PDA

View Full Version : The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Deus_Ex_Machina
15th Sep 2008, 01:55
This may have already been posted elsewhere, and if so I apologize.

Anyway, I highly recommend The Illuminatus! Trilogy to any Deus Ex fan, as its filled with many of the conspiracy theories mentioned throughout the Deus Ex series.

c0ma
15th Sep 2008, 03:00
I'd also recommend "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. Great plot, and it's filled with historical details about the Knights Templar and the conspiracy groups that followed from it.

Gizmostuff
18th Sep 2008, 12:10
This may have already been posted elsewhere, and if so I apologize.

Anyway, I highly recommend The Illuminatus! Trilogy to any Deus Ex fan, as its filled with many of the conspiracy theories mentioned throughout the Deus Ex series.

I actually mentioned these books to be added in Deus Ex 3 to be found throughout the game. Great books to read! Add more to the list if you can. Lets give Eidos as many book ideas as possible.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=79338

pewbeng
18th Sep 2008, 17:41
I actually mentioned these books to be added in Deus Ex 3 to be found throughout the game. Great books to read! Add more to the list if you can. Lets give Eidos as many book ideas as possible.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=79338

I wouldn't like that. If I think of the Illuminatus trilogy i think of it as a work of fiction, mostly. If you hear someone use the word "Illuminati" today, most people *kinda* know what's going on. And the Illuminati in Deus Ex are too much modeled after the stuff the media fed us with. It didn't exactly reinvent the wheel.

I don't think it's like that in the Deus Ex microcosm.

You couldn't show clips of the TV show Roswell in Deus Ex. Or... The X-Files.

I can't really explain it, my english doesn't seem to be good enough to form my thoughts without investing more time than my attention span can take, but I hope you get my point of view.

MaxxQ1
18th Sep 2008, 20:17
I read The Illuminatus! trilogy (about 2 years ago), and while it was okay, I just didn't really get into it. Maybe it's just me, but it almost read like a parody of conspiracy theories - I felt like I should have been laughing, but just wasn't getting the joke(s).

I haven't read Foucault's Pendulum, though. I might have to check that one out.

iWait
28th Sep 2008, 04:20
That's because it is a parody. The authors were two friends who basically said, "Lets see if you can follow from where I left off." That is why it sometimes jump from place to place for no apparent reason. Still a good read though.