRs, it will show up as a pop-up menu (ala Crysis nano suit selections...).

Islands takes part in the game - we can occupy them by sending out soldiers in boats. Even Battleships can help out by shooting down enemies defending the island from the distance. (watch for friendly fire...)

There will be recon planes available from certain ships taking off from a catapult [YES, CAs for example].

For planes a new cockpit view will be available with a "free look around" function.

Not a lot have been revealed about multiplayer except the fact that there will be versions for multiple tastes: action and strategy oriented as well.

BS:P will be released for PC and XBOX360. The PS3 version is NOT going to come this time due to complexities migrating the game to the new platform.

The game is in a PRE-BETA state, there will be long months before every loose end is tied up.

The team has every chance to overdo what they acomplised with BS:M. Success is inevitable.

Credits:

Original article written by:
DINO

EIDOS contributors:
Attila Söröss - EIDOS Hungary Studio Manager
János Gáspár - Senior Designer

chip5541
8th Oct 2008, 17:59
Nice post and I love the indication .... Fog or War!!:thumbsup:

Polarshark
8th Oct 2008, 22:38
nice job guys

keep up the good work of giving us up-to-date info on BSP

can't wait

SICK i went to the website and looked at the picture of the sub

water is transparent and i saw a CORAL REEF or something like that

awesome game

watty14
9th Oct 2008, 07:02
SICK i went to the website and looked at the picture of the sub

water is transparent and i saw a CORAL REEF or something like that

awesome game

did you notice the shipwreck in the background :D

crazyhorse128
9th Oct 2008, 15:31
no longer are there ghost crews on submarines >http://pcdome.hu/image.php?image=/gallery/3448/image13.jpg&caption=

Polarshark
9th Oct 2008, 23:09
no longer are there gost crews on submarines >http://pcdome.hu/image.php?image=/gallery/3448/image13.jpg&caption=

cool i see those jap officers too

but i wonder what happens if the sub submerge

will the sailors have to go inside the hull and you'll have to wait until they're in the sub or drown them to death

but i think it'll most likely that the sailors will be gone if u submerge and come back if you surface

or there might be just a hole under them for them to go into:scratch:

Captcaboose
24th Oct 2008, 22:59
Recharging weapos will be added so rockets on planes re-charge after a certain period of time for example.
There will be a brand new addition to unit behavior compared to Midway: POWER UPs. Planes having power ups will be capable of flying faster for a period of time, ships can get repaired quicker, entire map becomes visible for a while, etc...

i think those are kind'ove stupid and pointless if they kept the planes at regular speed and no recharging weapons itll make the game harder= more fun and seing the whole map for a while ruins the fun of a surprise attack

Polarshark
25th Oct 2008, 03:40

i think those are kind'ove stupid and pointless if they kept the planes at regular speed and no recharging weapons itll make the game harder= more fun and seing the whole map for a while ruins the fun of a surprise attack

well i guess power ups are kinda fun

hopefully there'll be a button to activate and de-activate them

u know to be mroe reliastic

sstoffels
25th Oct 2008, 20:39
ok re chargeing weapens and power ups are cool but you need to have a option that turns them off like if you are the host or something cause that just is not like battlesations to have all this fakie stuff.

It3llig3nc3
25th Oct 2008, 21:54
I understand that it's quite difficult to grasp the concept of the "power-up"s only in theory. Nobody really had the chance to try this out - except the developers who decided to include them in the game. I only got a few minutes of try during the focus group test and they looked OK to me.

As we said before: power-ups were not added because of tweaking with the "realism" of WWII planes or ships. It was added to IMPROVE PLAYABILITY of the action part of the game. BS:P is balancing on the fine line between a strategy and action game. This feature is emphasizing the action part directly. Many players won't mind to have them.

However - think about them from the strategical point of view. Power-ups are nothing more or less but ADVANTAGE options for the side actually having them. So the real question is not if the server host can turn them on and off. That would be too easy.
The question is: how can you get a hold on power-ups. And if you look at from this point of view the strategic questions comes:
- how can you have MORE than your enemy?
- how can you prevent your enemy having them at all?
As soon as you look at things like this it's nothing more than a resource on the battlefield - and you MUST deal with it during your fight. Tactic and counter-tactic. This is the strategic angle... ...and as a "reward" if you like: once you got it, you can try it real time by yourself!

