PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play FFXI?

Nights
30th May 2012, 22:31
Since the Final Fantasy XI forum is apparently linking to the official Japanese ones (and eventually, hopefully the NA ones)...

Does anyone here play Final Fantasy XI?

I am Nightsintodream of the Bismarck server, with WHM/SMN/BRD jobs currently leveled.¬* And I am still madly in love with Chains Of Promathia, even over half a decade out since its release...

immadametal
30th May 2012, 22:41
I used to, but i just couldn't keep up the payments.

Bhalditar
30th May 2012, 23:05
Actually Nights, the forum the "FINAL FANTASY XI" link leads to contains sections for players of all regions. If you scroll down below the Japanese sections, you will find the forums designated for English-speaking players, as well as French and German. The forum link for "FINAL FANTASY XIV" is set up the same way.

Hope that helped clarify!

Nights
1st Jun 2012, 08:46
Actually Nights, the forum the "FINAL FANTASY XI" link leads to contains sections for players of all regions. If you scroll down below the Japanese sections, you will find the forums designated for English-speaking players, as well as French and German. The forum link for "FINAL FANTASY XIV" is set up the same way.

Hope that helped clarify!

It did! Though I don't care for the official Final Fantasy XI forums...bleh.

member_10532174
1st Jun 2012, 08:50
I played at one time but it's been. . .years? LOL. I'd probably enjoy to play again.¬*Are you still a regular player nights? I might start again if I could get some new friends that play!

Nights
1st Jun 2012, 10:01
I played at one time but it's been. . .years? LOL. I'd probably enjoy to play again.¬*Are you still a regular player nights? I might start again if I could get some new friends that play!

I play as much as I can, though its admittedly not much at the moment because of real life...I am deeply involved with the endgame scene on my home server :)

tiaeltaru
1st Jun 2012, 10:10
I quit a few years ago after playing 5+ years on the Quetzalcoatl server, Tarutaru Red Mage, Dragoon, Beastmaster, Summoner, Puppetmaster and Blue Mage.

Miss it here and there, but too many other games, and besides, I plan on playing FFXIV when it hits PS3 and Dragon Quest X.

Moonkeeper
1st Jun 2012, 10:27
Since the Final Fantasy XI forum is apparently linking to the official Japanese ones (and eventually, hopefully the NA ones)...

Does anyone here play Final Fantasy XI?

I am Nightsintodream of the Bismarck server, with WHM/SMN/BRD jobs currently leveled.¬* And I am still madly in love with Chains Of Promathia, even over half a decade out since its release...

Use to long time ago, ex Vetran. right now trying to help shape 14 into a awesome game.

member_10803141
1st Jun 2012, 10:44
I've been playing on Valefor since the day of NA release. Granted I took a step back a few times and 'retired' *cough FFXI is a game I don't think I could ever quit cough* lol but I love it wholeheartedly.

Looking back to how insane it was back in the beginning, to where FFXI is now, just amazes me.

Ahhh... I still remember the days... where the Dunes were plagued with hundreds of people who didn't know what they were doing lol. Thank god for level sync XD

Jackstin
1st Jun 2012, 10:46
I quit earlier this year. Was great fun, but I was in it for the story, so once I'd beaten Wingsmoft he Goddess and Shinryu, there wasn't anything left for me. Looking forward to XIV 2.0

iambasho777
1st Jun 2012, 22:45
I've been considering buying it, but have a few questions.

1. How is the player base nowadays? I have heard in the past unless you got really lucky you could never get a party going.

2. Do you need high speed internet to play? Mine averages 36 Mbps, is that fast enough?

3. Is it a one time purchase or does it cost every month to play?

Thanks to anyone who answers these, I know this probably is not the best place to ask them

member_10803141
2nd Jun 2012, 03:49
1. With "Level Sync" you can EASILY get parties. Hell, you can party at level 80 in the dunes! What this does, is synchronize all your party's levels with the lowest level in your party. Example: Your pt consists of a level 83, 66, 32, 58, 85 and 11. Poof, set lvl sync on the lvl 11 and youre all set to party through the dunes!¬* It makes partying SO much easier, and the player base is still there, on my server anyways (Valefor)

2. No. To my knowledge, FFXI has a "56k cap" for internet. I don't know the exact details on this, but it's designed to make it fair for all players. However, having cable/dsl instead of dialup is always recommended. Your Inet is plenty fast enough.

