PDA

View Full Version : Bloooood baaaankiing across the univeeeerseeee

Sluagh
14th Jan 2014, 11:34
I was thinking about the concept of blood banks, somewhat springing off Razaiim's thread about first born roles, ( http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=8953 ), and was wondering what the idea behind this was. Are we assuming that from blood banking we're talking about blood being some kind of currency, or that the Razielim are somehow storing and managing blood, keeping it for a rainy day, or using it for pupations? In the latter sense, this control is surely going to have riled the other Lieutenants rather a lot, as it suggests they don't have a lot of say over a useful commodity. Once they had destroyed the clan however, it must have some serious potential ramifications:

- Perhaps they don't have the knowledge to easily manage pupations, and thus shape their evolution/devolution, explaining how awry their attempts had gone in later eras (alongside Nupraptor's curse as the main problem, etc.)
- The remaining Razielim, led by Eskandor, want large quantities of blood themselves to restore their beautiful form, and so are not necessarily happy sharing what they know with the other clans, who are a threat to them.
- Without being able to store quantities of blood they need to freshly kill more humans, which involves making more and more blood farms, which involves capturing more resistant humans, fattening them up (which would increase blood volume etc.) to compensate for not being able to store blood that would otherwise go to waste. The whole thing is very labour intensive. In an interesting comparison, I read that one of the reasons the Aztecs were so unsuccessful resisting the European invaders, despite being an advanced people in their own right, was that they wanted to drag many of them off for sacrifice. Capturing somebody and incapacitating them is much harder then killing, especially when they are trying to kill you. If we factor in the possible notion that a lot of the humans that exist in blood farms in Nosgoth's period, are descendants of those people who Kain took in his pillage from Meridian, the possibility exists that these humans having becoming particularly docile, or feral, and thus aren't very much of a threat, contrasted with humans from the wilderness who are pretty tough and cunning. Particularly violent and disturbing episodes forge hard characters, and it has taken real cruelty like that inflicted on the Alchemists for them to rise up and fight their oppressors, and even then it was part inspired by the madness/vision of one individual - Elustra. Thus the vast majority of the humans live like beasts with little sense of history - a kind of innocence like HG Wells' Eloi in The Time Machine. Anyway, I digress a bit...my main point - capturing new humans for blood farms is a bit like filling your pigsty with a load of wild boar.
- This need to capture some enemy humans leads to dispute of tactics between the various Lieutenants that is never fully resolved during the war. The more superior clans try and impose rationing on the lower clans, who undermine this by breaking the imposed fasts.

- A capture mission of this nature might be quite interesting, though I have no idea how the mechanics of it would work. Maybe the vampires get to permanently take one (or several) humans out of action, having to move them to the other side of the arena, but have limited defences whilst doing so. It would be far less frustrating, if these humans were NPCs rather than participating players, although the humans having to fight with a man-down would be fun. Just an idea anyway.

Vampmaster
14th Jan 2014, 12:34
The blood banking thing made me think a good custom ability for the Razielim might be to take blood from the vampires with lots of health and give it to those who had took lots of damage. It's a tradeoff, but it could mean the difference between a number of allies dying and having a chance to recover. If that's not practical, maybe they could just summon blood directly from the blood banks and to a fly-by-delivery where any enemy you fly over gets a health boost.

Actually the fly-by thing could work as a weapon too if something else was used instead of blood. Did vampires have access to naphtha or was it just Laderic's renegades? That could be cool.

Certain abilities in the game are already intended to be swappable for other ones, so these would come under that category.

Varulven
14th Jan 2014, 12:40
A few week ago, I guess, the devs were testing some new abilities. I saw a razielim throwing some kind of a bomb while hovering above the enemies. I thing it would be possible that he can deliver blood while a fly-by-manouver.

But I'd prefer a 'full contact' while delivering blood. Because the vamps could become OP if there is a sentinel who is flying above his teammates and they instandly get blood.

Hell.... my poor english skillz xDDD

Vampmaster
14th Jan 2014, 13:16
A few week ago, I guess, the devs were testing some new abilities. I saw a razielim throwing some kind of a bomb while hovering above the enemies. I thing it would be possible that he can deliver blood while a fly-by-manouver.

But I'd prefer a 'full contact' while delivering blood. Because the vamps could become OP if there is a sentinel who is flying above his teammates and they instandly get blood.

Hell.... my poor english skillz xDDD

I don't know if you noticed that certain abilities have a countdown in the bottom left of the screen that has to reach zero before you can use the ability again. I was suggesting it as one of those.