Learn not to write off ideas! Learn to play with them and put them into perspective! It is way too easy to kill an idea - even a good one. Not only here but in your everyday life.

General_Snipe77
26th Oct 2008, 04:59
There was an article published on a local Hungarian site about BS:P.
http://pcdome.hu/cikk/2320/battlestations_pacific_pc

Since it's in Hungarian but nicely sums up many discussion we were having about the game recently here is a rough translation of the infos.

Single Player campaign - twice as much as in Midway: 14 US missions and 14 Japanese.
US Side follows the events from where Midway left off until the end of the war. The Japanese campaign takes a fictional route in order to avoid "defense only" missions played by the Japanese in the real war after 1942.

Missions planned to have 1-2 hours playtime, which is not surprising given the map size of 20km * 20km. [BSM had 10x10maps I guess - the translator]. There will be 20-30 minutes checkpoints with autosave included.

Engine has been improved: transparent water, more details on dry grounds, HDR effects. Ship model improved, they can break, fall apart during huge explosions.
Unlike in BS:M where missions were only happening at daylight be prepared for night missions and the weather is going to play part as well. [hmmm. storms??? - the translator]

EIDOS designers decided to give up some reality in order to improve the playability.
There will be unit unlocks so as we progress in the campaign bigger and better units will be available for the missions. This will improve replayability since those unlocked units will be available from the beginning at a re-start. So imagine to start the campaign in 1942 with units that showed up only at the end of the war...

Kamikazes will be available and even shoot down planes falling on friendly (or enemy) ships can cause serious damage.

The control interface has been improved - for example there won't be a separate screen for REPAIRs, it will show up as a pop-up menu (ala Crysis nano suit selections...).

Islands takes part in the game - we can occupy them by sending out soldiers in boats. Even Battleships can help out by shooting down enemies defending the island from the distance. (watch for friendly fire...)

There will be recon planes available from certain ships taking off from a catapult [YES, CAs for example].

For planes a new cockpit view will be available with a "free look around" function.

Not a lot have been revealed about multiplayer except the fact that there will be versions for multiple tastes: action and strategy oriented as well.

BS:P will be released for PC and XBOX360. The PS3 version is NOT going to come this time due to complexities migrating the game to the new platform.

The game is in a PRE-BETA state, there will be long months before every loose end is tied up.

The team has every chance to overdo what they acomplised with BS:M. Success is inevitable.

Credits:

Original article written by:
DINO

EIDOS contributors:
Attila Söröss - EIDOS Hungary Studio Manager
János Gáspár - Senior Designer

YES!! i have always wanted to use he catapults on the cruisers and battleships!! I fyou are moving youe ship somewhere far, you can occupy yourself with a plane! :D :D :D :D

Polarshark
26th Oct 2008, 22:47
YES!! i have always wanted to use he catapults on the cruisers and battleships!! I fyou are moving youe ship somewhere far, you can occupy yourself with a plane! :D :D :D :D

they're practically just scouts for your ship

no need to get all excited

ClarenceTheTorpedoGuy
27th Oct 2008, 04:44
I remembered hearing once that you can capture some buildings on the islands like radar stations, gun batteries so can it be that the 'powerups' are the abilities of these buildings i.e. Radar Installation=reveal whole map for 30 secs. Port Facility= repair ships FAST :confused:

tc2324
27th Oct 2008, 08:29
I hope they give you the option of turning off the power ups and recharge of weapons? One of the great things about BSM was that you had to factor in the times that your aircraft turned up on target and if your aircraft only had one bomb/torpedo then so be it and you had to use it wisely.

If you `speed` to a target, attack it and then loiter over a target knowing that your rockets/bombs/torpedo are going to respawn again, whats the point of planning tactics and stratagy?

A big mistake me thinks!

It3llig3nc3
27th Oct 2008, 10:41
tc2324, you obviously did not read my post #10 here.
You say: "whats the point of planning tactics and stratagy?"

In my opinion as long as the rules of the engagement are clear and understood tactics and strategy will have to deal with the situations accordingly. You have to factor in the power-ups into your thinking. That's it!

