PDA

View Full Version : Oh Noes X 100!

Romeo
11th Sep 2008, 15:38
Remember that "Most Contriversal Thread" when someonejoked how EA was planning to buy Eidos? IT'S NO JOKE!

Glen Schofield: There are quite a few. I'm quite happy to have my name on Blood Omen 2; was a fairly good game. Gex was a blast to make and we made a bunch of those. Gex 3 – God, that was a marketing nightmare. But hey – Lord of the Rings and some of the Disney stuff too.

I'd been at Capcom [USA] for a bit and I went to Crystal Dynamics when they'd gotten rid of their president and were now being run by the venture capitalist. So they guy who funded it came in and took over. I met him one evening and he was a great guy; he hired me on the spot. I took a look at the technology and thought, 'my god – they've got a great freakin' engine here. Here's Gex... but they couldn't put it together. And that was actually what I was better at. So we kind of put Gex together and we formed another team and put together Akuji the Heartless on the original Xbox – and that was fun.

And Mad Dash Racing too! We went to E3 that year and we had as many kiosks as Halo, believe it or not. We were in the Microsoft booth and there was Halo – and we were the cartoon. That one was great fun to make. We fixed up Crystal, make it profitable and sold it to Eidos in the coming years.

IGN: Do you think Gex is about due for a comeback?

Glen Schofield: I dunno. I went to EA when they were trying to buy a bunch of companies and I was trying to get them to buy Eidos because they've got this portfolio. But I think the problem with the portfolio was that maybe they were 'B' level [titles]. You could say Tomb Raider is making a comeback – and they also have Thief and Deus Ex - or Soul Reaver! Bring back Soul Reaver!

We're so doomed if they do buy Eidos. You can kiss Deus Ex-quality games goodbye. For those curious the quoted sections are from this interview: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/909/909303p1.html

El_Bel
11th Sep 2008, 15:45
I dont worry. Eidos is reforming so they can hold the company without selling it to anyone.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Sep 2008, 16:03
I voted for the very safe "I don't want to believe it/rumour" :eek: option.

I'll panic later, if it should come true. :whistle:

Dragonlord
11th Sep 2008, 17:05
I stick with rumor... That said if it would happen all the good dreams about DX3 would go :lmao:

Larington
11th Sep 2008, 21:00
This is kinda out of context really, in the sense that theres no statement here saying that EA is going to buy Eidos, rather, an attempt was made to get a purchase going which never happened. Past tense.

Maybe EA will change their mind but, for the moment, it seems unlikely.

Romeo
11th Sep 2008, 21:15
No attempt was made to purchase before. It was said that Eidos didn't really have anything that would make it worth buying, then the guy proceeds to say that now Eidos has a new Tombraider coming out, as well as Deus Ex, which, according to his previous statement, puts them back in the crosshairs, non?

Demiurge
11th Sep 2008, 21:19
That someone would be me, or at least I remember talking of a merger. I do believe that the conspiracy is no longer a story. The joke backfired :eek:
EA has now set world domination it its sights.

Jerion
11th Sep 2008, 23:24
That someone would be me, or at least I remember talking of a merger. I do believe that the conspiracy is no longer a story. The joke backfired :eek:
EA has now set world domination it its sights.

They'll have to get in line. Bungie has been working towards world domination for quite some time now. ;)

jcp28
11th Sep 2008, 23:40
If such an event occured, I would have to gouge my eyes out, then set myself on fire.:eek: Mass Effect and Spore nonwithstanding, there's no doubt in my mind that EA would find some way to really destroy Tomb Raider and Deus Ex by turning them into watered-down versions of their former selves. And then there would be no more depth.

Eh, actually, these are just games. I'd probably just go about by business as usual, as I don't play too many games these days anyway.

minus0ne
12th Sep 2008, 01:35
The poll options should've included:

I'll throw my PC out of the window and go back to Tetris and Minesweeper.