3. It is a monthly cost, however you can purchase on steam the Abyssea Ultimate pack, which gives you every expansion, and every add on, I believe it's only $10. And you get a free month of service. The service cost for each month is $12.95 if I am correct. An extra $1 for every extra mule/character.

It is well worth it, the game is amazing and I've been playing it since the NA release (almost 9 years) and still have yet to tire of it.

iambasho777
2nd Jun 2012, 13:57
Hm... it sounds great, but I can't afford and extra 13 bucks a month in my budget right now, maybe if it's still going strong in two years after I graduate from college I'll look in to it again

Automaton
2nd Jun 2012, 14:07
I knew someone who played the game years ago on Leviathan. I had an interest but was never able to play, but I do have some of the soundtracks.

member_10803141
3rd Jun 2012, 07:51
Basho, I may be mistaken, but I swear there was a free trial for FFXI. *hops to google*

www.ff11europe.com/freetrial/¬*&nbsp... (http://www.ff11europe.com/freetrial/¬*¬*) I don't know if its still active or not, but you can give it a shot :P

iambasho777
3rd Jun 2012, 12:22
...I'm American, it gives me a 404 error and says I'm not allowed to access that server

iambasho777
3rd Jun 2012, 12:28
I just found the trial version for NA, I'm testing it out now

EDIT: oh wow. Guess I'm not texting it out now, it's a 2 gig download. Hahaha, I suppose I'll test it out at around 10 tonight

member_10832400
3rd Jun 2012, 13:06
Say I was looking to play through the main storyline of FFXI (I'm assuming there is one), for the sake of experiencing this installment in FF history...

Roughly how much time would it take to do so (in hours, months, etc.)? I'm trying to gague how much of an investment attempting to play this game would be, both time-wise and monetarily.

EDIT: Also, if I were to play this game on my PC/PS3 (I've been told it's PS3 compatible) is there a fully downloadable version, or will I be required to purchase a physical copy of the game?

member_10139380
3rd Jun 2012, 15:54
Man, I had so much fun playing FFXI. Even just listening to the Bastok city theme song brings tears of nostalgia to my eyes...

I'm playing FFXIV for the pre-2.0 stuff, since I won't be able to play through certain quests after 2.0. But after 2.0 comes out and I don't have to worry about missable quests anymore (except for the holiday quests and events), I'm planning on going back to XI and beating Chains of Promathia (and maybe Treasures of Aht Urghan and Wings of the Goddess and that damned Abyssea Shinryu battle I never got around to trying. Who knows, I might give the add-ons another shot, too).

For when I do go back: Sanctferum, on the Carbuncle server (formerly of the Gilgamesh server) assuming it's still there and didn't get merged with anything else or whatnot. Specializing in WAR/DNC, or /MNK or /THF if I feel like it.

tiaeltaru
3rd Jun 2012, 22:22
Say I was looking to play through the main storyline of FFXI (I'm assuming there is one), for the sake of experiencing this installment in FF history...

Roughly how much time would it take to do so (in hours, months, etc.)? I'm trying to gague how much of an investment attempting to play this game would be, both time-wise and monetarily.

EDIT: Also, if I were to play this game on my PC/PS3 (I've been told it's PS3 compatible) is there a fully downloadable version, or will I be required to purchase a physical copy of the game?

Probably at least 6 months if not more, if you want to do the expansion storylines, which many will need you at 75 (though now you can lvl to 99) to get through, with other players.

If you just mean the rank 10 missions for the nation, not nearly that much, but that's not even 10% of the full story.

Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, Wings of the Goddess expansions all have storyline missions, and the 3 story add-ons (not the Abyssea ones) have some story also.

