PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Yay/Nay?

dark_angel_7
4th Oct 2008, 13:50
In the recent scans of PC ZONE's 200th issue it stated that the game would be in 3rd person. We all know that Eidos Montreal looks at these forums (will they'd better be anyway! :p ) so lets tell them what we think.

Choose an option from the poll. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Oct 2008, 13:53
It is NOT in third-person.
This was an error when reported.

the game is first person but switches to third for the cover system. Apologies for error- I'm typing on a phone :o

jordan_a
4th Oct 2008, 13:55
It is not, absolutely. Thanks for saying that.

What about self healing?

dark_angel_7
4th Oct 2008, 13:57
Oh dear. Should close this thread then lol. Sorry. Or vote on self-healing.

imported_van_HellSing
4th Oct 2008, 14:06
If the game is primarily first person, I don't have a problem with using third person from time to time, as long as the controls, movement mechanics, animations etc. are done well enough for both options. That should be possible if they build both systems separately.

In Thief 3, the first and third person modes basically use the same mechanics, and that doesn't work too well, since both modes don't work like they should. However, I still like to use third person from time to time.

DX3 has the virtue of using a version of an engine that's been effectively used for both third person (Tomb Raider) and first person (Snowblind), so I guess it can turn out nice.

Not so cool about the healing though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Oct 2008, 14:13
Oh dear. Should close this thread then lol. Sorry. Or vote on self-healing.

Sorry, but I can't vote on self-healing either until I understand exactly how it intends to be implemented in DX3.

For example, if it means that you have a full health bar and once you are attacked/become damaged by weapon or melee, then the health bar begins to diminish - well, that is very realistic to me.
If you continue to receive damage, health expires completely, and you die.
If you either escape the combat area or eliminate the enemy that is hurting you, your health is eventually returned/stabilised.

That is an acceptable system to me and excludes the need to include health packs/soy snacks within gameplay.

But, yeah, until I know exactly how it works... I can't vote.

imported_van_HellSing
4th Oct 2008, 14:22
MrsP, what you describe is pretty much the plague of todays fps games, it started with Halo. Get too shot up, find a quiet spot and wait until your health regenerates, good as new. This is a mechanic designed for casual gamers, makes things much too easy.

I'm ok with a regeneration system if they include som sort of limitation in it - for example, in FEAR, you regenerate health, but only when your life gets below 20% or so, and you only regenerate up to that point.

Or I read somewhere about another game, the name eludes me now, where you regenerate, but your maximum health gets lowered each time you receive damage, and can only be brought back to full level with a medkit or something like that. This sort of system really sounds interesting.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Oct 2008, 14:45
Yes, hear what you say there. :)

Maybe this system could be construed as 'too easy' but then it isn't that difficult to find and carry health packs either, is it?
Especially when they are to be found everywhere, so easily. :p

Consider the scenario, I'm getting shot at and its easier for me to be lazy and not make an effort to move or take cover, just take the shots and admininster some health when I need it.
That isn't so realistic for me because in real life I wouldn't be able to do that.
If I'm getting shot at, I'm going to die if I don't do something about who or what is damaging me.

That's why I'm not opposed to this type of system, IF that is what it is? :confused:
I HAVE to deal with the enemy in a realistic way... without relying on taking a medipack to solve my problem - which, in effect, is really just a "magic potion of convenience".
I've GOT to either move out of the area or fight back...

Anyway, yeah, I would be happy with a compromise between the two, as you suggested.
Medipacks are fine, so long as they are not easily found.

Games work best when the player experiences a real sense of danger and a strong need to preserve his health/mortality.

SubTonic20
4th Oct 2008, 14:56
I believe third person would be quite interesting in a Deus Ex title, so I'm all for that. Auto healing, however, is a plague upon the shooter genre and should not be implemented. God, that's just lazy.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Oct 2008, 15:01
Auto healing, however, is a plague upon the shooter genre and should not be implemented. God, that's just lazy.

As lazy as taking a "medipack of convenience", as highlighted in scenario I posted above?

Not necessarily so.... :p

SubTonic20
4th Oct 2008, 15:04
As lazy as taking a "medipack of convenience", as highlighted in scenario I posted above?

Not necessarily so.... :p

While I see your point, it's what auto healing implies that bothers me. Auto healing is used mostly in games where you can almost never help but get pumped full of holes in massive shootouts. That's why it irks me.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Oct 2008, 15:06
Well, I don't like a lot of shoot-out games myself, I'm much more stealth-orientated.
But I'm keeping an open mind until I know exactly what the situation is with DX3.
So, just waiting on further news.... :)

Freddo
4th Oct 2008, 15:48
Self healing makes sense in a Deus Ex game as far as I'm concerned. They can easily just make it some default augment which is constantly on. It would be better if it had some kind of limitation in the beginning, though, and then possibly gets better over time.

I'm not against 3rd person view either, although I will most likely use first person view as much as possible. 3rd person is good for sneaking, and I just hope they make the animations good. 3rd person with poor stiffy animations can be annoying.

Aspects I'm worried about far more is the dialogue, story and level design. Those made Deus Ex for me, not the lack of autoheal or 3rd person view. These two things are just two very minor aspects of a game for me.

AaronJ
4th Oct 2008, 16:11
Self-healing amplifies the worries of CoD4 mainstream-style crap we've been worrying about.

I will speak about this further in my king-size analysis. 70% complete.

René
4th Oct 2008, 17:39
Hey everyone,

I am going to close this thread because the Title and Poll are based around completely incorrect information and I don't want to perpetuate these errors.

dark_angel_7, feel free to create a new Poll thread based off what we know to be accurate. ;)