PDA

View Full Version : Which game has the best music??

Linikratyo
6th Oct 2008, 18:51
Every LoK game has different themes, but which one has the best?? :scratch:

shlmysfb
7th Oct 2008, 00:31
I vote SR1, definitely. I especially liked the Sunlight Glyph theme, Otzar Midrashim, and the Ash Village/End Credits theme.

FearGhoul
7th Oct 2008, 01:48
Sure not Defiance. It had only, like, one or two new songs!

mort
7th Oct 2008, 20:07
@Zulgbrtzchllha - i think that was the point, why change the music when its good? if, at key points in the game, kains/raziels theam didnt start playing and set the hairs on the back of the neck tingling then it wouldnt be worth playing.

as for what game? any that have ozma midrash. information society are just epic lol. its odd to say its 11 (almost 12) years old and still sounds, well, i cant bescribe how good it is lol. there just could not be a more fitting song and the fact its was used for the intros is brilliant!

any one wanting to know, the albme was dont be afraid

The_Hylden
8th Oct 2008, 01:35
While as a stand-alone song, Ozar beats them all, as an entire game, Soul Reaver 2 had the best music for me. Defiance replayed a few of those themes and adds two more? But, yes, Soul Reaver 2 had the best music for me. I like Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2's music as well. You really can't go wrong with any of the games for music.

fneh
8th Oct 2008, 13:37
@Zulgbrtzchllha - i think that was the point, why change the music when its good?

no. they kept the old music because they wanted to save money.
saying "why change the music when it's good" is like saying "why should your favorite band release any more albums? the one you have is good enough"

SR1 had the best music imo. Just because it's honestly the only LOK game i actually noticed the music in beyond background noise (well besides defiance - but that was just rage from the recycling old music. first no opening FMV after the famous SR ones. And then no new music. honestly, they must have had a really tight budget for that game)

Raziel's daughter
8th Oct 2008, 14:41
saying "why change the music when it's good" is like saying "why should your favorite band release any more albums? the one you have is good enough"

That’s true.

The fact the music is good is a reason for making more, not for stop making new songs.

as a stand-alone song, Ozar beats them all

I agree on that.

The_Hylden
9th Oct 2008, 00:57
I'm going to slightly disagree on the issue of the Defiance music. While I agree it wasn't remixed enough to warrant it being the greatest of the games or as good an effort as the others, of course, unlike a music band, themes for games, just like the themes for sequels to movies, can be the same, or similar. It happens all of the time. The Dark Knight, for instance, has the same basic Batman theme music, reworked in spots of course. Plus, the addition of the two themes for both The Joker and Two-Face. If Defiance would have remixed the music a bit more, just like they did with the opening theme (played over the credits of Ariel's Lament), this argument would be totally moot of them not going completely different. It is a sequel, and therefore should have reoccurring themes (especially since some of the locations are still the same and even it's the same time period we left last -- ie. The Sarafan Stronghold). But, as it stands, it was mostly just recorded better and added just the same. I think also that SR2 had the best of them for the music subtly shifting from regular theme to fight/action theme. They perfected that technique for me in that game. Defiance could have at least mixed it up a bit more in that regard.

I do love including Kain's BO2 theme, as that was one of the best themes in that game and the rerecording of it is much better in Defiance. Playing Kain's theme against Raziel's Ozar Midrashim definitely works. Does anyone dispute that?

FearGhoul
9th Oct 2008, 02:22
I don't have a problem with remixing old songs. I think it can be really effective if done right, for example, how Chrono Cross used quite a few of the themes from Chrono Trigger. Of course, the problem is that Defiance just reused music from the past games instead of making new songs like it should have. I was really looking forward to new LoK music.

FearGhoul
9th Oct 2008, 02:24
@Zulgbrtzchllha - i think that was the point, why change the music when its good? if, at key points in the game, kains/raziels theam didnt start playing and set the hairs on the back of the neck tingling then it wouldnt be worth playing.

as for what game? any that have ozma midrash. information society are just epic lol. its odd to say its 11 (almost 12) years old and still sounds, well, i cant bescribe how good it is lol. there just could not be a more fitting song and the fact its was used for the intros is brilliant!

any one wanting to know, the albme was dont be afraid

And I've also heard Don't Be Afraid (my brother bought a copy, pretty much just for the Soul Reaver song) and it's really cool.

fneh
9th Oct 2008, 15:49
[QUOTE=The Hylden;854477]I'm going to slightly disagree on the issue of the Defiance music. While I agree it wasn't remixed enough...QUOTE]

it wasn't remixed AT ALL!

and i agree regarding chrono cross. i loved the way they carried those memorable themes. it was done very well - especially because it didn't use them most the game, so when you did hear them (like on the world map) you appreciated it as much as the first time kain says vae victus in defiance.

