PDA

View Full Version : kamikaze

Commander92
7th Oct 2008, 12:18
In BS:P, will ships get damaged if u crash into ships, boats and subs?

crazyhorse128
7th Oct 2008, 14:41
The okha personal guided missile has been confirmed, dont know about using standard planes used for kamikaze

Commander92
7th Oct 2008, 14:47
Can we actually fly it? And does kamikaze work in BS:M?

com345
7th Oct 2008, 15:01
In BS:P, will ships get damaged if u crash into ships, boats and subs?

this is already the case in BSM (but only lesser armored vessels)

Commander92
7th Oct 2008, 15:07
but on the bigger ships like CA, BB, DD, CV and CL, can they be damaged or even sunk if the plane if fly has a bomb/torp?

com345
7th Oct 2008, 17:29
DDs, subs, hangars, shipyards and maybe cruisers yes but im not sure about CVs and BBs

but it doesnt make a difference if you have payload attached to the plane

try it: take 1 wing of divebombers on a DD and dont crash em in
then you try it with crashing em all in after dropping the bomb, you will see you do more damage

i know thats not kamikaze in a historical way but thats as close as you will get in BSM now

for BSP we will have to wait and see

Polarshark
7th Oct 2008, 23:38
i think using normal planes as kamikaze should be included too but should have more damage cause look at aircraft carriers if their deck was struck by a kamikaze plane ( jap zero) lots of damage

Jack459
8th Oct 2008, 00:06
i think using normal planes as kamikaze should be included too but should have more damage cause look at aircraft carriers if their deck was struck by a kamikaze plane ( jap zero) lots of damage

If normal planes do the damage that kamikaze planes did in actual battle then the game would be completely pointless. Multiplayer would become a kamikaze-fest with absolutely no strategy. Just think about how easy it is to ram a ship with a plane in the game now. Now if one plane was able to seriously disable a ship then the carriers and airfields would have such an advantage that ships would become obsolete.

Im pretty sure that normal zero's(or any Japanese planes) almost never kamikazied enemy ships unless they were specifically outfitted to. Although there are probably exceptions, most kamikaze designated planes were stripped of all(most?) guns and radios and other equipment to be replaced with high explosives.

crazyhorse128
8th Oct 2008, 15:18
Kamikaze only became at Japenese tactic around the time of the battle for Okinawa. As defeat loomed over the Japenese people they reverted to the old samurai teachings. If kamikaze was implemented, you'd have to make it worth the effort in missions set in missions set during the last few missions of the war.

M0n3y
8th Oct 2008, 17:12
And does kamikaze work in BS:M?

it works great on subs (if you get a chance to do this)
also on DD's it's good, and it causes fire on the DD and you can even kill a turret doing this :)
i didn't try this on a CL and CA yet...

Commander92
11th Oct 2008, 08:00
Kamikaze only became at Japenese tactic around the time of the battle for Okinawa. As defeat loomed over the Japenese people they reverted to the old samurai teachings. If kamikaze was implemented, you'd have to make it worth the effort in missions set in missions set during the last few missions of the war.

So it must be made available in BS:P, not limited to Ohkas but also to kamikaze versions of the standard planes (B5Ns, D3As, A6Ms,D4Ys, etc...), kaiten subs and kamikaze boats as well. Btw, would be nice to have the Tenzan B6N as well.

The Yamato
22nd Oct 2008, 14:34
In BSM yes it is possible to do damage with a kamikaze also if you drop the bomb from vals etc then kamikaze the destroyer you can sink it with just about 8 bomers or zeros with ease even with full damage control on. The Japanese dropped planes designed as bombs with people inside it from bigger bomber planes. I went through and discovered this with my university friend and shes Japanese. Also you need 1200Ib bomb/plane to sink a destroyer in one hit which was what the Japanese developed during the time when the American fleet was in Okinawa. If you look up the the amount of US naval destroyers sunk they suffered the most from kamikaze attacks some in one hit. The kamikaze period went on for three months. The US set up a perimeter of destroyers around Okinawa to protect the carriers and that is why destroyers suffered the most during the three months.

R&R BC
4th Nov 2008, 03:37
Kamikazes work very well on Fubuki class destroyers. A fire will start when hit on the B turret, and if the ship is AI-controlled, this often blows it up.

crazyhorse128
4th Nov 2008, 16:30
but fire does no dammage in MP :(

The Yamato
4th Nov 2008, 16:57
Are you sure because I always thought fire did in MP. It certain does in SP and I dont understand why eidos would change it in MP.

com345
4th Nov 2008, 17:05
fire does not cause direct damage but if you let it burn for too long your fuel or ammo can blow up and that causes damage!