As for:

EA has put out some good games recently, might be a good thing.
Yes, that's what EA does: they look for talent and promising titles, then buy the developers whole, then let them release a game as fast as possible (preferably around December, who cares if it's finished), glue on some nasty DRM, and then proceed to disassemble said development house and sell it for parts, erasing all evidence of a once promising devhouse :p :(

DXeXodus
12th Sep 2008, 03:56
My opinion of EA is slowly changing from a deep hatred to slightly skeptical to be honest. They seem to be taking alot more chances and making bolder decisions. I am definitely not "pro" and EA takeover of EIDOS, but I believe it wouldn't be as bad as if it were a few years ago. I mean ID software saw something good in them as a publisher. Maybe if EA took over, the DX3 developer team would get more funding, which would be great considering they have already had funds cut for the project. Although, on the other hand, EA would probably demand a Christmas 2008 release date. :)

Romeo
12th Sep 2008, 06:17
The poll options should've included:

I'll throw my PC out of the window and go back to Tetris and Minesweeper.

As for:

Yes, that's what EA does: they look for talent and promising titles, then buy the developers whole, then let them release a game as fast as possible (preferably around December, who cares if it's finished), glue on some nasty DRM, and then proceed to disassemble said development house and sell it for parts, erasing all evidence of a once promising devhouse :p :(
Wouldn't you need your computer to play Tetris and Minesweeper though?

And EA would offer new funding, I have to say, Army of Two and Spore were two high quality games made by EA, the newest Need for Speed looks like alot of work is being put into it, and Mass Effect and Rockband came out just wonderfully, even under the jurisdiction of EA.

DXeXodus
12th Sep 2008, 06:46
Thats quite a sudden change of heart you have there it seems.

pewbeng
12th Sep 2008, 08:19
I agree that EA redeems itself as of lately.
But... I'd still be disappointed.

'tis a matter of "How would it help?" - and since I can't find an answer to that, I automatically have to move to the next question: "How can it hurt?" - Plenty of possibilities there. They don't have to kick in (dumbed down game, release@december, yada, yada) - but the thought of the possibility alone would hurt the upcoming hype (speaking of oct 20th..), because it would be overshadowed by doubt. That alone is reason enough to keep EIDOS from making a DEAL WITH THE DEVIL :D

Sort of.. "Never change a running system"!

minus0ne
12th Sep 2008, 10:04
Okay, well, I didn't say which computer I'd throw out the window. Probably just that ol' P2 lying around somewhere :D

And EA would offer new funding, I have to say, Army of Two and Spore were two high quality games made by EA, the newest Need for Speed looks like alot of work is being put into it, and Mass Effect and Rockband came out just wonderfully, even under the jurisdiction of EA.
Ah, but is the additional funding worth the 'selling of one's soul' part, or the inescapable total deconstruction of the studio, or the unrealistic deadlines, bad QA, funky DRM, and almost exclusive devotion to the console market?

(PS, obviously no one's told you about the EA underground torture facility :p )

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty damn sure Mass Effect would've been both a better and a longer game had BioWare gone to a different publisher (and it's not like BW is a small indie devhouse that didn't have its own legs to stand on, which should give some indication as to the malevolent influence of EA, even over almost "equal partners").

Fen
12th Sep 2008, 10:22

You've obviously played very little spore. Because that game is god awful once you get over the fancy editor. EA are pure evil. They destroy anything they touch. I will be devestated if they ever get in charge of the deus ex series.

gh0s7
12th Sep 2008, 12:26
I have voted number 2, though "disappointed" hardly matches the sorrow and despair I'd succumb to, if such were to happen. :(

Freddo
12th Sep 2008, 14:43
Just a rumor so I'm not concerned at the moment. But it's something I really don't want to see happen.

Romeo
12th Sep 2008, 19:27
Okay, well, I didn't say which computer I'd throw out the window. Probably just that ol' P2 lying around somewhere :D

Ah, but is the additional funding worth the 'selling of one's soul' part, or the inescapable total deconstruction of the studio, or the unrealistic deadlines, bad QA, funky DRM, and almost exclusive devotion to the console market?

(PS, obviously no one's told you about the EA underground torture facility :p )

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty damn sure Mass Effect would've been both a better and a longer game had BioWare gone to a different publisher (and it's not like BW is a small indie devhouse that didn't have its own legs to stand on, which should give some indication as to the malevolent influence of EA, even over almost "equal partners").
Oh hell yes it is. If I could make some sick profit, I'd totally sell my soul. It's worthless until I'm dead anyways,

And no man, it was BioWare who originally said "this is when we're releasing it, no exceptions". Then EA bought them, and the whole gaming world shuddered, yet BioWare still came back and said "it's ok, they're letting us do our thing. It's still a single-console game, and it's still releasing when we said it would." I recognize that many people still attribute the faults in Mass Effect to EA, but for once, I gotta say, that ain't fair. EA completely kept their hands off, any faults lie with BioWare.