Linikratyo
9th Oct 2008, 18:20
I think that every site in Nosgoth should have its own theme. Many locations in Defiance where already seen in other games, so they should keep their own theme. I love the Termogent Forest music... it was there so many times in Defiance... :D but I truly missed the Overland theme. I really loved it in SR2 and I found it dissappointing to not hear it in newer games......
2 areas that deserved to have new music were the Vampire Citadel & Avernus Cathedral, since they probably won't recycle BO music... :D

To the ones who voted SR: Is it because of Ozar Midrashim?? because I probably prefer Ariel's Lament.... not that this is why I voted SR2, because I mostly love the overal themes of SR2....

NOTE: they should bring back Hylden sites with BO2 music!! That would be awesome!! :cool:

it wasn't remixed AT ALL!

You should listen to the Sarafan Stronghold Theme of Defiance & Soul Reaver 2. They clearly remixed it....

Raziel's daughter
9th Oct 2008, 22:25
The best of the best

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSIT_nUNoo

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ost-soul-reaver-2-ariels-lament/2827001061/?icid=VIDURVMUS04

To the ones who voted SR: Is it because of Ozar Midrashim??

The whole soundtrack is just sublime

Linikratyo
10th Oct 2008, 17:57
The best of the best

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSIT_nUNoo

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ost-soul-reaver-2-ariels-lament/2827001061/?icid=VIDURVMUS04

The whole soundtrack is just sublime

But did you choose it because of Ozar Midrashim or the overal music??

FearGhoul
10th Oct 2008, 23:59
I chose Soul Reaver. I just love that weird, creepy music.

Linikratyo
11th Oct 2008, 17:55
Now I come to Defiance.... I saw that many people voted... is it because of the Defiance menu theme??

Raziel's daughter
12th Oct 2008, 13:04
But did you choose it because of Ozar Midrashim or the overal music??

Overal music :)

Raziel's daughter
12th Oct 2008, 14:03
And I've also heard Don't Be Afraid (my brother bought a copy, pretty much just for the Soul Reaver song) and it's really cool.

You know, I’ve been thinking about buying that album.

Rammstein (my fav band) is industrial metal and Diorama (my second fav band) is electro so there’s a good chance im gonna like it.

...I wonder if it’s still available :scratch:

FearGhoul
12th Oct 2008, 21:35
I like Rammstein too.

The DarkOne
13th Oct 2008, 00:16
Blood Omen for me :)

RainaAudron
13th Oct 2008, 09:28
I like Soul Reaver OST the most, it´s very atmospheric.

You should listen to the Sarafan Stronghold Theme of Defiance & Soul Reaver 2. They clearly remixed it....

There´s a slight difference between them.

Linikratyo
13th Oct 2008, 12:43
I like Soul Reaver OST the most, it´s very atmospheric.

There´s a slight difference between them.

That's the same to me.....

Blood Omen for me :)

I love BO music (especially Avernus), but SR2 just has these special most awesome themes.... Swamp Combat... Overland Combat.... Sarafan Stronghold.... :rolleyes:

The_Hylden
13th Oct 2008, 19:23
The problem with BO1 comes in the game aspect of it. The music is constantly interrupted by the load times, so it can't be as immersive in-game as the others. However, you get the music by itself and you'll hear it's truly epic and awesome stuff. Then again, most here have forgotten a lot of the greatest game in the series, alas.

FearGhoul
14th Oct 2008, 02:18
Yeah, I remember listening to that cool music in Blood Omen, and constantly hearing it get inturrupted by LOADING.

Linikratyo
14th Oct 2008, 13:40
I have got it for my birthday previous year for the PC and you never have these loading interuptions..... loading goes fast! :D
Music was great. Especially the Avernus theme. When you hear Kain telling that the gates go open and.... BAM!! The music then blows you off your chair. :D Loved Nupraptors theme too... it was really nice to have it in your first big challenge.... :cool:
I love Blood Omen. It is a very cool game and it's nice to hear Kain telling a story.... but I think other games also have good stuff. :scratch:

mort
14th Oct 2008, 17:03
i'll refrase what i said as it didnt come across is it was ment to.

take halo and halo 2. halo had some really good music, it wasnt really fitting but then again nothing would have suited the game better...

halo 2 came out and they tryed to make the music even better... by adding electric guitar... didnt work and ruined it in my opinion. if game music is updated its usually done with a completly different method to the original.

if they were going to make new music for LoK i just hope they keep it to the original method, using synths rather than real instrements.

to use the same method you did i'll use linkin park as an example. to those that liked them there original stuff was really good. then they changed their stuff some songs people liked others they didnt. then they did stuff more like their original songs, again people like it. they then when and changed it completly and so most of the original fans hated it... then they changed their style completly and again all the original fans disliked it again.

iron maiden on the other hand kept their original style more or less the same and people still like them.

all im saying is that change isnt always a good thing if the stuff we have at the moment works. if they did feel the need to make new songs then make them so they are in the same style as the original and dont change the originals the suit the new songs..

i for one would refuse to play the games if a song like ozmar midrash was butchered by some twit that felt the need to add a bass line or electric guitar to it

(p.s. yes i have seen the video on youtube and tho i like it as far as hearing a different take on it i really wouldnt like it as a replacement.)

