PDA

View Full Version : Tomb-Exams

Falcon
24th Sep 2008, 21:11
How do you avoid playing tomb raider when u have to study?

I have exams in about a months time, and with underworld to be released shortly, it's so tempting to go to the forums and play the old games. Ever played tr songs while u study? The legend ones make nice backround music. Aniway what have u done to keep lara at bay (or not) when those papers come up!

(it's 12:03 am. If anyone asks, i'm studying and u never saw me on eidos forums:whistle: )

Rai
24th Sep 2008, 21:23
Ha! I'm not at school anymore, so don't have to worry about all that! :rasp:

Good luck with your studies and exams when you get them and at least when TRU is released you'll have something to do during your breaks!

*psst, put yourself in invisible mode through the User CP panel* ;)

Atlantis3735
24th Sep 2008, 21:45
Tomb Raider comes before studying for me.
I do more than fine in exams anyway, so why limit my raiding?
:)

ahphooey
24th Sep 2008, 22:11
Don't starve yourself or your brain. Just create a time during your study to break and play for a bit. Then, go back to studying. OR, do a small review test for each section, then if you pass, play a little longer as a reward. Lara would tell you to do your studies...you can't raid like her without great intelligence. :D

UMIST_For_Ever
24th Sep 2008, 23:35
15 minute blocks of study interspersed with breaks for tea, coffee or raiding is the scientifically proven way!!

:p

rg_001100
25th Sep 2008, 03:13
15 minute blocks of study interspersed with breaks for tea, coffee or raiding is the scientifically proven way!!

:p

15 Minutes! :eek: That's really low.

I doubt you'll be able to study with a computer or TV in your room/study area.
If you need notes from the internet, at the start of your study program print them off, and so long as the computer isn't a family computer, unplug the cables, and pack up the computer till after exams. (Or put it in some place where it won't distract you).
If you're the only one who plays on the game console, if that's where you raid, don't even think about having it plugged in. Loan the games to your friends (who don't like TR so much), if you really want to avoid it...
There's always going to be something to distract you, find out what does this, and get rid of as much as possible. Study in an environment where you can focus well. No music apart from Baroque music, or something. (Rumour has it that it helps study..).
Don't study for much longer than 50-55 minute chunks. It's pretty hard to (intensely) focus for longer than that. Take a short 5-15 minute break, have a snack or go for a short walk, then back to study.

Have a study program in place so you know exactly what you're going to study and when. Stick to it.
Condense your notes so that you still can understand everything in the topic from them, and then condense them further. Write notes everywhere you go (in your house...), places you look at frequently.

Study works differently for different people, but most of that holds true for everyone. Study sucks, but it's worth it. I don't think I'll ever met a man who loved to study... but keep at it.

If pictures help you remember stuff, draw cartoons of what is happening. (No need to draw great detail of the people, though).
If catchy little tunes help you remember things, create a couple of them related to study.
If acronyms help you study, use them.

Tomb-Dude
25th Sep 2008, 18:32
I split the differencw when i had to study, few hours here for studying and have a day or something relaxing where i met friend, or something.
Weekends are great if you want to play old school tomb raider games. So yeah, just even it out really.
Your only at school once, games can wait education can't ;)

And when your in exams you honestly shouldn't be thinking about anything else apart from the paper infront of you, that paper needs all the concentration it can get. ;)

Devil666
25th Sep 2008, 18:46
Well I'm no t at school anymore, but university is even more serious business, but I go to work at the morning, then to my classes and then, when I'm at home I study for about an hour or two ... Then the whoooole evening is mine for whatever I want to do (TR playing for example) Saturdays and Sundays are almost free for me :)

_Love2Raid_
25th Sep 2008, 19:09
I always keep deferring it till the last minute. When I know I can't procrastinate things any longer, I lock myself up for one to two weeks in my study room with books piled up my desk and LOADS of food. :D
When I am really concentrated about something and I know it must be done, nothing can distract me and I've always managed to be fully prepared for a test.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed it, but a little sleep deprivation from studying till late in the night can really improve your mood the next day........:lol: :lol:

(I'm crazy, I know)

lara 4 ever
25th Sep 2008, 19:38
Well I'm no t at school anymore, but university is even more serious business, but I go to work at the morning, then to my classes and then, when I'm at home I study for about an hour or two ... Then the whoooole evening is mine for whatever I want to do (TR playing for example) Saturdays and Sundays are almost free for me :)

You're lucky... From 8:00am till 7:30pm I'm at school. Afterwards, I finish H/W at 9:00pm so I'm free after 10:00pm:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

LC is Me
25th Sep 2008, 20:26
I really never have the need to study until SOLs come.

I usually am okay when quiz/test day comes. So I have no advice.
Sorry!
:D

1q2q3q4q5q
25th Sep 2008, 20:40
i don't need to revise really untill about 3 weeks before are GCSEs but i find a good thing to do is to play TRL on easy if you can't be bothered to do any more:D

LadyLaraCroft12
25th Sep 2008, 20:50
I usually play before homework, then after if i have time. The key is knowing how long you need to do your work. maybe if i do my homework before i play i'll get it all done instead of doing it in homeroom

Falcon
27th Sep 2008, 05:56
Hey thanx guys for the great advice! Good thing tomb raider underworld comes out after the exams, thanx CD. My professor once said something which i'll never forget:

"Don't do your best. Find out what you need to do to get where you want to be, and do it!"

Good luck to the rest of u still at school and more luck for those at varsity. And hey like ahphooey said, Lara would want u to study so stop messing around and go study! (more to myself :mad2:)