The PS2 version only for the PS3, but you need a PS2 Backwards Compatible PS3, with copies of the game, there's a download in the PS Store you can if you have a backwards compatible PS3.

PC probably your best bet, as I believe you can find a digital copy.

member_10832400
3rd Jun 2012, 23:09
Probably at least 6 months if not more, if you want to do the expansion storylines, which many will need you at 75 (though now you can lvl to 99) to get through, with other players.

If you just mean the rank 10 missions for the nation, not nearly that much, but that's not even 10% of the full story.

Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, Wings of the Goddess expansions all have storyline missions, and the 3 story add-ons (not the Abyssea ones) have some story also.

The PS2 version only for the PS3, but you need a PS2 Backwards Compatible PS3, with copies of the game, there's a download in the PS Store you can if you have a backwards compatible PS3.

PC probably your best bet, as I believe you can find a digital copy.

I was expecting it to be a lengthy game, but a minimum of 6 months if I rush through it definitely helps to put things in perspective. Thanks for that info. If I can find the free North American trial of the game that someone mentioned above I might give it a shot, but otherwise I'll probably hold off for a bit until I know I'll have the time to invest in this game.

My initial thought was to play FFXI on my computer, but after looking at the system requirements my graphics card (Intel(R) HD Graphics Family)¬*might not be compatible with the game, although I've seen a couple people claiming they got it to work with that one. Seeing as I know next to nothing about graphics cards and how to upgrade to a better one, the PS3 would be my back-up plan if it turns out FFXI doesn't work on my computer. I've never actually tried putting a PS2 game into my PS3, but the system is fairly new and as far as I'm aware it is backwards compatible.

Nights
4th Jun 2012, 00:20
I've been playing since '04.

You can get from 1 to 99 in a month or so, if you are lucky enough to fall in with a decent linkshell.¬* Abyssea seriously made leveling in the game so freaking easy, its not even funny.

To do all the content? You can easily solo (depending on your job) most of Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urghan, and some of Wings Of The Goddess by yourself.¬* You are REALLY going to get to start hating (and living by) Japanese midnight though...

Six months is pretty reasonable if you do it nightly.¬* If you are more casual, you can DEFINITELY get the expanions and storylines done in eight months.¬*

About playing on PS3:¬* You NEED to make sure you have the backwards compatible PS3.¬* It was only the earliest 20 GB, 40 GB, and 60 GB models that had it (the fat PS3s).¬* The installation process isn't that bad honestly.¬* You will want a keyboard to go along with it, however. And as for graphic cards...you'd be surprised at what XI can run on.¬* It has very low requirements (compared to what is out these days) to run for PC.¬* It is also capped at 56k modem speed, so you can probably play on darn near anything connection-speed wise.

We in Vana'diel tend to be a very welcoming bunch...so if you need any help, just ask!

Also: Chains Of Promathia = <3

iambasho777
4th Jun 2012, 01:06
Okay, this trial version is bs. It takes 10.5 hours to download, and then nearly another hour to update and set up playonline. I finally got to the actual FFXI. Guess what??? 28,224 files to update. It's been updating for about half an hour, and currently has 27,500 files left. Why couldn't they update the trial version BEFORE putting it up for download, so it won't take about 19 hours to update in addition to the 12 hours downloading and setting it up?

EDIT: Sorry for the rant, I'm exhausted and was looking forward to at least creating a character on this game before I went to sleep, and I'm not used to being disappointed by SE.

EDIT 2: FINALLY got the game working... and where are the tutorials? lol

member_10832400
5th Jun 2012, 02:18
Haha, I feel you Basho! I decided to download the free trial upon finding someone with the same system specs that I have who verified that the game would work, and after a good day of downloads, registration, installation, and updates I finally managed to get the game working.

