PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 - New Information Analysis (No, it isn't all negative)

AaronJ
4th Oct 2008, 19:07
I apologize but I am SUPER rushed atm. I dropped everything to come home and make this video. Will discuss later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOxrRMJzyI

René
4th Oct 2008, 19:33
Ah, AaronJ: the film maker! I think the whole EM studio looks forward to your videos. I can't wait until you have the time to do a more thorough video when you have access to higher quality source material!

Igoe
4th Oct 2008, 20:22
PMS? While I agree that sometimes continuity can be sacrificed for better technology, I don't agree that its always a bad thing.

In the first 3 starwars, you're in the ass end of nowhere. You aren't near any major technologically advanced places or cities. Cloud city aside, the most advanced place you see is the death star, and its being built in space by the lowest bidders, so of course its sparce.

In the newer movies they have a chance to actually show how advanced the world is, so they can afford to take you to DIFFERENT KINDS OF LOCATIONS that aren't in the butt end of nowhere, and are using more advanced weaponry because they aren't REBELS fleeing from MAJOR CIVILIZATION.

While I liked the first 3 movies (4,5,6) the best, You can't say the newer movies were bad for their tech. At the time Starwars was LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead in its effects, and the same is true for the newer ones.

I'd wager the flaws in the new trilogy stem not from the tech employed in cinematography, but from the shifting of adult-oriented writing to more child-oriented narrative.

PMS, as it were, should refer not to the art style, but from substance, and the dumbing down of content.

We all ready have a word for that: IWS (Invisible War syndrome)

3nails4you
4th Oct 2008, 20:35
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't lots of cities already built on top of older cities? As of now? And it wouldn't be THAT unrealistic to think that making those "under-cities" inhabitable was possible. That said, Shanghai could have even been a model, or example, whose structure was implemented after the Collapse in Seattle to make the whole city-state thing work better.

The tech in DX3 will look better than that in DX1 because of decade-ago graphics and game capabilites.The technology will look better than that used in IW because, you know, the entire world economy had just collapsed and left a lot of the world in ruins. While we're on the subject, let's talk about PMS. I mean, er, Phantom Menace Syndrome. Same reason. 2 decades of Civil War had kinda ravaged the economy and technological capability in the Star Wars plot. Everything looked better in the I II III era because there was more tech available to everyone, more resources for training soldiers and Jedi, etc. than there was in the IV V VI era. That's the reason Lucas made the movies in the order he did...the entire 6-movie script was written before the 1st movie went into production. Lucas knew that in '77 he didn't have the resources to depict highly trained Jedi and all this other stuff, so he switched to the time where 20 years of war had taken its toll on the galaxy. People need to STOP BEATING UP PHANTOM MENACE lol. It makes sense when you think about it, as does IW vs. DX3.

I think taking Y2K grafix, wars, etc. into account gives a pretty solid reason for better scenery, weaponry, technology in a prequel. Also, it could very well be that the reason the technology was abandoned, as you say, was the social unacceptance. Hence, "Augmented people not welcome here"? I think the prequel is going to work out GREAT. Keep and open mind everyone.

Aaaand, I'm sure that by the time I get done typing this, someone else will get done posting the exact same thing. lawl.

Mindmute
4th Oct 2008, 20:58
@ the OP: I respect your opinions, but I disagree.

You mentioned that the technology seems more advanced here than in DX?
Please take into account that:

1. We only saw a few MechAugs and for all intents and purposes, the notable ones were working for an international police unit, not full blown military.
2. We didn't see them in every possible tactical scenario, there's a heck of a lot more augs they can have had that we never saw.
3. That arm is NOT more advanced than the Mech Augs in Dx in any means. That's a concealed clade within someone's hand, Navarre had an entire Assault Riffle in her forearm. That means something with a lot more moving parts/ammo space in a tiny space.
I'd even go as far as to mention Gunther's "skul gunn Mr.Manderley?"
4. We're also discussing the matter of late 2008 graphics power vs late 1999. Unless you want to go back to using the old Unreal Engine there's always a big chance this one will look more "advanced" (Quote RvB:"The future is shinier!")
And don't forget that this is a whole new team, of course they'll keep the concepts from DX and add some of their own to the mix, this is THEIR artistic property.

