PDA

View Full Version : Invisible War's Ending

jc_lemon_lime
6th Oct 2008, 20:59
i know that a lot of people like to rip on DX:IW, but i for one feel that it was a worthy succsessor to DX. i admit that it was not equal to DX, and the removal original's RPG fixtures was a mistake; but the settings were very well realized. the story was every bit as enjoyable and thought provoking as DX's. and i felt that Alex was a more compelling hero/heroien than JC was.

anyway, i thought it might be nice to start a thred were folks can share there POSITIVE impressions of the the game, and which of it's endings is the 'real' epilogue of the deus ex saga

René
6th Oct 2008, 21:35
I agree. IW, while it did have major faults, was still a good game. I think it's meta rating is about 84% which is decent.

PS: I am going to modify the title of your thread since it sounds like troll bait. :)

jc_lemon_lime
6th Oct 2008, 21:50
I agree. IW, while it did have major faults, was still a good game. I think it's meta rating is about 84% which is decent.

PS: I am going to modify the title of your thread since it sounds like troll bait. :)

sorry about that

Overtime
6th Oct 2008, 23:16
Had i played IW first and then DX1, I would have liked both games a lot.

The reason i cant think of any positives for IW was because i was expecting something completely different. Also, i had such high hopes that when they were dashed, it felt hard to think of any positives. It was like being betrayed...

I think i might replay the game tho, play it with a different perspective. It might make me appreciate the game more...

Bloodwolf806
7th Oct 2008, 00:05
IW was a great game in it's own right, just not up to the standards of the original Deus Ex. I am one of the rare few who actually liked what the did with J.C. Denton. He really seemed like J.C. and Helios merged into one entity.

Gizmostuff
7th Oct 2008, 01:00
I'm still a little bitter about the game. I think it's a mediocre game in general. I felt claustrophobic the entire game. While I could go on and on about its shortcomings, the one thing they got right was the music. Alexander Brandon and Todd Simmons did an amazing job. They made it feel like Deus Ex just by creating great music. I just wish they were apart of the EM team or at the very least be hired freelance.

3nails4you
7th Oct 2008, 01:06
I feel similar...I enjoyed the game, but I feel like it would almost have been better as a standalone...also, I did NOT like the fact that killing JC or Paul was even an option. They should be able to just look at you and make you die. Alex < The Original Dentons in every respect.

zubatov
7th Oct 2008, 01:33
Actually, I was rather disappointed with JC's behavior in IW. In a way, he was to Alex what Paul was to him — an older brother. But he behaved nothing like Paul. Paul often offered JC his opinion, tried to teach him something but at the end always told him: do what you think is right. He treated JC with respect and trusted his good intentions and his judgment. And how JC treated Alex? It seems he saw him as nothing more than his genetically engineered slave without any rights for his own opinion.

jc_lemon_lime
7th Oct 2008, 03:43
Actually, I was rather disappointed with JC's behavior in IW. In a way, he was to Alex what Paul was to him — an older brother. But he behaved nothing like Paul. Paul often offered JC his opinion, tried to teach him something but at the end always told him: do what you think is right. He treated JC with respect and trusted his good intentions and his judgment. And how JC treated Alex? It seems he saw him as nothing more than his genetically engineered slave without any rights for his own opinion.

that's a vary interesting point; i had neaver really thought about it that way before.

dxfan94
7th Oct 2008, 23:41
i know that a lot of people like to rip on DX:IW, but i for one feel that it was a worthy succsessor to DX. i admit that it was not equal to DX, and the removal original's RPG fixtures was a mistake; but the settings were very well realized. the story was every bit as enjoyable and thought provoking as DX's. and i felt that Alex was a more compelling hero/heroien than JC was.

anyway, i thought it might be nice to start a thred were folks can share there POSITIVE impressions of the the game, and which of it's endings is the 'real' epilogue of the deus ex saga

finally someone! i loved IW and DX1 sure they where totally different but i still thought Iw was i great game. IIIIII found it to be very believable. like the cities. in Cairo there is a new station that talks about the closed city and making it all small and having so cars. I loved it thank you

Romeo
7th Oct 2008, 23:44
Yes, there's is a few highlights in Invisible War. By and wide, the biggest victory of that game was the introduction of the Omar, as I'm sure MrsP would agree.

jc_lemon_lime
8th Oct 2008, 00:29
i think that the omar's ending seemed the most likely. it seemed to gel with DX's theme of plots being unravaled

3nails4you
8th Oct 2008, 02:11
Time for another taaaaaaalk bullet!

