PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else kind of over the pointless complaining?

LC is Me
25th Sep 2008, 22:01
*SORRY, MY WALLS OF TEXT AREN'T COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE. AND THIS TIME AROUND, IF YOU AREnN'T QUITE GETTING MY VIBE IN THIS TOPIC, PLEASE ASK ME TO VERIFY MY POINT, BECAUSE THAT WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM LAST TIME...EHEHEHEHE...:D *

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's true.
Everyone has the free right to express their feelings about something. Also true.

Both these points are basically why we come to the forums, am I right? To express our feelings on the game and validate any opinion, rumor, or statement in regards to that game.

But the one thing that irks me to no end is pointless complaining. I can understand being upset about details like gameplay, the storyline, controls, etc., and as I get used to it, I'm starting to be more understanding of the not-so-important details, like footprints, and how her hair blows in the breeze, whatever is in relation to things most people really don't pay too much attention to. I understand: you just want the game to look up to par and in the same standards that TR has set. You want the best for it (at least, so I think).:scratch: :)

But, there is only so much you can say about a game when you've only seen certain parts of the game through media, screenshots, and pre-review articles. We have barely seen the real JUICY stuff (with the exception of the GamePlay trailer ["Drop it Zip, or I'll drop you]). They are just teasing us at the moment.

Complaining over silly things, like, idk, "wrinkles", is not only pointless, but very judgmental, on account of the fact that we haven't played the game or even seen that much of it.

"Well, LC, what about all the trailers and gameplay vids out there? There's alot of that out. What do you have to say about that? We've seen a lot more than you are giving us credit for."

Well, I'll give you credit there: there are a lot out. But it's usually duplicate videos, or duplicated videos with certain parts edited out (i.e. the many people on youtube who posted the same Liepzig video that showed the Thailand cutscene...just an example). There were two or three newer videos released recently and some more screenshots. But the videos were pretty much some of what we've seen already, besides Mexico. The screenshots were good and new.

Sorry to talk your heads off, but I'm just saying: chillax. I understand you gotta have something to do while waiting for the release, but so does everyone else. Why not direct you're deep urge to get the game positively in the forums?
:D

Add to a discussion, make a game, something. But can we cut down on the negativity a bit? It puts I, and a few others, on edge and makes me a bit of a tart towards people.

>___>;;

Randy 54
25th Sep 2008, 22:12
Alot of people also come here for information and maybe make new friends.
Mostly people here share something in common, so when they complain, they are actually getting something off their minds to people who they hope will understand.

crazyraider-147
25th Sep 2008, 22:14
hmm you are right LCIM.

LC is Me
25th Sep 2008, 22:17
Alot of people also come here for information and maybe make new friends.
Mostly people here share something in common, so when they complain, they are actually getting something off their minds to people who they hope will understand.
There's a way to vent without being negative and childish though, isn't there?

:P

And I've only seen a few people complain about something decent that actually had discussion. I'm referring to the topics that are pointless and the things that really have no effect on the outcome of the game, like hair length and "wrinkles", wherever those are.

Rai
25th Sep 2008, 22:26
I agree with you LC, there has been far too much nit-picking. TRU isn't even out yet and there are people who are deeming it a failure for the silliest things.

No-one can tell if the game will be any good until they play the game and see how the plot/controls/general gameplay is. Trivial and superficial things like 'Lara's hair is wrong' or 'her nose is the wrong shape' with many explanation marks are just plain silly.

By the looks of the game in trailers, screen shots and even previews etc, TRU is looking to be darn fine a game. We should be praising it and thanking CD for putting so much thought into all the aspects that people talked about after Legend and Anniversary. It looks like they are at least attempting to listen to the fans' views, which is all any of us can ask for. Sure they cannot please everyone but being nitpicky about hair/wrinkles or whatnot is not the way to a better game next time.

Tomb_Raiderx
25th Sep 2008, 22:48
*SORRY, MY WALLS OF TEXT AREN'T COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE. AND THIS TIME AROUND, IF YOU AREnN'T QUITE GETTING MY VIBE IN THIS TOPIC, PLEASE ASK ME TO VERIFY MY POINT, BECAUSE THAT WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM LAST TIME...EHEHEHEHE...:D *

Everyone has the free right to express their feelings about something. Also true.

Both these points are basically why we come to the forums, am I right? To express our feelings on the game and validate any opinion, rumor, or statement in regards to that game.