Only I feel like I'm COMPLETELY lost now, lol. It honestly took me a good 45 minutes just to find that person at the beginning who gives you 50 gil in exchange for that voucher. To top it off I can't even find my gil to see how much I have, although I'm assuming it's at least 50. :P

I'm playing as a male Hume named Leafe on the Sylph server, and I decided to start in Windurst since it seemed to be the most "nature-y" of the three choices. I'm playing as a Monk, at least for the time being. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing, but I eventually found myself in a place where I could battle a few bumblebees and whatnot. Every time I try to adventure further some stronger enemies appear and kill me though, which makes me think I might be heading in the wrong direction.

Does anyone know if a starting Monk should have a weapon equipped? Right now I'm fighting barehanded, and I know Monks fight barehanded/are better barehanded in most FF games, but I thought the lack of a weapon could possibly be my problem. I can't even find a shop that sells weapons/armor though.

EDIT: Finally found the shops on the boats! Bought myself some claws and a slight armor upgrade as well. Finished my first quest, but have no idea where to find the next one lol. Sure I'll stumble across it eventually.

tl;dr

Game seems fun, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

iambasho777
5th Jun 2012, 10:09
I'm a warrior currently, with the big bulky berserker looking type dude. I need a rundown of the controls, I had to open the task manager to exit the fullscreen mode because I couldn't figure out how to log out of the game!

member_10832400
5th Jun 2012, 11:49
I'm a warrior currently, with the big bulky berserker looking type dude. I need a rundown of the controls, I had to open the task manager to exit the fullscreen mode because I couldn't figure out how to log out of the game!

Here's a bit of what I've figured out so far:

You can use the - key to open up the menu (either hit - on the numpad if your keyboard has one, or - while holding down Alt (might be Ctrl?) on the standard keyboard). From here you can check your status, inventory, equipment, log out, view map, etc. Oh, I learned typing "/map" (without "s) in the chat opens up the map, too.

WASD on keyboard or 8462 on numpad moves character, 5 on numpad puts you in first person perspective. Hitting / lets you toggle running/walking.

Space opens up chat. Hitting Esc will hide lines of text in the chat interface, and hitting F restores them.

¬*Arrow keys, IJKL, and clicking/draging the mouse let you move the camera around. PgUp and PgDn let you zoom in and out.

I'm sure there's plenty more, too! And probably easier ways of doing a few things than the way I'm doing them, but this is just what I've discovered so far in case any of it helps.

iambasho777
5th Jun 2012, 13:24
I have figured most of that out, but where is the log out function on the menu? I didn't see it

EDIT: wow I feel stupid. Just found it! On a side note, how do you level and switch jobs?

member_10832400
5th Jun 2012, 14:18
To switch jobs you need to visit your MogHouse (located in the residential area, try looking for it on your map) and talk to your moogle. I haven't actually tried it so I'm not sure if there are any other requirements, but my understanding is that it's a relatively simple thing to do.

To level up you have to gain experience by¬*battling¬*enemies (don't know whether there are other ways to gain experience or not yet). I've only encountered enemies in the¬*East Sarutabaruta area which was located just outside of my starting town, but I chose to start in Windurst so if you're somewhere else it's likely different. If that's the case maybe try googling it? Or you could just explore some more and hope to stumble upon it like I did lol.

tiaeltaru
5th Jun 2012, 14:21
I have figured most of that out, but where is the log out function on the menu? I didn't see it

EDIT: wow I feel stupid. Just found it! On a side note, how do you level and switch jobs?

Go into the Residental Area or Mog House, I think it's marked on the map.

Each district of each town should have one.

Talk to your Mog and switch jobs.

You won't unlock the ??? jobs until you hit level 30 and do their respective job quest.

Level up by killing stuff, you'll start outside of your starting town, then in the teen's move to Valkurm Dunes. (if you want to party), but nowadays you can do Fields of Valor at the outposts for more xp.

member_10727332
5th Jun 2012, 14:28
do i play ffxi? every single day my man, every.single.day.

iambasho777
5th Jun 2012, 18:42
I meant gain job levels, I have the character level down... or is what I thought was the character level the level of the job I'm in?

member_10139380
5th Jun 2012, 21:02
There's a seperate level for each job. No character levels.

iambasho777
5th Jun 2012, 21:34
That... makes a lot of sense now. lol wow I feel dumb now. I think I'm getting the hang of the game though, soon I may even verture out of sight of this town's gates! Hahaha

tiaeltaru
6th Jun 2012, 08:59
That... makes a lot of sense now. lol wow I feel dumb now. I think I'm getting the hang of the game though, soon I may even verture out of sight of this town's gates! Hahaha

Yeah, each job starts at level 1, and you can take them all up to 99 or whatever the cap is.