Pew Pew Pew

~Psychotic~
8th Oct 2008, 03:15
I liked Deus Ex: Invisible War myself, I feel like playing it again in fact, but I did not like the whole shared ammo crap or the storyline faults. It had A LOT of storyline faults.

Point 1:

They tried to include EVERY SINGLE ENDING from the first into the second game. The main one used was the Helios ending but they also used the Dark Age one (which caused The Collapse in the first place) and the Illuminati ending as well (which is why the Illuminati still existed).

If they had just used the Helios ending there would be no second game anyway. Because the Illuminati would be redundant as Helios would take over (and the Illuminati wouldn't have been around to try and stop JC and Paul). The Collapse would never happened and should never have anyway.

So while it is good they used all the endings (which they would have had to to make any sence of the storyline anyway, it still makes no sence as well).

Point 2:

Chad Dumier and Nicolette DuClare should never have wanted to kill JC or Paul. In fact, I don't recall them two EVER being in direct alignment of the Illuminati at all. Both were only because of DuClare's mother and because of Everett, but Nicolette never stated -- and I found nothing to suggest it -- that she wanted to continue her mothers work.

Chad on the other hand, may have wanted to but what about Silhouette? What happened to the French Revolution he had planned? And why did they try killing the Dentons when both JC and Paul helped Chad, and JC didn't do anything to Nicolette (didn't really help her, but he SAVED CHAD'S LIFE).

Those two points, to me, just don't add up. They leave too many questions unanswered. Like, how did JC save the Grays when they KILL YOU in the first game? How did he even get to that VersaLife base and WHY? It just makes no damn sence to me.

3nails4you
8th Oct 2008, 03:21
I liked Deus Ex: Invisible War myself, I feel like playing it again in fact, but I did not like the whole shared ammo crap or the storyline faults. It had A LOT of storyline faults.

Point 1:

They tried to include EVERY SINGLE ENDING from the first into the second game. The main one used was the Helios ending but they also used the Dark Age one (which caused The Collapse in the first place) and the Illuminati ending as well (which is why the Illuminati still existed).

If they had just used the Helios ending there would be no second game anyway. Because the Illuminati would be redundant as Helios would take over (and the Illuminati wouldn't have been around to try and stop JC and Paul). The Collapse would never happened and should never have anyway.

So while it is good they used all the endings (which they would have had to to make any sence of the storyline anyway, it still makes no sence as well).

Point 2:

Chad Dumier and Nicolette DuClare should never have wanted to kill JC or Paul. In fact, I don't recall them two EVER being in direct alignment of the Illuminati at all. Both were only because of DuClare's mother and because of Everett, but Nicolette never stated -- and I found nothing to suggest it -- that she wanted to continue her mothers work.

Chad on the other hand, may have wanted to but what about Silhouette? What happened to the French Revolution he had planned? And why did they try killing the Dentons when both JC and Paul helped Chad, and JC didn't do anything to Nicolette (didn't really help her, but he SAVED CHAD'S LIFE).

Those two points, to me, just don't add up. They leave too many questions unanswered. Like, how did JC save the Grays when they KILL YOU in the first game? How did he even get to that VersaLife base and WHY? It just makes no damn sence to me.

When you rescue Her Holiness (Nicolette) from the Black Gate ruins, she talks to you about deciding to follow in her mother's footsteps. The reason they are hostile towards the Dentons is because JC chose not to give the Illuminati total world control and instead merged with Helios, as well as the fact that the Dentons had for years been attempting to perfect a nanite distribution that would remove them and everyone else from power.

