PDA

View Full Version : Attention! Come play Battlestations: Pacific with us!

mycoldman
7th Oct 2008, 10:41
Hey guys,

I was kinda hoping to get my official login details all sorted before I posted this, but since we’ve very little time and I’ve always held the idea that exploding onto a scene with a bang is the best way forward – here I am.

So mycoldman, eh? That’ll be me. I’m the all-singing, all-dancing, all-new Eidos Community Manager round these parts (don’t worry, Keir hasn’t been replaced) and I’d like to start things off with the chance for a few of you to come along to an exclusive press event we’re holding this week.

In a top secret swanky location, you’ll be able to play one of the latest builds of Battlestations: Pacific, eat small delicious food stuffs, meet the dev team (myself included) and provide invaluable game feedback.

Up to the challenge? Course you are. But before you get too excited, there are one or two niggling conditions linked to this exciting opportunity:

First up, you need to be able to get here. We can’t ferry you lot about, much as we’d like to. You’ll need to be able to make your way to London on Thursday 9th October for a few hours in the afternoon.

Secondly, this is a very limited event - I’m looking for just four people. THERE WILL BE MORE CHANCES TO PLAY LATER DOWN THE ROAD – I promise.

So, here’s the deal. Private message me your details. Let me know who you are, throw us a working email address, confirmation that you’re free on the day, your age, and what your favourite ship sinking, ‘splosion making, Battlestations unit is. Though that last one’s wholly optional. I shall then use the Eidos Random-o-tron™ (http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5016/rando2wk7.jpg) to pick four lucky people to attend before sending out emails with all the specifics and details to the selected inboxes. Simple really.

So for now, that’s it. Good luck and I look forward to meeting some of you on the day.

Mike
Community Manager
Eidos

Jack459
7th Oct 2008, 18:14
Well at least we know tha BSP has not been completely been overshadowed by TRU. Dam, London? I wish you guys would come over to New York. I'd hop on the train and be in the city in a flash. Anyways good luck to all trying to get in...

chip5541
7th Oct 2008, 18:33
Don't feel bad. Orlando here so I will miss as well.

It3llig3nc3
7th Oct 2008, 19:02
mycoldman,
You might want to clarify if the game play experience will be on XBOX360 or PC?
From my own experience it's quite tough to face (not to mention use) a game controller after having been playing on PC in all of my life :D

mycoldman
7th Oct 2008, 19:37
mycoldman,
You might want to clarify if the game play experience will be on XBOX360 or PC?
From my own experience it's quite tough to face (not to mention use) a game controller after having been playing on PC in all of my life :D

Apologies. It'll be the Xbox 360 version.

M0n3y
8th Oct 2008, 17:04
well london is closer to home then hungary this time :P
but i'm sure my mom will hold me here :(
(btw i'm 15)

can't you do this some time later in Belgium? :D
btw good luck guys :)

raston
9th Oct 2008, 16:19
I have just returned from the London presentation of BS:P and can say that what i saw made me smile like a cheshire cat.
I will cover all the points im allowed to when i have managed to collate all the information flying around in my head.

Dremora Warlord
9th Oct 2008, 23:43
Hmm, is this the second public testing event? Any chance that one of these will be held in the United States/Canada? It may be good for marketing here in North America.

Red October
10th Oct 2008, 00:29
You don't have to spend all that money to set up a public testing. Just sen me the game instead. :D :D

crazyhorse128
10th Oct 2008, 15:23
Hmm, is this the second public testing event? Any chance that one of these will be held in the United States/Canada? It may be good for marketing here in North America.

its just the company is based in Europe

M0n3y
10th Oct 2008, 16:42
meh, i'd like to test it close to home :P

that's why they should test in belgium :D

crazyhorse128
10th Oct 2008, 18:20
meh, i'd like to test it close to home :P

that's why they should test in belgium :D

London's a better place to test it, because like the US (where most of the games revenue will come from) also like the UK speaks English as its main language

Dremora Warlord
11th Oct 2008, 03:00

Oh I know, just wishful thinking on my part. :)

LORD BLACKFIRE
11th Oct 2008, 13:32
Okay, I've been around here for a long time so you know I'm not trolling but I'm going to voice a concern and not jump on the band wagon just yet.

I'm getting a little uneasy about multiplayer due to lack of news and what we have seen to date, namely ONLY the single player game.

Somewhere, either on these forums or on G4 during the E3 coverage, I heard/read that July's E3 was focusing on single player info and that multiplayer info would start coming in August.

August came and went.

September has come and gone.

Now we are in October and when we finally think we're about to get some MP info it's like "Whoops, servers went down. We can't show you the part you really wanted to see but look at what we showed you a few months ago." Hmmmm . . . the term "bait and switch" comes to mind.

We all know that it was MP that made BS:M great and so long lived.

We also know that it was BS:M's single player that got it the most knocks in the reviews and will be the part that BS:Pacific gets reviewed on, since the media can't review MP adequately by the time a game releases.

I'm concerned that the publisher/developers decided to throw most of their assets into the single player game, thinking that what they had with BS:M's MP was good enough, and now have run into problems at a very late date in the development cycle when funds have already been spent elsewhere.

The primary problem with BS:M's MP on the 360 was network code - frequent connection drops, game freezes, and lag issues. The many other issues listed in the various "what we want fixed" threads here are mostly gameplay oriented and not technical issues.

If they beefed up the graphics, number of units, and size of the maps they may well have overloaded either what BS:M's network code can handle or whatever new code they cooked up assuming it would be adequate.

