PDA

View Full Version : different versions?

mook333
28th Sep 2008, 16:23
my idea is for different versions of the game for each system, the same basic game but say a different player character or a parallel story or something, feel free to say my ideas complete crap

SemiAnonymous
28th Sep 2008, 16:25
No. Oh god no. At absolute best, maybe some exclusive item or something, but not alternate stories. Even that would irk me, as far as I'm concerned, I'm buying Deus Ex to play all of it, I don't want to fork out extra cash to play another version.

Romeo
28th Sep 2008, 19:29
I have to side with Semi, there's nothing that annoys me more than when I invest my money into a product and the other guy, investing the same amount, gets something more, or something I don't have. It's economic suicide for companies.

Overtime
28th Sep 2008, 19:35
The only thing that should be different is the HUD. The rest should be near identical.

Wouldnt work for the devs either...it would be creating 2/3 games at once...they would all end up crap.

3nails4you
28th Sep 2008, 19:40
My thoughts:

everything should be for PC. Consoles make me cry. On a note that the title of this thread made me think of though...

one of the major problems with IW was that it meshed together the DX1 endings and made the setting mandatory. What do you guys think of setting up the third game (if it's a sequel or midquel) so that at the beginning, you choose which ending you picked in the previous game and the story progresses from there? I think it would be a good alternative to a big melting-pot and confusing beginning. Thoughts?

Overtime
28th Sep 2008, 19:45
one of the major problems with IW was that it meshed together the DX1 endings and made the setting mandatory. What do you guys think of setting up the third game (if it's a sequel or midquel) so that at the beginning, you choose which ending you picked in the previous game and the story progresses from there? I think it would be a good alternative to a big melting-pot and confusing beginning. Thoughts?

Would be good but it wouldnt work from a sales point of view.

Many new players will feel as though they should have played the old games.
That's a crap feeling to have when you havent even got to the gameplay yet.

What i think they should do is pick an ending and move from there. They could even selectively mash the endings, but only if it made the current story stronger.

3nails4you
28th Sep 2008, 19:54
Would be good but it wouldnt work from a sales point of view.

Many new players will feel as though they should have played the old games.
That's a crap feeling to have when you havent even got to the gameplay yet.

What i think they should do is pick an ending and move from there. They could even selectively mash the endings, but only if it made the current story stronger.

Well maybe intro videos explaining each ending at the beginning of the game?

Romeo
28th Sep 2008, 20:03
My thoughts:

everything should be for PC. Consoles make me cry. On a note that the title of this thread made me think of though...

No, economically unwise, and it doesn't matter if you dislike consoles, deal with it.

Well maybe intro videos explaining each ending at the beginning of the game?
Or one video capable of explaining every ending. I didn't think that was a problem with Invisible War, I thought it was genious.

3nails4you
28th Sep 2008, 20:22
It made me confuzzled...I either wanted to see JC on posters everywhere saying like "Obey the Overlord", see the Illuminati everywhere with a tight grip, or no communication technology whatsoever...I chose my endings for a REASON :)

Blade_hunter
29th Sep 2008, 01:33
I think we should create a system that can work with both platforms, the PC can have different things, but the versions must be fitted for the specified platform.
They can made different things on the console or the PC, but the thing I'm certain, the game wouldn't be conceived for the PC.
It's an utopia to think the game will be made for the PC, even if it's thats many DX fans wants.

I think many concepts can be proposed to work in both platforms in a different manner, but, it depends if someones agree with or not or if they don't care ...

but many subjects can be considerate with the same manner

If we want a great and rich game in therms of concept, we must try to find the way to fit the game in both platforms, it's not because the game developers are professionals, they have the best solutions for each problems, sometimes the best solutions come from the exterior, no ones have the greatest mind that can find the best solution of each problem.

If we are here it's to share ideas, proposing some things and eventually some help.

3nails4you
29th Sep 2008, 01:56
I think we should create a system that can work with both platforms, the PC can have different things, but the versions must be fitted for the specified platform.
They can made different things on the console or the PC, but the thing I'm certain, the game wouldn't be conceived for the PC.
It's an utopia to think the game will be made for the PC, even if it's thats many DX fans wants.