But the one thing that irks me to no end is pointless complaining. I can understand being upset about details like gameplay, the storyline, controls, etc., and as I get used to it, I'm starting to be more understanding of the not-so-important details, like footprints, and how her hair blows in the breeze, whatever is in relation to things most people really don't pay too much attention to. I understand: you just want the game to look up to par and in the same standards that TR has set. You want the best for it (at least, so I think).:scratch: :)

But, there is only so much you can say about a game when you've only seen certain parts of the game through media, screenshots, and pre-review articles. We have barely seen the real JUICY stuff (with the exception of the GamePlay trailer ["Drop it Zip, or I'll drop you]). They are just teasing us at the moment.

Complaining over silly things, like, idk, "wrinkles", is not only pointless, but very judgmental, on account of the fact that we haven't played the game or even seen that much of it.

"Well, LC, what about all the trailers and gameplay vids out there? There's alot of that out. What do you have to say about that? We've seen a lot more than you are giving us credit for."

Well, I'll give you credit there: there are a lot out. But it's usually duplicate videos, or duplicated videos with certain parts edited out (i.e. the many people on youtube who posted the same Liepzig video that showed the Thailand cutscene...just an example). There were two or three newer videos released recently and some more screenshots. But the videos were pretty much some of what we've seen already, besides Mexico. The screenshots were good and new.

Sorry to talk your heads off, but I'm just saying: chillax. I understand you gotta have something to do while waiting for the release, but so does everyone else. Why not direct you're deep urge to get the game positively in the forums?

Add to a discussion, make a game, something. But can we cut down on the negativity a bit? It puts I, and a few others, on edge and makes me a bit of a tart towards people.

>___>;;

I agree 100%, also the wrinkle thing is really starting to piss me off, she has no wrinkles, I don't see anything wrong with her face, if anything there creases and creases are different than wrinkles because that's just natural and young people have them, and she's 28 so she doesn't have wrinkles at that age, and since she'll always be 28(confirmed by CD) she will never have wrinkles.

And I've always paid attention to the little details like footprints, how her hair moves, rain showing on her, how a green hint will show when she's by foliage and how the lighting and other light will reflect off her, for some reason little details like that get me even more excited, maybe because it makes the game more realistic. But I'm just excited for the game in general, and I don't have any complaints on what we've heard and seen so far, nothings bothered me, all I know is the game looks amazing and extremely realistic and I have a feeling it will be the best TR game!:)

Randy 54
25th Sep 2008, 23:00
Okay LC, now I see your point. I agree 100% with you and as a matter of fact, I had made comments about these posts being juvenile a while ago.

LC is Me
26th Sep 2008, 00:12
I agree with you LC, there has been far too much nit-picking. TRU isn't even out yet and there are people who are deeming it a failure for the silliest things.

No-one can tell if the game will be any good until they play the game and see how the plot/controls/general gameplay is. Trivial and superficial things like 'Lara's hair is wrong' or 'her nose is the wrong shape' with many explanation marks are just plain silly.

By the looks of the game in trailers, screen shots and even previews etc, TRU is looking to be darn fine a game. We should be praising it and thanking CD for putting so much thought into all the aspects that people talked about after Legend and Anniversary. It looks like they are at least attempting to listen to the fans' views, which is all any of us can ask for. Sure they cannot please everyone but being nitpicky about hair/wrinkles or whatnot is not the way to a better game next time.
Exactly.
Either that or people WANT it to fail.
It's crazy. It's like they aren't happy if they can't find something stupid to complain about. And even if it wasn't a stupid reason, they still complain in a childish way.

I agree 100%, also the wrinkle thing is really starting to piss me off, she has no wrinkles, I don't see anything wrong with her face, if anything there creases and creases are different than wrinkles because that's just natural and young people have them, and she's 28 so she doesn't have wrinkles at that age, and since she'll always be 28(confirmed by CD) she will never have wrinkles.

And I've always paid attention to the little details like footprints, how her hair moves, rain showing on her, how a green hint will show when she's by foliage and how the lighting and other light will reflect off her, for some reason little details like that get me even more excited, maybe because it makes the game more realistic. But I'm just excited for the game in general, and I don't have any complaints on what we've heard and seen so far, nothings bothered me, all I know is the game looks amazing and extremely realistic and I have a feeling it will be the best TR game!:)

Well, when I said pay attention, I meant judging the game based on those factors.
:)

But I understand ya.

