PDA

View Full Version : Some interior TR:Underworld screens that may demonstrate DX graphics

rhalibus
24th Sep 2008, 00:51
here (http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb//GamesRadar/us/Games/T/Tomb%20Raider%20Underworld/Bulk%20Viewers/Multi/2008-09-23/Med_Ship_3--screenshot.jpg) and here (http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb//GamesRadar/us/Games/T/Tomb%20Raider%20Underworld/Bulk%20Viewers/Multi/2008-09-23/Med_Ship_4--screenshot.jpg)--the lighting will probably be different, but the Crystal Dynamics engine is probably the same. Sorry if they're a bit large...:-)

UPDATE: Just want to acknowledge more directly that these shots are simply shots from the Tomb Raider: Underground version of the Crystal Dynamics engine--that's all. DX3 shots will obviously be from a different version of the Crystal Dynamics engine and consequently have their own unique look. It's just cool seeing industrial looking shots from a late version of the CD engine...:)

Apollonius
25th Sep 2008, 09:43
Nice find! Looks very DX-esque to me :p

Like her pants too! :rasp:

DXeXodus
25th Sep 2008, 10:43
Apart from the pixelation it looks good. I'm sure that DX3 will take this even further though.

Unstoppable
25th Sep 2008, 13:46
ohh yeah laura show off that spandex baby :D.

AaronJ
25th Sep 2008, 19:13
ohh yeah laura show off that spandex baby :D.

Suddenly I have a vision of Mrs. Denton saying something similar when DX3 is released.

Jerion
25th Sep 2008, 19:21
I'm not sure about the scale of those screenshots- either those a HUGE passageways or Laura suddenly got very small. O_o

Maximus
25th Sep 2008, 23:36
I admit. I stared at her very nice POSTERIOR.

minus0ne
25th Sep 2008, 23:37
I think people are too obsessed with the engine. The engine is only a tool, or even just a frame/canvas. It'll be by the developers' art direction that this game will be given its visual style.

Other than that it looks quite unremarkable. A little normal mapping here and there, big ugly low-poly models for some objects and a non-descriptive industrial location.

I'm secretly hoping DX3's art direction will be something else entirely ;)

Jerion
25th Sep 2008, 23:49
I think people are too obsessed with the engine. The engine is only a tool, or even just a frame/canvas. It'll be by the developers' art direction that this game will be given its visual style.

Other than that it looks quite unremarkable. A little normal mapping here and there, big ugly low-poly models for some objects and a non-descriptive industrial location.

I'm secretly hoping DX3's art direction will be something else entirely ;)

Same here. I think those screenshots are to provide a baseline comparison of what the engine is capable of.

Romeo
26th Sep 2008, 03:22
I don't really care what engine it's released on, as long as theirs some sort of editing software released with it. Looking back, I'm still playing Oblivion, Morrowind, Starcraft, and hell: Even Total Annihilation (which is archaic). The reason being, I can alter and tune these games as I see fit, as they were all released with either first-party mod-support (Morrowind and Oblivion, and to a basic extent, Starcraft) or community first-party mod support was launched shortly after the game (Starcraft added a few more option to mod the game, and Total Annihilation allowed for virtually every known aspect of the game to be altered).

Without a doubt, the only reason I'm still on Total Annihilation, is because it is the pinnicle of modification possibilities (you can make/edit units, races, buildings, campaigns, armies, maps and map-styles. Some people even turned the game into a RTS-Space Combat game, and someone even managed to make the whole game completely 3D and zoomable (which is nuts for a 2D, 1994 game). With any luck, I'll be able to happily mod my way in Deux Ex 3 and Fallout 3 when they're both released.

Blade_hunter
26th Sep 2008, 13:43
The unreal engines when used in DX are often pulled down, in the first it was very understandable, (lot of movable items, great levels, and the fact they need to fit the game for slower computers, etc), for DX 2 it doesn't offer better graphics than UT 2K4 even if we have some features UT 2k4 doesn't have ...

I don't know if for the underworld engine, the graphics were lowered or not, but I prefer to see lower graphics and a great gameplay than the contrary.

Anyway the graphics still good, if they made stylish things (characters, ojects, etc) some graphics engine aren't bad but make an universe without style makes the game with a bad look ...

Jerion
26th Sep 2008, 20:05
I'd rather great graphics and great gameplay, myself. The two are not mutually exclusive. :)

Romeo
26th Sep 2008, 20:33
Definately not, I with the last dude, I want both. =P

But again, more than good graphics from the engine, I want the tools to mod said engine, and the game.

rhalibus
27th Sep 2008, 00:07
An interesting theme that the DX design explores is the concept of "verisimilitude"--the appearance of being real as opposed to realistic graphics.

Crysis, Doom 3 and MOH: Modern Warfare all pushed the graphics envelope, but each lacked a feeling that you were actually in an immersive world in which you could do anything. Only Deus Ex gave you that sense that you were in a real world--and although the level design was fantastic, there certainly wasn't an abundance of normal-mapped textures or high-polygon models. In fact, DX2 played with normal maps, dynamic shadows and other graphics jargon over expansive levels and the design backfired.

I know everyone wants gameplay and graphics, but have been too few immersive games in which graphics wasn't the priority (System Shock 2, Thief, WOW, Civilization, Tie Fighter), and too many beautiful photo-realistic rail-shooters.

Just my two rusty (non-bump mapped) cents. :)

Blade_hunter
27th Sep 2008, 14:35
I want both too :) but I prefer they make lower graphics, than lower gameplay, if they can't do both.
Many games mentioned by rhalibus are more immersive than prettier games, because they propose an ambient and a great universe, great interactivity, the interactivity adds more immersion than pretty and shiny graphics, what is more important a game when you can interact with many things in the game world or a game with expensive graphics where we can do a low amount of things ?

Have a great graphics and great gameplay is a thing that everyone wants I want too, but I prefer they pull down the graphics than the gameplay....

3nails4you
27th Sep 2008, 16:25
I agree with these people...an engine or even screenshot for 1 game on an engine is no reason to make comparisons to the game. For every engine, textures can be modified, physics can be modified, style can be modified (ex. FPS vs. Platformer etc.), interface can be modified...it's all about what the game designers are willing to do with a game in a specific engine...don't get too worked up about what engine the game is on.

DXeXodus
29th Sep 2008, 05:20
Crysis, Doom 3 and COD: Modern Warfare all pushed the graphics envelope.....

Fixed :thumbsup:

Spiffmeister
29th Sep 2008, 14:15
Looks good but I reckon we can expect the game to be a lot darker lighting wise.

rhalibus
29th Sep 2008, 23:27
Fixed :thumbsup:

Oops. I'm glad I didn't mention my original example, "Doom 3: The Lich King"...:)

DXeXodus
30th Sep 2008, 10:33
Just finished watching one of the longer TRU trailers and the engine actually looks quite beautiful. Some really nice lighting and effects. Going to be great to see how DX3 will look on this engine. I have high hopes personally.

general kane
30th Sep 2008, 14:27
will its good ...... :whistle:

anyways the game needs an engine that looks great because if thy really want to promote DX to people who dont know it thy have to put things that havent ben featured in any of the previous games . :nut:

Jerion
30th Sep 2008, 16:19
will its good ...... :whistle:

anyways the game needs an engine that looks great because if thy really want to promote DX to people who dont know it thy have to put things that havent ben featured in any of the previous games . :nut:

Oh, the irony of this statement.