Also, during the time in which JC realized the merge with Helios would kill him unless he became comatose until a perfected nanoaugmentation was completed (Alex, etc.) he used the remote place of Antarctica to house himself with little danger for as long as possible. With a VersaLife base there already, he came in and destroyed the occupants there and freed the Greys who were being tested there for resistance to extreme conditions.

Hopefully that answers some questions. People please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no IW expert :P

TheMorten
8th Oct 2008, 06:48
I didn't like the game at all when it came out; I was basically horrified. I tried taking the game for a spin when Deus Ex 3 was first rumored and found I liked it a lot better.

But I also noticed something else; Deus Ex: IW is a very unpolished game. The way you aim, move, the way conversation animations play out... I think this is the reason a lot of people dislike it, even though the game has pretty decent story writing!

While the dumbing-down (unified ammo, 5 aug slots, very limited inventory, etc.) was definitely a factor, I've found that the lack of polish in controls and animation was what originally alienated me (curse you, mouse lag!). The interface, while a good idea (shape of an eye), also suffered from minor graphical errors, which also detracted from the overall polish of the game.

That being said, the atmosphere, storyline, puzzles and stealth systems worked quite well in Deus Ex: IW.

~Psychotic~
8th Oct 2008, 08:55
When you rescue Her Holiness (Nicolette) from the Black Gate ruins, she talks to you about deciding to follow in her mother's footsteps. The reason they are hostile towards the Dentons is because JC chose not to give the Illuminati total world control and instead merged with Helios, as well as the fact that the Dentons had for years been attempting to perfect a nanite distribution that would remove them and everyone else from power.

Also, during the time in which JC realized the merge with Helios would kill him unless he became comatose until a perfected nanoaugmentation was completed (Alex, etc.) he used the remote place of Antarctica to house himself with little danger for as long as possible. With a VersaLife base there already, he came in and destroyed the occupants there and freed the Greys who were being tested there for resistance to extreme conditions.

Hopefully that answers some questions. People please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no IW expert :P

Dammit, good point. Totally forgot about that. Not that it matters about DuClare, I just kill her prissy ass with my shotgun - SUCK ON THAT.

AaronJ
8th Oct 2008, 18:03
I like the Illuminati ending, because it pretty much "fixes" the problems with the world after The Collapse, allowing the world to flourish and advance a lot, and the Illuminati rule in secret. Plus it leaves us with "Ophelia", an Illuminati Space Station never fully explained. Incredibly open to a new installment.

Romeo
8th Oct 2008, 18:24
Dammit, good point. Totally forgot about that. Not that it matters about DuClare, I just kill her prissy ass with my shotgun - SUCK ON THAT.
LOL!

What a romantic. You definately fall under the class of "ladykillers".

~Psychotic~
8th Oct 2008, 20:34
LOL!

What a romantic. You definately fall under the class of "ladykillers".

Lol, I can be romantic if I want to be. I just don't like DuClare. Or that WTO chick either. In fact, most of the women on DXIW seem to be either *******s or traitors. The only decent one is the pilot lol.

Oh god... is my favourite character on DXIW the pilot AGAIN lol. The least important character in the game (my fave char on DX1 is Jock lol). CRAP.

v.dog
8th Oct 2008, 20:41
Actually, I was rather disappointed with JC's behavior in IW. In a way, he was to Alex what Paul was to him — an older brother. But he behaved nothing like Paul. Paul often offered JC his opinion, tried to teach him something but at the end always told him: do what you think is right. He treated JC with respect and trusted his good intentions and his judgment. And how JC treated Alex? It seems he saw him as nothing more than his genetically engineered slave without any rights for his own opinion.The problem I had with it was that in Dx, I had built up an image (after my own likeness) as to JC was supposed to act. When he didn't behave that way in IW, it was incredibly jarring.

Romeo
8th Oct 2008, 22:01
Seems like the KOTOR-komplex. When your previous character is no longer yours, it can be quite frustrating. Personally, I liked the endings in Invisible War just a hair more myself (ESPECIALLY THE FLAMING PENGUIN PARTY).