M0n3y
5th Nov 2008, 11:54
but fire does no dammage in MP :(
you can lose a gun when it's on fire ;)
so actually it does dammage ^^

The Yamato
19th Dec 2008, 13:32
Heres an example of a kamikazi attack ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiyoshi_Ogawa ) on the USS Bunker Hill and I think that more damage should be done in BS.

watty14
19th Dec 2008, 14:04
very lucky she was not sunk, essex's could survive anything the IJN could throw at them,

Arrow
19th Dec 2008, 19:04
Fire does no damage in BSM multiplayer. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=724577&postcount=22)

US Revenge
22nd Dec 2008, 23:06
yea but if u have a fire for to long your ship kinda blows up. if i remmember right,

and they suicide attacks would be good but if they are to strong it would be to easy to win, immagine 3 waves of bombers crashing into a shipyard and your basicly down a major asset

also i have to ask, will they fix the fighters with bombs on them, they were kinda overpowered in BSM cause you in the soloman isles level the american side couldnt defend the shipyards because the zero's could almost outrun the wildcats,
so 6 zeros would kill 1 of the shipyards before the fighters could even defend the place.

raston
23rd Dec 2008, 12:40
also i have to ask, will they fix the fighters with bombs on them, they were kinda overpowered in BSM cause you in the soloman isles level the american side couldnt defend the shipyards because the zero's could almost outrun the wildcats,

Thats rubbish,6 wings of wildys can hold of 6 wings of zeros with bombs for a whole map very easily.I see it done regularly just with 5 wings and 1 wing of daunts attaking jap yards.

battleshipman
23rd Dec 2008, 19:01
Thats rubbish,6 wings of wildys can hold of 6 wings of zeros with bombs for a whole map very easily.I see it done regularly just with 5 wings and 1 wing of daunts attaking jap yards.

Not to mention the Zeros HAVE to fly into AA range of the ships at some point.Unless all the ships head east as soon as they come out of the yards assuming some managed to slip past the wildcats.

Arrow
23rd Dec 2008, 20:15
I often split my force into 3 Daunts and 3 Cats. The Cats can down most of the zeros, and the daunts take advantage of the lack of air defence and remove the enemy BB yard.

US Revenge
24th Dec 2008, 22:17
Not to mention the Zeros HAVE to fly into AA range of the ships at some point.Unless all the ships head east as soon as they come out of the yards assuming some managed to slip past the wildcats.

doesnt matter the zeros are so high that the AA from all the ships will kill maybe 3 planes total,
and the wildcats usually dont make it in time.

battleshipman
24th Dec 2008, 22:59
doesnt matter the zeros are so high that the AA from all the ships will kill maybe 3 planes total,

You clearly have not had anyone good on the other side.

LORD BLACKFIRE
25th Dec 2008, 00:05

We're talking about Solomons, right?

The Jap Zero rush tactic can be countered but only by a veteran player. It's best if both American carriers are controlled by one person.

From the moment the game starts you must launch Wildcats with no bombs (they fly faster and fight better without them).

Usually I'll launch one 3 plane squadron from one carrier, jump to the other and key up all three squads, jump back to the 1st carrier and key up the other two, jump out to the map and start setting way points halfway between the Jap airfields and the American shipyards.

Don't worry about waiting for all your planes to get up into the air as a group. The 2nd you finish giving orders to launch all squadrons, go to the map and set your way points. Get the planes moving toward the field of battle immediately. The Japs won't wait either.

As the Jap Zeros appear I'll start tasking specific Wildcats to go after them, erasing the waypoints, in order to keep the AI from jumping just one or two and letting the rest fly by.

You can prevent a 1st strike/knockout of the American shipyards this way but they may still take some damage unless the players controlling the ships join in with a bit of AA help (and they should since at that point they aren't doing anything anyway).

Once that initial Jap thrust is countered, keep sending Wildcats up but you might consider equipping some with bombs and making runs to the American shipyard, depending on how determined the Japs are. If they keep sending Zeroes with bombs you may just need to keep your straight Wildcats up for a bit longer. They'll run out of Zeroes soon enough.

At this point in the game it's up to the player with the American cruisers (pray he launched 2 of them) to avoid being destroyed by the Kongos and take out at least one airfield and maybe a shipyard (it'll probably be the Jap cruiser shipyard but anything helps) using the typical V pattern. Players being equal, the Allied BB's can't stand up to the Jap BB's but the American cruisers will shred the Tone class and put a beating on the Jap BB's.

The American ships want to try to stretch the Jap forces out east and west and keep them closer to their own islands in order to avoid losing their own shipyards.

If the American carriers launch anything but Wildcats at the start they'll lose to a side using the Zero rush, assuming competent players controlling the ships.

If the Jap airfields launch Judys they'll get owned by the Wildcats. Zeros can still make it in, esp. if the player flys the Zeros into the shipyard, dropping his bombs right before crashing, but it's not likely to take out the shipyard.

There are three maps where torp planes should NEVER be launched initially: Solomons, Coral, and Philippines. If you see torp planes (and usually bombers too) heading toward your forces you know you'll probably win.