At certain levels you gotta do the Genkai quests to be able to level past that limit.

member_10832400
7th Jun 2012, 06:43
Every time I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game it throws me a curveball lol. Enemies near Windurst weren't giving me experience or crystals anymore (which I apparently need to unlock the next mission), so I decided to explore a bit, hoping to find something a little more challenging. Enemies were suddenly too tough though and I was in a place I didn't have a map for, so I probably spent a good hour just running around trying to avoid them. Now I've made my way to some town called Jueno where there are TONS of people, but I have no idea what I should be doing. I was going to try and ride an airship back to Windurst, but the pass costs 500,000 gil so there's no way I can afford that. I mean, I had to sell stuff just to buy the 600 gil Jueno map lol.

tiaeltaru
8th Jun 2012, 09:32
Every time I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game it throws me a curveball lol. Enemies near Windurst weren't giving me experience or crystals anymore (which I apparently need to unlock the next mission), so I decided to explore a bit, hoping to find something a little more challenging. Enemies were suddenly too tough though and I was in a place I didn't have a map for, so I probably spent a good hour just running around trying to avoid them. Now I've made my way to some town called Jueno where there are TONS of people, but I have no idea what I should be doing. I was going to try and ride an airship back to Windurst, but the pass costs 500,000 gil so there's no way I can afford that. I mean, I had to sell stuff just to buy the 600 gil Jueno map lol.

What level are you?
And you can usually buy a map for other areas back in town, don't remember the NPC though.

If you're around 10+, you can exp in Tahrongi Canyon probably, get a few more levels then head to Buburimu Peninsula and go to Mhaura.
Take the boat to Selbina and outside that is Valkurm Dunes where you can probably find a party for xp.

Jeuno isn't until around 20-25, where you'd be xping in Qufim Island.

However, you can do the chocobo quest in Jeuno at level 20 to be able to rent them.

And when you complete rank 4 missions in your nation you'll get an airship pass for free, nobody buys the 500k one lol.

¬*

oceano
13th Jul 2012, 22:59
wife and i are considering starting to play FFXI, just wondeirng how things look and if is worth giveing it a Go again.

thank you

¬*¬*

Azure
14th Jul 2012, 01:20
This is FF IX¬* not FFXI so maybe you are in the wrong place

new_tradition
24th Aug 2012, 19:29
I don't want to jinx it, but say S-E stopped supporting and updating FFXI, what are they odds that they may consider releasing the "campaign-mode" of the game with all the extra's the've released over the years in a single release? I can admit that while I don't like the idea of paying every month for a subscription to a game, I'd like to give FFXI a chance, even if it would be a superficial release rather than the core MMORPG aspect of it.

So, my quesiton-is that even something that's been done in the past with MMORPGS no longer supported? The closest thing I know of was a DS release of Ragnarok ONLINE, but as far as I know, that community and game is still going strong, so I dunno, lol.

How about you guys? Would you non-MMORPG players give FFXI a chance if it was released as a game with no online capabilities?

iambasho777
24th Aug 2012, 22:36
Honestly, I would love that. As a college student the amount of free time I actually have to play games varies so much from month to month that I can't risk paying for a MMO subscription and have no time to utilize it. From my short time with the trial version of FFXI, it seemed like it would be an enjoyable game and I would gladly pay something like 50-60 dollars for an offline PS3/PC version of it.

member_10822883
25th Aug 2012, 16:59
I still play the game, but having quit for an upwards of seven years, I can say the thought has crossed my mind a lot. I think it'd be a really audacious project to create an offline version, but I'd be in total support once the game likely no longer supported in 5-6 years time.

member_10217669
8th Sep 2012, 06:12
I just came here to suggest something similar. What I'd like Square-Enix to do is make a single-player game that takes place within the world of Vana'diel using many of the assets of the online game. Give the game it's own story and characters, it could even be a prequel or a sequel. Update the battle system so we can control multiple characters in battle too. Just make it more like a normal numbered Final Fantasy game.

