PDA

View Full Version : Anybody miss Core

cgtombraider
11th Sep 2008, 20:17
Does anybody miss Core Design making Tomb Raider games? I do but Crystal Dynamics are great too!

josh1122
11th Sep 2008, 20:27
Think everyone does. But no use in dwelling on the past. Time to move forward :thumbsup:

Dr.Willard
11th Sep 2008, 20:27
I hate to start telling everyone this is right and this is wrong, but sadly this topic is in the wrong section of the forum.

I can feel this topic may spark a little bit of tension so providing the staff allow the topic, I think it would be great if we all strive to make it relaxing and not too heated if you catch my drift.

Yes, I openly admit I miss Core Design. On the other hand, do I want them back? No, I do not want them back. Core Design said in many interviews that they could no longer cope with the demands of developing a Tomb Raider every year and thus wanted to end it. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation is evidence of this.

Consequently, to bring them back wouldn't make any sense. You can't produce a fantastic Tomb Raider game if you feel you and your team can not cope with the demands.

I love Core Design games. They're great. I love the thrill and I love the challenge. They will always be favourites of mine. Crystal Dynamics are needed though. As I stated above, Core Design staff were finding it hard to implement new things, which is hardly a surprise after the amount of games they have done.

Crystal Dynamics are a new developer with new ideas. They are experienced on the modern day gamer which would explain the somewhat large change in the gameplay style. The Tomb Raider series needed something new and exciting and you have your answer right here.

So to go back to my earlier self questioning, yes I do miss them, but I don't think they should come back. I want Crystal Dynamics to take it from here. It's a change, but a necessary change. You need to look at Tomb Raider from a slightly different perspective, which I assume is natural to an outside developer.

Crystal Dynamics will surely add something new to the series and it's the new features which will revive the series once again.

josh1122
11th Sep 2008, 20:30
I hate to start telling everyone this is right and this is wrong, but sadly this topic is in the wrong section of the forum.

I can feel this topic may spark a little bit of tension so providing the staff allow the topic, I think it would be great if we all strive to make it relaxing and not too heated if you catch my drift.

Yes, I openly admit I miss Core Design. On the other hand, do I want them back? No, I do not want them back. Core Design said in many interviews that they could no longer cope with the demands of developing a Tomb Raider every year and thus wanted to end it. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation is evidence of this.

Consequently, to bring them back wouldn't make any sense. You can't produce a fantastic Tomb Raider game if you feel you and your team can not cope with the demands.

I love Core Design games. They're great. I love the thrill and I love the challenge. They will always be favourites of mine. Crystal Dynamics are needed though. As I stated above, Core Design staff were finding it hard to implement new things, which is hardly a surprise after the amount of games they have done.

Crystal Dynamics are a new developer with new ideas. They are experienced on the modern day gamer which would explain the somewhat large change in the gameplay style. The Tomb Raider series needed something new and exciting and you have your answer right here.

So to go back to my earlier self questioning, yes I do miss them, but I don't think they should come back. I want Crystal Dynamics to take it from here. It's a change, but a necessary change. You need to look at Tomb Raider from a slightly different perspective, which I assume is natural to an outside developer.

Crystal Dynamics will surely add something new to the series and it's the new features which will revive the series once again.

Very well explained. Wish I could explain stuff like that :lol: :)

LC is Me
11th Sep 2008, 20:35
I loved Core, but it was their time to go.

And CD is doing a heck of a job.
:D

I love them both.

Mr Croft
11th Sep 2008, 20:48
I loved Core, but it was their time to go.

And CD is doing a heck of a job.
:D

I love them both.

Agree with you ;) :thumbsup:

Tomb_Raiderx
11th Sep 2008, 21:54
I liked Core, but I just like Crystal better, they are doing a hell of a job better.

Everything CD has done to TR I prefer over Core's, especially the controls.

I love CD!

larac_tr
11th Sep 2008, 22:09
Core was great but i don't want them back. i like CD a lot more and they're doing a great job. Kudos to you, Crystal D. :thumbsup: :D

Bampire
11th Sep 2008, 22:37
Agreed, with Dr. Willard.

I also miss Core, but like everyone else has said 'it was their time to go, time to move on'. Which is true. Core didn't really evolve too much when they were still making the games. They used all the same game engine to create each TR game, alls they did was just add more and more polygons. Even looking back at their attempt to make TR:AE, it seemed too much like the original TR game they've made. As much as I love that engine, they didn't really change much, and when they did try to change things they made a game that wasn't very successful -- but many people still do enjoy such a game.

It was right for Eidos to switch to Crystal, not only Toby was working with them, but they've been improving on Lara, and her story. Re-creating, especially the game play experience which is wonderful for Next Gen' gamers. Lara's Evolving, in a way where we can finally see her as real, from the games to the models. Her moves are much more complex and elegant, let alone her facial features and the weather of the places she travels.

Crystal is Lara's savior, and Toby works there as well, so he helped save his baby and is attending to her wounds so we can play her once again.

I do miss Core, because they did make fantastic TR games, but they didn't change much when it came to game engine. Core is a favourite because they help bring Lara to life, but once they tried to kill our Lara, all hope was lost from them. Core is a favourite of mine. But as the new TR games are stocked onto store shelves, whilst more and more Tomb Raider games are being worked on, by Crystal, eventually no one will play the classics anymore--or even really acknowledge them, as the new TR players will only play the new ones. If that makes sense.

fibra
12th Sep 2008, 08:02

I personally want core design back.So they could no longer cope with the demands of developing a Tomb Raider every year.I agree in this one, after all it is a hard job in a short time,CD has not done that until now, creating a very liked game every year, and each year with a different sotry, not a triology or such.So i think if core had time, they could also make better stories for the game.An example was AoD.They had time to give AoD a relly good story.And with time also the gameplay would have changed cuz they wouldn't leave the gameplay the same as in the first games.It is the opposite for me actually.This is a reason for me wanting them back.The games could have been much better with time.I personally want them back.

EDIT: well about the elegant movements that goar said, i noticed in the game primal, which was released in 2003 and had REALLY good graphics, too good for that time, i could say the water looked almost like ps3,well the game was pretty good but even that one did not completely have elegant movements, and i have not seen any game of that time having really elegant movements, so this is another reason for me to want core back.I can not see it as moving forward.There is no forward or backward to me.

Devil666
12th Sep 2008, 11:34
Agree with what Goar and Dr. Willard said :)
For me personally I wouldn't want Core back, not because they're not talented or something, but I think they have old ideas of how the game should look and be like ... As it was said before me, the "old" TR games prove that .. Yes, they were great and had an irreplaceable spirit(as I feel it), but new days are around so a bit of fresh blood is always good :)

Rexie
12th Sep 2008, 11:55
I miss core, I know that people will say "Get over it" but this is how Movie/games/etc franchises ALWAYS goes, (I am going to quite AVGN here), either way, you bow down 100& to TRL&TRA, or be labled as the finest nostalgic idiot who can't get over the past.

"And that's the real dillema why nothing can be compared."