I think many concepts can be proposed to work in both platforms in a different manner, but, it depends if someones agree with or not or if they don't care ...

but many subjects can be considerate with the same manner

If we want a great and rich game in therms of concept, we must try to find the way to fit the game in both platforms, it's not because the game developers are professionals, they have the best solutions for each problems, sometimes the best solutions come from the exterior, no ones have the greatest mind that can find the best solution of each problem.

If we are here it's to share ideas, proposing some things and eventually some help.

If what you're getting at is that games are moving away from PC altogether, I must disagree...PC gaming is the backbone of the gaming industry, and I don't want to buy 3 different systems every 3 years AND have to buy the games...nope...the game will definitely exist for PC, DX wouldn't desert us like that.

DXeXodus
29th Sep 2008, 03:57
The different version should be as close to the same on all systems so as to give all players an equal gaming experience. Not to mention the development implications of creating multiple protagonists and multiple plot-lines. It would be a developers nightmare and would ultimately arise in a weaker game on all platforms.

I do however, strongly believe that the PC version should have a completely different HUD and inventory to the console versions because both types of systems work very differently in this area and this should definitely be accounted for. Similar to Mass Effect which has a revised HUD for the PC version.

Romeo
29th Sep 2008, 08:55
If what you're getting at is that games are moving away from PC altogether, I must disagree...PC gaming is the backbone of the gaming industry, and I don't want to buy 3 different systems every 3 years AND have to buy the games...nope...the game will definitely exist for PC, DX wouldn't desert us like that.
It was the backbone of the industry. Granted, PC is the single largest used console to play games on, as 80% of gamers play games on the PC. However, common sense tells you why. Most of the population have a PC in their household, making it readily available for gaming use if need be. However, the fact that 67% percent of gamers play games on one of the three current gen consoles should be a sign of the times. These people wont use their consoles to replace all that a PC does, but they bought it purely for gaming. Couple this with the excessive piracy of PC games these days (IGN reported 60% of all PC games played these days are pirated copies. MORE THAN HALF. It is simply becoming less economically sensible for games to focus on PC's these days. Let's quickly whip through the math, shall we?

80% of gamers use a PC as one option. However, 60% percent use pirated copies. 40% of 80 is 32, meaning that the actual market is only 32% of gamers (I know many pirated copies may be old games, sadly, I don't have the figures for that, sorry).

67% are using consoles as an option. The rate of piracy was less than 5% but I can't remember the exact figure, so we'll just go with 5%. 95% of 67? A hair less than 64%, or double the market who'd actually buy on PC.

I don't think the PC will ever be truly phased out by consoles, but I have no doubt what-so-ever that consoles are the paradigm shift these days.

Blade_hunter
29th Sep 2008, 12:30
Why many game sequels comes each time to consoles ?
The game should be close PC and console version, but some things are more maneuverable with a mouse than a console, does some ones wants to keep the "tetris inventory" ?
make similiar systems disallow this kind of inventory, the shortcuts can be at max eight for a console, except if they use an other system than the turok 2 quick selection, many games uses this (bioshock is an example)

PC allows most possibilities because its controller "mouse and keyboard"

Keyboards have a lot of keys and the mouse is the most maneuverable designation controller

space shooters are often designed for joysticks, bu when I have the opportunity to use a mouse I used the mouse and it's very maneuverable.

PC and consoles must have the closest version, but some things can't be identical, Bioshock even if it's a console game, have 2 different versions, even if they are very close.

the maneuverability and many things can't be the same console to PC

Some console games when they put exactly the same version Console to PC, the game becomes a disaster, Snowblind everyone ?

If they keep the game at the same state for each platform no ones can be satisfied, console to PC aiming problems and a too slow game intrusive hud, etc, PC to console, maneuverability problems, game too fast, etc...

I dislike the actual philosophy of the gaming industry but that's the truth, no ?

3nails4you
29th Sep 2008, 14:10
Consoles are, I agree, the biggest thing, especially now. And the focus of the market is definitely there, I agree. I just meant that Eidos and other game manufacturers wouldn't leave PC's completely out, the market there IS too big to remove from the industry.

Spiffmeister
29th Sep 2008, 14:11
Keep it the same, more then one story will mess everything up.

