PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 2 Remake? Yay or nay?

Darth Vader
4th Oct 2008, 20:49
Now i know that there have probably been alot of threads about this but i never got to see them unfortunatly because i didnt join that long ago! I would just like to ask how many people would like Tomb Raider 2 (my personal faverouite) to be remade like anniversary (because that made a great job of it). I would also like to add that there is this site called http://www.thepetitionsite.com that has as you may have guessed a petition that is supposivly going to be e-mailed to Crystal Dynamice!!! Not many people have signed it yet so if you think it should be remade go ahead!!
Precise link: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/create-tomb-raider-2-remake#signatures

:D

rg_001100
4th Oct 2008, 20:58
A few... (I think we've even had one about that petition...)

(a quick search will find these ones... all a bit different...)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77612
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=78603
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75393
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=79990
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=78879
etc.
(they're all pretty old, though..)

Darth Vader
4th Oct 2008, 21:00
Sorry i didn't know there were that many:scratch:

the real qwerty
4th Oct 2008, 21:03
personally i hate the idea!leave the classics as they are why you people want them back?they were nice but now they are past.and it would be stupid for cd to remake every classic that would mean they are not creative enough to make fresh games....

rg_001100
4th Oct 2008, 21:07
Sorry i didn't know there were that many:scratch:

Forum tradition, I suppose. (along with threads about ponytail vs. braid...) (those ones were just TR2-related. TR-AoD gains a lot of attention as well).

personally i hate the idea!leave the classics as they are why you people want them back?they were nice but now they are past.and it would be stupid for cd to remake every classic that would mean they are not creative enough to make fresh games....

Was it really necessary to be so bashful about it?
CD are creative enough to make there own fresh games, and there's nothing wrong with their games.
A lot of the original fans of the Core Design TR games don't like the idea of remaking the classic TR games, because of the mixing styles of contrasting/clashing approaches to gameplay.. and it can often play differently than nostalgia allows for. Also, some parts of the remake are inevitably cut out, and other new parts put in.
I'm not against the idea of CD remaking the Core games, so long as they are developed alongside the 'epic' storyline (TR:L, TR:U...), possibly by a different dev team. That way, we could get TR games at a high frequency, without having to wait 3 years between each game.

Darth Vader
4th Oct 2008, 21:10
I don't think that all of them should be remade but some of them were great classic's and the reason isn't just becaus i think it would be great but also because like the reason for remaking TR1 it would introduce new fans to the classic's that they never got the chance to play

rg_001100
4th Oct 2008, 21:22
I don't think that all of them should be remade but some of them were great classic's and the reason isn't just becaus i think it would be great but also because like the reason for remaking TR1 it would introduce new fans to the classic's that they never got the chance to play

A re-release of the games (so they work on modern systems) rather than a remake seems to fit this idea..

LaraCroftRox
4th Oct 2008, 21:24
Hang on....there's two Darth Vader's on this forum now? :lol:
Anyway, the first one is fine to remake as a celebration but I wouldn't personnaly like to have them all reamde. :o

Darth Vader
4th Oct 2008, 21:29
Ok so i guess that it is a no for the idea lol but oh well we will always have the origionals to remember the great past times!
However maybe like the other person said maybe they should just re-release them to work on next gen consoles:)

DarthVader#1
4th Oct 2008, 21:47
hey look! another Darth Vader! lol

after they run out of ideas for new tomb raider games, i wouldn't mind some remakes.

Arctic
4th Oct 2008, 21:54
I do see the cool thing about playing through all the old locations in better graphics. But I really think the original games should be remembered as they were. It was different with TR1, because it was the very first game, and now when the series has been living in over a decade, it's fine to make a remake of it. But only with the first game.
I think CD should concentrate on making new games, and leave the good old ones as they are ;)

crazyraider-147
4th Oct 2008, 22:37
hey look! another Darth Vader! lol

after they run out of ideas for new tomb raider games, i wouldn't mind some remakes.

What about running out of ideas for new names! :lol:

_Love2Raid_
5th Oct 2008, 16:31
Yes please! :D

Since another TR would probably take them another 3 years, it would be something fun to keep us busy. Besides, I really liked Anniversary.
So keep it coming CD and Eidos!!

Veppie
5th Oct 2008, 17:45
Yes please! :D

Since another TR would probably take them another 3 years, it would be something fun to keep us busy. Besides, I really liked Anniversary.
So keep it coming CD and Eidos!!

agreed

+ seeing venice in next gen would be awesome.

Lo
5th Oct 2008, 18:39
*Enter the old-skool deadly defender* :D

Hi,

Well I would LOVE to see TR2 remade but not if it's anything like TR Anniversary for I dislike almost everything about it. :(

Okay so admittedly I haven't played it through to the end but that in itself should tell you something. I hate it that the environments are so limited. In TR1 we could run around for ages and we could easily dodge the T-Rex for example but on TR:A we are stuck in a non-escapable arena. There's nowhere to hide and not very much to explore for that matter. Added to that the fact that on the PC you have to keep smacking the fire key repeatedly, it just makes it all too much of an exhausting fight and with little, if anything, to compensate.