Let's be honest: in a war you can't just stop and say that the enemy is using "unallowed" tactics! Think about the KAMIKAZEs Japan introduced. US was in a dire situation but they managed it and dealt with it in many ways. Think about Halsey's "Big Blue Blanket" campaigns... [at strategic moments the US carrier air force used it's superiority in AIR to blockade any Jap plane trying to take off]

There is only one way I can read your comment that makes sense: if you are arguing about the REALITY vs. the game, the power-ups are hard to explain. But then don't connect it with strategy and tactics.

Finally, it has also been said at many times that power-ups in BS:P are for improving PLAYABILITY for action oriented gamers...

tc2324
27th Oct 2008, 14:06
I thought thats what I was saying.... :)

My comments were in terms of reality. I`m concerned this game will turn into some kind of Ace Combat format where you can never run out of weapons.

I personally don`t see the fun, lets say, in launching a Corsair fighter bomber, then useing my `power up` to fly at `mach 1` to the target then sit over said target for 20 minutes launching rocket after rocket as soon as they respawn. This is where my comment on tactics comes in. If I know I can send one aircraft into a combat zone to do the job then where do the tactics and stratagy come into play.

Prehaps I`m reading into this too much from whats been said. All I know is that one of the fundimental factors for BSM`s success was its simplicity. Improving the game with better graphics, more units, the way ships sink, etc etc, is one thing. Adding unreal add-on`s will in my opinion, and remember it is only my opinion, ruin the atmosphere of the game.

For gamers who prefer the `playability` side of things and welcome the add-ons, then great. But for old timers like me who like the pureity of the original, why not include a on-off feature for us??

It3llig3nc3
28th Oct 2008, 08:11
Well, if I have the choice I also prefer "pureity of the original" as you put it.
Perhaps I do not seem overly concerned as I had the chance to see bits and pieces of what this power-up really means. It's not that extreme as you would imagine.

Circiling around the target zone assuming weapons are going to re-charge could be a strategy, but honestly it won't really work on the long run. Even in BS:M being able to save planes after an attack is a tough job. Other than the single player missions I'm not even sure how useful these kind of things will be on the long run... :)

LORD BLACKFIRE
28th Oct 2008, 10:27
So long as it's not in multiplayer or can be turned off I don't care.

generyx
28th Oct 2008, 18:53

No, I don't like "Power Ups" in a "War Game"! I prefer a "realistic" scenario. It sounds kinda.....ahm....."strange" to me! I am 40 years old, I don't need this casual gamer stuff in a WW2-game......lame!!!!!
:mad2:
t

Polarshark
28th Oct 2008, 19:00
No, I don't like "Power Ups" in a "War Game"! I prefer a "realistic" scenario. It sounds kinda.....ahm....."strange" to me! I am 40 years old, I don't need this casual gamer stuff in a WW2-game......lame!!!!!
:mad2:
t

but the devs thought that it would be a good addition to enhance the gameplay's action

strategy/action game

but don't wry 100% there'll be a mode where they'll be turned off

It3llig3nc3
28th Oct 2008, 20:07
Sorry guys, but it's so funny how we are going in circles over and over again.

Strategy focused people don't want to understand the needs for Action oriented players and back. This is why the Battlestations series is so contradicting. It's a blend of two styles and the DEVs are in control how the blend is going to work out.

You also need to remember that while you all represent a single person's point of view the DEV team represents 50 something people, not to mention the various focus groups and interviews they made and studied during the concept design phase.

What you see as a result is the "optimized" mix - so to speak the majority's voice. For any developer it is critical to please the major part of the crowd since that's what is going to generate more revenue.

I personally do not care if let's say POWER-UPs are switchable or not. If some of you are going to make the purchase decision on this particular detail, it's up to you. Catch is if you gonna make an uneducated decision (e.g. reject it before even trying it) or you give it a chance...

Polarshark
29th Oct 2008, 01:50
Sorry guys, but it's so funny how we are going in circles over and over again.

Strategy focused people don't want to understand the needs for Action oriented players and back. This is why the Battlestations series is so contradicting. It's a blend of two styles and the DEVs are in control how the blend is going to work out.

You also need to remember that while you all represent a single person's point of view the DEV team represents 50 something people, not to mention the various focus groups and interviews they made and studied during the concept design phase.