As to why they were left out later on, well they weren't... Jordan Shea, Navarre, Gunther, they were around, even thugs like the one in Paris had some sort of biomodification, it seems like the technology is still very much within reach in the time of the first Dx.
And if some of it was left out... Let's face it... A covert ops fella/lady with a retractable hand or gigantic mechanic parts attracts attention and requires a lot of maintenance. Just because not everyone seems augmented doesn't mean the technology stopped existing.
Nevermind the political and social fallout this sort of body modification can bring (if I can still get wierd looks in this day and age because I have a lip piercing, I can only imagine what someone who's got mechanical parts replacing organs or limbs must get... "But I only want zee orange soda!" - "Back away you freak!" - "I vill fry you vith my skull gun!")

We also only explored poorer parts of the world in DX (except from Paris). Just because those looked incredibly degraded and gritty does not mean ALL of the world looks like that. Give the information a chance rather than jumping to conclusions with so little of it.

NKD
5th Oct 2008, 00:01
Yeah it's really just a matter of graphics technology progressing. Exactly how are you going to make things look less high-tech than DX1 or DX2? They didn't really have anything in them that we can't build today, short of a couple holograms.

It's just that there are more polygons and detail that can be put into a map. It would be a shame to sacrifice all that wonderful art and intentionally make the game look very bad for some superficial continuity.

thomasaquinas
5th Oct 2008, 01:26
Yeah it's really just a matter of graphics technology progressing. Exactly how are you going to make things look less high-tech than DX1 or DX2? They didn't really have anything in them that we can't build today, short of a couple holograms.

It's just that there are more polygons and detail that can be put into a map. It would be a shame to sacrifice all that wonderful art and intentionally make the game look very bad for some superficial continuity.You could make it look quite like current-day, but with instances of high-technology scattered around (fingerprint readers etc.) Which is, much how you would expect things to progress, really. The only people that would have any access to technological benefits would be the ruling class. It was certainly the case in Deus Ex 2050s. But that would make for a more realistic, artistically cohesive project and not necessarily one that looks "awesome" to fifteen year olds.

AaronJ
5th Oct 2008, 01:37
Upon hours of review today with fellow DX fans, we have concluded that the deterioration of the world because of the Gray Death could cause such things as the destruction of fashion, biotech firms, etc. Of course, they'd have to make that a big factor in the end(s).

I AM excited for this game. The news was good (minus a few belt buckles) and the thing that sealed the deal for me was Adam Jensen's augs. That small little detail made the entire release.

I'm contemplating making another draft of this...

HouseOfPain
5th Oct 2008, 01:55
Upon hours of review today with fellow DX fans, we have concluded that the deterioration of the world because of the Gray Death could cause such things as the destruction of fashion, biotech firms, etc. Of course, they'd have to make that a big factor in the end(s).

I AM excited for this game. The news was good (minus a few belt buckles) and the thing that sealed the deal for me was Adam Jensen's augs. That small little detail made the entire release.

I'm contemplating making another draft of this...

I still can't get over the healing system and "Cover" for sneaking.

thomasaquinas
5th Oct 2008, 02:13
That small little detail made the entire release.So the entire game, in all its aspects, is going to be excellent because you like the protagonist's augs? Wow. I mean you may feel you need to remain positive. But that's just zealous.

AaronJ
5th Oct 2008, 13:25
I'm sure the healing system will be fixed before they realize that it was dumb as all hell.

And, new analysis uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOxrRMJzyI

3nails4you
5th Oct 2008, 13:30
Says this video is unavailable.

AaronJ
5th Oct 2008, 13:31
Processing. The file was literally 9 megs, but YouTube is still slow as hell.

AaronJ
5th Oct 2008, 14:23
Video is complete. Uploaded to facebook as well.

MaxxQ1
5th Oct 2008, 16:56
I want my 3 minutes and 14 seconds back.:rasp:

mouse
5th Oct 2008, 17:37
thanx for the effort to make these videos. but IMO you're too negative about it

imported_van_HellSing
5th Oct 2008, 17:44
Naw, though he has some strong views, Aaron is quite sensible, and when he does like something he'll say it too.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Oct 2008, 00:10
Thanks! Fabulous!
I'm going to watch it a few times to absorb it all properly.

I didn't find it over-negative (or positive)... the humour was just right. :D

jamhaw
6th Oct 2008, 00:37
I really like the fact that you get to be an average joe. The thing I disliked most about Invisible War was that you HAD to get mods in order to progress, in The Conspiracy I got all the way to Paris before I bothered to install anymods

3nails4you
6th Oct 2008, 01:46
I enjoyed the remake much better...it mostly matches my opinions now :D. However, I sincerely hope that after I take that guy down, there is a short cutscene where I epicly use a knife to cut that belt buckle off then maybe spit on it or something.