Raziel's daughter
14th Oct 2008, 17:22
I chose Soul Reaver. I just love that weird, creepy music.

I like Rammstein too.

:thumbsup: You have good taste

to use the same method you did i'll use linkin park as an example. to those that liked them there original stuff was really good. then they changed their stuff some songs people liked others they didnt. then they did stuff more like their original songs, again people like it. they then when and changed it completly and so most of the original fans hated it... then they changed their style completly and again all the original fans disliked it again.

Everyone has a different opinion…

...and you can never please everyone.

FearGhoul
14th Oct 2008, 19:44
You know how people here sometimes talk about getting LoK tattoos? Well, I'm going to get the LOADING icon from Blood Omen tattooed on, man.

Linikratyo
14th Oct 2008, 20:24
You know how people here sometimes talk about getting LoK tattoos? Well, I'm going to get the LOADING icon from Blood Omen tattooed on, man.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if they were going to make new music for LoK i just hope they keep it to the original method, using synths rather than real instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8CfAjO520

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q606hBUivVQ&feature=related

This doesn't sound very bad either.......

exmachinad
16th Oct 2008, 19:45
Ozar Midrashim and Ariel' Lament ROX :nut:

BO2 theme is cool too :cool:

dumah's wraith
18th Oct 2008, 18:58
Have to say, I don't generally notice music in games. The only one I remember really noticing is the intro to SR1. And I thought the music in Raziel's territory sounded like a speeded up version of the bonus level music in Super Mario 3:D

larson_1988
19th Oct 2008, 16:23
Hmm, it's kinda hard to say! It's Soul Reaver and Defiance which has the best. :) Love the remixed music from SR1 in Defiance. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Nefarian
28th Oct 2008, 02:01
I will vote SR1 without a 2nd though, the reason I like defianc eis because the menu music.

SR2 is nice but most of them just keep looping the same tune for VERY long (I understood this is how a game music should be).

Raziel's daughter
2nd Nov 2008, 14:38
i knew i would love this album...

Its just amazing!! Absolutely love it!! Can’t stop listening to it!! :D
Especially Seek 300 my favorite right after Ozar :)

...Still don’t know why i didn’t buy it earlier :mad2:

The_Hylden
2nd Nov 2008, 16:00
Yup, it's a really good album. My favorites after Ozar Midrashim are, the one right before Seek 300, Ending World, and the bonus track, White Roses (which isn't the actual track you hear on the CD). If you haven't heard White Roses, go here:

http://spacemutiny.com/whiteroses/

You'll see there was some crazy ... going on back in the day;) lol But the song's sure worth it, imo.

Raziel's daughter
4th Nov 2008, 00:03
Very deep song… depressing and encouraging at the same time

Thnx for the link TH ^_^

The_Hylden
4th Nov 2008, 11:05
No problem:)

Andarthiel
9th Nov 2008, 06:30
I definitely have to say Soul Reaver, I have pretty much the whole OST and listen to it almost daily. Certainly takes me back. My faovirte tracks are the Dumahim Clan Area(Ash Village?), Serafan Tombs, Human Citadel and the Necropolis.

Carnivorous Licks
28th Nov 2008, 09:31
SR. :D Definately.

Dinosaur91
25th Dec 2008, 08:50
Hi im new to this forum , i played all LoK and my favorite music is from Blood Omen , the atmosphere that creates is amazing, so moody and dark , very good , Soul Reave had very good music too i liked the Ozar Midrashim song and the song that starts at Dumah

Guardian of Spirit
12th May 2009, 14:53
I haven't played BO so I don't know how it is its soundtrack, but I LOVE SR2 soundtrack!! the music is the perfect essence of the places you visit and it brings you there....
SR1 soundtrack was great too!! BO2 soundtrack was maybe a bit effect-like... it seems like they are all ambient sounds but some of them, like Upper City, Canyon, and the 3 themes of the Hylden City, are really cool!
I LOVE Kain's theme (BO2 theme) and Raziel's theme (SR1 theme)...they are simply WONDERFUL!!! Especially Raziel's theme!! I like Ariel's Theme too, it's beautiful!!:D