PDA

View Full Version : Radio Chatter

Arrow
3rd Oct 2008, 02:38
I think it'd be neat if you'd get a little more radio chatter in games. Namco Bandai does a great example of this with Ridge Racer and Ace Combat. For instance, in the campaign, you'll intercept other communications - from your friends and from your enemies - about the "happenings" in other areas. Listen to your enemies gawk in disbelief after you've sunk their BB while your allies stare in awe.

For multiplayer, a lot of FPSes have voice commands. The Battlefield series uses the F keys (F1-F12) to announce to your allies generic commands like "Enemy armour spotted!" in addition to things like "Affirmative", "Negative", and "Hold your fire!". Wolfenstein does this as well, using the V key and the number keys. Aside from the above, they also give mention of what kind of class one needs ("We need an engineer!"), "Good game!", "Nice shot!", and "The enemy is weakened!", as examples.

So in Battlestations you could probably have commands saying "Follow me", "Protect the CV", or something along those lines. While it's true one can always simply type it up, it would require fewer keystrokes and be much easier to understand than "def meh cv". Let's leave the codebreaking to MAGIC. =P

It3llig3nc3
3rd Oct 2008, 06:56
Absolutely good idea :) I can just continue the line of games including Counter Strike for example ("Need Backup!") :D

I was reading an article in the PC GAMER magazine that made me think about sound as a whole. This human sense (hearing) semms to be a bit under utilized in gaming. Sound card is the last one people upgrade (MOBO sound chip is good enough), earphones or speakers are the last to invest in, etc... However sound engineering is really growing so it's time to think creative on this as well.

Thinking about BS:P I would suggest an interesting fresh approach for radio chatter. Assuming the game can have built in multiplayer voice communication platform (so no Xfire and Co...) it would be very interesting to "simulate" the WWII situation for radio communication:
1. The sound quality is bad, especially in bad weather when people talking to each other
2. Even it could be that distant units can't talk to each other on the map as they're out of communication range. (Think about taking a seat in a BB and fighting out a sea battle. You could only request air support if the CV or a plane is in range to hear it)
3. You could detect enemy ships breaking radio silence even beyond your radar range on the map...

I think this could really add to the "drama" of the game - when you're in fight the breaking radio limits communication options, damaged ships loose their antennas and become muted until repair is done, etc...
Obviously XFIRE and similar tools can really kill the enjoyment of this, however if everybody is honest it could be fantastic...

...and since it's voice, implementing these functions are not too expensive. Neither on processor cycles or on memory...

Arrow
3rd Oct 2008, 12:18
I don't know about your second point. Since I imagine you'll be able to simply type it up on the chat windows, I don't think there'd be much of a point to limiting the range of the radio. To a degree, the same can apply to your first point, although it'd definitely sound more realistic having worse sound quality on maps with severe weather (even if you can simply type it up).

The third point would be pretty neat, although it could mean that players manning the CV would be like, "DONT USE THE RADIO, TYPE STUFF UP INSTEAD". It might be a bit much to determine the exact location of enemy ships using the radio - maybe just the general direction from the player ship should be enough.

It3llig3nc3
3rd Oct 2008, 13:26
The "type in chat" can be taken out. Or similar to voice same rules applies and perhaps some characters can be lost during transmission similar to noise and breaks in voice.

Furthermore this is a console game for XBOX360 where the "type in chat" is limited since the controller is the main input device. So the voice addition I'm proposing can be nicely fit into the context.

You can still say that on PC XFIRE can override this game function but regardless if you play "clean" this proposal can add a nice feeling to the game - I believe

crazyhorse128
3rd Oct 2008, 14:20
Arrow you meantioned Ace combat 6, exelent game but the voice chatter is beyond cheesy. Not only is the talk between your comrades like that out of an amuter movie but how realistic is it that you can just happily just listen into enemy voice chat, and they dont seem to care :(

Arrow
3rd Oct 2008, 15:10
I've never played Ace Combat 6. I was referring to Ace Combat 4, 5, Zero, and X.

Red October
3rd Oct 2008, 19:56
So maybe there could be two channels. One would be open both teams could hear it however the other one would be team only. However, one be able to pick up on the other teams channel if he got in range. So lets say i am a sub under a ship i could hear its radio, however, for subs they should only be able to pick up enemy radio at depth level 2. And i would be more realistic if the radio had a little static interference. Also planes should not be able to pick up on enemy transmissions. Only Catalinas and whatever the JApanese's scout plane is should be able to pick up enemy transmissions for planes.

watty14
4th Oct 2008, 02:50
um can i ask, (prob a stupid question) what happens if you have an american, an asian, a russian and some other people?? and they all speak different languages?:scratch:

Arrow
4th Oct 2008, 03:03
This is Battlestations Pacific. I highly doubt you'll get Russian or German ships in there. Even so, I bet you 90% of all ships in BSP are going to be either American or Japanese. Australia is English, so that works well. Perhaps the only exception to the above rule would be any featured Dutch ships, like De Ruyter.