(This is what they'll be doing anyway duh)

Blade_hunter
29th Sep 2008, 16:00
They don't leave the PCs of course because there is a lot of PC gamers, I agree, but most games are conceived for consoles and this is a sign about the quality of many games.

For the game manufacturers it's more easy to make a game with a little content and adapt this for a PC than make a great game with a rich and reduce the content for the other support.

DX is an example of this, the PS2 version was reduced even if they enhance a bit the graphics ...

Romeo
29th Sep 2008, 20:25
Oh, no without a doubt, they will not cut PC. Many games still sell PC versions, and with Deus Ex, almost all it's return buyer's are the PC crowd. The console market might actually constitute the smaller market for this particular game.

Overtime
29th Sep 2008, 20:44
Oh, no without a doubt, they will not cut PC. Many games still sell PC versions, and with Deus Ex, almost all it's return buyer's are the PC crowd. The console market might actually constitute the smaller market for this particular game.

I dont think so. Remember that many of the PC gamers who played DX1&2 will now own consoles. It's hard to say how the sales will be shared across the
different platforms.

My feeling is, that if the game doesnt sell extremely well on consoles(better than PC), the game will have missed one of the important targets the devs have set.

Anyhow, if the statistics are affected significantly by the return crowd, then the game will be considered a failure. They need new players, a new crowd.
Only a huge amount of new players will make the game a financial success.

DXeXodus
30th Sep 2008, 03:55
They need new players, a new crowd.
Only a huge amount of new players will make the game a financial success.

That's why an extensive advertising campaign is necessary. Too few gamers even know about the Deus Ex series, let alone want to purchase the games.

rockyrr
30th Sep 2008, 17:37
The idea is good.. to have diffrent story lines

El_Bel
30th Sep 2008, 18:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-uulRB1OmY

A funny video about who buys games. I will say it until i am heard. In the PC market its the 30+ people who buy the GOOD games. PC has a market, we are just are picky about what we buy!!

Most of all i posted the video because tis funny :rasp:

minus0ne
30th Sep 2008, 21:47
The idea is good.. to have diffrent story lines
No it's not. I think very few DX fans (or even 'regular' gamers) would accept having to buy a 360, PS3, Wii on top of keeping a nice gaming PC, just to be able to experience all parallel DX3 storylines :mad2:

Mindmute
1st Oct 2008, 00:14
Like other people in this thread, I'm against this idea, simply because when I purchase a game I want to purchase the full product. I don't want to have to purchase multiple copies for several different platforms to experience the full scope of the game.

If this actually happened there would be a good chance I'd just go back to Playing Deus Ex1 and not buy this game at all...

DXeXodus
1st Oct 2008, 04:02
Eidos will never do this. It makes absolutely no sense. No need to worry as far as I'm concerned.

Abram730
7th Oct 2008, 06:49
The different version should be as close to the same on all systems so as to give all players an equal gaming experience. Not to mention the development implications of creating multiple protagonists and multiple plot-lines. It would be a developers nightmare and would ultimately arise in a weaker game on all platforms.

I do however, strongly believe that the PC version should have a completely different HUD and inventory to the console versions because both types of systems work very differently in this area and this should definitely be accounted for. Similar to Mass Effect which has a revised HUD for the PC version.

I'm soooo happy to hear that:D :D :D :D
I agree 100%

how to include a type interface and handle that on the console
my idea
if there is say a typing interface for hacking all you need to do for the console would be use a dictionary hacking system with keywords built into articles pda/data pads ext... so looking at them loads a hint into the dictionary file and as the random numbers and words fly the password comes up.. same with door locks. if you wanted to handle pc player maybe remembering a password or code, add a cheat option to console after you beat it to remember codes and passwords, as in I looked at the book last time so I know the hint.

console games seem not to mind not having a keyboard and my friend told me they do have a keyboard for his ps3.. perhaps having a keyboard could enable a console option.
just some ideas.

PS:
I remember a news report way back about people leaving their user names and passwords in their cubicles and some having them on post it's on there monitors. I thought of DX when I heard it. LOL

Necros
7th Oct 2008, 16:50
The only thing that should be different is the HUD.
:thumbsup: I agree, this is very important. And I think there should be many options in the menus to configure the graphics, the HUD and the gameplay for our taste.