Okay LC, now I see your point. I agree 100% with you and as a matter of fact, I had made comments about these posts being juvenile a while ago.
No problem.

And yes, they start to get very childish, especially when someone comes along and proves them wrong, then they feel the need to get prissy.

natebrooks
26th Sep 2008, 01:29

>___>;;

The length of this post is WAY too long.
I'm going to be honest, I only read a couple of sentences because I was not going to read that entire post.
I'm sure whatever you were trying to say could have been accomplished in a paragraph.

Short, Sweet, Simple, and Clean is the way. :)

Atlantis3735
26th Sep 2008, 05:56
There's nothing wrong with the occasional big post.
Makes a good read, and you feel that you've said what you needed to when the post is this long.

Anyway I've already posted so many posts telling people to quit their complaining as it's almost complete nonsense, so it goes without saying that the nit-picking has gotten on my nerves.

Rachie
26th Sep 2008, 06:32
Is anyone else kind of over the pointless complaining?

I think I speak for us all when I say:

YES. My god YES.

Atlantis3735
26th Sep 2008, 06:36
:lol:
Haha. That's excellent Rachie.
:lol:

josh1122
26th Sep 2008, 07:47
Trying to get rid of complainers/nit pickers is like trying to get rid of cockroaches, step on one,then 2-3 others show up and the process repeats no matter how many get smashed

Lo
26th Sep 2008, 12:11
Firstly, there's nothing wrong with long posts so long as they are informative and not repetitive. I am renowned for my lengthy missives :D

I happen to suspect that a lot of people join up just to rubbish the game before they've even played it and some existing members only come on to post antagonistic comments in the hope of irking fans of the Tomb Raider franchise.

Staunch fans such as myself, will criticise in a constructive manner but have a tendency to reserve judgement until they have played the game.

Nothing wrong with a critique but to start slating a game yet to be released is like trying to write a review of a movie that isn't out on the big screen yet.

I have my "suspicions" that Underworld will be problematic to play but I couldn't say for sure yet. But that's because I am an old-skool gamer who can't get on too well with mouse and keyboard controls on the newer games. It's unlikely I'll be commenting in the Underworld board with any regularity since I have hardly touched Anniversary yet, haven't finished Legend and am still stuck in AoD :whistle: :o

Rexie
26th Sep 2008, 12:18
The one and only thing that bugs me about CD and Eidos, that Laras has become their cashcow.

Lo
26th Sep 2008, 12:30

The length of this post is WAY too long.
I'm going to be honest, I only read a couple of sentences because I was not going to read that entire post.
I'm sure whatever you were trying to say could have been accomplished in a paragraph.

Short, Sweet, Simple, and Clean is the way. :)

A touch condascending of you I feel Nate ;)

You can't say in one sentence that you have not read the post in it's entirety and then in the next, suggest it could have been shortened :rasp:

qwerty
26th Sep 2008, 12:46
lara has wrinkles and gameplay SUCKS.but i am not complaining obviously.this is what i feel when i see gameplay vids and the vignettes!and what do you want?to shut up and pretend that everything in-game is super?

LaraCroftRox
26th Sep 2008, 13:05
lara has wrinkles and gameplay SUCKS.but i am not complaining obviously.this is what i feel when i see gameplay vids and the vignettes!and what do you want?to shut up and pretend that everything in-game is super?

Again, what's wrong with Lara having wrinkles? :scratch: Anyway, I cant see that she does as it is....
Agreed totally LCIM. :D

Lara_Super_Fan
26th Sep 2008, 13:23
There's a way to vent without being negative and childish though, isn't there?

:P

And I've only seen a few people complain about something decent that actually had discussion. I'm referring to the topics that are pointless and the things that really have no effect on the outcome of the game, like hair length and "wrinkles", wherever those are.

You don't really expect for everyone to have a positive opinion, do you? It's just not the world we live in. If someone has a negative opinion, you should respect that, even if it is a little harsh. It's like if someone had a positive opinion and it was too kind, people would OVER like it. If that happened I wouldn't see anyone saying anything about it, but if a opinion is too negative people have a sissy fit over it. Okay, it's understandable, if someone used swear words, but even then, you should just tell them to calm down not throw back more negativity.

A few weeks ago someone started a thread saying that they were gonna start their own TR game, I said that i thought that he will never pull it off and that I didn't like the story. You should of seen the kinda of c**p people threw back at me. I said sorry but people were still mean.