And I believe you need a type-in-chat because sometimes the programmed messages aren't quite enough. If you intend to make a movie, for instance, I highly doubt you'll get a voice option, "Move the camera a little forward". Other messages that I doubt would need - or otherwise be impossible to create - would be requests to kick an idiot player, enemy ships/aircraft spotted at a specific coordinate, or simple, run-of-the-mill conversation. I get the last bit quite a bit, since it seems people assume that I know when BSP is going to be released.

crazyhorse128
4th Oct 2008, 08:41
You failed to meantion the Royal Navy, who did do a fair bit in the pacific

watty14
4th Oct 2008, 12:22
nah i meant in the MP, this thread was about gettin rid of the text thingo in MP right??

Red October
4th Oct 2008, 12:49
This is Battlestations Pacific. I highly doubt you'll get Russian or German ships in there. Even so, I bet you 90% of all ships in BSP are going to be either American or Japanese. Australia is English, so that works well. Perhaps the only exception to the above rule would be any featured Dutch ships, like De Ruyter.

And I believe you need a type-in-chat because sometimes the programmed messages aren't quite enough. If you intend to make a movie, for instance, I highly doubt you'll get a voice option, "Move the camera a little forward". Other messages that I doubt would need - or otherwise be impossible to create - would be requests to kick an idiot player, enemy ships/aircraft spotted at a specific coordinate, or simple, run-of-the-mill conversation. I get the last bit quite a bit, since it seems people assume that I know when BSP is going to be released.

He was takling about being like team speak with mics. And wondering what if you had russian people on the other team talking the chatter would be usless.

I was also wanting it be like teamspeak with mics.

Arrow
4th Oct 2008, 14:13
You failed to meantion the Royal Navy, who did do a fair bit in the pacific

I didn't mean to leave out the RN, I'm just considering the languages you'd need to have in order for it to be "realistic". Considering the US, Australia, and the British all speak English, they aren't really a factor (it should be relatively easy getting English voice actors). Japanese and Dutch may/may not be harder, depending on the circumstance. You'd definitely need the Japanese more than the Dutch though, considering, as I said earlier, 90% of the ships are either English-speaking ships or Japanese.

battleshipman
4th Oct 2008, 23:58
The "chatter" we have now is almost too much. And playing from the japanese side is almost too much, unless you like little white words on the bottom of your screen(I can't stand them) or can understand Japanese.

Arrow
5th Oct 2008, 00:41
I was thinking primarily for the campaign, there isn't much need for it in multiplayer.

battleshipman
5th Oct 2008, 03:13
I was thinking primarily for the campaign, there isn't much need for it in multiplayer.

Its just as useless there.

Arrow
5th Oct 2008, 13:44
It's not meant to be useful, it's meant to be immersive.

battleshipman
5th Oct 2008, 15:32
It's not meant to be useful, it's meant to be immersive.

And it ends up being annoying

raston
5th Oct 2008, 16:48
Just needs an on/of switch like the music and all the other usless crap.

Arrow
5th Oct 2008, 23:55
And it ends up being annoying

Only if done wrong.

battleshipman
6th Oct 2008, 00:59
Only if done wrong.

Yea like lacks an off button or is done like it is now "We've got em riled now".Hearing that 10 times in a 25 minute span makes me want to slap someone. Seriously not everyone wants to hear ramblings, or half messages or broken clips of a ship getting attacked. So throw in an off button as raston says, if its something that must be in the game.

Arrow
6th Oct 2008, 01:07
See, that's the problem with BSM's radio chatter - there simply isn't a lot of variety, or feeling in them. Ace Combat does.

Red October
6th Oct 2008, 02:49
See, that's the problem with BSM's radio chatter - there simply isn't a lot of variety, or feeling in them. Ace Combat does.

Radio chatter is really for more fast paced games.
In Cod 1.5 you call "I need bazooka support" and in 10 sec a player is next to you with a zooka.
In Pacific you will call "I need heavy artiliery support." and in 10 min a BB will creep into view.

Do you feel my point

Arrow
6th Oct 2008, 02:58
When you put it that way, it makes sense. We wouldn't have radio chatter for an RTS, for instance. I've heard, though, that they're turning it less into strategy and more into action.

com345
6th Oct 2008, 16:56
Radio chatter is really for more fast paced games.
In Cod 1.5 you call "I need bazooka support" and in 10 sec a player is next to you with a zooka.
In Pacific you will call "I need heavy artiliery support." and in 10 min a BB will creep into view.

Do you feel my point

:D good example!

It3llig3nc3
7th Oct 2008, 09:11
Have any of you ever been in a situation in BS:M where you were commanding one of the units in a key battle and you were so focused on killing the enemy that everything else happening AROUND you was locked out?

Perhaps you do not need to wait for 10 minutes for that BB to "creep in". Perhaps you would just need to adjust the aim for 5 seconds to help somebody out with a salvo!

M0n3y
8th Oct 2008, 17:08
Have any of you ever been in a situation in BS:M where you were commanding one of the units in a key battle and you were so focused on killing the enemy that everything else happening AROUND you was locked out?

yup...it's so not funny :(
(i lost 3 ships in 1 battle due to this >.>)