If they could remake TR2 using modern graphics but retaining the old-skool controls and expanse where locations/exploration is concerned then yes. Otherwise forget it. Sorry! :o

_Tomb_Raider_
5th Oct 2008, 18:46
I don't won't to see any re-make, only maybe for AOD! So no I don't wont to see TR2 re-make!

Darth Vader
5th Oct 2008, 19:24
So we are all pretty negative on the idea, but i think that if they remade it everyone would buy it because lets face it, it's a tomb raider game! so i think that they should remake it even if people disagree with it because i personally think that after playing venice with great graphics thay would all love it.
Dont you agree?:)

Darth Vader
5th Oct 2008, 19:27
By the way just a reminder
For the people that would love it to be remade please make sure you dign the petition it would really help! they need as many names as they can get trust me their aim is 5,000 and they have 21 so please

Lo
5th Oct 2008, 19:31
So we are all pretty negative on the idea, but i think that if they remade it everyone would buy it because lets face it, it's a tomb raider game! so i think that they should remake it even if people disagree with it because i personally think that after playing venice with great graphics thay would all love it.
Dont you agree?:)

I don't think "everyone" would buy it. I probably wouldn't because I am not even planning to buy Underworld for all the reasons I gave in my penultimate post.

The graphics would well be "amazing" and "awesome" but if the gameplay is stunted by awkward controls and a limit as to how far you can explore then the enjoyment is all but diminished, as far as I am concerned.

It depends on what controls you are accustomed to, frankly. Why would I waste my time learning how to use a gamepad (which I originally decided was the only real way I was ever going to handle next-gen games), when I can download and play lots of old-skool custom levels?

I'm set in my ways I'm afraid and I am often baffled by all these new moves that lara has. Why try to improve on perfection? It often leads to disaster.....:confused:

Darth Vader
5th Oct 2008, 19:36
Ok i see your point but no one knows what it would be like in the end i mean it may be completely different to anniversary but i guess i would love it to come out but i am sure that they could do worse things than just remake a game.

Lo
5th Oct 2008, 20:06
Ok i see your point but no one knows what it would be like in the end i mean it may be completely different to anniversary but i guess i would love it to come out but i am sure that they could do worse things than just remake a game.

I doubt it would be any different to Legennd nor Anniversary because, sadly, this next-gen formula seems to be here for the forseeable future. :(

Other games on the market of this nature also favour the new controls (ie. using the mouse for visuals et cetera), so no, I really doubt it would differ from Anniversary if it were ever made.

I've always maintained that so-called "improvements" to a game do not necessitate that the playing of it is any more enriched or enhanced.

Point in case was when I rode the bike in Legend to catch the train (and 'save the world' lol :D ). I wanted to alight from said vehicle and do the very thing I love to do in the old-skool games - explore. But no - not only is Lara precluded from getting off of the bike in the first instance but she also loses valuable time by slowing down/stopping. In short, we, as gamers, are herded along a set path and the choices we had in the old-skool games have been compromised and sabotaged.

It was the ability to explore and the sense of adventure in those earlier three-dimensional games that nailed it for me. But these days the quality of gameplay is sub-standard because apparently, fancy graphics take precedence over the whole Tomb Raidure adventure/experience.

RinoTheBouncer
6th Oct 2008, 05:25
Yay of course

Darth Vader
6th Oct 2008, 15:33
I do agre with you there. the recent games have been to short and easy but that is why remaking the second one it would probably be longer than the rest because they would have to get rid of most of the game to make it short. that is why i believe that they should remake it to give them a good run for a while and maybe even learn that it is all about gameplay and not about vostumes, secrets and graphics

Lo
6th Oct 2008, 17:29
I do agre with you there. the recent games have been to short and easy but that is why remaking the second one it would probably be longer than the rest because they would have to get rid of most of the game to make it short. that is why i believe that they should remake it to give them a good run for a while and maybe even learn that it is all about gameplay and not about vostumes, secrets and graphics

Hiya Darth,

I have to admit that I was never interested in time trials and unlocking costumes either - well said. As for secrets or pick-ups in general, they are soooo obvious in the next-gens! I used to like secrets to be at least a little hidden and in some old-skools, they would put say, some Uzi clips against a metallic floor or some harpoons or something, which are really hard to spot and you get so much satisfaction from finding them :D

I find it quite patronising to have a HUGE glimmering object "hiding" behind a leaf :lol:

Spong
6th Oct 2008, 18:16
I think the question is this: How should they remake any old-skool games?