I agree that EA redeems itself as of lately.
But... I'd still be disappointed.

'tis a matter of "How would it help?" - and since I can't find an answer to that, I automatically have to move to the next question: "How can it hurt?" - Plenty of possibilities there. They don't have to kick in (dumbed down game, release@december, yada, yada) - but the thought of the possibility alone would hurt the upcoming hype (speaking of oct 20th..), because it would be overshadowed by doubt. That alone is reason enough to keep EIDOS from making a DEAL WITH THE DEVIL :D

Sort of.. "Never change a running system"!
Don't you mean "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? That' half my philosophy in life. The other half being "If it is broke, don't fix it. Go out and party instead."

You've obviously played very little spore. Because that game is god awful once you get over the fancy editor. EA are pure evil. They destroy anything they touch. I will be devestated if they ever get in charge of the deus ex series.
I own the full game, and I love creative ability in games, and as of yet, there's no other game that offers that much creativity, so Spore's near the top of my all-time list. But I admit that it has more to do with Maxis than EA, albeit, EA must have kept their hands off that too (Two and a half year devellopment cycle and no console support? My my...)

ikenstein
12th Sep 2008, 19:50
ea suks. check this 2005 video of spore and compare it to the dumbed down thing they released -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198

add the dumbing down to the drm and you have a recipe for disaster.

amazon have now deleted about 2000 negative reviews of spore, the same day ea paid them for a bunch of adds for the sim. basically they sold their credibility for a couple of bucks.

i bet the people behind this fiasco think they are smart too, not realising they are corporate puppets, the spawn of satan.

Romeo
12th Sep 2008, 20:10
Someone's a wee bit dramatic. ;)

El_Bel
12th Sep 2008, 22:08
5 star: 3% (73)
4 star: 2% (50)
3 star: 0% (21)
2 star: 2% (56)
1 star: 90% (2,016)
(spore stats:amazon)

No ****!! !Most of them yell about drm and dumped down gameplay!!

Eidos will resist, i think most of the people who work on Deus Ex have soul and they wouldn't sell it to the devil!!

Unstoppable
13th Sep 2008, 08:33
I think it will be good. More money and more Thief and Deus Ex games. EA has been putting out better games recently and giving their developers more time. Crysis, Warhammer Online, and other games were delayed to make them better.

Unstoppable
13th Sep 2008, 08:36
Oh yeah one more thing there's only one Deus Ex quality game and that's the first. The second one bombed.

Dragonlord
13th Sep 2008, 13:03
Uhm... you know those mentioned games are not considered "great" by the masses right? So your claim doesn't hold true.

minus0ne
14th Sep 2008, 04:37
Oh hell yes it is. If I could make some sick profit, I'd totally sell my soul. It's worthless until I'm dead anyways,
I sort of meant selling one's creative freedom in exchange for getting to work on well-budgeted, mass-market targeted sequels :p EA isn't one to release products for the more niche markets.

And no man, it was BioWare who originally said "this is when we're releasing it, no exceptions". Then EA bought them, and the whole gaming world shuddered, yet BioWare still came back and said "it's ok, they're letting us do our thing. It's still a single-console game, and it's still releasing when we said it would." I recognize that many people still attribute the faults in Mass Effect to EA, but for once, I gotta say, that ain't fair. EA completely kept their hands off, any faults lie with BioWare.
Well they would say that, wouldn't they? ;) I'll concede BioWare messed up on some fronts, but it was EA who decided to put the heavy DRM on and make it even worse. I still have hopes for the two sequels though, although they'll have to make major changes (for one drop the seemingly random-generated planets in favour of some actual content), but now I'm straying off-topic.

Anyway, I understand you might not say the worst things about your possible future overlords :rasp: But I'm seriously not convinced EA's got the best interests' of Eidos (and its employees) at heart were such a takeover to take place. They'll need at least a couple years' solid track record to undo some of the atrocities they've put out in the past decade :p

Romeo
16th Sep 2008, 06:31
If I was offered a few million for my creative abilities, I'd sell 'em and retire. And laugh.

And on that last note of hope for ME 2/3: I'm with you there.

Tracer Tong
19th May 2009, 21:33
I'm here from the future just to say: Square Enix.

DXeXodus
20th May 2009, 11:16
Slight Necropost you got there.