~Psychotic~
8th Oct 2008, 22:35
Seems like the KOTOR-komplex. When your previous character is no longer yours, it can be quite frustrating. Personally, I liked the endings in Invisible War just a hair more myself (ESPECIALLY THE FLAMING PENGUIN PARTY).

I liked KOTOR lol... but then I also like most of BioWare's RPG's. That, and flaming penguin party!?

Bloodwolf806
9th Oct 2008, 00:35
The problem I had with it was that in Dx, I had built up an image (after my own likeness) as to JC was supposed to act. When he didn't behave that way in IW, it was incredibly jarring.

Well, in DX1 JC was merely human. In IW, he was merged with what pretty much amounts to a god. I think he's be vastly different.

3nails4you
9th Oct 2008, 00:51
Lol, I can be romantic if I want to be. I just don't like DuClare. Or that WTO chick either. In fact, most of the women on DXIW seem to be either *******s or traitors. The only decent one is the pilot lol.

Oh god... is my favourite character on DXIW the pilot AGAIN lol. The least important character in the game (my fave char on DX1 is Jock lol). CRAP.

That was an AI. Not really female. So basically, you fail. Lol.

And if you're talking about Sid we might need to have a talk.

~Psychotic~
9th Oct 2008, 01:50
That was an AI. Not really female. So basically, you fail. Lol.

And if you're talking about Sid we might need to have a talk.

True, she was an AI but you don't know that when you start the game. Oh and btw.

Jock could kick Sid's ass any day. Jock > Sid. AT LEAST JOCK DOESN'T MAKE ME PAY SO SUCK ON THAT.

jc_lemon_lime
9th Oct 2008, 02:22
True, she was an AI but you don't know that when you start the game. Oh and btw.

Jock could kick Sid's ass any day. Jock > Sid. AT LEAST JOCK DOESN'T MAKE ME PAY SO SUCK ON THAT.

it's true: jock is the topgun of DX:cool: :thumbsup:

Mecranth
9th Oct 2008, 02:28
I quite like the second game of the series, despite its obvious shortcomings. The plot was of high quality, followed the events from the first game in a surprisingly fitting manner and was overall a fun game. My only real complaint was it's incredibly short length, but that was somewhat made up for by the above average replay value.

3nails4you
9th Oct 2008, 02:32

I'm not quite sure you understood what I meant. And I agree, no one beats Jock.

Except Paul.

DXeXodus
9th Oct 2008, 04:01
I liked KOTOR lol... but then I also like most of BioWare's RPG's. That, and flaming penguin party!?

You don't know about the party ending to DX:IW? It was my favorite ending :D

I'm not quite sure you understood what I meant. And I agree, no one beats Jock.

Except Paul.

And JC beats Paul. All he had to do in order to effectively kill Paul was climb through a hotel window....

~Psychotic~
9th Oct 2008, 04:36
You don't know about the party ending to DX:IW? It was my favorite ending :D

And JC beats Paul. All he had to do in order to effectively kill Paul was climb through a hotel window....

OH. THAT ENDING. Yeah, seen it, never found out how to do it again without cheats though lol.

And yes, JC could kick Paul's ass. JC ain't no ***** who only uses the stun prod lol.

DXeXodus
9th Oct 2008, 04:49
OH. THAT ENDING. Yeah, seen it, never found out how to do it again without cheats though lol.

I don't think you need cheats. It has been a while but I think all you need to do is:
Take the UNATCO flag and put it in Manderley's bathroom behind his desk. Then flush the toilet.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

~Psychotic~
9th Oct 2008, 06:07
I don't think you need cheats. It has been a while but I think all you need to do is:
Take the UNATCO flag and put it in Manderley's bathroom behind his desk. Then flush the toilet.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah though so, never worked though...

Romeo
9th Oct 2008, 06:33
You have to grab the farthest flag in the level, then backtrack all the way to the washrooms. And the flag must be fairly well in the toilet to initiate it. Do that, and it should work (You don't really need spoiler tags eXodus, you're not revealing anything plot-wise.

DXeXodus
9th Oct 2008, 06:52
Some people like to figure things like that out by themselves :)