Should they be remade in the style that Anniversary adopted (a boosted Legend engine)? Or should any new remakes be made using the new Underworld engine?

Katie_Fleming
6th Oct 2008, 21:36
Mm I say no, just because I'd be annoyed with them yet again when they change Lara's history. It would be cool to see the levels with the next gen content, but I wouldn't necessarily be interested in seeing it remade. It was perfect the first time ;)

rg_001100
7th Oct 2008, 01:19
I'm set in my ways I'm afraid and I am often baffled by all these new moves that lara has. Why try to improve on perfection? It often leads to disaster.....:confused:

The controls they have now are fine. If anything, they take the challenge out of controlling Lara... but that's not your complaint. (No, really, its intention is to take the challenge out of controlling Lara... or the need to control Lara precisely)
As to why CD would change the moves Lara has? CD are not Core Design (they're Crystal Dynamics :rasp: just incase you thought I meant it the other way around). Were CD to design levels with the older, classic control scheme they would undoubtably be compared to the levels Core made, and even if CD were trying to add challenge into the levels, they would ultimately fail being more/less new to the controlling system, let alone TR itself. (That is, Core fans would be complaining how Core had done it before, and how Core did it better).

I doubt it would be any different to Legennd nor Anniversary because, sadly, this next-gen formula seems to be here for the forseeable future. :(

I've always maintained that so-called "improvements" to a game do not necessitate that the playing of it is any more enriched or enhanced.

Point in case was when I rode the bike in Legend to catch the train (and 'save the world' lol :D ). I wanted to alight from said vehicle and do the very thing I love to do in the old-skool games - explore. But no - not only is Lara precluded from getting off of the bike in the first instance but she also loses valuable time by slowing down/stopping.
In short, we, as gamers, are herded along a set path and the choices we had in the old-skool games have been compromised and sabotaged.

It was the ability to explore and the sense of adventure in those earlier three-dimensional games that nailed it for me. But these days the quality of gameplay is sub-standard because apparently, fancy graphics take precedence over the whole Tomb Raidure adventure/experience.

CD are here to stay, and there game design techniques are as well. You either need to 'get with the program', and/or go into the custom levels community...

The bike chase sequences in TR:L are poorly reflective of what CD hope to achieve with TR... but the point you make from it is interesting. "herded along a set path" is linearity... I think what CD don't have in their linearity that Core had in theirs was exploration, as you say. I think the prospects of CD putting exploration into their games is brightening. There will be gamers that CD want to play TR (whom they cater for) that don't want to explore, and so to please both they have put in the 'sonar map' gadget. The player does not have to use this gadget, but it can show of the surrounding environment, "exploring" it for them.
If you want exploration, complaining about such gadgets doesn't go so well for you... CD aim to keep TR from failure, and broadening the game target audience allows for this. They're not going to 'cater' to a small, select bunch of people, and that doesn't matter because no matter what they do CD cannot, and will not please everyone. The best thing to do, in order to play these newer TR games is to acknowledge this.

I have to admit that I was never interested in time trials and unlocking costumes either - well said. As for secrets or pick-ups in general, they are soooo obvious in the next-gens! I used to like secrets to be at least a little hidden and in some old-skools, they would put say, some Uzi clips against a metallic floor or some harpoons or something, which are really hard to spot and you get so much satisfaction from finding them :D

I find it quite patronising to have a HUGE glimmering object "hiding" behind a leaf :lol:

The gold ones weren't so obvious in Legend... and the relics aren't so obvious in TRA. As for hiding ammo items, CD are progressing TR into the combat genre (while moving the exploration/puzzles to a different emphasis). CD have placed a max. ammo cap on the weapons, and place ammo in plain sight to encourage fighting with the heavier weapons, rather than conserving a massive amount of ammo to fight the final bad guys.
This is a result of CD broadening the who they want to play TR, to ensure success of the franchise, so they can focus on doing some pretty nifty things in future games. Older, Core, raiders may not like the lack of forced difficulty, I think they've moved the older style of gameplay into the secrets (not the bronze/silver ones). If you get offended by that, realise it's the sacrifice, the cost to ensure that TR never fails. CD will still endeavour to cater to older fans of the series, but they will no longer be the key focus of the franchise.

I think the question is this: How should they remake any old-skool games?

Should they be remade in the style that Anniversary adopted (a boosted Legend engine)? Or should any new remakes be made using the new Underworld engine?

They might as well remake it using the TR1 engine if they're going to stick to using an older, obsolete game engine to make future remakes. TR:L may not be so obsolete now, but it will be by the time they finish remaking all the TR games, if they attempt this. Having two remakes almost certainly leads to them having to remake all the games (or excerpts of them). In making remakes, they should (and almost certainly will) use the most current, up to date engine CD made for the 'epic'/mainstream TR. How much they decide to limit on Lara's movements, on the other hand...

(Sorry Spong)