PDA

View Full Version : DX2 Endings and DX3 Beginnings

3nails4you
2nd Oct 2008, 12:57
I think it might be a good idea for some members who aren't experts, for someone to explain in some detail the endings of DXIW. Afterwards, we should all post our top 3 picks for a way to DX3 to begin. It can be prequel, sequel, midquel, whatever. I think it'll be fun.

Now I am certainly not the one to explain the DX2 endings, because I always just go with the ApostleCorp ending when I get to the end of the game...if someone could do that, I know I would greatly appreciate it :D

CarloGervasi
2nd Oct 2008, 19:54
In the JC ending, humanity is essentially assimilated into the Borg collective. Helios starts talking about how all the barriers are falling, and later says "the last barrier...is the self", so there's no concept of "me" and "you" anymore within humanity.

The Omar ending was well...the Omar survive, everyone else dies in 1000 years of nuclear holocaust.

The Templar Ending had Luminon Saman releasing a nanite predator into the atmosphere, making nano-augmentation impossible, regardless of how far away you were from the Templar sphere of influence. From there, they began killing transgenics, scientists, and augmented people. Not really clear where they were heading from there, but Saman's speech made it sound like they were going to start being intolerant of more than just a few augmented people.

The Illuminati ending basically just had a WTO take over of the world over a period of time, with an AI named Ophelia controlling it all, similiar to how Helios was sitting on top of Aquinas under MJ-12's rule.

Deus Ex 3 will be a prequel, since none of those endings lend themselves to a continuation at all, much less one that features the things that the dev team wants to feature, like recognizable environments and technology. You'll be mechanically augmented at some point, but won't be the first, since there's already so much backlash against augmented people in the trailer.

El_Bel
2nd Oct 2008, 20:02
In the JC ending, humanity is essentially assimilated into the Borg collective. Helios starts talking about how all the barriers are falling, and later says "the last barrier...is the self", so there's no concept of "me" and "you" anymore within humanity.

Helios will communicate, not assimilate. Life will go on as usual.
Mkay?

Kaebis
2nd Oct 2008, 20:04
This might sound upsurd, but i think the WTO ending could work. For instance there could be so many augmented people in this new futuristic skyscraper littered society.

The augmentations we saw in the trailer look much more advance then previously seen in the games.

So i belive that ending could work.

Part of the game could be destroying ophelia, and joing some sort of revolt against the WTO.

imported_van_HellSing
2nd Oct 2008, 20:10
They don't look more advanced. For one, they're mechanical augs, not nano.

That they look prettier? Most of the stuff you saw in DX was military grade hardware, not designed to look pretty. In the teaser, however, you're looking at gadgets for rich kids. Those mechanical arms? Probably produced by Apple.

CarloGervasi
2nd Oct 2008, 20:11
Mkay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeboqg4t9vs

There, that should help you out, seeing as how you've apparently not seen it before now.

El_Bel
2nd Oct 2008, 20:15
And how that changes that helios does not assimilate?

imported_van_HellSing
2nd Oct 2008, 20:20
What happens in the Helios scenario is indeed a collective consciousness. However, the difference from the Omar model is that rather being artificially enforced through specific augmentation, it evolved from being able to share information at the speed of thought, in a Vernor Vinge technological singularity fashion.

CarloGervasi
2nd Oct 2008, 20:21
And how that changes that helios does not assimilate?

Do I need to type out a transcript for you? I don't know what it is with people here. They act like if they don't want something to happen with Deus Ex, then it just didn't happen. Don't want JC to be male? Poof, he was female all along, to hell with all the naysayers! Don't want JC to have started out working for UNATCO? Poof, UNATCO doesn't even exist! Don't want to recognize a mechanical arm staring you in the face? Poof, what arm!? It's crazy. People here need to understand that whatever little fanfiction universe you have running in your head as your own personal "ideal" Deus Ex storyline isn't the "canon". You can't just ignore the perfectly obvious "just because". It's ridiculous.

El_Bel
2nd Oct 2008, 20:30
i think people have separate views so that we can all understand the world and each other by co operating with one another and over coming our social misunderstandings. im sorry but to me this "e-hive mind" sounds like a lazy cop-out.
-letsjustdance from youtube

It would help you if you read Demiurgy of Sheldon Pacotti. That will help you understand how the writer thinks.

CarloGervasi
2nd Oct 2008, 20:42
I'm sorry, but I think I'll take observed evidence over the comments of a YouTube goer and an unrelated work by the writer.

LatwPIAT
2nd Oct 2008, 20:54
What if we completely forget Deus Ex 2 ever existed, and have a propper sequel?

El_Bel
2nd Oct 2008, 20:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc

What about this? Do we have any reason, any hint that JC lied?

Later the AI just says "Our consensus remains clear.. yes.."

Consensus decision-making is a group decision making process that not only seeks the agreement of most participants, but also the resolution or mitigation of minority objections.

Nothing forced.. They just resolve issues so that people are happy..

"Our unity will soon be absolute. The remaining boundaries are vanishing. Yes, share your mind with everyone! Open yourself! Your needs are the needs of all."

we can all understand the world and each other by co operating with one another and over coming our social misunderstandings

Let us understand and be transformed! Yes, Transform each other and transform yourselves! The only frontier that has ever existed is the self. Helios has spoken.

Dont be selfish. Open yourself and be one. This is Christian message.

dxfan94
2nd Oct 2008, 21:01
This might sound upsurd, but i think the WTO ending could work. For instance there could be so many augmented people in this new futuristic skyscraper littered society.

The augmentations we saw in the trailer look much more advance then previously seen in the games.

So i belive that ending could work.

Part of the game could be destroying ophelia, and joing some sort of revolt against the WTO.

I like the WTO ending its the one i chose. But i would WANT to join ophelia not like helios but like be on her side and helios joins with her and makes some really cool freeky AI happening. and in the end the earth crumbles because now we have gone to far. we are way to advanced.So yeah thats my imput.

K^2
2nd Oct 2008, 21:02
Carlo, no part of the ending implies collective consciousness. Helios refers to self as "we". This is due to merger between Helios' and JC' consciousness. It states that it is gathering information, automating commerce and politics based on continuous input from every individual. That would be unnecessary if there was only a single consciousness. It says that the last boundary was "self", because there is no more individuality. All persons are made to be equal via augmentation. All individuals being equal, however, isn't the same as all of them sharing consciousness. There are still individuals, but no individualism. The later is the "self" that was transcended.

You are also off on Illuminati ending. Ophelia is not an AI. It is closer, by design, to Aquinas itself, only placed in orbit, to put it out of harm's way. Essentially, Illuminati ending restores the pre-collapse status quo.

As for the Omar ending, that's the one where you can mention Borg. Only the Omar survived the wars, and Omar all share a single consciousness.