What you see as a result is the "optimized" mix - so to speak the majority's voice. For any developer it is critical to please the major part of the crowd since that's what is going to generate more revenue.

I personally do not care if let's say POWER-UPs are switchable or not. If some of you are going to make the purchase decision on this particular detail, it's up to you. Catch is if you gonna make an uneducated decision (e.g. reject it before even trying it) or you give it a chance...

that's why there are DEMOS :D :D :D

generyx
29th Oct 2008, 07:45
but the devs thought that it would be a good addition to enhance the gameplay's action

strategy/action game

but don't wry 100% there'll be a mode where they'll be turned off

I will buy it anyway! Even if there will be Japanese Ninja-Sharks in it ;)

It3llig3nc3
29th Oct 2008, 10:17
Indeed, DEMOS! Right on the point.
On the "dark" side I recall we have a topic somewhere discussing what should be included in the BS:P demo - SP or MP? So... This might or might not be the answer...
:cool:

Polarshark
2nd Nov 2008, 02:54
i hope they have all of the multiplayer modes for singleplayer too

cause some people might have bad internet connection.

and they prefer try the multiplayer modes and they can fight against the AI alone

and i wonder what news we'll get for november

hope it comes very soon

banereaver
2nd Nov 2008, 14:43
this power up thing is very stupid as is the respawning weapons, although you say this is for the action oriented people all i think is console idiot. all the people that are commenting here in this thread are people that are obviously enthusiastic about the series, people the DEV's should be catering for, and so far only 1 person is saying that they dont mind power ups, 1 person doesnt care and everyone is praying that the functions can be turned off, especially in multiplayer. games are getting dumber and dumber catering for 12 yr olds that complain when something is too hard or when they are beaten by someone that uses their brain.

the reason the first game wasnt played much after a couple months on the PC was because, the lack of game modes, maps, multiplayer ai and fixed starting positions that meant that after you had played a map once you could memorise how to play it and if you was on a team with a person you played with regularly you could never lose, which in turn made the game boring.

so the way they fix the problem of people flying there planes into the ocean/ground after they use the bombs to get new planes faster is to make the weapons respawn.... this is bull****! why not just make it so that you have access to less planes so that people dont waste them, it wasnt hard to keep your planes alive coz after they did their mission they went straight back to there carrier/runway and you could escort them with fighters, if a player controlled those fighters it was very easy to keep your bombers and torpedo planes in the air.

this game is being turned from a strategic/action naval warfare game that was semi-realistic to an arcade aircraft game very loosely based on the events and weapons of WWII. this is increasing playability for the crowd of brain dead action/arcade gamers, but the people that enjoyed the games strategy wont feel like buying it as much so it isnt helping revenue at all. playability doesnt increase revenue as much as keeping the original fans happy and expanding from there.

Polarshark
2nd Nov 2008, 19:14
never know some people may not like it to be completely realistic
and are looking for some new additions

by the way any news on the multiplayer modes playable
on singleplayer vs AI?

battleshipman
2nd Nov 2008, 20:37
so the way they fix the problem of people flying there planes into the ocean/ground after they use the bombs to get new planes faster is to make the weapons respawn.... this is bull! why not just make it so that you have access to less planes so that people dont waste them, it wasnt hard to keep your planes alive coz after they did their mission they went straight back to there carrier/runway and you could escort them with fighters, if a player controlled those fighters it was very easy to keep your bombers and torpedo planes in the air.

Fighters are NOT the only thing that can take out your planes. Flying 4 squads of torpedo planes into the AA guns of the enemy fleet can cost you every plane, before or after the torpedos are released. Not much fighters can do to help there.

And for the record I HATE the idea of powerups in multi-player.

Red October
2nd Nov 2008, 20:49
Mabey they counted the the faster planes and regenerating weapons with more relistic AA on the ships. Also i doubt the weapons are going to regenerate that fast, usally if a key ship is being attacked by planes, by the second wave comes the ship will have air support.

Dremora Warlord
3rd Nov 2008, 02:14
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I must agree: I HATE the idea of power-ups. I don't believe we ever mentioned them in the focus group... Maybe we should have covered it.

It3llig3nc3
3rd Nov 2008, 14:01
Problem with this forum is that most of the people participating in this dicussion are strategy focused and judge this game and what we know about it accordingly. Unfortunately this is not the representation of the general crowd.