Then release it for the PS3, Vita, and 360; kind of like an HD Collection. Then no matter what happens to FFXI Online, we will still be able to play FFXI.

Grimoire
2nd Jan 2013, 17:15
Happy New Year from FINAL FANTASY XI

www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-0... (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-01-01/new-year-greetings-anime-style-part-vi)

Trunksmad
20th Jan 2013, 01:30
Its been a long time since I played the game before any of the added on stuff happened. I Recently bought a ultimate collectiong for the Xbox 360, then I heard they would take all but the PC servers down. So I am upset about that, but I also be upset if I tried to get one from Steam just to find out they would close FFXI servers. Is there any news if, or when they may do that and just force everyone to FFXIV? Is it safe for me to go ahead and buy a Ultimate collection from Steam?

MarceloX
12th Apr 2013, 15:24
You have to play FFXI to understand why that won't work. And I mean really play, not test out for 6 months. Once you have reach lvl99 with all the jobs you want to use and once you have done the entire storylines of each expansion and add-on, then and only then, can you have a feel for how FFXI is. There is simply too much content to make it offline and the requirements to do even the smallest thing takes a ton of time. They have made the game more user-friendly in the last 2-3 years, but it's still extremely not user-friendly enough for the average gamer and definitely too much to handle for a hardcore gamer, cause they play lots of games and to get anywhere in FFXI, expect to spend ALL (not most, but all) of your free time on that game. If you can't spend at least 35 hours a week on it (and that's bare minimal,) then you really won't get anywhere in that game. You seem more fit for FFXIV, that game is a lot more user friendly and you can spend very little time and still accomplish things. However, FFXIV is gone forever, so you will never see the amazing storyline or the fun of doing a darkhold run (or the incredibly difficult and unfun final 2 battles.) Sure FFXIV ARR is coming soon, but that's an entirely different experience. It's a shame they got rid of FFXI 1.23, it was one of the best FF games I've ever played and I've played them all (even Japanese only ones like Final Fantasy: Unlimited on the PC and Final Fantasy U with U.)

BTW, they have a prequel to FFXI, it's called Wings of the Goddess.

member_10079783
9th May 2013, 12:21
You have to play FFXI to understand why that won't work. And I mean really play, not test out for 6 months. Once you have reach lvl99 with all the jobs you want to use and once you have done the entire storylines of each expansion and add-on, then and only then, can you have a feel for how FFXI is. There is simply too much content to make it offline and the requirements to do even the smallest thing takes a ton of time. They have made the game more user-friendly in the last 2-3 years, but it's still extremely not user-friendly enough for the average gamer and definitely too much to handle for a hardcore gamer, cause they play lots of games and to get anywhere in FFXI, expect to spend ALL (not most, but all) of your free time on that game. If you can't spend at least 35 hours a week on it (and that's bare minimal,) then you really won't get anywhere in that game. You seem more fit for FFXIV, that game is a lot more user friendly and you can spend very little time and still accomplish things. However, FFXIV is gone forever, so you will never see the amazing storyline or the fun of doing a darkhold run (or the incredibly difficult and unfun final 2 battles.) Sure FFXIV ARR is coming soon, but that's an entirely different experience. It's a shame they got rid of FFXI 1.23, it was one of the best FF games I've ever played and I've played them all (even Japanese only ones like Final Fantasy: Unlimited on the PC and Final Fantasy U with U.)

BTW, they have a prequel to FFXI, it's called Wings of the Goddess.

'Wings' really isn't a prequel. ¬*Your 'modern' Vana'deilian character gets thrown back & forth through time is all. ¬*It's more about alternate timelines and stuff too.