I'm just saying, everyone should just respect everyone, even if they don't agree with them. EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.

thanx for reading.

Rai
26th Sep 2008, 13:50
@ Lara_Super_Fan, you are right, everyone does have their own opinions over things and not everybody is gonna like everything they see about TRU. Opinions are going to be expressed and rightly so. If that opinion is expressed in a mature manner and constructive.

LC is trying to point out that complaining about something small about Lara's looks or something they see that won't have an effect on game-play and plot etc is all a bit nonsensical really. And sometimes the criticism is just a childish moan where there doesn't seem to be a valid argument. How is the length of Lara's hair or the existence of wrinkles or the shape of her right toe going to effect the gameplay or even someone's enjoyment of the game as a whole?

There is a huge difference between arguing constructively and plain whining for the sake of it. No-one is denying someone the chance to view their opinions, but some of this stuff going on about the merely superficial is over the top and unnecessary. Saying a game is a failure before its release is a tad presumptuous and a little silly.

We can judge the game only up to a point when based off the screen shots or trailers. Only when the game is out and we are playing it can we start to see the value it has as a game in the TR franchise.

If people don't like TRU after they have played then their points will be valid, won't they?

Lara_Super_Fan
26th Sep 2008, 13:54
@ Lara_Super_Fan, you are right, everyone does have their own opinions over things and not everybody is gonna like everything they see about TRU. Opinions are going to be expressed and rightly so. If that opinion is expressed in a mature manner and constructive.

LC is trying to point out that complaining about something small about Lara's looks or something they see that won't have an effect on game-play and plot etc is all a bit nonsensical really. And sometimes the criticism is just a childish moan where there doesn't seem to be a valid argument. How is the length of Lara's hair or the existence of wrinkles or the shape of her right toe going to effect the gameplay?

There is a huge difference between arguing constructively and plain whining for the sake of it. No-one is denying someone the chance to view their opinions, but some of this stuff going on about the merely superficial is over the top and unnecessary. Saying a game is a failure before its release is a tad presumptuous and a little silly.

We can judge the game only up to a point when based off the screen shots or trailers. Only when the game is out and we are playing it can we start to see the value it has as a game in the TR franchise.

If people don't like TRU after they have played then their points will be valid, won't they?

Yes, and I completely agree. And thanx for not responding in negative manner.;) ;)

Jurre
26th Sep 2008, 15:22
My vision on this is very simple: here it is:

People have the right to say what they want, thats right. But that doesn't mean they're not still responsible for what they say and what the reactions on their comments might be.

You have the right to cross the Gobi dessert on a bicycle, but then you'll have to accept that I will call you an attention-seeking lunatic.

You have the right to yell over and over again that this or that is not a Tomb Raider game because Lara's shoelaces should have a different colour but then you'll have to accept that I will call you a troll with an attitude that even a crusader would dismiss as 'fanatical'.

LC is Me
26th Sep 2008, 18:07
You don't really expect for everyone to have a positive opinion, do you? It's just not the world we live in. If someone has a negative opinion, you should respect that, even if it is a little harsh. It's like if someone had a positive opinion and it was too kind, people would OVER like it. If that happened I wouldn't see anyone saying anything about it, but if a opinion is too negative people have a sissy fit over it. Okay, it's understandable, if someone used swear words, but even then, you should just tell them to calm down not throw back more negativity.

A few weeks ago someone started a thread saying that they were gonna start their own TR game, I said that i thought that he will never pull it off and that I didn't like the story. You should of seen the kinda of c**p people threw back at me. I said sorry but people were still mean.

I'm just saying, everyone should just respect everyone, even if they don't agree with them. EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.

thanx for reading.

There is nothing wrong with having a negative opinion, but it's all in how you express that opinion that makes you sound childish, immature, or down right ignorant about it.

You aren't understanding my post. Nothing wrong with that, but what you were saying wasn't the point I was trying to make. Like my last thread, I'm not trying to force my opinions on someone else, just saying that complaining like a whiner is no way to get anything done. Expressing your feelings without acting like a douche is quite easy and simple to do.

And I've already said that if you were to be nicer, you wouldn't be treated like crap. Nothing wrong with constructive critisism, but I think you take it a bit too far sometims, LSR.

I'm sure you aren't that bad of a preson. Just work on it.
=P