Furthermore it is a very difficult exercise to judge a concept in theory.

All in all I say what I said before: this power-up thing is not that bad and really shakes up the multiplayer game - believe it or not.

Finally an interesting note for "realism" fans: when talking to the DEVS (actually designers to be more precise) they said that in BS:M they had to decide to slow the airplanes down, so ship AA has some chance to shoot them down. So in the game airplane relative speed to ships is absolutely not realistic. I'm saying this as you would never realize (as I didn't either before) how many "tiny" things has to be debated and decided so the final product is in fact PLAYABLE for an AVERAGE person.
You tend to forget that this game is not made for the "history buffs" or "realism buffs" or the "strategic RTS expert buffs" but for an average "joe" - simply because they outnumber us specialists so finally they mean more $$$.

M0n3y
3rd Nov 2008, 16:48
And for the record I HATE the idea of powerups in multi-player.

Double That!

It3llig3nc3
3rd Nov 2008, 16:52
Double That!

Sad and sorry since you do not even know what you hate! :mad2: :nut:

battleshipman
4th Nov 2008, 02:03

I know what I hate POWERUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've played console games that had them and they totally ruined the game for me. I personally dont see the place for them in any multi-player game.

Polarshark
4th Nov 2008, 02:11
singleplayer= allright
multiplayer= big no

people just want this game to be realistic

they don't want to see planes flying faster and see them get free powerups

but the GOOD thing is that there is a skirmish mdoe where you can use powerups on

so all you arcade people can probably enjoy it alone without having people yell at ya

M0n3y
5th Nov 2008, 11:53
I know what I hate POWERUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've played console games that had them and they totally ruined the game for me. I personally dont see the place for them in any multi-player game.
Double That Again!

i know what i hate...Noobs, Battlestations: Modern Day & PowerUps! :D

It3llig3nc3
5th Nov 2008, 13:15
You guys must have a miserable life if you decide to hate things before you even try them. That is so short sighted... :nut:

battleshipman
6th Nov 2008, 08:36
You guys must have a miserable life if you decide to hate things before you even try them. That is so short sighted... :nut:

:rolleyes: OK lets try this again 1. I have played games with powerups before. 2. So far I have not liked ANY of the games I played that had them. 3. This game should have stayed about stratey not "OMG get to teh powerups first!!!!!!!!!!!". 4. Not everyone going to like everything about this game, you can't change that you'll just have to deal with it. 5. I had no idea my life would be made miserable by hateing a feature in game but oh well if thats whats going to happen so be it.:mad:

-Incline-
6th Nov 2008, 13:18
I hate the idea of power ups as much as anyone. I understand that you have to "cater to the masses"....But for the love of God, don't screw us dedicated fans.

Hopefully it's an offline-only thing....Or at the very least, let there be a host option to disable it.

dark_angel_7
6th Nov 2008, 19:21
Remember Eidos is a business which needs money and in-coming cash from currently selling games. BS:M didnt do so well commercially but Eidos gave it a sequel anyway. If BS:P doesnt do well then I doubt Eidos will give it a sequel, especially considering its bad financial state ATM.

Anyway found this:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/690716/Battlestations_Pacific_Japanese_Trailer.html

My feed showed it as "new". I'm sure I've seen it though. :confused:

SuperE
7th Nov 2008, 02:30
Maybe we should make a commercial for the makers of Battlestations to give them a hand for sales so they can make another awsome game.

chip5541
7th Nov 2008, 13:31
Flood youtube!!

chip5541
7th Nov 2008, 13:33
Remember Eidos is a business which needs money and in-coming cash from currently selling games. BS:M didnt do so well commercially but Eidos gave it a sequel anyway. If BS:P doesnt do well then I doubt Eidos will give it a sequel, especially considering its bad financial state ATM.

Anyway found this:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/690716/Battlestations_Pacific_Japanese_Trailer.html

My feed showed it as "new". I'm sure I've seen it though. :confused:

It is the original trailer. I think the alert was this quote

Then, tomorrow night X-Play will premiere an exclusive second trailer for Eidos' action/real-time tactics hybrid sequel with English voice-overs and new footage. You can catch the completely new trailer on tomorrow's X-Play at 8PM ET.