Online play is where many games fall short due to coding issues and lack of resources/attention from developers. Either bugs make it nearly unplayable or the graphics/gameplay have to be nerfed.

I really hope that the above scenario is not true. I'd prefer to think that the developers just want the MP to be as perfect as possible before they roll it out from behind the curtains. A little MP news would help relieve my concerns.

NOTE: This isn't a totally made up concern. I've seen great MP games, like Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, ruined in later versions, like Ghost Recon 2, because the publisher ordered the developer to focus on the single player game and make the MP more appealing (i.e., arcadish/run and gun) to the masses (i.e. children) thinking that would increase sales. Ghost Recon 2 was notorius for its online bugs as well.

chip5541
11th Oct 2008, 14:49
I would give it some time. We do know some stuff has been going on behind the scenes in reference to PR and stuff as in the fact that we have a new contact person mycoldman. I would just recommend patience. Once I have some new news I will post it.

crazyhorse128
11th Oct 2008, 15:33
is mycoldman from the BS:P department, or is he general Eidos?

M0n3y
12th Oct 2008, 17:19
London's a better place to test it, because like the US (where most of the games revenue will come from) also like the UK speaks English as its main language

can't they learn dutch? ;)
jk :)

crazyhorse128
12th Oct 2008, 18:08
isnt Dutch from the Netherlands, and your Belgian?

mycoldman
13th Oct 2008, 15:37
is mycoldman from the BS:P department, or is he general Eidos?

I'm Community Manager here at Eidos - working on Battlestations: Pacific.

Don't worry, multiplayer news is incoming. It's unfortunate that during our press event last week Microsoft's development servers were unavailable due to maintenance - something sadly completely beyond our control, but I assure we will have some details available very soon.

BS:P multiplayer is awesome.

M0n3y
13th Oct 2008, 15:55
isnt Dutch from the Netherlands, and your Belgian?
dutch is spoken aswell in the netherlands as in belgium
only a small dialect, bhut we understand eachother nearly perfectly :)

It3llig3nc3
13th Oct 2008, 17:05
LORD BLACKFIRE ,
altough I'm not a member of the EIDOS team, however I had the chance to play two multiplayer maps during the focus test event that took place a few weeks ago in Hungary.
Let me assure you that MP has been given a huge improvement over Midway. I can only speak for the playing experience but not the network code. Since it was technically a LAN configuration, I guess telling you that it was rock solid does not qualify...

Given the NDA agreement until EIDOS opens communication about MP I can be more specific, however knowing what I heard during the event I can understand a bit why things are happening in such way...

On a technical level that has nothing to do with any particular product I would say that network stability has no correlation with graphics performance. The network code has two elements: bandwidth and facilities to deal with packet loss (ping or choke if you like).
My take is that in BS:M the major problem was the lack of tolerance for temporary bandwidth reduction. (so the actual achieved bandwidth is much less than the capacity of the line due to some traffic issue...).
It adds to the complexity that BS:M did not have a state of the art client-server runtime concept. [I mean the "recommended" way of building multiplayer games is to create a dedicated server facility and log clients on it for gaming. It is typically done in FPS games, even when they run single player mode (local server + local client)]

As of now I do not know what kind of technology will be used in BS:P.
Did they re-write the netcode?
Did they only improve?

If you consider Battlestation's gaming concept you will recognize that the netcode is very stretched. Since practically ANY UNIT on the map can be taken over for control by a player (in MP) altough it looks like an "8 player max" system (BS:M) it is in fact a 30-35 player structure with VERY complicated units. The challenge here is huge!

So I guess EIDOS rather iron out the MP issues first and THEN go public - grant them that they learned from BS:M and they don't want to repeat the same mistake...

LORD BLACKFIRE
13th Oct 2008, 21:16
LORD BLACKFIRE ,

Let me assure you that MP has been given a huge improvement over Midway. I can only speak for the playing experience but not the network code. Since it was technically a LAN configuration, I guess telling you that it was rock solid does not qualify...

. . . So I guess EIDOS rather iron out the MP issues first and THEN go public - grant them that they learned from BS:M and they don't want to repeat the same mistake...

Thanks a bunch for the info, It3llig3nc3. I appreciate it.

LORD BLACKFIRE
13th Oct 2008, 21:31
I'm Community Manager here at Eidos - working on Battlestations: Pacific.

Don't worry, multiplayer news is incoming. It's unfortunate that during our press event last week Microsoft's development servers were unavailable due to maintenance - something sadly completely beyond our control, but I assure we will have some details available very soon.

BS:P multiplayer is awesome.

I'm glad to hear you at least have access to them. I've read various comments about MS's support of 3rd party software. When Ghost Recon 2 (Ubisoft) was released on the original Xbox in 2004 loaded with major game crashing bugs in online play, angry customers flooded Ubi's message board with questions and complaints. Halo 2 was released at the same time with near flawless online functionality and obvious comparisons were made. One Ubi rep posted that Bungie, being a 1st party developer, had special access to Xbox Live that Ubi didn't which led to bugs not being caught.

Keep at it. My friends list is full and 80% of those on it are BS:M players. It's a rare day when somebody doesn't message me or comment in game they are anxious for the game to come out and ask if I have any info.

xgamerms999
15th Oct 2008, 21:27
Hey guys, its been a while for me.

Anyways, its good to see some people are still on from the begining! Anyways, like Warlord, I can't wait to play this game, unfortunatly, I don't think you'll be heading my way... Hope a Beta/Demo comes out soon! I hope if you guys see me online you'll invite me to play.